Coventry Half-Marathon

Comments

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Just spare a thought for those running tomorrow in the White Peak Marathon near Ashourne, Derbyshire which will be horrendous in the heat, I would of been running it had I not of run the VLM and have run it for the last 2 years.  The first 10 miles of the marathon is uphill, I joke not. image

Lets just say "I don't envy them" and I wish them all a safe race.

• Can't believe all those people wanted to know about late entries, but no-one now wants a number for tomorrow?

I'll be in the start area before the race so we can arrange a handover. Preferably to an under-50 male (don't want to mess up the results, do we?!)

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Road Kill

I'm very surprised that no one is after your number, shame you can't run but just spare a thought for all of us sweating it out on the course.

• Darkman

good post on newbies and sweat and suncream

• Darkman wrote (see)

Road Kill

I'm very surprised that no one is after your number, shame you can't run but just spare a thought for all of us sweating it out on the course.

More than that, DM, I'll be there giving such support as I can (though I may slip off for a pint a some point - it seem unfeeling, but hey, I'm only human!)

Seriously, if anyone wants my number and chip just post here or message me up to 7-ish tomorrow morning, or give me a call or text on 07948332982 right up to the start.

Good luck to everyone running - I wish I was amongst you!

• hi all, i will be spectating with the kids as my wife is dong her 1st HM tomorrow... Wish i was running, knackered my achlles last year, slowly getting better!

Good luck to her and everyone else. Thanks for the pointers on the temp, set to be a hot one! Any more advise on weather, water and food tonight/tom greatly appreciated

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Paul

Your wife should be drinking plenty of water today and NO ALCOHOL (sorry) its better to hydrate the day before than whilst running the race as its too late by then.  That will ensure she doesn't have to drink loads during the race and shouldn't need to go to every drinks station on the courseas its already in her system.

Spectators should also take care with the sun, its not just use runners that will be wilting, especially the kids need a high factor putting on exposed arms, shoulders, ears and legs (don't forget the tops of their ears remember how painful it was when someone flicked your ears as a kid, if they are sunburnt it can be that pain all the while)

Road-Kill have a pint for me or better still buy a pint for me at 11:25 and I will in at 11:30 to collect it lol

• Just do what you've been doing in training - race day is no time to experiment - but do make sure you take on enough water, and not too much! Exactly how much you need no-one can tell you - with experience you just get to know. You can be sure in hot dry weather you'll need more than usual, especially as you'll probably be running for longer too. Generally, rather a little too much than a little too little - it's better to have to stop for an extra pee than to have to stop for medical attention. Also better too soon than too late (as 'they' always say - "drink before you're thirsty").

I personally don't sweat as much as some and on a cool day, provided I hydrate beforehand, I can get through a HM without a top-up, but in the expected heat of tomorrow I'd take a swig or two!

Good luck with that Achilles Paul - hope you're running again soon, and good luck to Mrs S tomorrow. If you're spectating out on the course take a bottle of water to hand her!

• she has stuck to her training plan and did 13miles a few weeks ago so distance isnt a problem - she has been suffering with some recurring sciatica so had all week off. Managed 30 mins on the treadmill friday with no problem so fingers crossed for her

Will def be taking water and suncream! And good luck everyone image

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    well I best go to bed soon! good luck all and hope the heat isn't so bad.
  • there.. that wasnt so bad now was it...... *ahem* image
  • Well done all. Was marshalling just by the bluebell wood at warwick uni - tough out there today.

Ed, I thought you'd be a bit nearer the front image
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    blimey, that was tough. I must admit I was questing my sanity (and that of other runners) before i'd even done 2 miles today. However, i'm home and relaxed now, although it is still too hot for me at the moment. The heat certainly slowed me done but the course is a bit hillier than i'd expected (maybe again the sun influencing my judgement). I thought it was was organised and the course was pleasant, I would do it again (hopefully when it is cooler). Hope you all did OK. 
  • gee thanks rhb image
    actually i was 5mins faster than i was supposed to be so there.
  • my word guys what a fab day not sure what i was worried about, hit 2.09.15 which for a first hm im so chufted after worrying so much about cut off times. well done all. must say the support was great and all the home owners around the course with water sprinklers etc fairplay they deserve a massive thankyou as i needed that everytime. woo hoo i think i have the buzz for many more now. so chufted.. see you next yr guys . p.s the guy with the wheelchair phil what can i say what a top man!!!!
  • just back from lunch at the "saxon mill" - fantastic looking over the water with a beer!!

Anyway, the missus really enjoyed it. Kept her pace well and did it in 2.16chip, 2:18 gun) She did a full training plan and said she could of gone faster, but, was cautious being her 1st and the temp. Said she seemed to pass alot on the last few miles. It must of hurt if you hadnt done a full training plan today....

• well questioned answered that was hilly and some of them pretty tough-manged to get a pb but missed my target by 1min 10secs-big thanks to the local support-youngsters with the hoses and plenty of water available. Really enjoyed the BBC area. The goody bag was good and thanks to the young lady who took pity on an old man and took my chip off. One tiny gripe was when we arrived car parking was a nightmare.
  • Results are up. Couple of questions:

do pople us there chip or gun time as a reference for PB's?

Also how do the the groups "FSEN" and "MSEN" differ from the age groups?

• elgmelgm ✭✭✭

Well done everyone who took part.

Darkman - looks like your 5 mins extra prediction was about right.  I was a tiny bit over that -- seven mins slower than last year.  Couldn't have done it any quicker though.  And you're dead right about those cold VLM training runs ... they seem such a long time ago now !

Marty - I was doing much the same after a couple of miles !

Congrats John, Mrs Paul and Ed.

Some pics are up.  Including Mick 'n' Phil.   http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/coventry/hi/things_to_do/newsid_8686000/8686542.stm

• That was hard, I think mostly down to the weather. I think I'll stick to Halfs in the latter part of the year. But I did shave 7 mins off my time image Thanks to all the encouraging marshals, and friendly folks lining the roads with water, mist etc.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

elgm, it was hard not to in that heat, but things actually got better after 6 to 7 miles before getting worse again, but it's all part of the roller coaster ride of running really. I lost a bet with my missus and have to cook her a nice meal now, she said i'd be in the top 60 and unfortunately I was! if i'd been 6 places lower she would have had to pay up her side of the bet, oh well.

• where are the results guys?
  • results here trev
    you'll have to select some options from the drop down boxes.

paul... gun time is used for results so thats what i go with for PBs..... but others would say different image

• chip time for most as only those at the front have a match-imagine how long it would take to cross the line in the London Marathon
  • Just echoing what everyone else has said - seemed tough at the time and I'm sure I was wearing  more water than drinking it ! Managed to get a 6 min PB, so the training seemed to have paid off. 

I'm from Coventry and always stick up for my City - but I must say, today it looked lovely, especially the bluebell wood & Kenilworth Road.

Roll on next year !!!

• ck44 I thought it did too the parks were lovely-my tiny gripe was trying to park and getting someone to understand English
  • JH5 - yeah know where you are coming from ! ! !

I think unfortunately they only mentioned 3 car parks in the race info, and obviously for those out of town this is where everyone headed.  Next time you can park at "my house"  ! ! ! ! (lol)

• we were heading for Belgrade plaza and was sent to a car park that was supposed to be open, it just got dafter after that. I'll hold you to that.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I parked at the Belgade one, it was spot on and had nice toilets to freshen up afterwards. I must say that Coventry looked nice today, the campus and parks were nice. I also enjoyed starting and finishing in the centre of the town. I have just found a truely shocking pic of me on the BBC site, I looked in utter pain, surely it wasn't that bad!