Just wanted to say hi....

Dear all, (at least those who know me)

I just thought it might be an idea to say hi to you all from sunny (dusty and getting hotter) Kuwait. As one or two of you will know, I was out of work for a while and finally got a job....the problem is that I have had to move to Kuwait! The bigger problem is that my wife, Jo is staying in the UK....bit of a strain etc. but we are hoping we can manage. I will be here (unless I get a UK based job) for 2-3 years...

Anyway, I have started again to do a bit of training....partly 'cos there is feck all else to do....no booze, no nightlife, no family, no nothing....so I've started with a little run on Friday mornings (weekend is Friday and Saturday) that is around 7 miles....I have to start at 6am as it gets too hot later and as the year goes on, even 6am won't help so it'll be down to the old tready for me....so I've also joined a gym image Not my favourite place but it does have a pool!! I've even started a bit of swimbling but that is back to it's previous early stage...

Believe it or not a tri club has just started here and I thought about joining for some company whilst training. However, it seems that they wany 80KD a month (around 175 pounds). This appears to include coaching, which I don't want so not going to do that after all....

I'll try and get back on the forum more regularly and it would be nice to hear how you are getting on while I am all lonely over here (sob!)...

All the best,

RB

Comments

• Hey Ratty,

Congrats on the job mate, if not quite the location, tough call to make. Think after the crap winter we've had a few UK peeps would happily swap snow for sunshine for a couple of years image

I knew Snorks and Dubai Dave were down your new part of the world, but seems there's also this handy thread tracking non-UK Pirates that might flush out a couple more.

Good luck with the training, maybe IM Kuwait should be on the agenda for Bala this year ?

Cheers,

Kanga

• £175 a month for a gym!!!!!! extortinate!!!
  • Guess in the good old days on expat packages the company would have paid the bill. Would have thought that might have changed with the downturn, but seems the gym ponces are still flush with funds....
  • as-salam alaykum Ratty (I think!)

Good to hear you've found something, pity it's not too local, tried with the same thing myself but the company made the decision for me in the end! sounds like a good way to not have to train to me, £175 a month for a tri club eh? might set one up here and see what I can get...

At least this year you're not missing out on a Cotswolds ride so no need for any jealousy there!
  • Never met you Ratbag, but just wanted to say best of luck with it all.
  • good afternoon Ratbag - nice to see you settling in...

no booze though? feck that....

• Cheers all (although cheers is hardly appropriate)... 

The booze thing is strange really. In the UK I probably had a drink most days (that doesn't sound too good...) but now I'm here and I know it isn't available, it doesn't seem to matter most of the time. I have to say that it is VERY boring so far though. Highlight of my week was buying 2 saucepans....it was so exciting that I went back a few days later and bought a colander and chopping board!!! I'm not sure I can handle the adrenaline rushes!! The only things to think about are food, exercise and work......unless I want to slob in front of the TV watching FOX series...

I thought the 80KD for a tri club was a bit steep so they can stuff it. However, it seems that they might be arranging a local tri some time soon....not a lot of good to me at the moment as a0 I'm not fit enough and b)My bikes are back in the UK...

Still, on the positive side, I have contacted a hashing club...and I'm hoping to meet up with them maybe even this weekend.....

• Hi RB, hope things go well with the new job. happy training image
  • Hi Ratbag

Good to hear from you, shame about the situ but I'm sure you'll work it out somehow.  Alas work is work these days.

Take care

J&T

• Hallo ratty, long time  no hear but now we know where you are. Glad you got a job, good luck with it, hope it's not too boring out there. Don't think I could cope with it.
  • Well....looks like I'm hashng on Thursday....whatever that means.........the hashing motto appears to be 'drinkers with a running problem'...not sure how they manage that out here but we'll see....actually it sounds like Pirates but in a different way........

Ahem! Not as nice of course....

• Hashing without booze... Should be interesting

On -On

Enjoy

• Ratty I would think the money you save on drinking could pay for the Tri Club !!

£175 a month ... feck  image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Rat-tieeeeeeeeeee!

That's a long long way away.
  • HIya RB.. wandered what had happened to you.  Treadie still going strong.  We've been very grateful for it over this winter!  image
  • Hi Ratty - sounds dire!

Can't get my head around hashing without alcohol - the whole point of hashing is to clear the hangover through exercise followed by hair of the dog image

• hi ratbag

good to hear from you, keep your chin up and hope you get work back here sooner rather than late x

• Thats where you've gotten to ! Well done on getting the job ! And at least you have sun. Could have been worse - it could have been in Blackpool !

Good luck with the training, and colanders !

• cougie wrote (see)

it could have been in Blackpool !

Or Murmansk or Aberdeen....

Just smile and think of the money image. Brave decision to go out there. Good for you.

• Ratbag wrote (see)

I'm not sure I can handle the adrenaline rushes!! The only things to think about are food, exercise and work......unless I want to slob in front of the TV watching FOX series...

I grew up in Kuwait and the TV was very limited/edited - Fox sounds like progress!!  I didn't know until I came back to the UK that Tom and Jerry wasn't routinely interspersed with readings from The Koran, and that all children didn't watch cartoons with arabic subtitles.  We seemed to get a lot of nature programmes - with any 'rude' bits cut out.

We left when the 1st Gulf War broke out - I was 15.  I often wonder what it's like now.  I still get a calendar from my old school (English School Fahaheel) posted to me here but it all sounds very different!

I seem to remember my parents seemed to have a lot of trips to Bahrain which I think allows alcohol...

• I think the Bahrain thing is the way to do it in terms of getting alcohol....flights there can be very cheap....

B Team....things have moved on a little here and there appears to be a little more Western influence especially in terms of fast foor...Maccy D, Burger King, KFC and Pizza Hut are all here....I'm soooo trying to avoid all of them....and TV does get a few (very few) channels showing American series and also movies (ahem, films)

Yeah, I gather the whole idea of hashing is to do with boozing afterwards....I have heard mention of  mysterious 'hashing water' but I have no idea what this might be (OK I have a small idea)....I'll wait to see this confirmed tonight....

Stay tuned for the next (yawn) riveting instalment!!image

• Pebble 2Pebble 2 ✭✭✭
    Hello RB, I'm riveted to my seat and eagerly await the next thrilling installment. Nah nice to hear from and hope you settle in ok.
  • Cheers Pebble....

Well, I met up with the Hashers on Thursday night....there was a mix of nationalities, about half were Aussies, a couple of brits, a couple of Yanks, an Austrian and a Finn....there were probably a couple more but you get the idea....the run itself was relatively short (around 5k) but they were a bit concerned about the weather....we have had a few storms here recently so they erred on the side of caution...after the run we went back to someones apartment block and sat around the pool area...there were a few little rituals that they have to get through but the good thing is that they tended to involve the drinking of 'hash water'....which appears to be a mix of home made red wine and 7 Up....

Even better than that, some kind soul had smuggled some gin into the country and gave me an ice-cold G&T!!! Could not believe it!!! I know it is a bit sad getting excited over such a thing but you have to be here....anyway, it seems a lot of them are into home brew of different kinds so I may pick up a few tips....then the food arrived, I ate some and then buggered off back home as I had a bit of a journey...

Interesting night and I met a few more hardened runners for a 10k jog the following day...getting very hot by the time we finished....so there's another hash tonight and I'll probably pop along and see what's what...

Cheers for now...

RB

• Ratty that sounds like you have found something to keep you occupied anyway!

• I have thanks Melds....now here's a spooky thing....on Saturday morning after our little joggle, we met a couple of others for breakfast and the girl there could have been your sister....I nearly said  'I know someone who looks like you' but I reckon that would have sounded a bit wierd....so there ya go....BTW she was from Canada.....(not that that is relevant!)
  • Lol yes!!  

'I know someone who looks like you and I met her on the internet' would probably have you extradited !!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Hi Rattie - good to hear from you - hash water sounds interesting! How often do you get home/does Jo get out to see you?

imagine another Melds - eeeek!
  • its not that surprising that meldy has a sister, as i understand it, her mum was always busy at the stud farm.

good to here from you mr ratbag, i cant believe you have had to move to johhny foreigner land for 2 or 3 years, i hope its well paid!

• and you can feck right off cripple.