Two2go Lea Valley Trail Marathon

Comments

• ORB - Have a good time. You can have a coffee or tea when your arrive.
  • Very well organised at the start and I can imagine it's lovely watching cricket there. Unfortunately it all went downhill after about 10k but the marahalls kept smiling!
  • Yeah was a bit shambolic along the way. I was part of a huge group that took a wrong turning around 15k and cut 4k out of the race (so if you wondered why some nutter was doing circuits of the fields after finishing the marathon, now you know). My friend took a wrong turning and went an extra mile. I heard first hand of at least two other places where people went wrong with the route (and I think I only talked to about six or seven people, so it doesn't bode well that I know of four different places people went wrong...). And the last 2km was frankly bizarre with really confusing routes and then the U turn.

Ah well, I guess sometimes things go wrong.

Thanks for all the chat guys and gals, it made the whole experience more fun. Hope you all got what you were looking for, and that you managed to avoid getting too lost.
  • 28 miles in total for me after the sign pointed the wrong way at Fisher Green. Didn't really know what was going on so did the loop twice. Managed to trip over on towpath after 20 miles and that knackered me, never got going again properly after that. Marathon distance covered in 3h46, then walked afterwards to cross line in 4h10 I think. Happy I guess considering terrible training, and my knee was fine so bodes well for Rutland in Nov.
  • Oh, and two learnings: 1) figs rolls require chewing, which is not easy when running and trying to breathe 2) where it is uneven underfoot focus on staying upright and not the lycra clad bottom in front (- was using it to blot out the pain at that point, not perving!)
  • Yes I went the wrong way along with about 50 others - I was going ok then but it knocked me psychologically and when I started to struggle later on I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to push myself. I don't expect trumpets and a fanfare at the end but the finish was like an afterthought. May do it again as it is close to home but it was disappointing. image(
  • P.S. BSW77 personally I see nothing wrong with following a nice bottom. Tee hee.
  • I'm sure ladies do it as well ORB!

Agree about the finish. I think it didn't get the expected support judging by the marshalls being Hackney kids shipped up. Saying that I thoguht all the marshalls were very nice, one chap was very chatty and enthuiastic.

The question of would I do it again? Well like ORB it is local so probably yes. I heard people at the finish complaining about the long straights with no view, but I enjoyed the narrow boats with cats, the fishermen, and the friendly rowers.
  • Thanks to the Marshalls who were there doing a great job

But shocking on course organisation. far far too few marshalls and very poor signage

Pity as could be a great race with nice scenary and wind permitting great times possible

• I ran over 27 and a half miles. (My first ultra?) Set a new PB according to Garmin so have mixed feelings about the whole event. The marshalls were friendly and I met some really nice people - all who had similar stories to mine.
    I'd really like to say I'd do it again but I'm not sure given the complete mess at several points.
  •  I DID IT !

*CONGRATULATIONS* To all those who got round, in whatever time, style or even distance.  Well Done!

It did Blow, but not so bad . It did Rain but not that much. Infact it went much better than I had hopped ( this isn't unusual for me) even a rather remarkable touch of sun burn by the end!  I, unusually  didn't get lost and ran 26.29 according too my Garmin. Perhaps the the somewhat  "excentric" course could be viewed as a test, of errr... somthing. Especially the obstalce course section on the waterworks loop, just what my tired legs an mind needed 24.7 miles round.

Oh and the medal is rather mingey, that won't be at the front of the collection for long. Ok the organisers are clearly not  German but these things do take a lot of work to stage and to all those who made today happen I say "thanx".

Same again nexr year?

• Was standing with my friend Kaz at the finish and we hard one of the marshalls saying that 30 runners went the wrong way. If you went the right way the course was the correct distance.

•    I was in a group of about 30 people that went the wrong way because a arrow was pointing the wrong way, it was at 13k  where there was supposed to be a water station, what happened is that after we turned round and came back we bumped into the marshall who got there late and he told us the right way to go . I'm not saying the course was the wrong distance , but the extra couple of Ks that i ran were'nt my fault and do feel i have a right to be a little bit frustrated, after all my chances of a PB went out the window at that point and the latter part of the marathon became very hard,

• A lot more than thirty went the wrong way, although I could believe only thirty took the massive shortcut that was so frustrating.

I know it's tough to organise these events, and I'm more frustrated/angry/annoyed at life than at the organisers. It was such a shame, because where they'd put down the arrows on the ground it was pretty easy to follow. While one or two people might miss arrows on the ground, there's no way thirty in a row are going to (especially since we were stretched out with 10-20s between runners I'd say, and I spent most of my time looking for arrows).

Oh, and I *almost* converted the course to GPS waypoints and uploaded them to my Garmin, but then decided I couldn't be bothered. More fool me.

Back to shorter distances for me, but I might be tempted to run this again next year, but only after practising the middle of the course in training! That's another thing I was going to do, but didn't.

Wait a second - what am I saying? I have no intention of running another marathon in a very long time.
  • bob -Yes you are right to be peed off. I had a really bad experience at the Four 2 Go marathon had breathing problems said to marshalls at the water station at half way that I wanted to pull out. They said was there anyone that could come and pick me up. I ended up waiting for them to pack up and then got dumped about 3 miles from the finish with a mobile number for the race director. I rang him and they said they would send an ambulance car out to me. I waited for 30 mins, rang them again and they said they would send someone. I ended up ringing my husband and he had to come and get me and he had a chest infection. So I know how you feel.
  • Zirion - I thing I still have the Garmin route on training centre. If I do it next year I will use my Garmin GPS.
  • Evening all

First of all a big thanks to Supergirl Pam - she helped me through it. I have had training problems due to various reasons but we got each other to the end. Lovely lady.

We were last to finish but I don't think we should have been. There were two ladies behind us (quite a long way behind us) but when we got to one of the water stations, we were told they had gone through a long time before us............. Looks like they missed a loop.

Also, as we came on the the marshes, the colour of the arrows changed colour which we found very confusing. We had been following bright orange arrows and suddenly there were yellow ones. Luckily someone came along and pointed us in the right direction.

But I had a great day. And once again, massive thanks to Pam image

• Well done Pam & Roobs imageimageimage
  • I'm kind of treating this one as a work in progress, by the time we get to one2go or possibly gone  the race might work properly.

There are good elements and it's mainly one wrongly pointing arrow that caused much of the chaos. I don't have a problem with the marshalling, it always varies from race to race,  it's hard to get volunteers (how many of us really do it regularly?) and I hope it's a good experience for them too.

I still find some of the canal hard work but the finish is nice and sociable. I'd have liked to get the time I was aiming for but I'm more upset I appear to have missed out on a free compensatory beer image

• Roobarb,

Thanks very much but you helped me as much as I helped you! Hope we meet again somewhere.

Have a good time in Scotland and enjoy Loch Ness Marathon.

Every year there have been problems with this race which is a pity because it could be a great event.

Hopefully they will get it right next year (I think we have said that before)

It was great to see Mike Gratton (former London Marathon winner) waiting to see Roobarb and I finish. Thanks Mike.

• Perhaps Mike should take over the running of this event (via his 209 Events) as the organisation was shocking.

I was in a small group of people that went the wrong way because another group of people that had gone the wrong way where standing in front of the sign point us the right way. Not the organisers fault. Other than that I had no problems following the route but agree the change of colour of the ground arrows was confusing. They should have put some signs up, like they do at Steyning, that say Not This Way so you know when you have gone wrong.

I liked the route bar the stupid loop around the reed bed thing and the pointless run down the tow path and turn around thing. They could have removed both of these be getting us to run around the outside of the football pitches.

Quick list of complaints from my point of view:-

• Lack of extra toilets at the start.
    • No seating and changing rooms at the start.
    • No baggage Marshall's at the start.
    • Stupid run over the bridge. Next time start the other side of the bridge or get a train time table.
    • No mile markers.
    • Did see a clock at the finish.
    • No water (or recovery drink) in the goodie bag.
    • No water at the finish. I had to ask and was told they had run out of bottles and was given a cup. Then charged £2 by the ice cream man for a bottle.
    • Little seating at the finish.
    • Christmas cracker medal
    • Didn't see a photographer anywhere.

How about next year moving the start up the river a bit? I have run the Hertford to Pickets lock section a couple of times and I am sure there is a big sports field or park a couple of miles north of the start. Would cut out some of the loops.

• Hi to all,

Hope you all had a good run. My comments are:-

Very friendly race (Marshalls and most of all fellow runners).

The start: Location not suitable too small, complete lack of organisation with the tent in the way and having to leave the premises to drop of my bag in the coach which was not supervised to ensure "secure bagage" status claimed! Why the route included going over the station bridge was very surprising as quoted by JJ especially as the half hourly train service in each direction arrive roughly at the same time 1017 and 1020, we must have had a good 8 minutes before the gates would have been lowered and if there was a late train we could have been switched to the bridge. 

Being held for nearly a minute to cross a small road bridge after about 20 minutes was also dissapointing. The route for the first 12k was very picture perfect (nice and green and peaceful along the towpath).

Why, why, why the complicated zig zagging around Cheshunt / Waltham X??? I too got lost because of the sign after a longish bridge was firmly fixed point right and the route was to go right. This knocked me off my stride for some time (also missing water station at around 13k (why did we not get atleast a tip off that there may have been a missing water station then we could have worked around it.

What was the balancing act about in the old industrail part of the course along with the silly turnback at the end????? A large lap of the football field would have been better.

The finish line area I thought was okay (yes low key for a Marathon) but nice that there was food, drink and entertainment for all at the finish. The medal was very mickey mouse - two 2 go you should be ashemed of the cheapness, I am sure some first time Marathon runners would have been very dissapointed.

Organises should consider stretching the course out to start say at Hertford East? This race has got a reputation for getting people lost (I took the wrong route twice!). In my 70+ previous races I have never taken the wrong route or got lost so something is wrong here. I am writing this to hope that the organises learn from the feedback. The course is a nice scenic route. Pitty about the strong head wind which I will not blame the organises forimage.

p.s. The number of runners that went the wrong way would be 50+, possibly alot more given this direction arrow. I understand from a runner who was some way behind me that this was still pointing the wrong way later (even after the marshall turned up).

• Oops. I meant the sign pointed right, but the route was to the left (at around 13k ish).

signed

Victor Meldrew

• Anybody know where the results are posted?
  • Having done every year (bar yesterday) - the first year finished with a totally soul destroying loop round the football pitches in gale force winds which everyone hated.  Since then they've been twiddling with loops, cut-backs etc.  Tbh I'm not sure which I'd rather. 
  • JJ is right, start at Hartham Common in Hertford and there is a council gym with changing rooms and toilets etc. This would lengthn it and miss out the bridge over train track we had to go over. It is a nice section as well.

Could even start further back and cut out the silly looping totally.

OTR - that was the sign that got me. I looped around a second time and so although the water station wasn't out the first time I stopped the second time I passed it to get some water.

Talking of water, bottles with caps don't work. Sucky tops far better.

• I have a suggestion for the organisers which utilises the parkrun course which I will email to them. This would avoid the reeds 'it's a knockout' course and you wouldn't have to do the extra bit along the canal. Right I'm off to the Brentwood marathon thread. If I recover from my injuries I might see you there (Helly D maybe?)
  •    The Next day.  I really don't want the organisers to lose heart the two2go was nearly BRILLIANT and just needs a few tweeks, i would like to thank everybody involved for there hard work and i hope they read these posts, and see them as construtive criticism. I was a little bit anoyed after the run yesterday because i had trained hard to get a PB , which i feel i only missed out because i was sent the wrong way, and perhaps i should have waited untill the dust had settled before i started to criticise. 
  • bob - I was the same 2 years ago when I DNF.

• I agree with Bob. I hope the organisers don't lose heart because this has the potential to be a great event. It's a scenic route (considering it's a race ending in London), I think the loops in the middle are actually pretty nice (from what I saw of them!), you end up next to the Olympic station and it's a flat course so has great potential for a PB.

To defend against some of the criticisms: the tent in the way was bad luck - and probably little they could do about it (and did it *really* things that much?). The railway crossing was a risk assessment/health and safety thing: you can blame them for choosing the route, but in this day and age you can't run a race across a "live" line even if it's half an hour before and after a train. The lack of toilets: actually there *was* a second set, but they weren't well sign posted unfortunately.

Oh, and about the "it's a knockout course", while I was in bad shape at that point and not really appreciating it, it was actually quite cool to run through something so strange. Anyone know what it is/was?

In spite of my protestations about not wanting to run a marathon for a very long time, I can't help but feel I'll be back next year... but I'll learn the route first image