Chrons disease and op recovery

Hi Folks

Can anyone offer any advice to help me get running again.

I had a 'surprise' right hemicolectomy (right half of colon removed) in november - I went to hospital with suspected appendicitus hence the surprise.  Since then I have developed more pains in my stomach and am constantly exhausted.  I can't walk for more than 20 mins or so before the pain kicks in and I am totally knackered afterwards.  The pain always gets worse in the evenings and nights and if I've done anything active I will be exhausted for the rest of that day and the day after.

The GP and consultant all said I had adhesions and that I would just have to learn to live with the pain - but they did a CT scan incase the 'adhesions' were causing blockages etc.

Just had the result today and the scan showed Chrons disease - I've had a read up on it and it explains the exhaustion.  I think I've got adhesions too but was so shocked most of what he said didn't sink in.

What I really want to know is how can I ever get back to being fit again if any small activity is causing pain followed by exhaustion - normally you'd just increase what you do little by little each week but I can't because of the pain.

Has anyone else had this problem or can you offer some suggestions - I've deferred my London marathon place for this year but I really want to be there next year!

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded! Dx

Comments

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Hi KK

Thanks for that link, I've had a quick look around the site, there's lots on there but I couldn't see where I could get a RADAR key from, that would be VERY useful!

I can't run at all at the  moment, all that jiggling about inside is painful and I'm too exhausted anyway!

How long was it before you could run again once when you were unwell with it?

• I have crohn's disease too, it can be quite overwhelming when you first get diagnosed but with the right treatment you should be able to live a fairly normal life and return to running before too long.

The main trouble with crohn's is the lack of nutrition, when your bowel is inflamed you won't absorb food properly which increase recovery time and stops you healing, which then makes you worse so it's a vicious circle. My best advice would be to rest as much as possible (as in do hardly anything, bedrest if possible) and drink loads of fluids, if you can't eat try and take on nourishment through drinks like fortisip which your GP can get you to allow you to heal a bit.

Also speak to your consultant about medication, they'll try steroids, mesalazine, azathioprine, and possibly infliximab or adalimumab. For me the infliximab (initially) and then adalimumab have been an absolute life saver. Most of the time you wouldn't even think I had an illness. Once things are under control you can look at keeping your diet healthy which will ultimately keep you healthy, does take a bit of perseverance though.

Hope you get recovering well. Crohn's is a pain in the arse but you're not alone

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Cheers Rob, I hate the idea of all those meds but I suppose there's no alternative.  I like the bedrest and lots of resting - it's all I can manage right now anyhow but I've heard some of the meds can make some of the symptoms worse - I suppose it's trial and error.

Thanks anyway, Dx

• http://radar-shop.org.uk/Range.aspx?id=0

I was reading this thread and wondered what a RADAR key was, so did a search.

KK I don't have Crohns or anything specific apart from an intolerance to gluten (we believe) I went through a bad patch last year getting cought short a time or 3 and seem to be suffering a bit at the moment, do you know If I could get a key - I know it probably says somewhere but I haven't had chance to look yet.

Thanks,

SJ

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Hi SJ, I read that info too and as far as I could tell you didn't need to be disabled or have 'a condition' as such, just a need and perhaps an inability to queue!  If you are disable you don't have to pay VAT, but you can get a key if you're not for £4.50.