Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

There is information on the website about deferred places and we will be contacted as priority. They might go with the Brighton Postcode early bird option again too...who knows. But for now I think we have to wait for the Council's decision and stop speculating. image

I actually wonder if everyone will be quite as enthusiastic a month or two down the line...its very easy to lose motivation once everything has settled down.

I hope it all goes well for you Diane.

Good luck Traceyb...see you next year. image

Bognor 10k for me next month...whooppeeee...my first race since August. image

• Options

Hi all

I have received an e-mail from the BM teams and they say places will be available early May, so hopefully this means it is on again.

• Options

GF.....sssssshhhh image we could always run it together image

Dips.... am not as enthusiastic so maybe this means I might image

Diane... apologies for not acknowledging you hun, due to keeping a low profile on Brighton threads image Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hopefully you can look forward to doing this next year.

Personally thought it would be nice to have support aroun the power station image

• Options
    Think I'm fated not to watch that Youtube clip.  Can't view it at work and my pig of a laptop doesn't want to play it either - plays other ones of course image
  • Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Has anyone who deferred their place heard from Brighton?  I didn't even get an acknowledgement of my deferral emailimage

• Options

Wishing you a speedy recovery Diane (((((hug))))

I've managed to persuade Mr T that he'd like a trip to the seaside next year so i'm in if it goes ahead. I like the idea of being in that 'run every one' club image

Off for a little jog in the sun now, see you later image

• Options

All mad, the lot of you!

See you next year image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I might not be doing this next year but will be in Brighton for the half term hols with our caravan image
  • Options

Discarded Start Line Clothing

Morning all.

Just to give you an advance heads up, the Worthing Churches Homeless Project who collected all of the discarded start line clothing (65 sacks full!) have washed it all and it will be going on sale in their shop tomorrow (Saturday 24th). Apparently there is a lot of running / sports related gear and from what I saw as I ran past, some of it is very good, so if you want to "update" your wardrobe and bag a bargain whilst helping a very worthwhile organisation then get on down to;

The Worthing Churches Homeless Projects Charity Shop

117 Montague Street

Worthing

BN11 3BP

They are open 6 days per week from 9.30am to 4.30pm.

Have a look at their web-site at: www.wchp.org to see the good causes they support and if you fancy trying something different, they have a sponsored "Zorb" coming up on the Downs here in Brighton.

Mark

• Options

I thought these clothes were being used to clothe the homeless, I didn't realise they'd be sold to raise funds.

I left a nice warm Addidas hoodie cause I thought it might keep some poor sod warm at night. If I'd known they wanted stuff to flog I'd have left them a nice little Prada number

• Options

Brighton Rocks - I also thought they were going to give the clothes to the homeless, anyway hopefully the clothes will go to a good home and the homeless will benefit

• Options

Hi all

Well got there in the end did a nice slow 5 miles to day

I was jogging along and suddenly realised how much i miss running and its only 4 day’s somehow felt clean again daft isn’t will see if i still feel the same in a month’s time

Mind you it might have been a different story had it been chucking it down with rain

I am due to run the Bristol 10k with the O/H and the daughter but due to having a major operation at the end of last year and pressure of work the O/H  is now not shore if she will be fit enough

And if the daughter university work gets heavy i may be there on my own

if this happens i my well see if i can knock some time of my P/B which stands officially at 52 minutes unofficially when i did the Bath half last year according to my watch i got to the 10k mark at 46 minutes but due to having to run through the gate twice last year to let an ambulance through it was never officially confirmed

• Options

Toby3 - well done on your run I did 3.5 miles this morning nice and slow, and like you it did feel great to be running again, out for a very slow jog with the wife and kids when I get home about a mile, we have a fun run a week on sunday only 3K, but my kids are 8 and 4.

have a great weekend all.

• Options

Many of the items collected by the Worthing Churches Homeless Charity are sold to provide much needed funds to help the homeless in the area. Those not sold are given to the homeless to provide the warmth that Brighton Rocks refers to above.

At any one time the charity provides shelter for over 50 people providing warmth, food and shelter, all of which needs funding via the kind donations of others.

For more details of the valuable service provided by this charity please see their web-site; www.wchp.org

Brighton Rocks wrote (see)
    I left a nice warm Addidas hoodie cause I thought it might keep some poor sod warm at night. If I'd known they wanted stuff to flog I'd have left them a nice little Prada number

I am sure they will be more than happy with your Prada clothes to sell to others to raise funds to benefit the homeless.

Mark

P.S. I am nothing to do with this charity, I just happen to know someone who is and understand their aims and objectives.

• Options

Hello again Toby image

Dad the fun run sounds like it'll be great, Was it you who has already raced with your tiddlywinks and was looking for races and opinions on ages? So many threads, so many pages.......!

• Options

OMG thought it really could not get any worse but after a very painful night I went to physio today to be told pelvis was out again to have be put back together ...OUCH!!!!!  Also told by pelvis expert that after seeing my xray they are suprised I can walk and if it contiues to "pop out" the options may be "living with it and no exercise" or an "operation" .  Now been given a belt to wear to hold my pelvis in place...very attractive..NOT!!

After a few tears I am still trying to remain positive...I will run next years marathan!!!!!

Considering running  for Pelvis Dysfunction charity image

Funny thing is the pain I can get through but the pain of NOT running is far worse!!! 

• Options
    Diane- I'm so sorry sounds as though you are really going through a tough time at the moment, I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    I can't run for a few weeks due to a minor surgical procedure I had to have done this week. They wanted to do it months ago but I didn't want to interupt marathon training so Ive been putting it off

Feels weird to be so inactive. Bad cramps, but worse still bad moods. Miss those endorphins.......

Don't know why I share this info really, funny isn't it. I've never done message boards before I started marathon training, I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or any of that stuff, but it's good isn't to share your thoughts with like minded people on here. It's a pretty weird obsession running isn't it.... Not sure most people "get it". So this things good......

Hmmmm..... Anyway......

• Options

Brighton Rocks... Totally understand where you are coming from!!  but hold on to the memory of your marathon and this will get you through your recovery.  Time will go quickly and you will be back runing soon!!image

We have lovely weather due, so sit out in the sun and relax with a good book and a glass of wine..helps me!image 

• Options
    Diane what I meant to say (but lost my train of thought and didn't) is that I feel what you mean when you say the pain of the pelvis you can take but it's the pain of not running that really hurts

keep strong, you will get through it, we are strong people, there aren't too many people that can do what we do. Face it, look it in the eye, sneer at it and then beat it!

Grrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Thanks Diane, I am planning a day of vegetable planting tomorrow with my kids and then Im looking forward to a rare lie in on Sunday morning..... No long run..... Kind of happy about that, kind of sad....

BUT, not training means I can sit here tonight with a large glass of whiskey watching Jools Holland whilst posting with my iPhone..... Every cloud......
  • Options

LOL..Brighton Rocks...like you said "every cloud"  and my silver lining is a large white wine spitser reading a good book in the sunimage

And if the phsyio said she surpried I'm still walking thinks how surprised she will be when I run 26.2 miles next yearimage

• Options

My local paper had features on local runners in today's paper and reports that the organisers hope to DOUBLE the entries for next year.  Don't think so methinks.

Oh yes, HI EVERYONEimage

• Options
    Hmmmmm..... Well... 7000 this year didn't sound much, so 14000 would seem reasonable in principle, but then again.....

I thought the start was pretty crowded on Sunday but elsewhere I thought it was OK.... Double...... I don't know.......
  • Options
    By your local paper do you mean the Argus or Leader?
  • Options
    Hmmmmm..... Well... 7000 this year didn't sound much, so 14000 would seem reasonable in principle, but then again.....

I thought the start was pretty crowded on Sunday but elsewhere I thought it was OK.... Double...... I don't know.......
  • Options

Hi Green Fairy.. Hopefully double the amount means double the amount of fundraising for worthwhile charitiesimage   It would be really interesting to find out how much charities benefited from the Brighton Marathon this year.  I know my friend raised over £550 for the Stroke Association this year!!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    If you are thinking of doing this next year you better plan which hotel you are going to stay in and book it up early.
  • Options

I think with the narrow and therefore very staggered start, it didn't really feel that crowded. So if they were to double the numbers it could still work but it would mean the back runners could take as much as 30 minutes to cross the line.............but that would cause the natural time stagger needed???

Agree with TraceyG on the hotel bookings though!!!!image

• Options
    I started right at the back this year and it was a pain in the ass! By the time we were even on the same side of the park as the start, the rest of the field had already done the outside lap of the park and were off down the London Road, while we were all still stood there chomping at the bit. I think with the delayed start it was 9.30 before we crossed the start line. I'm not complaining, with so many people it has to be that way, but if you double the numbers I think you need to double the width of the start, not the length of the queue