Coventry Half-Marathon

Comments

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    The worst thing is when that damn woman came up to me and shook my hand for helping to pace her and finishing the race in under 90 mins.  Can hear it now plod ....... plod ........ plod ........ arrrrrrrhhhhhh
  • Hey Everyone (also hey Road-Kill, good to see you back for another year) image

This is my 3rd year in a row and very much looking forward to it again. My heart beats faster just thinking about running it.

I would say the course is "testy", it's not flat but certainly not hills. Mild hill training i would say would cover you.

I love this HM 'cos it's very friendly, good value even depsite the ever-increasing entry fee. Nice but not too hard course, well organised, traffic free and great support all around. Bits of green as well to make it lok a little nicer along the way, also a downhill finish! image

Bring it on!!

1:45.00 ish as recovery run from the london marathon.

• Hi Steven - 'Repeat business' is always a good indication of a quality product!
  • Hey Darkman - is that you in the race guide?image
  • How much is the cov half???.I was going to enter on the day..

Went the game there once when Liverpool draw 1-1

• Get your skates on Graham! Postal entries have closed, online entries close this Sunday.

£16.50 affiliated, £18.50 unaffiliated (less if you have a Cov leisure-card thingy).

Not the cheapest, but pretty good value.

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Road-Kill

Holy sh*t thats my ugly mug from last year, image can remember the photographer taking that one after the finish.  Don't ask me who the woman was 'cos we only met when we sat down to have our chips removed - honest.

Sorry folks but you got to endure my ugly mug inside the Race Guide at the bottom of the Rules page learing at you, if that don't put you off turning up then you made of strong stuff.  Just for measure I will be turning up for this one and will be autographing your race guides if asked for a nominal fee before the race lol. image  Please form an orderly queue and no pushing.

Running in the Oxford 10k this Sunday and looking for another sub 40mins and PB, hoping for sub 90 mins for this HM being as I was at the halfway point in 92 mins at the VLM.

Graham there are NO entries on the day as this is a chip timed race.

• I wondered if she might be the heavy breathing fast woman who was chasing you round Cov! image

It should be quiet in Oxford on Sunday - they'll all be at Wembley to watch their team lose to York City! image

Looks like you're just a bit faster than me - my PBs for HM and 10km are 1:36:04 and 41:46. I'll be a lot slower next weekend though. Good luck on Sunday.

• Yeah there are NO entries on the day so be quick with getting in the entry. It has improved my image of Coventry and it suprised me that there are some nice areas to pass through.

Yes roadkill - repeat business is key ain't it? image I'm the same too as in not going for a time; i'm still effectively recoving from VLM and have only just started running again after a mandatory 2 weeks lay-off.

So just getting as much exercise done as I can; will train up to 7 miles and then know the crowd will get me through the extra 6. All being well i'm after a new PB in Wolvo in September. I've got 1:34.00 to beat! image

• My big race for the year will be the full marathon at Rutland Water in November. Having decided to limit myself to one full mara this year I opted for the Shakespeare, but as I've mentioned on one or two threads, that was a bit of a damp squib where I struggled to get round the half! Hopefully I'll be fit again by then.

I'll probably end up jogging Cov, or may even have to pull out. I'll just have to see how it goes.

• can you pay and entry cov half on the day?? Has anyone done any fell runs.What are they like??
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Graham

You cannot enter on the day, because it is chip timed the chips have to be matched to your race number and these need to be sorted in advance by the organisers.  The last thing they need is trying to sort out 'entry on the day' runners as its such a big event.

Postal closing date is closed so you will of missed that, the only way you can now enter is online via their website but that will close on the 16th which is tomorrow, Entries have now reached 1846 so there are plenty of places as they have a limit of 5000 and there were only 2449 entered last year. You will have to enter by the end of Sunday else you are too late, so be there or be square (as they say).

After the 9 mile marker running from Gibbet Hill (A429) is the highlight of the course for me as its a straight route with a sweeping downhill and nice countryside views before going uphill then theres a sharp right turn (Photgrapher here, remember to smile) off the road and through the grounds of a RC School.  The next bit is the run through the Memorial Park up to the memorial (Photgrapher here, remember to smile) before turning right and back onto th road for the long downhill towards the finish. 

• hiya guys this is my first half marathon,can any body explain what the cut off points are all about? every 3 mile 43min? what happens if you dont make a point in time etc?. cheers guy we are doing this for charity so even if we have to walk/run  walk run its just about completing for us. any advice would be gratfully recieved . cheers.
  • the marshalls will stop you and they will pick you up in a sweep van
  • You can always refuse to be picked up (it's still a free world after all, last I heard, anyway), but of course the organiser's are no longer responsible for you, and you may not get water etc, nor an official finishing time.

But hey, that's not gonna happen anyway, is it?! Just enjoy the day and don't worry about it! Good luck to you all.

• the official bumf says they may ban you from future events if youn refuse-thanks for the good wishes Roadkill
  • So much for a free world!

But if you take off your number and walk, you become a pedestrian like any other, surely?

• ok i'm in.

shan't be bothering the cut offs but tis a bit of a bizarre rule, i guess it depends where the withdrawal technically occurs and quite where race's legal obligation to you ends.

• Cutting it fine, eh?!

There are some bits of the course which, once traffic is allowed back, are no longer passable on foot, so you'd actually end up doing over the distance. You're right, though, I'm sure legal obligation, and it's effect on insurance, is the key factor. I was suggesting that if you take off your number you can no longer be associated with the race and therefore have no claim, however hordes of 'pedestrians' trying to continue along the route unsupervised might have insurance implications for the organisers.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be troubling them on those grounds, either!image

• they claim its because the roads are then open so it may have something to do with insurance-would have thought it shouldn't affect too amny
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Well i've signed up at the last minute, thought i'd give it a go.
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

I think if you end up being caught up with the sweep van you would have to be a blind, 3 legged donkey with asthma, or a badly injured runner that can't walk.

What I'm trying to emphasise is that you don't need to worry about the sweep van unless you only plan to walk the whole course as it will be going along at slightly faster than walking pace.  They  have to provide one for legal purposes to ensure when they open the roads back to traffic nobody is stil on the course and possibly about to be run over by a bus.

• Any 15 minute milers out there?!

Let's hope we're not still discussing this after the race.

• To be fair the cut off times are generous, you could slow jog half and run half and I think you'd still beat the cut off!

Going under some intensive training this week till Thursday then winding down Friday and Saturday before the race itself.Carbo loading week! image

• You could jog a couple of miles and walk the rest, and still beat the bus.

I carbo load every week!

• Long drive for us for this one

all of 25 mins image

• whilst i may well be jogging to the start for my warm up image
  • it'll do you good old boy
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of jogging to the start from home for my warmup, only takes an hour to drive there so if I set off about Friday lunchtime .............

anyone received their race pack yet?

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

not liking the look of the forecast, it could be very hot this weekend.

Darkman, how did London go? I found it really tough 2nd half, worse than expected.