Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

What a fantastic day yesterday - weather aside of course! No PB for me, but given the weather and the fact I had a bit of a cold the week before I'm not going to complain.

It was without doubt the most well-organised mass participation event I have done. From the minute I got to the Mill Road park and ride and the guys directing us there, the coach driver that got us to the start, everyone at the start, around the course marshalling and handing out drinks, all the guys at the finish dishing out stuff, right up to the coach driver taking us back to the car park who stopped en-route to pick up an unused crate of water on the course! A big thank you to everyone involved.

Also a big thanks to the supporters on the course. I actually enjoyed the tranquility of the parts where there were no supporters - sometimes at London the wall to wall noise can be a bit too much, even though it is meant wth the best of intentions! So the early parts of yesterday's route where supporters were sparse were fine by me.

I know that it isn't the cheapest race to enter, but if it is that well organised again next year then I have no qualms with parting with £48 for next years race, which I've already done. At least I won't have the doubt of whether or not I'll be in for a marathon next spring, which I what I'd have if I applied for London.

• Options
    Those water pouches were great, I kept one with me for ages, might be because they were a bit of a puzzle to drink from. But that was good, frustrating but good because it took my mind off things (I must have the mind of a gorilla chucked a fag butt at the zoo) and I knew I could chuck the pouch to the side without fear of hurting a runner behind me.
  • Options

Well, my 19th marathon and although not a pw by the clock a pw in terms of having to walk. Like many others I had to walk the last 6 miles or so and even then had to keep stopping to rest my legs. I have never had to do that before even though I have had to take walking breaks. Came in in 5:22 even though I was hoping for 4:30.

The first half of the course was OK, a little hillier than I had anticipated. But the wheels started falling off at about mile 15, by mile 17 I was having to push on and by 18 I was taking walking breaks. At 20 my legs were more than empty and walked the rest of the way.

Saw three people take falls. One at mile 12 where she clipped the curb and then two by the power station where they come a cropper on the speed humps.

One amazing thing happened. At about mile 17 a grey haired lady ran up to me and gave me £20 for my sponsorship. I was so surprised and having to push hard that I did not stop to find out the reason: I am assuming that it was the lupus charity she was responding to. Even more amazing there is a photo of it on flicker:

lady making a donation http://www.flickr.com/photos/37876430@N06/5607503836/sizes/l/in/photostream/

• Options

Well just got back from brighton and its feels like  i've just arrived home from a foreign holiday ( i'm in Wombourne near Wolverhampton  cloudy and cold )

This was my first marathon and it was fantastic

the weather was great

the support was brilliant and so was the coarse

i did it in 3.13 congratulations to everyone involed especially all the volenteers

see you all next year               CLIFF

• Options

KP3...no way would any one expect you to marshall the chap who took a short cut...sure that would have been frustrating to witness though...congrats on you finish...

re: water puches..very good idea but i too struggled intially with the opening and just squeezed it open!!!

• Options

Right that's enough moping from me, time to list some random positives:

• I made it to 17 miles before I took a walk break which is officially the longest distance I've run non-stop in a race
    • Thanks to all the supporters who shouted out my name, it was worth the effort putting it on my vest
    • I can walk a mile in 15:03 which isn't much slower than my slow run pace
    • I came pretty close to a DNF but I hung on and finished
    • It was great that there was loads of water left for us slower runners, even at the end
    • Can't describe how good a pack of ready salted crisps taste after 26 miles of jelly babies and Lucozade

I've already signed up for an Autumn Half to stop me looking at Marathons image

• Options

Julia T -  I was in a bit of a mess when you passed me but the SJA guys put me right. I was glad that they let me continue as by that stage I just wanted to ge my medal by any means necessary (without cheating!)

Lep Recorn - I the yellow guy with wings several times on the course but didn't realise it was you. Would've shouted if I had. That's great that the lady gave you some money!

When I crossed the line (with OH in tow) there were boxes & boxes of t-shirts & goodie bags still going spare. AND they still had small t-shirts so I have one that fits for once image

• Options
    Gatton wrote (see)

Right folks.... why are some of you beating yourselves up..... you are all stars and should be so proud . i have been very lucky to have completed 50 marathons and every one is different as the weather,course and your body can beat you at any time.that is why when you have completed your marathon you join the club..............if it was easy every one would be doing the distance and we wouldn't feel so special.

More wise words from Gatton.  On the last 6 miles I chanted to myself "I'm doing this because it is difficult" and that really got me pumped up and running again after walking quite a bit.

I actually like the course.  I'm another one that likes quiet stretches and the wall of sound when you get back to the crowds is much more special that having it all the way round.  I didn't even mind the power station this time but still don't like that long drag at mile 16ish. But everyone course has its good and bad bits (London included) and I also enjoy the loops and out and backs.  As a back of the pack runner it can get lonely I feel like I'm more part of the big event when I can see the more of the field.

Wolfie - sorry you had such a bad day but it was lovely to meet you at last.  I was surprised to see you so far back down the field so it clearly wasn't your day and I know you are capable of much better.

Congratulations to all finishers. See you all on the 2012 thread. image

• Options
    Darris Blackford wrote (see)

Just a quick thank you and well done to all of the runners and walkers who joined in with the Clif Bar Pace Leaders yesterday! We brought over a group of 5 leaders from our U.S. team, and secured 6 leaders from the U.K., and all performed brilliantly, especially given the warm conditions!

Special thanks for our U.K. leaders: Mark Shepherd (3:10), Nick Gracie (3:20), Ian Berry (3:30), David Hegarty (4:00), Sandra Bowers (4:15), and our alternate Racheal Elliott, and our U.S. leaders: George Roulett (3:40), Star Blackford (4:30), Robin Roulett (5:00) and Sharon McNary (5:30).

These were among the warmest temperatures we have faced in the States in our 8+ years of pacing, and we were amazed by the strength of the Brighton field! And the spectators - in a word - SPLENDID!

THANK YOU!

Darris Blackford (3:50 Pace Leader)

Hi Darris

I'm really glad you posted & hope you see this as I ran with your pace group until 13m & then, sort of by accident/false optimism, drifted ahead of you guys so never really got to say "Goodbye" or "Thank you"!!

As it was, I think I was slightly optimistic to put my foot down so early, & once the heat really hit from about 20m on I struggled & found the last 3m very hard in particular. As I was approaching the finish line I saw you & the guy from Chichester runners (hello- I spoke to you at the end!!) just crossing the line about 1 second in front of me so maybe I should have just stuck with you image  - especially as not realising how bleak the Shoreham power station bit would be on my own image I finished in 3:49:59 so had a second to spare!!!

I hope everyone else in our pace group finished & got the time they hoped for - the heat certainly made it hard work, especially from halfway. I'm sorry I don't  know your names, but thought we were a fun gang with good camaraderie - the 1st 13m passed far more quickly, & were much better fun, than the 2nd half on my own!

So a BIG  thank you to Darris & crew!!

Caroline (white baseball cap, annoyingly shouting out the split times every (almost) mile & nearly twisted my ankle tripping on a cateye!!!) 

• Options
    Carlo, I was also confusing when I got given a water pouch. In fact I struggled to get any water out of it so swapped it for a water bottle at the end of the water station. I meant to throw the pouch between the water station voluteers, but actually chucked it straight into a poor girls stomach. Opps. Next time I got a pouch I sucked and squeezed (ahem) at the same time and ended up choking on the water. I stuck to bottles from then on...
  • Options
    GATTON! Was so lovely to meet you finally, and such a friendly face! Sorry I threw myself at you for a hug but it was well needed and thank you for worrying about me, it made me blub once I left you image You were doing a great job image
  • Options
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one with water pouch issues. I took one and then tried to drink it and nothing came out. So I gave it a squeeze and the whole lot sprayed into my mouth. I found myself gasping for air for a few seconds. This really wasn't what I needed after about 25 miles. The water was also really warm, I did actually start to wonder if it was actually water that I had just ingested and not some kind of bizarre sun application. A very unfortunate episode indeed.

• Options

Hi all.  Well doen everyone.  it was way too hot.

anyone know where/if the split times can be found?

Cheers

• Options

Extremely enjoyed that yesterday, Loved the guy on New Church Road with the hose, I saw him and jogged across straight away very refreshing! 

Im now not a marathon  virgin and have realised how to improve from here on in, bring on the one next year as Just booked my place!

I hope everyone enjoyed the day and well done!

• Options
    having picture upload issues....
  • Options

Huge congratulations to everyone who finished BM in very challenging conditions - although I hear they had to put up with 28 degrees in Paris image 

Just back from a very memorable weekend.  Managed to change corral from green to pink to start the race with OH.  Met Lep Recorn in the pink pen - in full fancy dress he was very hard to miss!  Hope the make up stayed on in those temperatures.

Spotted Mr Immune, the 4 hour pacer, at the front of the pen and tried to make our way up the pen to start near him but didn't want to p*** other runners off by pushing through.  Caught up with him at 7 miles and stayed just behind him for the next few miles.  OH's wheels fell off between 17 and 18 and then I was on my own.  It was really, really hard work up to the power station and back and quite soul destroying and I too was expecting to run through a wall of speakers.  Did I dream that?

Managed to hold it together, keep Mr Immune's balloons in my sights and run moreorless even splits to achieve my dream of a sub-4 finish and a PB by 26 minutes (3:58).  Bawled my eyes out as I did not think it would be possible in that heat and with all those *upflats*, so I guess I learned something about the power of positive thought (and denial of pain!) on Sunday.  When things got unpleasant I thought of James Cracknell having his toenails drilled and that helped.  There's always someone worse off . . .image

Overall I thought it was an exceptionally well organised event with all the atmosphere of London but without the congestion so you were free to run your own race without too much dodging and weaving.  Even so I also ended up running more than a marathon, about 26.5 miles. 

A huge thank you to everyone who made the event such a storming success.  You did your city proud on Sunday image

• Options
    Well done all! I finished in 5.23. My boyfriend ran around with me and got me round even though he could have gone much faster, so I'm very grateful to him. I hadn't been able to train for the past 6 weeks so I was very undertrained and had to have a little walk each mile marker from about 16 miles.

At the half marathon I was underwhelmed by the support on the route, but yesterday Brighton did itself proud. It was a lovely day for the spectators at least and thanks to everyone who gave me a cheer, a jelly baby, a slice of orange (soooo.... good) or a spray with a garden hose!

I really like the out and back sections of the course because I like to distract myself by looking at the runners coming the other way and giving a cheer to those with their names on their shirts (and getting some cheers back). It really took my mind off the pain and the exhaustion as the miles ticked by.
  • Options

I think you will find the water pouches were the extra supplies that races have to put in place when the temp goes above 21 degrees.  You just had to squeeze..although some girly moaned at me for squirting it at her instead of on my head!!! image 

Am I missing something...but weren't the water bottles small anyway? Just Powerage in big bottles?

Well done Ladyplodder and good call ditching the OH imageimage

• Options

Hi everyone

All I can say is what a brillant day, extremely hot and tough going for most of the second half, but can't really complain about anything.

A big thanks to the organisers and an even bigger thanks to all the supporters who were shouting their support for me as I struggled round, it was the first time I had my name on my vest and it really made all the difference.

I ran last year and did 5.08, I really wanted this year for around 4.30, but finally came in at 4.50, so a PB and in that heat, can't really complain.

Already signed up for next year and this time determined to do minus 4.30, did also sign up two guys from work, god help them.

Nice to catch up with some fellow runners at the Travel lodge and well done to everyone who took part.

• Options

Tracey B.... you are so welcome to a hug any time... Hope to see you again on home soil....

• Options

I've found a reason no to sign up to 2012 today - i can't afford to.  Tomorrow however is a different matter - i'll see how i ffel in the morning!

Strange how i can look back at the photo mum got of me about to cry & laugh now. My goodness it didn't feel funny at the time.  Mind you 3 hours later i was laughing as my flip flops floated away from me in the sea!

Bizarre how you can go from one extreme to the other!

• Options

Jenny - put your race number into the box on the top right hand corner of the page and you'll get all of your race photos.

I'm just laughing away about the water pouches.  Right towards the end a big guy running next to me squirted me with his water - a big jet of it.  I laughed and squirted him back with my trusty bottle of water, which I carried obsessively.  He seemed slightly confused, but I was going faster so thought no more of it and continued past.  Now I'm wondering if it was an accidental squirting with one of those pouches and he just thinks I'm a rude cow... image

LepRepcorn - I followed you for ages round the powerstation and got ever so confused about who a fairy pirate might be.  Sorry!  Should have said hello.

• Options

Skimmed through posts but haven't digested info yet. I think I'm feeling the effect of last night's cocktails-nothing to do with the activity earlier in the day!  It was great to have the chance to meet some of the forumites at the travelodge and to share the morning stroll up to the start line. Will have to check back to see how you all did.

I liked the route, thought the stages were in keeping with my mental state. First stage settling down finding a pace, soaking up the atmosphere, nice and noisy, then second stage out to the green grass and sea, more peaceful and taking it all in, discovering just how hot it was going to be, turn around and back into town, perfect as a half way point, crowd going mental, third stage starting really hurting, leg crocked, hobbling out to the power station, feeling grim but determined, finally stage turning for home and the road to glory- and what seemed a long long way to that pier and an amazing amount of people cheering and encouraging you all the way home. Saw you, Green Fairy at the start by the travelodge and also at the powerstation - did you fly?

I liked the loops and the opportunity to see and appreciate other runners, both way infront and behind me. Loved watching the elites go by outside the park when we were all still standing still nowhere near the startline. Amazing effort by the soldiers and firemen in full kit and all the costumed runners.

Re water-I took a bottle everytime filled up my smaller bottle that I always carry, swigged out the larger bottle and then poured the rest over my head. Slowed me down but it meant I always had water in a size I could carry.  Not a proposal for what should be done, just what worked for me!

Totally missed the finishing goody bag, was it after your medal and before chip removal? Didn't realise until I was after the baggage collection lorries and I saw everyone else with them!-any way I can get one now? All I want is the t-shirt.

Brighton did itself proud. The crowd, the volunteers, the charity supporters were all brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed my dodgy burger in a bun and my powerade at the end and my ice cream shortly afterwards!

• Options
    Ladyplodder fantastic running, well done! AWESOME image

AHA! Well done to you too image Sorry we didn't get to meet but time was not on our side.

Jenny I am now having second thoughts about that 'Never again'...... there's always the everpresents...

And waves to everyone
  • Options

Congratulations to all of you who finished it.  Sounded like a really hard run in the heat.  I couldn't make it this year, but have already entered for next year.  My mate has also signed herself up - not sure if she knows what shes let herself in for!  lol  image

• Options
    helps if i enter 6967 not 6769 image
  • Options
    What a great marathon. Never thought I'd make the start line let alone the finnish but run-walk startegy paid off even if it did end up being a walk-walk strategy.

Loved running along the clifftop - how amazing - and the support through town was incredible.

I have no negatives at all. The whole thing was just great. Well done everyone especially those of us who started when they didn't think they'd be able to.
  • Options

Weather was not so hot here today in Brighton and as the afternoon has gone on it’s got quite cloudy could have done with this yesterday

Must say i can’t look anther power aid in the face never bothered with it last year but because of the heat decided to give it a go only took it at 2 of the stations and that was enough

Never bothered with the shock blocks because of a sinus problem can’t breathe though my noise so chewing and running is nigh in possible

Loved the amount of water stations come the end it was half to drink and half over the head i am glad i decided to wear a cap this year showers were a god send again this year

Still had a small problem with the crowd encroaching on the course again this year but nowhere near as bad as last it was the little old lady at the bottom of St Thomas St that got me there was a whole crowed of us and she was still determined that her and her suitcase were going across that road

James thanks for the kind comments i went the half way point 4 miuntes faster than last year but like every one struggled over the last 6 miles i am glad the line came when it did as i don’t know how much longer i could have gone well done to you on your time as well hope to see you next year

Aha was nice to see you on Saturday you were looking strong when you pass me at the 2 mile mark and went away from me

Tracy B love the photo of you hitting the wall i gave it a slap on the way through and a kiss on the way back i was just so glad to still be going at that point

Fourtysomthing it was nice to meet you and James on Saturday glad you got around Ok nice to see you entered for next year’s race

SYCD hope your race went ok