Options

Too slow going down hills

Comments

• Options
    Just updating as I managed to squeeze an extra 4mph out down Abbotsbury hill this morning! Moved up a place as well - sorry Tommygun!

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Exiled Claret 54mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph

Pkim 37.5mph
    Saffers 37.3mph
    K9 35mph
    Melds 36mph (Bala 2010)
    Purpletrilady 34.5mph (bala 2010)
    PinguPongu 34.4pmh, and that was bloody fast enough!
    Soup Dragon 31mph
  • Options

I don't know how fast I went cos my garmin is broke, but I went round Richmond Park and didn't touch my brakes once on the way down Sawyers Hill (clockwise) and only lightly touched them going down the big scarey (to me) thing on the anticlockwise approach to Robin Hood then let go altogether half way down and went "wheeeeeee".  Thats a big step for me and at 25 mins for an clockwise lap, my fastest so far. 

<blows kisses to flyaway for getting me this far>    imageimage

54 mph sounds so scarey............image

• Options
    It was a bit!

Mind you it felt a lot worse 1/2 a mile further on when my wheels stated to slide out from under me on a 90 deg corner, when I was only doing about 12 mph.
  • Options

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB 68mph
    Rosey 66mph
    Barley 58mph
    Exiled Claret 54mph
    Tommygun2 51mph
    LN 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter 39.8mph
    Maddy 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs 38mph

Pkim 37.5mph
    Saffers 37.3mph
    K9 35mph
    Melds 36mph (Bala 2010)
    Purpletrilady 34.5mph (bala 2010)
    PinguPongu 34.4pmh, and that was bloody fast enough!
    Bootsie 32.2MPH

Soup Dragon 31mph

• Options

Was so chuffed with my efforts when I first entered this thread image

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club
    FB - 68mph
    Rosey - 66mph
    Barley - 58mph
    Exiled Claret - 54mph
    Tommygun2 - 51mph
    LN - 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter - 39.8mph
    Maddy - 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs - 38mph
    Pkim - 37.5mph
    Saffers - 37.3mph
    K9 - 35mph
    Melds - 36mph (Bala 2010)
    Purpletrilady - 34.5mph (bala 2010)
    PinguPongu - 34.4pmh, and that was bloody fast enough!
    Bootsie - 32.2MPH
    Soup Dragon - 31mph
    Schmunkee - 23.7mph (on The New Improved Barley)

*sits in the corner with the Dunce cap on* image

• Options
    lol!! no dunce cap required.. mine was a once off!
  • Options
    Just read through this thread. It reminds me of when I was on a college trip to France many years ago when our tutors arranged a day at an adventure centre mountain biking.

We all had a little practice on the bikes before setting off as the brakes were the opposite way to what we were used to.

All was fine and dandy until a mate fell off of his bike going down a narrow and steep footpath. Everyone behind slammed on the brakes but for half of us (including me) the natural reaction was the wrong one - we all flipped over the handlebars! Luckily nobody was hurt and we carried on, albeit a little more timidly than before.

And thanks to this thread I've just ordered a new wireless speedo which will hopefully arrive when the missus is out so she won't know I've been spending again!
  • Options

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB - 68mph
    Rosey - 66mph
    Barley - 58mph
    Exiled Claret - 54mph
    Tommygun2 - 51mph
    LN - 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter - 39.8mph
    Maddy - 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs - 38mph
    Pkim - 37.5mph
    Saffers - 37.3mph
    K9 - 35mph
    PinguPongu - 36mph
    Bootsie - 32.2MPH
    Soup Dragon - 31mph

I've sussed this down hill malarky a bit.  I've been finding mountains and trying to go fast down them but it's way to scary and you have to sit on the brakes.  I just found a nice steep hill where you could fly down for miles.  My speedo actually flashed up 41mph, but I'm not convinced that was correct so I'll keep the 36mph that it settled on for now! 

• Options

The Wheeeeeeeeee Club

FB - 68mph
    Rosey - 66mph
    Barley - 58mph
    Exiled Claret - 54mph
    Tommygun2 - 51mph
    LN - 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter - 39.8mph
    Maddy - 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs - 38mph
    Pkim - 37.5mph
    Soup Dragon - 37.5mph (the Vit)
    Saffers - 37.3mph
    K9 - 35mph
    PinguPongu - 36mph
    Bootsie - 32.2MPH

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭

FB - 68mph
    Rosey - 66mph
    Barley - 58mph
    Exiled Claret - 54mph
    Tommygun2 - 51mph
    K9 - 40 mph 
    LN - 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter - 39.8mph
    Maddy - 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs - 38mph
    Pkim - 37.5mph
    Saffers - 37.3mph
    PinguPongu - 36mph
    Bootsie - 32.2MPH

didn't realise this thread still existed...

need to update mine to 40mph from a few weeks ago - my regular biggest downhill with a good tail wind

did 39.6 mph yesterday also according to bike puter on another hillimage

• Options

Still bottom of the class, but I did get a PB on Sunday

FB - 68mph
    Rosey - 66mph
    Barley - 58mph
    Exiled Claret - 54mph
    Tommygun2 - 51mph
    K9 - 40 mph 
    LN - 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter - 39.8mph
    Maddy - 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs - 38mph
    Pkim - 37.5mph
    Saffers - 37.3mph
    PinguPongu - 36mph
    Bootsie - 32.2MPH
    Schmunkee - 26.4mph (on The New Improved Barley)

• Options
    Glad to see my once-scaredy-cat pupil is kicking some ass now!
  • Options

image  I had a good teacher!!!

Thanks flyaway.

• Options

Are these strictly UK based or are overseas entries included - I can't think of too many passes in the UK where you get a good enough run to clock much over 45mph.

I've never found speed an issue, my greater fear is with super steep sections - dropping off the top of Hardknott pass (33%) and bloody bendy, in the pouring rain for the '09 Fred Whitton was one of the most pant wetting moments I've had on a bike, esp with mountain rescue removing bits of bike from some poor sod by the side of the road.

• Options
    "Are these strictly UK based or are overseas entries included"

some are overseas - mine is from Ironman Switzerland in 2005
  • Options

Cheers FB and Chapeau, even on an Alpine pass that's clocking some serious pace, you must have some serious gearing going on.

Switzerland - great news, sounds like a promising bike route for my first Ironman in that case, just entered IMCH 2011.

• Options
    the bike route at IMCH still has the hill where I clocked that speed - it's a cracking straight drop with a supersmooth surface - BUT they have banned an aero profile position on it now as there were too many crashes from poor bike handling. when I did it, it was 3 laps not the 2 of the current route so I had 2 practice runs before unleashing the mad one on lap 3

it did make my arse pucker a bit though!! especially as you hit a housing estate at the end of the straight with a sharp left hander so you need to scrub speed quickly

I span out on a 53*11 and just let gravity and aero do the rest - at 16 stone I get a good gravity pull...... image

IMCH is a cracking event - was my 1st in 2005 and went back last year when we had 50 pirates racing the IM but I did the Oly on Saturday instead and supported the IM the following day.
  • Options

Cheers FB - I'm excited enough as it is with it being my first tri, you've reassured me that it was a good choice.

I used to have quite the gravity pull at 15 stone, but at 5'7" it made the uphills a bit of a struggle.....now I'm 150lbs I don't get quite the benefit and always miss the bigger ring as I ride a compact.

I'll worry about the corner when I get there, not even sure I'll be bothering with aero bars, I've not really thought that far ahead, at the moment I'm not sure it's much of a benefit as I'm pretty small anyway, but I'll have a play and see.

Cheers

• Options
    Mine is UK based - down Abbotsbury Hill in Dorset. I did it on a normal training riide, though it is part of the bike route for the Bustinskin Middle Distance Tri. I cycled down it earlier on the morning of the race this year and they had "slow down" signs up to warn riders. I ignored them!
  • Options

FB - 68mph
    Rosey - 66mph
    Barley - 58mph
    Exiled Claret - 54mph
    Tommygun2 - 51mph
    K9 - 40 mph 
    LN - 39.8 mph
    Magna Carter - 39.8mph
    Maddy - 39.4MPH + -
    Trogs - 38mph
    Cornish Digger 37.8mph                                                                                                                                      Pkim - 37.5mph
    Saffers - 37.3mph
    PinguPongu - 36mph
    Bootsie - 32.2MPH
    Schmunkee - 26.4mph (on The New Improved Barley)

First ride today with new bike computer.Wish I could go fast uphill as well

• Options
    CD with the hills round our way you can go faster than thatimageimage
  • Options

RB, I probably could, but I was coming down from St Cleer, Sun in my eyes and very nearly rode head on into a lorry going up on the bend. 

I heard you have been unwell, hope you are feeling better.

• Options

CD yep not been great over the last few weeks had to bin the Severn Sportive this weekendimage am on the road to recovery will be out for an EASY trip on the mountain bike and a trip to Bodmin  pool with the kids planned this afterimage

St Cleer hill is fast, my favorite is the twisty hill down into Seaton/Downderry never clocked my speed to terrified to look downimage 

• Options
    Came on here to record a fast time from Sunday, but it seems it's not a PB image
  • Options

Ooooooohhhh never seen this thread before,

I AM CARP AT DOWNHILLING!!

• Options

I need a too slow going around corners thread. I've found a few tips on websites re trying to see the line. I brake too much though.

• Options

Just a word of warning to newbies chasing speed.  Be careful & be safe there is a fine line between control and getting into difficulty (ive had a few scary experiences), just pick up your confidence slowly and dont take chances on roads youre not familiar with etc.

Last time at IMCH on the decent before the mega decent (where FB & I set our PB's in 2005).  There was a rather nasty accident, so bad that having seen the cyclist sized dent in the side of a car and the broken bike I didnt dare look at the state of the person being helping into an ambulance.  Some idiot had driven/reversed? out in front of them (this is also a handy reminder not to take closed roads for granted)

• Options

I totally agree with Barley. I'm much more realxed about my downhill speed now and just always stick at what I feel comfortable with. My downhill speed had got better but I'm still really cr@p, but it doesn't worry me anymore.

• Options

I like downhill. Pity I'm carp at everything else.

I think the best downhills are really the long undulating ones though, rather than the super-steep type where you just have to control your speed to keep safe. Some of the high Alpine mountain descents are pretty fabulous, because they often have good visibility and manageable gradients, but just go on forever.

Can't remember what my top speed is, but Mr P just refuses to look and meets me at the bottom after coming down at a more sedate speed. He's better uphill than I am, though.