Too slow going down hills

Comments

• Little Ninja wrote (see)

Norty Barley.

Speaking of descents, here's the map for Regensburg 2010.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/385072/Gallery/regensbury.jpg

That looks like a fast profiled course - maybe I should rethink my retirement image
  • Come and play Doozer image  But from what I've read, is it the Pirate way to go in and out of retirement a few times before actually retiring?

I could start a thread on too slow going up hills. I should go and do some reading to see what's on the web but any tips/suggestions for sites would be appreciated.
  • LN....you need to start a thread on that for sure!!!  I am sooooo slooow going up!
  • I'm slow up hills too - pretty good on the flat and downhills though!
  • Saffers - you have a weird definition of slow... image

• The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    Exiled Claret 49.8mph (Garmin said 49.8, bike computer said 50!)
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph
    K9 35mph
    Saffers 34.5mph
    Melds  36mph (Bala 2010) 
    Purpletrilady 34.5mph (bala 2010)
    PinguPongu 32pmh, (Bala 2010)
    Soup Dragon 29mph

Looks like we've got a challenge on here Little Ninja! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • hiya .. well i will add my name to the list after saturdays bike ride .. thinking it will be very slow though! almost paralysed going down hills at the moment.. fingers crossed if i just keep doing it i will ease up and get more confident! Lots of good tips here.. will put them into practice and maybe do some cycling on nicer non country roads to build up confidence first
  • Welcome to the club bootsie!  Hope you are okay now after your accident, it does give your confidence a bashing.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.  I'm going to get better, I'm determined.  Flyaway - I may well take you up on that offer.  I will pm you shortly.   image

• The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph
    Saffers 36.6mph (Bala 2010)
    K9 35mph
    Melds  36mph (Bala 2010) 
    Soup Dragon 29mph

Just updating ...... I'm getting faster. image

Welcome Bootsie.

• thanks.. can't put anything in the WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE club just yet.. just checked my max speed and it was 19mph!!!!
  • Onward and upwards (or rather downwards) Bootsie.  Its an opportunity to improve. We'll get there. image

• hit 25.5 MPH last night!! delighted .. fear free.. and handling the bike much better! confidence crisis is on the way out!
  • Right, I fear I am getting left behind, I'm going to aim to get a faster time on here this weekend!
  • Oh blimey, thats just me then still lingering around the bottom of the wheeeee parade.  I'm meeting Flyaway tomorrow for some downhill mentoring so I will see what that brings.  <clucks like a chicken>

Flyaway - I hope you know what you've let yourself in for,  I'm really rubbish!   But I'm getting my garmin charged in hope and readiness. image  Watch this space...............................

• Flyaway is a star! image  A million thanks indeed and it was fun too.  Down a long steady hill (screaming) then down and up a steep short "dip" a few times (still screaming on the down).  Then when I'd stopped screaming we did the long steady down again (only a little scream) and I hit 31mph. image  My top speed before was for about 2 seconds only but today I kept a "good" speed up all the way down the long hill.   I had Flyaway behind me though yelling to keep off the brakes and keep on pedaling.  imageimage

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph
    Saffers 36.6mph (Bala 2010)
    K9 35mph
    Melds  36mph (Bala 2010) 
    Soup Dragon 31mph

• woohoo!! well done you soup! well i did my club run tonight and got a massive Pb!!! so gotta up my game on the bike on sunday now!
  • Nice one bootsie.

You know, thinking about it ..... although I let out a girly scream going down which I couldn't help, it was actually less scarey than going down on the brakes at 10mph.  Think waff said something similar on the last page about brakes being scarey and I now know why.  Just got to keep this up now and will be heading out to those hills again.  We have a shortage in London and I got going up training in as well which I also need.  image

• Fantastic going Soup.....you have come such a long way in a short time.....keep at it! image

Just updating list as managed a little faster today with a pal shouting at me to keep pedalling!

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph
    Saffers 37.3mph
    K9 35mph
    Melds  36mph (Bala 2010) 
    Soup Dragon 31mph

• Well done Soup!! Where did you go?  You'll find the Vit downhills much easier because they are straight down.  More good work Saffers image
  • We went somewhere near Camberley I think LN.  Not sure really, just followed directions off the M3!  Want to join me sometime?   

Saffers, you are getting really good.  Go girl! image

• Thanks Soup....it's coming along nicely.  I even managed to drink and not slow down too much......although swerving all over the road is something to be working on.image  Hoping Dustboy will be sorting out a Surrey ride again for us.image
  • ttotally agree wtih that soup.. much scarier the day I hung on the breaks than the few times i've let the bike run!
  • Sounds good Soup but I may be too slow for you at the moment.

Flyaway - have you mapped the route? If so, can you please post a link on here? Thank you image
  • Good work Flyaway and Soup Dragon. Excellent pirating. image

• Little Ninja - it's not a route. I just picked a longish, not very steep hill in the vincinity of my house and arranged to meet her there.
  • Well done Soupy!  You're doing fantastically, it was only a couple of months ago we were doing the Bala pre cycle and you've come on so far.

I'm going to try and get down some hills tomorrow if I'm not hungover from tonight image

• woohooo... max speed of 32.2 mph tonight!! 15.6 miles done in 1 hr 14.. did the hever castle triathlon route.. very hilly!
  • The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph
    Saffers 37.3mph
    K9 35mph
    Melds  36mph (Bala 2010) 
    PinguPongu 34.4pmh,  and that was bloody fast enough!
    Soup Dragon 31mph

• The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph

Pkim 37.5mph
    Saffers 37.3mph
    K9 35mph
    Melds  36mph (Bala 2010) 
    PinguPongu 34.4pmh,  and that was bloody fast enough!
    Soup Dragon 31mph