Options

Sunday 1st June 2003

13»

Comments

• Options
    `but to try some breaststroke'?

Sounds like a nursery rhyme or a quote from Pepys' diary!
  • Options
    BR - "full miles"?

If you mean my originally intended 4 x 1, then, possibly - but mentally for whatever reason this evening, difficult.
    Also toyed with the idea of 2, 2/3rd recovery, 1, 1/3rd recovery, 1 - maybe should have opted for this rather than 4 efforts, as I did feel better after getting the first, longish, effort out of the way.

Was going to do 4 miles tempo pace tomorrow night & rest Tuesday - but will see how my legs feel in the first mile tomorrow night - if like tonight, will cut down either length or intensity. But I would hope that won't happen!
    What do you think?
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Cool, calm and collected at the end of a roasting hot 1/2 marathon? Wasn't even breathing hard despite the storming sprint finish.

Life is just one long learning experience.

My crash training experiment proved two things:

1: Doesn't work for me, although it may work for 5k or even 10k.
    2: My ageing body can actually cope with a 70+ mileage week, so that's good.

Probably my worst performance since Windsor last year:

Splits were very similar to BR's for the first 2 miles. 6:02, 5:49 (BR's 2 mile split was about 5:40 as he was approx 3 secs ahead of me at this point and had also made up quite a few secs) 6:06 3rd mile was also ok and mile 4 at 6:17 was acceptable. Actually felt quite good at this point.

Don't know what happened next but started to slow down. Stayed with the leading ladies for the next 4 miles, averaging about 6:35 splits. Managed to speed up after the turn with a 6:10 9th mile. Then - nothing! Leading lady caught and dropped me. At this point I just wanted to finish and wasn't concerned about the time. Final 1.1 miles was at 7:02 pace, although it would have been much slower if I hadn't sprinted the final 100m to beat 1:24 on the clock. A very, very, very disappointing 1:23:52.

Comment from the young lady taking my championchip off sums it all up. "You don't look as though you've been racing" Had to laugh!

Overall a very interesting and enlightening experience.

Thank god I didn't attempt the full marathon, although I had to laugh at one of the runners who passed me on the way back to my car at the 14 mile point. Just behind Don Valley Stadium is one of the steepest hills on the course. On rounding the corner and seeing the hill ahead of him he stopped, bent down, put his head in his hands and just laughed.

Great result from BR though, specially his storming final miles.

Haven't read through all the posts but a great result from Wardi, considering the dreadful conditions.
  • Options
    hats off to everyone who raced in the heat today and congrats to Longlegs on your PB. Sounds tough Drew and BR, know the feeling! Personally avoid hot weather racing like the plague these days.

Stickless, hope your spirits lift and your legs get their spring back quickly, see you in Abingdon hopefully.

Back from weekend in North Wales, amazing weaher for Wales, managed 2 mountain walk/runs, up Snowdon Sat at 7 am though it was still hot, Crib Goch today, scrambled up, ran what I could down. Fantastic to be in the mountains in conditions like that, first time I've been on Snowdon without being surrounded by cloud.

Quads protesting a bit this evening, but this time I'm ignoring it, they'll just have to get used to it.