Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Tracy = goodluck in all you set yourself to do in the future.

Julia = excellent news that you have decided to run again next yearimage

Jenny = I agree with Russell sounds like youve had a touch of the post marathon blues there, I suffered after my first marathon and now ensure that I have other events planned and booked before I do the marathon, so I have something else to focus on once the marathons over. Glad to see youve entered again for next year.

Little Nemo - I may do the Windsor half in September I did it a couple of years ago and didn't do very well due to not feeling to good and the heat, so I would like to go back and improve my time there.Though I have the Three Peaks Challenge in September too, so it will depend on time.

Next race for me is the Newbury 10k. I hope everyone is recovering well.

Charlotte.

• Options
    North London Runner wrote (see)

Julia T - if you say who is to say what is a reasonable time then don't patronise people by telling them thay have an awesome time. Judge or don't judge but don't be a hypocrite

NLR - I think your quote above is offensive to JuliaT for some of us who are less able than yourself then any time is awesome, the fact of finishing is awesome, Julia was being supportive and not patronising
  • Options
    Wow, this thread has taken on a rather unnecessary tone. There is a huge difference between being patronising and being encouraging. We're not all able to churn out 3:15 marathons. For the better athletes amongst us, the challenge is to beat PB's and set even lower times. For others, the achievement is getting around the course and crossing the finish line. It doesnt make the achievement any less valid.
  • Options

Well I think it's time to say goodbye image

Thanks to everyone for their support over the last few months, it's been awesome image

Good luck to you nutters who are doing VLM on Sunday image

Good luck to everyone doing BM2012 - hope you get a cooler day! image

CD2 - there's already a thread started for the Windsor Half but it's a bit of a ghost town. If you do decide to run pop in, it'd be nice to get some company image

Until the next time! image

• Options
    Just to say - 10th 'woman' finisher, who is called 'sophie o'keeffe' is still listed as that. Even though clearly in the pics there is a guy running with her number.

A little annoying - power of 10'd her and her last marathon was last year at London in 4h30, so that'd be a massive pb.

Wonder how many other people ran with other people's numbers?!!

• Options

This thread has been exceptional during the long winter months and the weeks leading up to the marathon.

Julia T .. YOU have been one of the main reasons I have kept coming back to it.. Your ecouragement and witty musings have made me laugh..

NLR - I think you have misinterpreted what Julia was saying.. It takes a big man to apologise.. are you that man?

Lets not the thread end on a sour note.image..

WE ARE ALL MARATHONERS!image

• Options

Take the "heat" out of the last comment NLR....

"Grizzled" runners who might privately bemoan a lack of PB on sunday (and I'm one of them.!!) have no business slamming someone who is putting a v. nice comment on your efforts....save it for the clubhouse not a support forum....

• Options

Lillias, I'd ping the organisers an e-mail.  They can't be expected to look at all the photos of the finishers.

I suspect (although it's banned) people do run using other peoples numbers- its only the blatent ones (as in this case) that stand out.

• Options
    It occurred to me last night that I have not said a proper goodbye from this thread to all those of you who have shared the journey of the last year so I've just popped back to say:

THANKYOU! It was a fantastic thread to be part of. You have kept me motivated, inspired, informed, laughing and crying all year and I'm privileged to know you.

I hope to see you again on the 2012 thread if not I'm sure we'll meet again elsewhere on the forums.

Wishing all your injuries better and all your running AWESOME image

JT
  • Options

Julia you have been a star of this forum..and your continuing support for all has been a huge (virtual boost).....

Hasta luego!!  I will probably look for another challenge for autumn or a cheeky half in between...still debating going for my "home" half of st albans!!

Good luck for you guys for 2012 whatever your motivation to enter brighton again (beat this year's time, for a charity) best of luck...and hope to cross paths at another marathon (hopefully london!)

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Damian - I think many people suffer from nerves.  I certainly do.  Knees hurt, ankles hurt, muscles hurt.  The good news is that for me the nerves and niggles normally evaporate once the race starts.  You should feel proud to have fought through it.  The fact that you finished strongly suggests you can do much better another time.

I think a marathon is a lot of effort and takes a lot of preparation.  I don't know how many other races you've run, but shorter races, e.g. 10-15 miles, require much less preparation and maybe you should do a few more of them.  That should help to reduce the nerves for next time..

• Options
    Is this thread now closed? image
  • Options
    Hey, who turned out the lights?
  • Options

have a great 2012 Brighton everyone

[click]
  • Options
    Onwards and upwards - see you on the otherside xx
  • Options

Good bye thread! image 

Before everyone departs, I'd be interested if anyone wants to post their times here

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=173342&V=7&SP=

Moraghan started a thread on conversions from HM to Full marathons, and the majority of postings are from people with speedy times. Would be interesting for any conclusions to be drawn to accomodate runners from accross the spectrum. (which is not to say there aren't speedy people on this thread!, you should all post your times too as the more data the better (though only if you want to of course))

• Options

<switches lights back on for 30 seconds of fame> image

beetchawawa wrote (see)
    It's just twigged that one of the runners I cheered by name (on the out and back section over towards the power station) was "soupy" - was this the famous soup dragon?   

Beetchawawa - thanks for cheering me on.  That was me and I needed all the support I could get on that last leg.

JuliaT - yeh!  you've entered again.

See you all on the 2012 thread.

Bye for now.

• Options

Well this will b my last post.

Just want to echo thoughts of others and say thank u and well done to all. As Ive said before b very proud of what u achieved I know I am.

My plans for the rest of this running  yr are:

Fairlands valley marathon  July (off road but fun not for time)

Possibly st albans half (this is my local run, all my running club do it so feel obliged, carlo hope to c u there)

A couple of local 10k's later in yr 

Dublin Marathon 31st october 2011 (going to try for pb!!!! as flat course) another excuse for a great weekwend away.

Have a great Sping/Summer to u all. Keep up your fitness and enjoy whatever u take on next. Nicelight evenings gives more time to get out and enjoy running.

Waves to all, now who ever is last out will u please turn off all the lights!!!!

• Options

Can I just say before the lights go out that I am sooooooooooo disappointed that the times published in the Argus are gun times, not chip times - especially as the official photos/certificates show chip times.  Bah and poo image

Bye bye to all and maybe catch up with some of you on the 2012 thread image

• Options
    Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭

More on the results. Spoke to someone on the phone at BM HQ. She said the results as they appear on the BM website are all we'll get there, but that they expect Sport Systems to put up the detailed results at http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/results

I spoke to someone at Sport Systems yesterday who said no, though they provided the chips and the timing system on the day, they weren't going to publish results as BM had contracted that out to another company.

Confused? Me too

• Options
    I woke up and fancied a run today!

Dontrun Cantrun
  • Options
    The results are all up perfectly on the sports systems page - thanks for the link Tom
  • Options
    Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭
    Hurrah! Thanks for letting me know
  • Options
    Hey it's dark in here...
  • Options
    good bye all see you on the 2012 page
  • Options

Well bugger me.. HELLO ..HELLO.. Can anyone hear meimage..

Thanks to all you guys and girls.. Be proud of your achievements and I am happy to have shared the journey with you all. See you in 2012!

• Options
    Twiddles dimmer switch..