Tuesday 20th April 2010

....I've got a crazy teacher who wears dark glasses..

Relatively easy one for you today....and a geat I-plodding track

Today - Tues night session on grass..the big one of the week.

Still great running weather, get out there and enjoy!!

Comments

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Lyrics ring a bell but can't quite place them.  I'm sure I'll kick myself when all is revealed.

Bad night's sleep last night.  It's frustrating that I fall asleep but then wake up 20-30 minutes later and then can't get back to sleep for a couple of hours because the edge has been taken off my tiredness by my 'nap'. Oh well.

What: 5.5 miles 'easy' (but not really)
    Why: surely one day it will get easier
    Last hard: that was
    Last rest: 6th April

I'm running more slowly for the same HR than I was a year ago.  A year's training gone in 24 days of not running.  Seems unfair really.

Have a good day. 

• Keep the faith mava - it will soon be back.

Chickadeee - sorry to hear about your stress, I guess with selling up, changing jobs and moving country it was never going to be an easy time.

Jason - very nice, are you volunteering?

What:                 an hour on the turbo.
    Why:                   time constraints/it's all about the bike/knee doesn't like running.
    Last hard:            21/3.
    Last rest:              12/4.

Lyrics - yes!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

A very frustated DD as my new TT bike is sitting at Heathrow....... Grrrr

Last nights club run confirmed that I'm not far off where I was before I got sick injured as I got within 15 seconds for my PB for a 4.4K lap of the park, set when it was probably 15C cooler, its my endurance which has gone not my speed, but as no marathons are planned before October there is plenty of time to get past that one.

DTT peeps I've met... 40 mins, Gobi, Stickless, loads of other forumites who have occasionally posted on here,

What: One hour on the bike later, then a hour on a horse even later
    Why: Bike day
    Last Hard: The last 2K of the 2nd lap of the park last night as we went up to silly speed
    Last rest: 2nd April

What:

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all I KNOW THOSE LYRICS !!!!

What: 2hr brick session 90 min ride 30 min run
    Swim lunchtime but may not happen due to training course
    Run PM
    Gym PM
    Why: Races to compete in
    Last hard: this morning was a little tough on the bike
    Last rest: LOL

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    7m easy around Rotterdam's concrete.  I seem to have a cold now.  Ferry back this afternoon.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Fingers crossed it does indeed go away Jason.

Give it time mava.

Sounds like you're having a rough time of it over the last few weeks Moraghan.

What: 8m rec jog d&d / possibly a 6m rec jog pm.
    Why: no reaction overnight, just a little bit of stiffness.
    Last effort: ?
    Last rest: Saturday (non-running - Sunday).
    Lyrics: nope.

Have a great day y'all.

• Morning All

Gobi - I hope Rachel gets better soon I know it can take upto a year to recover, glad to see your plans were coming together.

DD - I will ride your bike down to you if you like, would be a nice longish ride.

TT glad to see you are recovering 

Yesterday did very easy 10 miles on bike and 6 easy mile run as tapering for VLM

Today 10 mile cycle and 6 mile speed set

Had hope for a slightly cooler day for sunday but looks like typical London marathon day and we have a bit of a heatwave. All good fun

Have a good day everybody

• Hello.

TT - the park is a combination of flat sections and hilly sections. Not sure of which 10k course was used but all races there usually have a hilly section or 2.

Pammie - Hope everything works out for you. Theres a lot of sense in the train for a marathon but dont run it theory. I nearly had to miss my marathon last year and was looking on the bright side. In hindsight i probably would have been better off had i not ran it. 

Morag - get home soon!!

I managed an easy recovery run last night. Feeling great today and now must enter my half marathon on Sunday week. I've had an eye on this one for a while. Its a tough course - there wont be any PB's but hopefully i'll crack my 1.19.30 target. (I ran my HM pb in my earlier running life and am not quite in that form yet).

Planned 10 mile session later with 2 mile efforts once legs can take it. 

• Hi all,

I must have started posing here in Oct/Nov 2002. I was just about to run my first ever 5k (in the Stevenage 5k series) and after posting for a couple of weeks I met up with a whole load of forumites at one of the London socials. Fun times.

I'm somewhat further away these days though, and made to feel further away by the ash cloud in the way, as I found out this week when I tried to get an emergency flight back (my Grandad's funeral is on Friday). No chance.

What: 20k not as easy as I'd expected
    Why: I moved my normal long run 2 days earlier in the week to give a bit extra recovery time ahead of Nelson half. But the knock on impact of a lot of miles in 6 days really was starting to show by the end of it. Still now I can relax and recover.
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: last Tuesday

Take care all. Run well.
  • all sounding v positive paddy - how far off your actual pb are you, could be next target after this ?

thanks simon for giving me a 2 day streak on the lyrics!

safe home to both stickless and moraghan - hope your journeys won't involve the ark royal
    bummer re the flight situation for your grandad's funeral M - he'd understand and you can be with him in spirit

TT - phew to your current stability, hope that was it and normal service is back on. you won't miss the anti inflammmatories

chick - hmm 'unpleasant' things are never easy, give yourself a bit of me time to get your head round things

dustin - last 3 years we've hit lucky weatherwise with a week in the lakes too. can't beat it in the warm sunshine. a bit bleak when it's cold and wet though

NZC - hope the taper will ease the foot situation, you are always so robust

today's training is likely to involve long reps and hills, we'll find out later...

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    hiya gang,
    good news TT, sensible decision pammie

As usual in the week preceeding a marathon, every niggle or ache seems pronounced (not helped by losing a foot in a pothole on last nights easy 5)
    Off to the club tonight, think its 800s but I'll be dropping at least one group maybe striding out on one or two, but nothing more.

Good news for the taxpayer however as RBS shares back over 49.9p  , approx 900m profit per penny, I'm not going to wait by the letter box for the dividend cheque though. Hopefully it shuts up the 'we bailed out the bankers' brigade - as well as making a dent in the huge budget deficit.

Oh and DD, hope the bike gets to you soon, our new car, ordered in February is still 'in transit' - its coming by boat (allegedly).
  • TT - meant to say great news on the return - hope things continue good for you.

Clink - Half M PB is 1.17 something - i forget the seconds and can't get the time from the organisers. Other PB's out of reach at the moment are 5 mile (27.30) and 4 miles (22.07). I am closer though. Probably taking age into account i am ahead of these but in my own mind i'm still in my 20's. 

• A'noon.

What: 4.5M Fartek

Why: I'm keeping my training structured.

Pammie; Hope your mum gets better soon.

TT: Hopefully no reaction today.

Just thinking,has Scobos posted on here recently ?  Can't recall seeing his contributions for a while now !

The winning time in Boston of 2:05.52 is amazing.

Have a good one.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

mava it will come back for sure

dd how frustrating about your bike!

m so sorry for you that you cant get back for you grandads funeral and echo what clink said

what: a little speedy play type thing later

why: not supposed to do too much this week

last hard: sat in the heat

last easy :yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hiya peeps,

I'm working very hard on sorting my head out and pushing any unpleasant things to next week coz I really, really want to race well on Sunday. 

Pammie: echo what others said, it is the right decision.  Best wishes to your mum.

TT: great news on getting rid of the diclo.  It does the trick so I guess the side-effects are worth it.

M: such a pity about your granddad's funeral

Mava: I'm sure you'll progress in leaps and bounds as the weeks go on.  This will just be a temporary setback.

What: 7 miles easy
    Why: tapering and it was a lovely day
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: yes
  • Afternoon all,

Pammie:  Hope you're Mum's OK.  You're probably rifght to defer; your mind won't be on the task.

I'm not sure about the best training approach is to train for a marathon and not run one.  I only train for marathons and I'm totally carp at anything else.  And Marathons too now I come to think.  Maybe the lydiard approach of marathon training for the base, then event specific is the way to go.

• What:  AM: 5m.  PM: 4m
    • Why:  Recovery
    • Last Hard: Thursday
    • Last Rest:  28/2

Have a good one!

• I'm doin' alright, getting great grades.......the future's so bright I gotta wear shades !  image
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Pammie sorry to hear about your Mum

float tank was amazing sharkie, truly lovely could do with one every week, oh to be rich...

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon

What 5.13 commute
    Why  Heavy work load
    Lyrics Yes

What with a haircut this afternoon and a trip to the big smoke (again) tomorrow I'm living in exciting times!

Cool runnings peeps

• what: guess
    why: oh go on

lyrics: well I've got them now thanks to Ms. Fleming

lyrics yesterday: I don't want to go to C*****a  by Elvis Costello (and the Attractions)
    Wabo, clink, TippTop and all other right minded people  - all is not lost, yet. (sorry DD!)

Gobi You iz back bad lad, I like it. I'm sorry to hear about Rach - I have so enjoyed reports of her relentless progress through the ranks. Like you she'll be back though, I know that.

TippTop Excellent news from phys.

Pammie Glad your Mum's improving and good to speak to you yesterday and know you're ok too.

mava
    Keep us posted with the progress with Bill. And I feel sure you will get your fitness back quicker than you think once you can start ratcheting up the miles again. Patience darling! Easy for me to say - I'd have NIL.

NZC oh crikey I'll cross everything crossable for you.

Jason Can you spill any more beans on the Africa trip? Is it hol, vol, to do with your medical training or D) none of the above?

M
    Yeah that's the problem with a packed training week, something has to give.

• Great news TT.

M - sorry to hear about your Grandad.

• M. - shame about your Grandad's funeral, sorry to hear about that

Mava - it will come back!

Re Africa - doing 6 weeks placement in a rural hospital in Tanzania, then have about 5.5 weeks travelling around Africa including a hopeful ascent of Kilimanjaro.  Haven't fully decided on the travel plans, but something including Zanzibar, Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia (and a couple of days in Cairo) is the plan! 

What:  rest day
    Why:  ran for the train and felt the knee.  No point making things worse

Nice running guys (and girls!)!

• mavamava ✭✭✭

M - sorry you won't make your grandpa's funeral.

Jason - take the malarials! My brother and his girlfriend both got malaria in Tanzania because they didn't take the pills.

Chick - hope things sort themselves out.

Gobi - best to Rach - sorry she's out injured.

Meant to say - yes 40 mins, we met at Cheddar in 2005 and I suspect you were 200 minutes back then! 

Yes Pammie, Chandos post-FLM although I wouldn't swear to 2008! 

I'm beginning to feel mildly relieved that I'm not doing VLM on Sunday.  Looks like it's going to be warm and I don't do warm! 

My whole day tomorrow has been messed up.  My plan was early rise, longish run then head off to a meeting at 11am as that was what was in my diary.   Uh oh, no I can't.  Meeting is at 8.45am so it's stoopidly early start to get a run in before going.  Grrrrr.  

Thanks for all the encouragement folks.  I'm just frustrated that I lost so much during such a short time.  I'll keep at it because that's what I do.  I just hope a few weeks at 45-50 miles a week will help. 

• Evening.

Gobi - I've got the dreaded plantar fasciitis but I am able to run. It does hurt after long, long runs but, for the most part, I'm able to cope with it. Rachel must have a bad case...or I'm doing something I shouldn't!

Pammie - I forgot to mention that, as with others, sorry about your mum and hope things get better for her. Sorry to hear you had to defer but, also agree, it sounds like the right decision.

TT - yay! You're able to run! Glad things worked out.

What: 3 x 1.5m at 10k pace 8:46-8:26 with .25 jog recoveries and mile warm up and cool down

Why: I'm wondering myself

Last rest: yesterday

Last hard: tonight

Lyrics: no

Think I'm still quite tired from Sunday's run as tonight was rather difficult and I am SO ready for bed right now. image Did this session a couple weeks ago and it was difficult then too but I just feel exhausted! Was going to re-jig the schedule this week anyway since my Friday night driving lesson is off for the week and to account for tiredness. I was going to run today and tomorrow, rest Thursday and run Friday, rest Saturday. Think I'm going to rest tomorrow instead, run Thursday and Friday, still rest Saturday. 

Starting to have honest to God doubts about my ability to complete this marathon. Hoping this is normal. image 

• Mava - great that you are able to help that blind guy get into running. Does he have use of a treadmill - that will help him get his fitness up in between outdoor runs with you.

M. - sorry to hear about your grandad and that you aren't able to get back for the funeral.

Chickadee - really sorry to hear things aren't going well on the homefront. You've done the work girl, get out and bag that good marathon that you deserve.

postie - you are sounding great.

Gobi - sorry about Rachel's foot - my husband has the same thing, and is hobbling around with a stick at the moment.

Jason - your trip sounds wonderful. I was in Africa in 1973 - never climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, but was on the foothill, went to Mombasa, but not to Zanzibar, travelled through Mozambique and Malawai - I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience.

What: 3 miles jog am. Then mowed the lawns in the afternoon, then had enough time to have a quick shower and drive into town to run O'Hagan's 5k. Didn't really know how I'd go and whether it was the right thing to do, but ran the best 5k in 3 years - 21.22. My foot and leg didn't hurt at all, but all last night and this morning, it is back again.

Guess if it doesn't hurt while I'm running then it is o'kay.

Good running everyone.

• Well done NZC - cracking 5k!

pjlovr - yep, that kind of doubt is par for the course, you'll be fine. Are your iron levels ok?

• LMH - thanks. I don't know about my iron. I hate broccoli and spinach so possibly not good! I have tried adding baby spinach to my avocado and mozzarella bagel sandwiches though as I can cover up the taste with the other ingredients. Oh and I take a multivitamin so should get some in there hopefully.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Well done NZC!

Gobi: sorry to hear about Rach...hope she can "manage"  the injury, particularly by cross training.

What: 40 mins steady
    Why: struggling on "long" runs so need to do more of them! Was supposed to do reps but have moved these to Thurs.

Last hard: last Tues
    Last rest: Dec 21
    Last lyrics...

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Oh Debbie...I fell into the trap of giving the lyrics away LOL!!

Some sensible tapering for the marathoners here. I remember worrying about any uneven ground and crossing every road, i'm sure I was going to get injured somehow...

Sharkie - slightly before my time, but do like a bit of EC...prefer 'pump it up' tho..stormer!!

Tonight - 400,600,800,1000,1200 and back down again. Once again the wind sprung up from nowhere (not going to rant again!!)..didn't feel great, but got it done.

Well done NZC on the PB..Go for it Chick!!

• Christine Excellent 5k time. I will continue keep everyting crossed for you though - with the bigger picture in mind!

Jason That sounds like quite a visit. I had a feeling you'd be combining hol, vol and, er, something that doesn't rhyme but means hospital work.

pjlovr Calm down lass, you will be just fine! The rest bit is really important.

Simon Yeah, Pump It Up is a top track. It's from the same LP as 'Chelsea'  - This Year's Model.