Coventry Half-Marathon

Comments

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Marty

London was ok until 18.5 miles when I stepped on an energy drink top and suffered a blood blister on the ball of my foot the size of 2 ten pence pieces which bl**dy hurt. Passed halfway in 1hr 32mins which meant I was on taget for my sub 3hr 15mins GFA time, the drinks stations were a minefield with water battles strewn all over the place, energy drinks tops all over the place making it like running through a minefield ...... I managed to step on a mine. image

Finished in 3hrs 36mins and really slowed down from 20miles and at 22 was in pain every other step, the last 4 miles was a mixture of determination and grit to keep going.  Was shocked when I saw later that evening in the hotel room after my shower exactly what the damage was.  Luckily there was no permanent damage and the dead skin has now fallen off and new skin in its place which has not had any detriment to my training or racing. 

Have entered the New Forest Marathon in September to attempt sub 3:15 again, this time I won't have to look for bottle tops at drink stations, only the odd stray pony on the course. Using street view and knowing the area the course looks superb and expect to really enjoy this one. 

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Darkman, shame about that. Still not a bad time. I found the 2nd half tough, I guess I just paced it slightly wrong, 1:34 ish for the first half and the 1:44 for the 2nd, do just over 3h 18mins. I was kind of happy but slightly dissapointed by fading at the end, although I feel I experienced how hard a full marathon actually is. I also discovered that you can get blisters on the soles of your feet, never had this before, just toes. But still an amazing experience, but i fancy dropping down in distance to HM's for the time being. I was looking at the Rutland marathon in November. The New Forest marathon sounds nice. I have family on the Isle of Wight and have thought about trying that one, but it looks tough. Also, the Leek HM sounds worth a try, I have walked around that part of the peak district and like the look of it.

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Marty

I've run the Leek HM a number of times ....... its tough, I mean very tough, it has hills on hills and someone who swore by the Buxton HM being the toughest changed their mind when they ran Leek.  You start on a downhill outside the leisure centre, sounds ok but thats the finish as well.  You run a steepish downhill for half a mile, remember you have to come back up that at the end as the finish is uphill. 

You then start a series of flat, uphill, flat, uphill, flat, uphill until you get to the top of the valley. you can see the halfway point over the other side of the valley called The Roaches where they rock climb.  Trouble is when you get to the valley bottom you have to run up a 1in 7 to get to The Roaches.  After you pass that and about a mile further you run down a 1 in 7, thats even worse on the legs than the uphill.  My best time for it was 1hr 34mins but they reckon you can take at least 4 mins off your time for a flatter course like Coventry.  Even though its tough if I was asked to run it tomorrow I would 'cos its a truly great HM to run and I can say I've run what I consider one of the toughest.

The New Forest Marathons profile looks like you are running up the Eiger but remember you have to stretch each one (there are 2 for the Marathon) over 13.1 miles. I ran the Lymington 10k on 9th and we drove along the first 5 miles from the start in New Milton after the race and the uphill is so gradual you don't notice it but it looks like a mountain up to and past The Rising Sun Inn.

• cheers for the replies guys, just another quick question as im a newbie at a half marathon, how does the starting pecking order take place in terms of position etc?. quite looking forward to it but also a little nervous lol.
  • trev

howde- you ok ?

you'll be just fine, and you certainly wont be the only newbie or first timer there

we were all newbies once and nervous, and now were all there for you

try and relax and prepare well

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Trev

Its a bit like learning to drive, the first time is always a nervous time but just go with the flow.  Aim to get there a hour before the start so aim to arrive at 08:30 that will ensure you can relax and get changed and put you bag in storage and soak up the atmos. Unless you can finish the race in under 90mins don't go near the front but you will see areas which indicate your expected finish time.  When it starts don't race off as though you are running 100m race just go at your own pace and ignore everyone else, you will benefit later on in the race and maybe pass a few that are flagging in front of you.  Enjoy the course and atmos and try not to think that its 13.1 miles you are running, I tend to think of it as just another training run but alot of people seem to be doing it at the same time as me.

• Hey Darkman, I'm reading 'The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner' by Russell Taylor (really funny, dry and well observed) and just read his account of the New Forest Half. The chapter ends "Six minutes off my Liverpool time and for the first time in an hour and a half I'm pleased I didn't stay in bed this morning."
  • Is this full? It says on their website no more entries, but it doesn't actually say it's full, & says on here it takes entries on the day. The limit is high, & only half that entered last year, so I'm wondering if they are still taking postal entries??
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Road-Kill

That sounds very much like me, all the people at work think I'm a looney when it comes to running. May have to get that book for a read.

Bright Bimbler the entries have closed, the online entries did do on Sunday and postal were before then even though its not full, the race is chip timed so they can't accept entries on the day. The only 'On the day entries' are for the Coventry Mile as sort of fun run for the little kids and any big kids who want to have a bit of fun while they wait for us adults to get back from the course.

• Thanks Darkman. I thought RW might have got it wrong saying there were entries on the day.....image
  • looniness is a good book image i remember reading it madly to try to get to the bit about race the train during the week before doing that race image

on a similar vein there's 'how triathlon ruined my life' ... which my wife bought for me image
    make of that what you will !

• Hi, i'm doing the half on sunday & am v excited,nervous-actually make that petrified - as it's my first time. Plus side to that is i got to get a pb! still hope i can beat the cut off times all the way round, also worried about parking am hoping to use belgrade plaza then blunder my way to start. Am coming from rugby so not far & did used to live in cov so hopefully find it ok, having to come alone cos all family going off to football tournament image so i'll be the lost soul latching on to everybody!
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

ed_m and Road-kill ......... you both sold me the book and now I've bought it from Amazon, I've also bought "First marathons: Personal Encounters with the 26.2 mile monster"

runnyyolk ........... as I quoted earlier "I think if you end up being caught up with the sweep van you would have to be a blind, 3 legged donkey with asthma, or a badly injured runner that can't walk." You will be surprised how quickly the time goes from arriving before you know it everyone is lining up at the start for the off. Just enjoy the atmos and enjoy the course take your time and treat it as one of your training runs instead of a race and you will be fine.

• Thanks DM, am really looking forward to just being part of it, i only started running last august so i'm well chuffed to have made it this far - if i get to the end that will just be brill!

Anyway, good luck to all taking part, hope the weather is nice & we all have fun image

• belgrade plaza is a good car park (maybe a bit pricey for us locals mind!).... the entrance is off an on-slip for the ring road, so you'll have to come off.... and then feel like you're going back on again.. be brave.
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

My race pack arrived in the post this morning ..... talk about cutting it fine, was really worried I'd be mugging someone before the start for their number and chip.

There's a really ugly mug on page 7 of the race guide (not the one on the right), but if you feel inclined to bring yours to the race ........... I will be having a race guide signing session starting an hour before the race next to the baggage tent.  They say everyone has 5mins of fame, this must be mine. image

• Darkman

is it you, the guy with the head band we used too meet

met u at Telford 10k years ago etc

• 'Darkman' on the front of the vest is what gave him away!

I've done next to no training for this, hoping my general fitness will see me through - that's provided I feel my hamstring is up to it. Short run tonight should make my mind up. (There doesn't seem to be a 'fingers-crossed' smiley, but if there was I'd use it here!)

• good luck guys for sunday nearly here,<a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=1&MemNo=44846" title="Visit micknphil-marathonlads.com member profile">micknphil-marathonlads.com</a> brilliant site that must take some serious stamina and hard work to get through a marathon and half marathon,absolutly brilliant. im still very nervous in terms of cut off times for example the race starts at 9.30 we will be in second bunch and probably wont start till 7min or so later as it will start very bunched up which then gives us 34min to reach 3 mile until cut off,im probably just a bit paranoid,anxious etc. seems a bit unfair as the roads will not open dead on 10.13 anyway. i probably worrying over nothing to be fair.lol. gl all
  • hi Trev took me two mins to get to strat in stafford half with similar numbers don't worry chap you'll be fine.Enjoy.

• Hi i am looking for somebody to run with/i average about 8.5 minutes a mile.
    Mark
  • Road-Kill wrote (see)
    I've done next to no training for this, hoping my general fitness will see me through - that's provided I feel my hamstring is up to it. Short run tonight should make my mind up. (There doesn't seem to be a 'fingers-crossed' smiley, but if there was I'd use it here!)

Well... anybody out there need a number?

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Mark

If you start in the correct part of the start area (look for approx 1hr 50mins finish time) then you should be running with people who are at the pace you want.  I would be too fast for you but whatever pace you run its usual to start talking to someone whose running the same pace as you at some point during the race. There will be alot thats running around your pace so don't worry you won't be 'billy no mates'.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Darkman, cheers for the info on the Leek HM. I have walked the Roaches so know what it is like around there, it looks beautiful, not sure i'd enjoy it so much running a HM mind!

Looking very hot still for Sunday, I have dropped a few mins off my prediction, I am not used to running in these temps yet, but Sunday will give me practice I hope, if I last. Still, it should be an interesting experience, my only other HM was the Nottingham one, well that a HM in Lanzarote with about 40 other people.

• I have a couple of numbers not being used this weekend, If anybody wants them? I am sure we can arrange local pick up as we are in Coventry.  
  • what time you after darkman ?
  • Off Home now, anyone intrested give me a ring on 02476 490546
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

ed

I usually finish a HM in approx just under 90mins, if I go for it well under but as the forecast is now predicting 28deg for Sunday I'm not sure as it can be a challenge if its in the 'scorching' category of heat but we will have to wait until the day.

Newbies take heed ....... remember to put sun block on else you could end up at worst with sun stroke, or at least sunburn if it ends up doing what they predict.  DON'T make the mistake that most people do and put sun lotion liberally on your forehead, try to use a high factor and put it on sparingly else if or when you sweat, as it runs from your forehead into your eyes it will bl**dy sting and you will have a horrible race experience.  Believe me its not nice, I've done it myself and no doubt others will have done the same thing.  If you can tolerate running with a cap/hat on with a peak then thats a better option and will save putting suncream anywhere near above your eyes.  Remember to hydrate when you get up and on the way to the race but don't overdo it, you don't want to stopping at every tree or bush around the course.

Sorry if that sounds nannyish but its surprising how many people forget to do these things when we get a hot spell, especially as it a rare event with our weather. Have a good race and just enjoy the atmos. 

• elgmelgm ✭✭✭
    Good advice Darkman.

Looks like the PB is out the window then - that was set at Cov Half last year

How much do you think the weather conditions will knock off the average pace / finish time ?
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

elgm

In my opinion with the current predictions of the temps the course record will be in no danger of being broken. Its difficult to say as it depends if there is a cool breeze or not, hot breeze or not, no air, dry air and any number of factors.  If the temps what they say it will be and its dry heat and no wind then you could probably add about 5mins to your finish time if you finish at about 1hr 40mins, considerably more as your finish times are longer as those runners will be running in conditions alot hotter than the fastest finishers.

Anyone thats got a few pounds extra to their waist will suffer considerably more with the heat, my advice is listen to what your body is telling you as you run along the course, if you feel odd. funny or strange then slow down your pace slightly and ensure you take water on board at the next water station.  The organisers will be clued up to what this heat can do and will more than likely put on extra water stations around the course so don't worry about getting enough fluids.

You will of had an email from them already (I have) with advice about what to do with the possible hot conditions that are expected, much of which I've advised already so be careful out there and have a safe race and above all enjoy the day.  One consolation at least it aint cold like its been over the last 4 or 5 months, was sick of being bl**dy cold on my training runs for VLM. image