Cycling to work

2»

Comments

• I'm impressed with the distance you're commuting, and as someone already said, if you can manage it and do a full day's work then you're not nuts!
    I cycle to work sometimes on a mountain bike with thick knobbly tyres, but it's only 11 mile round trip, though it does involve a nasty hill on the way home!
  • I've been cycling to work for just over two years, on a crappy hard-tail MTB, but fitted with slicks (it has to live outdoors so no good having anything valuable!).
    And last August the car actually got scrapped, so I'm a cyclist only (but with use of Mr Frodo's car, which is a bit of a cheat, I know).

I too rely on the deodorant and face wipes method as it's only 5 miles of flat cycling. (Though I often potter off for a longer ride on the way home when the weather is good image )

This time of year is the best, with bright spring sunshine in the morning that really lifts the soul, though a little irritating dressing appropriately for 1-2 degrees in the morning and then 16+ degrees on the way home image

December-February is the worst; dark, freezing and wet and the drivers are even worse as they seem to be even dopier in winter. Ice is a nightmare too - came off the bike last year and gave myself whiplash which is still being treated by the physio/chiropractor.

Just contemplating swapping to running in and back, but that will mean showering and making sure I have enough stuff at work for this, so alternating running and cycling and getting kit and work clothes to the right place...logistical nightmare image
  • * Frodo * wrote (see)
     This time of year is the best, with bright spring sunshine in the morning that really lifts the soul, though a little irritating dressing appropriately for 1-2 degrees in the morning and then 16+ degrees on the way home image

So much to remember. I go swimming at lunchtime and I have a massive lock in my rucksack too. It weighs a ton. It's time I spend alone though so it's very valuable.

• Was quite nice, albeit a bit tough, this morning, saw 3 deer bounding across the road infront of my, and 2 barn owls!!.

At least the scenery and wildlife are nice, not sure I'd like cycling through the urban bustle, I think I'd find that much tougher.

• Sadly, I have to cycle through the urban zone. Not bad as the roads are quiet. But have to
    ride with the sleepy drivers and those buses. God I hate buses. Weasel w***ing drivers. image
  • I forgot, as well as myself, there are other staff who ride in on occasions;

1. Two Consultants. One (a good ex-runner) has a commute of about 7miles (with -circa- 250 feet of climbing), the other lives about 20 miles away (with -circa- 500 feet of climbing), but they're both fair-weather riders  & might only ride it twice a week

2. A Registrar. She rides from the top end of Leeds, perhaps twice a week (again, weather dependant)

We did have 2 other (cycling) Registrars who moved on to Consultant posts at other Hospitals, one of them used to ride in from Ilkley! (35 miles?), & then get the train to Leeds, & ride home from there

Plus there are various other staff who ride/run in

runnerman wrote (see)

The only problem with cycling is sweat.

We have a shower in the male-changing rooms, so are catered for, plus there's loads of (freshly laundered) NHS towels in the department

Unfortunately for them, the girls don't have a shower in their facilities, so use ours if need be - obviously, with a 'guard' on the door - be it a man they trust, or one of the other girls.

Offers (even joking ones) to help with back-scrubs tend to be turned down flatimage

Also, on the 'plus side'

The 2 Consultants who ride in have special interests in 'Sports Medicine', so I can talk to them if I get any little niggles that I feel may be contributable to riding/running (one of them was a Marathon runner too, before injury stopped him)

• According to Garmin Connect (which should be fairly good, as they now offer elevation correction) my journey in has a total elevation gain of 100m (328ft), and the return journey 93m (305ft), which explains why the trip home is easier than the trip in.
  • I also have a nice rural cycling route to work. This morning I saw rabbits, pheasants, and lambs. I saw a little owl one morning at dawn.
  • Danowat, you're nuts anyway! Actually, it's amazing you can do 17 miles in an hour. Here in London I struggle to get into work seven and a bit miles away in about the same time, if I cycle (which I don't much). Admittedly, I'm one of the few who stops at red lights, doesn't go on the pavement and goes the right way down one-way streets, so I could do it quicker if I joined the ranks of the self-righteous ****ers who do that.
  • Peter, don't fall to the evil cyclists. They are the cyclists of satan.
  • I couldn't do it everyday currently, my quads are burning like buggering today, the 32 mile ride on Sunday, and then the 34 mile ride to work yesterday has taken its toll!!!!
  • I ride 6.5 miles each way to work and I am impressed  with your time. I used to ride a 25 in 1.25 hours but cycling to work seems to take me forever.averaging just over 13 miles an hour. I find the sweatiest part is the small of my back carrying the backpack.
  • I try to cycle in and run home.  Following day I'll run in and cycle home.  Only problem comes on a Friday when I cycle in and then have to cycle home so I have the bike at home for the weekend.

Direct route is just under 4 miles though I often do around 7-8 miles.  If I'm running I head onto the coast path and along the beach which makes the run around 8 miles.

Out of 12 staff, 3 cycle. 

As for wildlife, I did stand on a rabbit on the coast path one morning.  Didn't see it in the semi-darkness.  Realised I'd stood on something and looked behind me. A dazed rabbit was there staring at me before dashing off into the hedge.  Scared the living daylights out of me and makes sure I keep an extra eye out now.