Justgiving article in the Guardian

There was a small article in the Guardian today about the marathon and the terror of getting an email from someone running it asking you to visit their justgiving page. The article itself raises some interesting points but the comments are painting rather a biased picture about the motives of people running for charities. Here's a sample:
"Why would i give anyone money to run up and down for a bit?
Just f*** off."
"After watching the dispatches programme on the London martahon I will be boycotting it from now on."
There does seem to be a little wave of bad vibes out there regarding this year's event. Any thoughts?

Comments

• To me it seems like a rather pointless article. Her comments about it becoming a contest of "Who will donate the most" is hardly new. Even before the internet, when people passed a piece of paper around an office you could quite easily examine the list and see who had sponsored and what they'd pledged. Everyone did it so they could work out what the average donation was to make sure they didn't appear stingy by donating too little compared to others. It's got nothing to do with justgiving?

I'd have much preferred an article that examined how people are making use of social media to raise more money. Perhaps looking at folk who have gone to the trouble of filming youtube videos covering their training and bringing attention to their cause.

• Hiya Norwich, that's true I'd like to know about YouTube success too. I tried some very softly softly measures to try and poersuadet friends to sponsor me. Had some cards made up, did a bit of Facebook posting, got popular friends to send out tweet, circulated compilation mixes. None of it worked as well as sending emails.
    The other thing the article touches on and something which exposes my shallow self esteem is - how do you deal with a very close friend who ignores/refuses to sponsor you?
  • you never speak to them again, obviously!
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Going back to the point that the article made about Justgiving revealing how much money people have sponsored, there is an option people can select to hide their donation. Don't see that option on a sponsorship form.

Yes Justgiving & similar sites can make it less personal but then it also opens up possibilities for people who don't live near you to sponsor you.

Swings & roundabouts really!

• Johnny try this: my own mother initially refused to sponsor me until I threw the most dreadful wobbly! 

She subsequently changed her mind.

My self esteem wasn't damaged - It had nothing to do with that and and everything to do with her stinginess. Maybe it's the same with your friend?

• I just send a round robin email naming and shaming them.

EG 'Jackie Dogsbody has just refused to sponsor my charity 'The Romanian Donkey Botherers' Wart Removal Appeal Fund'  I think we should exclude her from the office night out and set fire to her chickens'

Yours

A Looney

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't understand - why would you have an issue with a friend or relative who doesn't want to sponsor you? That's their choice, surely?

It's their money, it's not like it's going to you, personally, and you'll go hungry if they don't give.

I've never actually asked people "please sponsor me" - or not since I was at school, anyway, but why is it such a big deal?

• I agree Wilkie, I think people should view the websites/emails as giving friends/family the opportunity to donate if they so do wish, but certainly not expect anything from anyone.

Rather than an issue with the actual donating websites I think a lot of people (myself included) have issues with people doing charity stunts where they are doing really cool stuff like climbing kilimanjaro/trekking peru etc where they aim to raise a few grand most of which ends up paying for the flights etc.

I haven't donated to a couple of friends doing this previously because I view it as paying for someone's holiday with the leftover donations going to charity.

I have always wanted to run a marathon and when the opportunity to run for the hospital I work in came along I jumped at the chance, but I'm stumping up the money I know the charity will pay for the entry fee myself as I'd like all the donations to go to the hospital and not cover any costs.

• I hear ya Wilkie and that's how I've approached things. Rather than say sponsor me, I've said "if you'd like to support me and Whizz-Kidz..." and I have raised lots of money but it's really hard to prevent those irrational egotistical thoughts that if someone doesn't sponsor you it means they harbour you some unwill. Either that or they're tight buggers.
    I got a ballot place so didn't have to do any fundraising. I just thought it would be a shame not to do so. I am sure for those who have to raise high minimum amounts all these issues are much more stressful.
  • In my last office I had a few people asking for sponsorship for doing certain things and I turned them down as it didn't seem to me that they were setting themselves much of a challenge. To my mind if you're going to ask for sponsorship money then it should be for something where you have to put some effort in.  When I was at school sponsored walks were seldom less than 15 miles and normally 20. By comparison Race For Life is a 3.1 mile gentre stroll for 90% of the field, yet you'd think some of them were running an ultra.
  • I think it is sad that it is the charities that are made to look bad.

I think it is dreadful that we can't get places without selling our souls to the charities but that is LMs fault not the charities, LM should allow for more runners instead. A few thousand more runners would be possible, have run others worse organised marathons with more people taking part and they worked, and then rather encourage the runners to find their own charities. LM should also be shamed to take such extortionate amount of money from charities, should be the same as for normal runners or max the double we pay. This would hopefully lead to the Golden Bonds not being so painful to your average runner, which would lead to a less thumbscrew approach on friends and colleagues.

The charities are doing a good job with the money they get (ok there are some exceptions).

Second I don't care if people sponsor me or not, obviously I am happy when they do but it is their choice in the end. But I think it is fantastic when a student or single mum donates £2 it is so much more to me then a bankers £10.

But I must add, I am of for 8 weeks in India in July, the sponsorship I will ask for that trip will NOT go to any of the following;

Flights

Visa

Vaccinations

Travel gear

I will work 24/7 on a community project building stuff, the money I raise will go to building materials, building permits, local staff, and the project itself. So nobody will pay for me to have a holiday. The majority of people going of on these trips does NOT get sponsors to pay for their costs but for the project to get done or in the cases where they do not build anything most money actually goes to the charity....Yes of course some people fake a get you to pay for the travels, visas etc too but they are in minority. The cost rising from my trip will be about a £1000 this will come from my own pocket. To the project itself I have donated £200 already, all other things I will ask for will go straight to the charity and not myself. Any shortfall to the amount will also come out of my own pocket. So I am giving both time and money to a charity.

Rant over image

• If anyone is interested the fella who runs justgiving has commented on The Guardian piece here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/18/sponsorship-etiquette-marathon