Unable to get to VLM due to Flight Disruptions

I know there's quite a few people in the same situation as me.... stuck abroad with the likely prospect of not making it back in time for VLM and possibly not able to post their deferral form off in time.

I just thought I'd let you know that I managed to get through to the organisers on the phone. The nice man I spoke to told me to send an email to the following person saying that you need to defer your place:

josiem@london-marathon.co.uk

Send it before Saturday with details of your name, address, running number (if you have it) and date of birth (if you don't have your number) and they will be able to defer your place for you.

I think, to be on the safe side, I'll also send off my form once I get home (with a copy of the email), although the chap I spoke to didn't say that was necessary.

Hope that helps a few people who are currently stranded and good luck with eventually getting home.

Comments

• Julie I really hope you don't have to defer, and that you're able to get home in time.   Thanks for posting this, there are a lot of people in the same boat who will really appreciate knowing there are options

Fingers crossed that there's some better news soon and that you can all make it to the start line

• Bump!

Not in this position, but I think it's good to keep this up top for those that are.

• Glad to hear you got it sorted Julie and they were understanding at the VLM
  • Glad people are able to defer. There'll be a lot of unhappy people if they can't get over. Was meant to fly to Canada last week. I'm just glad I'm stuck at home rather than stuck there and unable to run.
  • I'm really pleased that they're being understanding and allowing people to defer for this reason. I was worried it wouldn't be the case.
  • So I'm assuming LM have changed their deferral policy to ill/injured and I won't get there.

I hope those who are stuck will get there anyway. Don't worry chaps. The navy are on their way.
  • Basil Brush Mk II wrote (see)
    I'm really pleased that they're being understanding and allowing people to defer for this reason. I was worried it wouldn't be the case.
    Don't get too cocky BB. Means less places for next year.
  • check to see if there is a local marathon to where you live as they may accept you instead for next Sunday

I did Brighton marathon yesterday and they had about 50 taking part who were due to go to either Vienna or Boston marathons and couldn't get out of the country to race them
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Yes, shame to waste the training...I did the Bungay Marathon yesterday and they also had a big unflux of people unable to do Vienna/Boston. The load that turned up from Clapham Chasers ran away (literally) with many of the prizes too (doubt they would have won in a big city event....!)
  • runnerman wrote (see)
    Basil Brush Mk II wrote (see)
    I'm really pleased that they're being understanding and allowing people to defer for this reason. I was worried it wouldn't be the case.
    Don't get too cocky BB. Means less places for next year.
    I wasn't being cocky, RM, I was thinking of all the poor sods who've trained so hard over the past few months, only to have all their training go to waste cos of Mother Nature.
  • Freemers wrote (see)
    Yes, shame to waste the training...I did the Bungay Marathon yesterday and they also had a big unflux of people unable to do Vienna/Boston. The load that turned up from Clapham Chasers ran away (literally) with many of the prizes too (doubt they would have won in a big city event....!)
    But not yours, eh? image
  • Sorry about the cocky bit BB. I do feel for those unable to get there too. But it depends how
    many can't get there who decide to defer. But it could reduce the numbers for next years ballot.
  • I suppose you're right, RM - but I feel it's important that those who may miss out (and who knows, maybe they'll get back still) through no fault of their own in an unforeseeable fashion have a chance to have another go.

Mind you, where do you draw the line....could open the floodgates for any number of "interesting" deferral reasons!

• Now I thought the LM position in deferrals is if you ill or injured, then you can defer to next year.
    The LM have always said if you unable to get to the start, unless its the ill/injured then
    that's down to you. But I would assume if the LM decides to change this, then they would
    put this on their website or email everyone.

Again, I feel sorry for those trying to get there. But I always thought the LM position is if
    you turn up unless ill/injured, don't expect a place next year.

• musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    But you don't have to prove that you are ill or injured - you just defer. The difference here is that if you are abroad you may not have access to your entry slip to send off in time for Saturday.
  • Well the way I see it, everyone who gets in via the ballot has the option to defer for one year. All they do is tick a box, you don't even need to put a reason. So in that respect.. if someone has the option to defer and can't mak the race, why not defer? I don't think it opens any floodgates so to speak, if people can run they generally do. If they can't, they defer. I don't think it's cheating the system to defer if you can't physically get to London for the race.

The places for the 2011 ballot are already going to be reduced by the new system allowing unlucky folk with 2+ rejections to enter over the next two weeks. That will see a certain % of the places gone before the ballot even opens to the public.

PS: I have no problem with either of the two subjects btw, just to make sure no one misunderstands me! image

• Don't the organisers allow "interesting" deferral reasons though? It's not as though they ask for a medical certificate or even a reason when you tick the box. I can't help thinking that it's in the organisers' interests that if people decide they can't run the marathon for whatever reason that they defer rather than conk out half way around. 

I was wandering before the ash cloud whether there would be a rise in deferrals because the atypically rubbish winter put people off training...

Anyway, Brighton marathon yesterday let people unable to get to Boston and Vienna run at the last minute which I thought was really good of them. 

• You're quite right, Wobbled - I'd forgotten you didn't have to give a reason when deferring.
  • Sky News is reporting that UK airspace will be open from tomorrow, including London airports. Good luck trying to get seats guys! 
  • Thanks Juliefrazz

I was on the Shanghai to London plane last Thursday morning.  Good news - got an upgrade.  Bad news - plane delayed indefinitely!

Bit of do getting everybody off the plane and cancelling all immigration exit stamps.   Was optimistic overnight but waiting up and listening to Five Live things do not look so good.   Was worried about not being able to send registration letter back in time.

Even worse I do not have any shoes with me to carry on running!

Small silver lining - got to see Button & Hamilton at the Grand Prix on Sunday  

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

I'm pleasantly suprised that VLM are letting people defer by e-mail, I really expected them to be difficult about it!

As JF says, things are now looking less good as far as resuming flights are concerned as we look to be due for another helping of ash.

Edited - sorry, it was MH wot said that, not JF!