Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• You mean the ballot? It's May the 4th this year, unless you entered the last two years.

I wonder if Brighton, assuming it gets the go ahead, will drop the guarantee that London runners can return their places. I sort of think they should, especially if they allow number transfer again, as I think they should. 

• I'm half thinking of applying for London, but the other half of me is thinking "sod that, I LOVE BRIGHTON, so why would I want to betray my beautiful city and the wonderful support of all the spectators and the hard work of Tim Hutchings etc, just to go for the obvious choice"... But a bit of me says "well if you're going to run marathons, then you really ought to do THE BIG ONE once"....

I don't know.... what do you think? have any of you seasoned pro's got any pearls of wisdom on the subject? Someone told me "if you loved brighton then you'll REALLY love London" is that true? is it really another notch better still? I'd like to think not. I'd like to think the novelty and excitement of Sunday made it as good as London

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    BR - I didn't get to do Brighton this year but have done London twice.  The first time (and my first Marathon) I didn't enjoy it at all.  The second time round I loved it.  There's a stretch that isn't very nice - but I guess that you experienced that at power station so I guess it's up to you.  It's just so damn difficult to get in though!
  • Wow...a forum already for Brighton 2011.  Did not manage it this year due to injury, so it's now unfinished business and I'm determined to get to the finish line next year!!! Just praying they decide to do it again.image

Looking forward to chatting to you all over the next 12 months!

• I pleased with my PB time was 3H.52.Back Next Year 100%
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Brighton rocks

if every goes well at Chester for me and Anglsey then I am in
  • Hi all, I shall be there next year if it goes ahead, this year was FAB!

Hi to all the 2010 threadlers, nice to see you  againimage.....mind you, will I be able to cope with a 12 month build up this time??

• Well done on your PB Speedy B by the way, is that 2 in a row for you? image
  • null

Ok I found the race hellish this year I got cramps threw up a few times and came in a lot slower than id trained for but AS WE ARE MARATHONERS!!I will retake the challenge of beating the four hour mark at the Brighton marathon next year 2011, as I believe the clique is true "if you don't succeed try and try again!!”

Now what about my toes there buggard theyve gone black any ideas on how to heal them?
  • Get the sandals on and wear those black toes with pride. You earned them.
  • All being well shall be there next year

one thing I would do different this time is enter more races I did a lot of my long runs on my own which I found after a while it was hard to maintain  the motivation

Where as a lot of the other incorporated race into their training  

• Well, with 3 miles to go I swore I'd never run another f@cking marathon again. Within 24hrs I decided I have to do it all again next year!!

London is my local marathon, but the Brighton was just fantastic and I think I'd rather do it than the London.

Now got a marathon PB to beat - 3:39 is my next target!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Monkey - It is a slippery slope you know. I wanted to do one for my 40th Birthday and now I have done 11 and  13 by the end of the year.
  • GS Monkey wrote (see)
    Well, with 3 miles to go I swore I'd never run another f@cking marathon again. Within 24hrs I decided I have to do it all again next year!! London is my local marathon, but the Brighton was just fantastic and I think I'd rather do it than the London. Now got a marathon PB to beat - 3:39 is my next target!

Oh Mate I'm with you there ......

My first words on crossing the line (in between trying not to cry) were somethig along the lines of "that was awesome..... but never, EVER again!!" 

But that resolve started to crumble once I'd sat on the beach for an hour or two drinking Becks Vier and watching the admiring glances of people walking by.

I fear this may become an obsession

• I loved Brighton this year. Not sure if will be doing this or London next year. (or maybe both like quite a few people seem to be)
    Am really torn at the moment, my whole reason for doing Brighton was to get my GFA and now I've achieved it (unless they change the GFA times for 2011) I'm just not sure which to do. ( I know my kids age 3 & 1 would both vote for Brighton, they loved it!)

Which ever I decide though I'm deefinatly sticking with the Brighton thread. Ipod debates aside this really was a fantastic supportive thread which I really wouldn't have got through trainning without. I'll try and contribute a bit more regularly this time around though!

Have been debating an Autumn marathon, but think I've managed to persuade myself to stick to halfs for a bit and work on my speed. My OH isn't going to be around much this year which would mean training would involve alot of long runs on dreadmill while little ones in bed. (I've already discovered 20 miles on the dreadmill isn't much fun)

What races has everyone else got lined up? I'm doing Brandon half at the end of May. Then hopefully Ipswich half in Aug, Felixstowe half in Oct and possibly Norwich half in Nov. Hopefully a few shorter races scattered in if there very local and ny hubby is around to look after the kids. Hopefully injurys allowing I'll then be ready to smash my PB next spring over 26.2 miles. Can't wait!
  • having done Brighton and London - and Londona again this Sunday for the 3rd time - I'd chose Brighton any day given one go at it. London is just too crowded in comparison and actually quite dull from a visual POV when you compare it with the delights of the south coast.

my only proviso is the weather. if you've ever run on the exposed Channel coast in a howling south westerly gale then it isn't pleasant - bloody awful in fact. and the support would disappear instantly!

London in the wind and rain is not so bad as the buildings take the sting off the wind and there is more shelter for spectators.

anyway - you can't chose the weather - so go with Brighton!!
  • FB I'm glad you said that, I suspected that might be the case but it's good to hear it from someone who's done both.

You know what though.... maybe next year I'll do both? Sod it why not. So many people on Sunday made dumb ass comments to me after the race about "Oh well just be glad you're not Eddie Izzard you'd have to do it all again tomorrow" that maybe I'll just do two back to back next year..... Right now I feel like I possibly could run London on Sunday..... why not.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the weather on Brighton. Like many of you I've done the Sussex Beacon (Brighton) half most years and it's been diabolical on more than one occassion. This year was among the worst with wind, rain and hail, hence not more than a handful of bedraggled family and friends loyally facing the elements for the sake of thier competing loved ones.

But that's always in February.... and it's still fun anyway.

Come on Mr Hutchings, strike while the irons hot, my wallets out so sign me up now before I remember Basin Road and change my mind

FB and all VLM folk, good luck for Sunday.

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

FB (and anyone else doing London on Sunday) - I'll be on one of the baggage lorries at the end, near Admiralty Arch with the rest of my buddies from Edmonton RC.  If you're numbers in the 5000's look out for us and say helloimage

I too am toying with the idea of doing both next year, it'll be one way to make my 50th year memorable!

The medal for Brighton looked great.

• Where does the date of the 10th come from? Have they "suggested" it as a date? or really just rumour?

I'd echo fb's comments about the weather, running on top of the downs along the race course to Roedean and Rottingdean, then along the sea front when the weather is vile in the middle of winter isn't a bundle of laughs!

• News just in... 

"Brighton Marathon 2011 will be bigger and better, organisers have vowed.

The Argus can reveal that entry into next year's event will be open within the next three weeks in the hope of attracting two or three thousand more runners.

Race director Tim Hutchings also said that readers are helping to shape the future of the marathon as organisers look through comments and blogs left on websites.

Following the success of Sunday’s race a provisional date of May 7 has been set for marathon entries.

Mr Hutchings and his team are due to have a meeting with Brighton and Hove City Council tomorrow where they will discuss Sunday's event and plans for next year.

The Argus understands that if the race is given the go ahead, the second Brighton Marathon is likely to take place on Sunday April 10, the week before the 2011 London Marathon.

Mr Hutchings said: “We want to strike while the iron's hot because people are very keen to take part in the marathon again.”

<!-- Actual Article Text End -->
  •  Next year`s London Marathon is confirmed as 17 April.I do hope they make Brighton an annual event,i loved it.And would sign up today if i could.
  • Misty willow thanks for that!!!!!

All hail Tim Hutchings. Bring it on!!

Hove actually 

• They're watching us. Quick everyone pile in with ridiculous suggestions and see what we can get put through.

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow then!image
  • mistywillow wrote (see)

Race director Tim Hutchings also said that readers are helping to shape the future of the marathon as organisers look through comments and blogs left on websites.

Well Just in case you're reading this, I have only 2 comments

a) Everything was perfect, don't go changing.....

b) Except one thing... The last bit, mile 23/24 along the prom between Hove Lagoon and the Bottom of Grand Avenue had no barriers or anything to signify that there was a race going on. So we were running along amidst normal people out for a Sunday stroll. There was very little support or even awareness of what we were all doing at that point and it was only as we turned back onto the road at mile 25 that the support started again

Apart from that. Perfect!

• Brighton Rocks wrote (see)
    mistywillow wrote (see)

Well Just in case you're reading this, I have only 2 comments

a) Everything was perfect, don't go changing.....

b) Except one thing... The last bit, mile 23/24 along the prom between Hove Lagoon and the Bottom of Grand Avenue had no barriers or anything to signify that there was a race going on. So we were running along amidst normal people out for a Sunday stroll. There was very little support or even awareness of what we were all doing at that point and it was only as we turned back onto the road at mile 25 that the support started again

Apart from that. Perfect!

And not have to climb four flights of stairs after you've finished to get out of the finish area!
  • Is it very sad that I had a google alert set up for "Brighton Marathon 2011"?

I had thought I would be trying to get into London 2011, but ever since Sunday I don't really care about London any more - Brighton all the way!

• If there's anyone in two minds about whether to enter next year, check this vid -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IY5i_oE1NU

Warning - may cause spontaneous outpourings of emotion

• I can see the Brighton Marathon taking on a bit of a cult status. Bit like Brighton itself, quirky, groovy, fashionable, bohemian..... Brilliant

• Let’s hope it doesn’t become a victim of its own success.

Tens of thousands of extra people wanting to run will either mean a very crowded race or make it hard to get a place.