Support Group 10

Comments

• M.ister W has already made a donation to my charity for winning one of his previous offerings so was going to leave this for someone else but there is so much on offer now think I will have a go anyway.

Not selfish is it?

• Not selfish at all hon! It's all for a good cause image

Oh, and before I forget -

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG! to tremendous Group 10 image

Am off to a christening in about 15 mins and then need to run the gauntlet at the supermarket as have my girlie friends coming over for a burfday dinner since I've got somewhere else I need to be next weekend when it's actually my burfday - can't think what that is off the top of my head though.......!!! image See, I have an excuse for getting a wee bit pished on Sunday since I'll be another year younger that day image

Have a fab day everyone, one week to go!!!!!!!!!!! xx

• 8 days to go and I'm sat here with ice on my ankle not having run since last Sunday and having run only 15 miles in the last two weeks. Trying to stay positive but really tough at the minute. Seeing physio again on Monday and already booked in to have my ankle taped on Saturday for Sundays run. I'm going to need lots of encouragement if and when I get to you guys image

Running for Great Ormond Street Hospital so I know that my ankle pain is nothing compared with the challenges that the kids there are facing.

In self motivating style: Come on Sangster suck it up and move on!!!
  • Mornin Loveliesimage

Oh Andy that sounds bad Good Luck Mate:   Get wired for sound and get some inspirational music to keep you positive.

Just juggling my 70 or so songs on my Ipod trying to get ballads at the beginning for a steady start, then build up a little after thirty mins or so, then and hour of inspirational high volume stuff, wont help but will be a little more deaf!!image

Clear blue skies here in sunny Wakefield today, no volcanic ash!! Really bad when the weather is good but my training programme has me on a rest day Booooooooo!!!

So packing my bag ( for the third time ) Nearly, less than a week.( Think I Cant wait!!)

ANDY what about. "Search for the Hero"  M. People.........."Fix You" Coldplay  or    "Born to Run" Sprigsteen..

Keep Positive, all will come good I am sure

Bye 4 now

P

•  Just walked over Tower Bridge amoungst the hoards of tourists. Got a few nerves thinking about next Sunday.

I'm ditching my IPod for this one. I figure if the crowds cheering should be inspiration enough. Dont want to block out the noise.

@ Andy

Good luck, hope it comes good. I also haven't done much in the last two weeks due to shin splints. The positive thing is all the long runs are done so being injured now isn't such a huge deal. I find the niggles tend to disappear on race day anyway.

• Hi guys, well I was glad to make it back to these shores eventually yesterday.  Was in Zurich Wednesday/Thursday, and then got home yesterday - it was only 7 trains, 3 taxis, 2 buses and a ferry - don't know what the problem was myself!

Still its good to be back after 15 hours travelling

• Hope all the injured people in this group are doing ok. I'm resting  til the marathon, not run in a week and that ws just aknee testing runette. Anyway hopefully we'll all be ok on the day.

Couple of questions: Are there 10 groups in total (ie this one will be east to find as we'll be last?)

Are there really going to be vodka jelly babies? and how does one make such thngs anyway?

one week to go!

• See you in a week, 10 miles for me today then it is only 10 more miles, split between 3 sessions, before the big day.

Good luck all you injured peeps.

I too am ditching the ipod for this one, I want to soak up all the atmposphere.

• Woken up this morning with major butterflies, just one week today!

Off for my last long run shortly, it looks like another lovely day, just really hope it's not too warm next week.
    Am also ditching ipod for next week, want to hear everythingimage

• Morning All,

Must admit starting to feel slightly nervous now... I can't believe only 1 week to Goooo.......I hope those with injuries and niggles have a well rested week , with plenty of feet up opportunities, not always easy with work and families to keep happy.

• Hello lovelies!

So, this time next week you'll be on your way round the course on one of the most amazing days you'll ever have image I posted the following on a separate thread, but I know we have a lot of first timers, peeps worried about an injury and resting up, and lots of people with incredible stories on this thread so I wanted to put it up speshul for you lot (I'm a soppy cow really lol). This really helped me last year, it never ceases to amaze me the power of words xxxxxxxxxxxx

"When you stand on the Start Line, you join the club. When you stand at the Starting Line you earn your membership. Millions dream of being where you are. You are no longer a dreamer. You are a doer.

Thousands more started a training programme but never finished. They started with the same enthusiasm as (or more than) you. They started with more or less the same physical gifts or disadvantages as you did. They had no more and no less reason to be successful than you.

But somewhere along the way, they lost that enthusiasm. Somewhere on the road or on the track or treadmill, they decided that the rewards just weren't worth the effort. They decided that they could live without finding their limits, without challenging their expectations of themselves and without taking a hard look at their image of themselves.

You didn't. If you’re standing at the Start Line, you've not only accepted the challenge, but you've also beaten back the demons. You've conquered your imagination and self-imposed limitations. You've gone further, got stronger and become tougher than you ever imagined."

I can't wait to meet you all next week - don't forget if you are around in London on the Friday there's a group of us getting together for a pasta meal near Victoria if you'd like to join us? x

• thanks for that Karen, I am certainly proud of the effort I have put in to get here, everybody should be, especially when you think back to the dark and dismal January training runs in our coldest winter for 30 years where the real work was done. It wasn't as hard going out this morning to do 10 with the sun shining that's for sure.

I will be past you by this time next week I hope. Incredible thought

• Injury update: -
    ankle feeling better, RICE seems to (finally) be helping. Arnica tablets are being taken along with ibuprofen (I hope there's no contra indications for that combination) and it's making progress at last. Did 10 mile bike ride alongside Jen this morning with our 4 year old on the tagalong with no after affects so far!

Will still need shed loads of encouragement when I get to you guys but at least I feel like I will make it to you guys now!

Thanks for the messages of support!
  • cheers Karen, great post.

I look forward to seeing you as I run past on Sunday, I know its hard to spot everyone but have a look at this link so you know WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR !!!!

WWW.FREDANDWILMA.CO.UK !!!

P.S - I'M FRED !!
  • FORGOT....

should be passing you at 2 hours and 30 mins from start line. No special request, just your loudest YABA DABBA DOOOOOOOO !!
  • THANKS KAREN....image as you said "the power of world's" I found that very inspirational..... 
  • Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Location of Support Group*

* Please note these are older images, we are relocated to the other side of the road!  WE WILL BE ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE AFTER THE ZEBRA CROSSING, which is immediately after the water station, not on the left as shown in the following images.

Its also worth mentioning that with 1000's of runners coming past for hours and hours its almost impossible for us to spot you.  You need to know where we will be and look out for us. 

The support groups will be lined up along the railing in number order, in the image below you will be coming from the right, you can see us just after the water station (Vittel banners).

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/blueprint_03/P1000085.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/2393339462_b34df5d118.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2392507939_744bf4bdef.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2300/2392508205_2543eea8cb.jpg

Remember, we will be on the right hand side. 

• Special Needs (handing items to RW staff at the Expo stand)

Just worth mentioning that if youre handing anything in at the Expo, make sure you clearly tell them that its for the Runners World mile 17 support area.

You also need to clearly label any items with your Forum Name, Support Group number and Race Number. 

Dont just stick a post-it note on a gel as the notes can come off, best put everything inside a tied clear plastic bag.

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Stuff we still need for Sunday is

1 large ball of string
    1 pair of scissors
    Horns, whistles, rattles, megaphone

If you can bring any of these to the Expo, please make a note on the main VLM Supporters Thread..  Ta!

• He hem - *brandishes great big stick* - and what, pray tell, are we doing on page 2?!!!! image
  • HI guys only 6 dayd to go image

Don't worry if the nerves are setting in, you'll be fine on the day.

Hope those with injury niggles are all doing good.

Got loads on at work today and off tomorrow as got exam so may be a bit quiet.

Gill xx

• OI OI!!!!!!! Wakey wakey everyone - *checks under the beds to make sure no-one is hiding* - it's very quiet today.....................................
  • Hello, I'm eer!image

Must be the weather, cold and wet in Yorkshire 2day.

Thanks for the words of encouragement earlier, there gr8.

Do we leave things at the Excel at the " Runners World Stand"?? or a dedicated drop off area?

Cannot concentrate on work, hope I can sleep this week, not good when something is on my mind.

Just found out that the charity I am running for " leonard Cheshire Disability" have there 2nd cheering point at 17 miles too.   You may have to pass out some extra vodka jelly babies!!

Bye 4 Nowimage

• Sure you said you were busy earlier Karen - must have mis-heard youimage

Still here, and panicing with every cough, sneeze, stiff joint and everything else - perhaps it would be easier if I wasn't so busy crossing everything!

Gentle swim & sauna tonight, then physio tomorrow morning - its hell!

• I'm here too.  Just chjecking in to try and calm myself down, as I'm getting a bit excited about Sunday.

To be honest, reading everyone's messages hasn't helped at all. I'm more excited now.

Have been practising my Mile 17 "special slowing-down-but-not-stopping-completely pacing" to receive a bucketful of vodka babies, exchange hi-5s and formal handshakes and laugh at the empty bottles of pink fizz on the ground.   Think I've got that sussed now.

CHeers

• tick...tick...tick, come on Sunday, i'm waiting !!
  • Can't wait now, sooo excited, and my running partner might be able to get to the UK now (I hope, I hope).

Gah just waiting for my new Skins to arrive too....stupid Vulcano image

• image  Yes I agree Tick Tock, Tick Tock......wishing my life away!!

ARE YOU STRANGE???   I certainly am!

Over the last 10days or so I have taken to some very strange behaviour, or so my wife thinks.....

1.       Due to my feet blisters I have devised a great way to get in and out of the bath without letting my feet get wet.

2.       I shower on one leg, not easy with shower gel swimming around.

3.       I sleep with both feet outside the sheets hoping “The Fresh Air” will heal my newly burst blisters.

4.       I wear slippers at work to not irritate my feet.

5.       I go to bed early, need the rest they say!

6.       Result is I wake at 4am. I am a morning person so OK, gives me a couple of hours every day to run the full distance in my head and worry how I might get on.

7.       I have packed a bag for the weekend, good job travelling by train as bag far too heavy to fly ( As if that were possible anyway)

8.       I have 8 safety pins why? No idea... in case they go blunt!!

9.       3 pairs of running socks why? No idea.

10.   Warm clothes in case it rains, cool clothes, sun cream.

11.   Tinned Pears, Sultana’s sweet potatoes, cereal bars, drinks all colours, all flavours.

12.   I think I am sailing single handed around the world, I am mad!!! ( But won’t take anything out)

13.   I have learnt the names of all the Bridges as they appear on the Embankment, just in case I am delirious running the last 4 miles and need a distraction.

14.   4 and a bit days still to go..... What next?     Could check my bag again!!!

Bye fellow loonies!!!!!!!!!!!image

• Peter, Peter, Peter,  thats 1 pair of socks for each Peter !!

I agree with you, you is MAD !!

At least nobody can say you havn't prepared !!

Just remember to collect your race number !

My Wife did wake me up the other night to say I was running in my sleep, I said " it was race pace and an important part of my training"   She wasn't impressed !!

Cant wait, just hope it isn't too hot like last year.

Respect to everyone who is running, supporting and to all the Marathon Widdows out there !!