Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• It's just twigged that one of the runners I cheered by name (on the out and back section over towards the power station) was "soupy" - was this the famous soup dragon?   
  • Like FB I'm looking forward to the tri season starting up. I've now retired from marathon running.
  • Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭
    I just bought the Argus. There are some photos of some of the more comely contestants (that is, not me), and a list giving place, name and gun time...still, it would be difficult to do anything more elaborate. Happy to send mine on to someone who wants one.
  • soup dragon was indeed out on the course. We exchanged hugs a couple of times.
  • Apparently it was 24.5 degrees at 4pm image

Orange Powerade tastes like Medicine! Blue is berry and tropical.. got a bottle on my desk image I loves a freebie image

GF, you kidnapped her at the Expo!

Runner32, well done on finishing image You sould be proud! I did dispute the 'not hilly' debate originally. Particularly if you train fairly flat. It's very undulating although this year I've trained hilly, so it wasn't so bad!

NLR, you seemed to soften for a while! Gatton's a lovely person so don't be so defensive! Well done on your time - even though not a PB image - was great in that heat. I think it was a general suggestion rather than directly aimed at you.

I'd like to thank you all for your support, and friendships formed (even though some virtually). I'm retiring from this thread now, and marathons, and trying to concentrate on work.. and training open-water swimming.. racing road bikes.. wetsuit purchasing.. smarter faster shorter distances....

Well done everyone! Hope for speedy recoverys and a successful summer racing season!

• I'm probably taking the rest of the week off from running but I will be doing a gentle gym session tomorrow hopefully.

Going to try to stick to 3 runs a week, 1 pilates session, 1 gym session and 1 Boris Bike trip a week. May go back to physio if my knee doesn't improve.

Windsor Half booked for September and there's a local 10K in June/July in the meantime.

Ironwolf, I'm joining you in at least a temp retirement from marathons. I've only had one race out of 5 that's gone as I planned so starting to think I'm not cut out for the training and commitment of them.

• Well it dawned on me the 2012 is Olympic year. And I read an article saying they hope to televise it next year.

So I've entered next year and I will be better!
  • Just back after spending the last couple of days with my family at the caravan park in Brighton..... it topped off a fantastic few days in beautiful Brighton...

I had a great first marathon, managed to keep going and finished in 4:23 which I was really pleased with given the weather !

I thought the race was fantastically organised and supported and will definatley be back next year....

Well done to everyone.... and thanks so much to everyone who has posted advice on this forum.... I look forward to the 2012 thread getting going

Gx

• North London Runner wrote (see)

The route will be tough if you only run 14 miles before the race. You only get out what you put in. Personally I think if you can't put in the training they why bother at all.

Amusing that Gatton thought that my lack of electrolytes was hightened by being on my feet too long before the race. I was sat on my arse watching the Paris marathon on Eurosport in my front room at 8.15. Perhaps next time i will get someone to wheel me to the start.

I had only been able to train to 9 miles, due to severe pain in my shins - but with £500 raised at that point i wasn't backing out.  I don't see why i shouldn't "bother at all" I may not have completed it as fast as i hoped but 5:27:10 in 24 degrees for a first marathon isn't bad - plus i have now raised £2000 & am being featured onmy gym's news section on their website.  If you can't be bothered to put the training in, then thats another matter but being unable to train as much as i would have like due to injury does not mean i'm not going to bother getting to that start line.

I;m still undecided as to next year, i was thinking i would like to beat my time and hope that this rock tape really is working and i could train with less injury this time. But part of me is thinking, is it worth entering when i know i'm never going to reach a reasonable time, because i am not naturally a long distance runner. Put me in an hours body attack class & i can burn 600 calories an hour & work my socks off, put me in a Body pump class & i will give most of the women a run for their money on lots of the tracks.

But am i just going to end up feeling disappointed in myself like this year each time - if so is it worth it?

(sorry, think i've reached that anticlimax/crash)

• Jenny 5:27 is an AWESOME time, 20 mins quicker than me and I managed every single run in my plan at the planned speed (sometimes faster) culminating in a 20 mile run and a 39 mile week. So please, please do not beat yourself up, you are amazing.

And who is to say what a reasonable time is? Any time is better than someone who has not competed.

Wear your medal and t-shirt with pride image
  • Absolutely right Who is to say what is a reasonable time. For me it's down to effort not the outcome. No finger pointing at any individuals. For me(myself personally) my first question when I enter a marathon is can I put the commitment in. Only if the answer is yes do I enter
  • jb - don't beat yourself up - you finished allowing for the injuries and you should take a lot of credit from that - many would not have bothered, you did and the charity is now better off for it.

take time to reflect on matters - only you can decide the next step and if it's worth it.

"pain is temporary, pride lasts forever" - you should be proud of what you achieved.
  • Julia T - if you say who is to say what is a reasonable time then don't patronise people by telling them thay have an awesome time. Judge or don't judge but don't be a hypocrite

• ?

I think anyone who finishes has an awesome time NLR.

If you're going to call me a hypocrite - and I don't understand what makes me one - I'll bow out of the thread thank you very much!
  • Thank you all. I do have a habit of feeling that things aren't good enough. Have had the conversation with mum since i posted - ended with me in tears & her saying the same things as you...

I think i worked so hard (around the shins)  to get there (squat weight is now half my body weight) and focused on it so much in the last month. Everything was marathon - i'm still unemployed, and will be for a long time, i didn't get into uni & now my voluntary group has broken up for easter - i think i'm suffering from having nothing to focus on and have that "what now?" feeling.

So what now?

I think i've decided not to wait & see if i can get a charity place, not sure i can raise that much money 2 years running. I think next year i want to do it for me & enjoy it without owrrying about sponsorship money. That may change but i'm buying my own place again to start with.

Time to leave the 2011 thread and head to 2012.

bye xx

• Well done Jenny. Now that attitude is TOTALLY AWESOME xxxx
  • Well done Jenny!

Let's hope for cooler weather next year! Not that I've pushed the button yet....

And thanks so much for finding my finishing picture on Flikr. I absolutely love it as it shows that I finished it with pride, enthusiasm and happiness despite my slight delay image

MIght see you on the 2012 forum. image

• I have the first 3000 finishers as a spreadsheet. Will upload somewhere if anyone is interested?

(Proper reply later when I'm not on my phone)
  • PMB (Post Marathon Blues)

Bugger
  • Thanks everyone - I read the forum the whole time and love to hear about how people got on. We got back from Brighton today after staying on a couple of extra days. Weather has been cooler since Sunday, by the way.

I managed a PB of around 3h5mins20s on Sunday, beating previous best at Rutland Water last year by twenty minutes (it helped not having gates and cattle grids!). Fifth marathon completed and best I've felt so far during one despite the heat.

Felt the temp around 17 miles in when couldn't find shade. I must have zig zagged so much during the race (to find the shade) as my garmin completed the distance just over 400m from the end! Had been aiming for sub 3 but was around this point that I knew I would be just outside.

Thought the crowds were great and even high fived some kids towards the end and managed to get the crowd to clap along with me for the last few hundred meters.

My double buff combo worked well - (check out bib number 2881 in the photo's) with one around the neck to block the sun there and one around the forehead to soak up the sweat. Looking good is second to feeling good.

Surprised to finish 62nd / 63rd (seem to have got demoted a place since Sunday night?), but gives me something to aim for next year (just entered) - sub 3 hours and/or top 50.

Now onto tomorrows 50k run from London to Welwyn Garden City for works charity of the year; legs are back working ok, and got others running as well so should be fine!

• Tim, I'd be interested in your spreadsheet..the current results are a right faff..what I really want is to be able to pull off club times.

Our corporate team managed 2nd place even though they have us as 3rd!! image We would have snatched first if one of our fastie guys had pulled up.

• Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭
    Me too for the spreadsheet. I need it for my club's results for our Facebook page. I am going to prod, gently, the organisers. If the Brighton Marathon is to have the stature they claim for it, and I believe it deserves, then surely they can be more professional when it comes to results.
  • Link to top 3000 (sub 4h23m) only. Unfortunately club names are missing. Hopefully the full results will be available soon, as BM website is next to useless.

http://db.tt/A7XyPDw
  • BSW77 - my Garmin told me I'd also ran over the 26.2 - it came up with more like 26.4, and when I ran under the banner at the start that said 0.2 gone, 26 to go I'd already done 0.3 miles, and I started my Garmin right on the start line!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Simon - mine also said 26.4 but that is the curse and joy of the Garmin. The course was set by Hugh Jones so I would believe it to be 99.999999999% accurate so for pacing I was also wearing a pace band and worked off the course markers.

Mind you the Garmin was a useful guide.

Gobi
  • Nerves almost ruined my big day!

Just wondered if anyone has experienced what i did during Sunday's marathon. This was my 1st ever race and had trained all year for it trying to do everything by the book. About 10 minutes before the start my legs felt so heavy and i started to panic. By mile 2 i started to get cramp (never suffered from cramp during training) and had to start walking and was stopping to stretch. Things didn't improve and by 8 miles i was mentally broken and couldn't see how i could finish. I kept plodding along and at mile 16 i suddenly felt strong and was a different person managing to finish in 6 hours 20 with a strong last few miles.

I had looked forward to this day for so long and desperately wanted to enjoy the whole thing but the beginning was so awful that i keep trying to work out how it all went so horribly wrong. Is it normal for nerves to have such a devastating effect? Any thoughts or advice would be great.

• Weather for Brighton tomorrow: 12 degrees and cloudy...doh!

Am I the only person who ran a faster 2nd half? (1:45:51/1:43:34). I'd like to see a results list of positions based on each half.
  • It does seem experience plays an important part in longer races and certainly in terms of PBs. Believing you can do something is half the battle. Also learning from your mistakes is invaluable. Marathon success has as much to do with your mind as your body.

I anticipated 'Marathon Blues' after Brighton so entered Edinburgh (May 22nd) and Liverpool (9/10).

• Noth London Runner

Nice to see you all again since the new event start last Year with Cool Breezes. But Last Sunday was No expections with the Heat blazing down to Brighton. I comfortable dead on my 3,.30 just before 12.30pm. Althrough the last 5miles get to me big time with the heat and no watersops near the coast.How You did?

SpeedyBrear 4H.2

Now Sub 3.30 next Year Still!

• Damian - i'm afraid i go the opposite with nerves & i normally give myself a little caffiene hand too.

I was shivering & shaking at the start - not sure whether it was nerves, because i'd got cold or the caffiene shot (i don't drink coffee or tea so i tend to get a high very easily image)

Were you walking around before the start or standing up? I took the advise that was stay off your feet when you get to the park ( at least for some of the time)