Marathon Race-Week Q+A: Liz Yelling

Comments

• Hi Liz

Any insider tips on the London course to help us gain a few precious seconds ?

Thanks

• Amanda: I would take your drinks on first and then take on the water. You have been practicing in your training which is great news- so you do have some idea of what you need.
    The experts say you need to take on about 30-60g of carbs per hour, so you can take a gel: 30g or the LS which is 20g per 330ml bottle. I would advise drinking 3-4 sips of fluid every 20-30mins. How much you need depends on how much you sweat.

Sarah: Ideally you should have been practicing drinking whilst you have been training. Taking on just water is not a good idea, and I would advise you either take on some LS drink or carry some gels also. Water is also out on the course, which is fine, just don't take ONLY water as you will not absorb it as well. I would advise you drink 3-4 sips every 30mins.

• AmandaTW wrote (see)

Hi Liz,

I always struggle knowing how much fluid to take on board, last did London in 2006 and ended up throwing up 7 times (which is not fun along a crowd lined Embankment), have not been able to stomach Luz Sport ever since this time, so planning on taking my own sports drink but still worried the same will happen again.

Have been carrying my own drink on all my training runs, but I'm always all out by 18/19 which leaves me with none for later on.  Should I attempt the Luz Sport or bearing in mind previous experience do you think I should just manage on water.  Or should I delay drinking my sports drink until the later stages of the race.

Could ask someone to take some up for me - but with the crowds no guarentee that will get it.

Many thanks Amanda 

Amanda,

As Kitty The Cat suggested, there is a large RW support point at 17 miles, we are already catering for special needs for approx 300 runners, you are welcome to leave anything you like with us (basically you leave things at the RW stand at the VLM expo and we'll pass it on to you.

If you are interested have a look at the Support group thread and post on there (link below), thats assuming that youre not already in a support group)

Support Group 2 (mile 17)
  • Thanks Liz. I have been using gels approx every 40minutes during my long runs so just wanted to ensure I was drinking enough water to go with them

• Another silly question....................  i get really nervous which I accept as a good thing but before it starts constantly feel like I need the toilet with no really true need.....................  when the run starts its still in my head that  I need to go but I am loathe to queue at the portaloos...... in previous marathons i have also been able to head off behind a tree and after this I am fine.  I would love to follow a pace group and be able to get my head to accept that I do not need to visit the toilet...............
  • Hi Liz,

Couple of questions if thats OK,

Firstly on pacing, my half PB is 1:49, and my LSR's have been just under 9m30s for up to 19.5 miles. Should I try and continue these into the VLM and aim for a 4:10 finish or do you think I could push them a bit ? (am scared of blowing up if pushing too much!).

Secondly (and this may affect first question) .. have you heard of the Coastal Relay being run this summer (and do you fancy signing up for a leg image ) ? We're hoping to give Barry the Baton his first run out in London, so although possibly not your area of expertise, would you have any tips for running with a baton, ie easiest way of holding etc.

Thanks

Bruce

• Hi Liz.

I've been really looking forward to my first marathon (at 58 yrs old I came into it late!) and training has been generally going very well except for a heavy fall a fortnight ago where I cracked a rib and ended up in the river Medway - well almost, I was saved a few inches above the water by the brambles!!

But now that the last week is here I'm terrified!  Although my ribs are very sore I can still run ok, so I'm not worried about that - all I want to do is get round. But I read so many mixed messages about what we should run in the last week, from "no more than 20 mins a day", to a 5 mile mid week; and no run after Thursday, to a gentle run on Saturday.

Help!!

And thanks for 'being there'!

Ray (aka grandadnohair)

• Bouncing B: I would love too, but I am on a tight schedule and have post race speeches to perform! No Rest eh! Have fun though!

Kitty: All coaches are different, although I always think that by this time you can only do too much the week before and I would advise no longer than 70 mins at a very easy pace the weekend before a marathon. If you do too much in your taper you will really know about it in the final part of the race.

Martin (Tinka): Your taper sounds very sensible, and looks like you have been training very well. So trust the training you have done, and relax and enjoy the ease down. It is normal to feel like you are getting unfit, but far from it. It takes 2 weeks of no activity for you to loose your fitness, in a taper you are maintaining your fitness, whilst giving your body the chance to recover from all the hard training you have done! Watch a movie and read some books, thats what I do!

Swiss Phil: None, sorry. It is 26.2 miles and maybe more if you don't run on the blue line. The same for us all!
    ]
  • Liz - Many thanks for your answer, it is much appreciated and will be taken on board.

Good luck to everyone who is running in London (which seems to be the majority of the posters!)

J image

• Hi Liz, training hasn't quite gone to plan for me, as is the case for many others and plagued by injuries. I've ran a marathon before and I'm circa 1 hr 30 mins for a half at my best about a year ago but I've only really done three runs of distance (13.5, 20 and 16) in the last 6 months and I'm concerned if I go for sub 4 hours (which is more for my ego if I'm honest), my legs will not have enough running in them. I feel pressurised to run a decent time as people expect it, or I think people expect it, but I just have real anxiety about running out of puff at 20 miles. My current thought is go through half in 2.05 and see how the legs feel and then I can take it from there.

I know I've kind of answered my own question, but would welcome you thoughts on how 1) you deal with the pressure of trying to run as quickly as possible for the distance and 2) how you plan a race when you are not fully prepared.

Many thanks for your time and any input and advice you can give, we all appreciate it very much.

Regards

Graham

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Howdy Liz,

If i can just enter the mix with a quick one,  did you run the Wokingham half this year at coasting easy pace, as I noticed I was only just over 2mins behind you at 1hr 19 and obviously you've done way quicker previously.

Or were you on the comeback from injury or suchlike?

Ta

Stevie G

• Hi Liz,

Can you swap time chips with me for the VLM so I can win a bet with a friend please? any time sub 3:30 will be fine so take it easy image

Many congrats on all your achievements.

Cheers,

Guy

• Thankyou Liz,

And thankyou also for giving up your time to offer us advice.

• Hi Liz,

Sorry, just another one ... on fluid intake ...

All my training has been done using Lucozade sport during my LSR's, do you think that staying on that throughout the whole marathon would be OK, or should I try and mix it up with some elements of just water occasionaly for dilution purposes (if that makes sense)?

• Ray: Tapering in the last week: OK the only thing I would maintain is the frequency in which you run, esp the older you are as resting tends to make you seize up..well thats what I find at 35! You should be doing about 40% of your biggest week and do a light session on the Tuesday before , say 10mins easy, 10mins at MP, 10mins easy, then after this your runs should get less the closer you get to the race. The day before I just do a 10mins very easy jog for example. I would do no more than 10-30mins in the final 4 days. Good luck!

Bruce: With a 1.49 half you should be able to run about a 4 hour 2min marathon if you get your nutrition and hydration right, so I think you should revise your mile splits a little.

I will have a look at the event. Hold the batton at the top and then it will run under your arm and not cause too much bother.

BHOGG: Do a light jog before the start and see if that gets anything going, then pop into the loo, and or take an imodium instant 50mins before the start of the race. Drinking coffee early in the morning when you wake may also help evacuate the bowls.

• hiya liz,

I am doing my first marathon at london and i've done all the training for a sub 4hr time, i did he silverstone half in 1hr 37mins what do you think i should aim for, my longest training run was 22miles in 3hrs 13mins

regards

andy

• Thanks Liz, that's really helpful.

You're right about the seizing up; it takes a good mile to loosen up after 2 days rest!

I wish I was 35 again! image

• Hi Liz

If you & Martin have nothing better to do tonight, theres a 5k Time Trail in Poole Park tonight. See you there? image

Start Time 7:30pm

http://www.poolerunners.com/CLUB/Entry-Details.aspx

• Big thanks to Liz for her interest in us mortals of the last few weeks......

What three goals should we have for the 25th us newbie marathoners? Apart from a time goal what else would help?

Thanks

• Bruce: There are LS on the course and these may not be spread frequently enough for you on the course, unless you carry the drink and sip between the stations, If you are used to it, then great, it is the perfect balance if hydration and fuel. If it is a hotter day then you may need to consider taking on additional water.

Guy: I would if I was doing it!

Stevie- I was flat out at Wokingham, and out of shape, it was the first race since having my daughter Ruby, so I am still on the come back journey.

Frosty9: I like pressure, although I don't worry about other people I just focus on what I want to achieve. If a race prep has not gone to plan I run how I feel and don't look at my watch. Take the pressure off of yourself and run with out a watch and enjoy the race, your time at the end will be a nice surprise either way. Just make sure it feels comfortable to 18-20 miles and then run for home if you are feeling ok.
  • Afternoon Liz, thans for all the advise on Matchstick Mans thread - it's been really helpful.

I am planning a half marathon (and a crack at a PB - sub 1.25) 1 month after London to capitalise on the endurance I have built up. What kind of sessions / max LSR would be needed to tide things over bearing in mind the recovery after London?
  • No worries, I kind of guessed it would be a busy day for you, enjoy image

• Hi Liz

Do you think Paula is only more famous than you (in non running circles) because of the incident when she was caught short? Would you considered doing the same to raise your profile?

• Andy: I would say you could do 3.45-3.50 or faster. Thats a safe bet though.

Paxonboy: Thanks, injury still giving me jip and have family to stay- so playing host!

Mark: Nutrition and hydration goals, emotional goals, how do you want to feel at each point on the course? Experience goals...I am sure you have more! Fund raising goals.
  • James

I reckon your comment is well out of order.

• KR: Ok, make sure you eat and hydrate well as soon as you can post race. Rest for 3-5 days- although you could swim in this time, then do a week of very easy running at the end of which I would do no more than a 90-100min easy run. Then do some paced stuff at HMP the week after, say 5 x 6mins at HMP with 2mins jog rec, and maybe a tempo run of 4 miles at HMP+10secs.

Then you are into your taper week..

James: Oh I thought it was because she was the world record holder for the marathon! Trust me I won't be doing the same.

• Thanks everyone. I wish you all the very best in your marathons and come and say hello at the expo in London if you see me.

Best wishes,

Liz
  • Cheers Liz
    Have a great weekend, and hope the injury clears up soon and see you back whizzing round the marathon
  • Hi Liz

Thanks for taking time out of your extremely busy schedule to pop into the forums - lots of helpful advice as always!

Good luck everyone with your final marathon preparations - there'll be stacks more race-week info on the site next week and don't forget to visit the RW stand (232) at Expo and look out for the RW pacing groups  at the start,

Catherine

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

grandadnohair, well said.

liz well answered!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can