Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• no twinges today without the bandages, so will try a little jog/run tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • Rubbish run today, wanted to do 18 but only managed 14. I ran out of water and was gasping, i really think the hotter weather disagrees with me for running - roll on all the winter training for Brighton image

Charlotte glad to hear you're feeling so much better, we wouldn't dream of saying 'told you so' image

SR 1.11!image WOW The warmer weather is deffo a big factor. I thought of you today when i was struggling at 14 and the way you 'rattle off' 25 milers !

UI fingers crossed for your little jog.

Waves to everyone else

• Had 10 miles the beach this morning in 1:40. Was pleasant out there today and was watching some jet ski event going on in the sea. Only two weeks now until next marathon so time to for me to start holding back on the training.
  • Julia - Well done on your long run. You have come a long way since you started running.

I  watch the Brighton Marathon video yesterday and started getting excited.

• Well it's marathon time again for me.....with a 9:30 start in the morning of the Kent Coastal Marathon. The weather is looking good, the carbo-loading is done....now just to hope and pray that the slightly dodgy knee which has been troubling me for the last 3 weeks behaves itself. I couldn't have rested it anymore and still stayed fit. A gentle 4 miler on Thursday was quite encouraging....so we'll see. Thanx to all those who wished me good luck!!

Toby....Hope your race goes well too....I shall give you a thought as I run tomorrow. Hoping your ankle behaves itself too.

mummymunch & JuliaT....Lovely to "see" you on here again too.

DianeDowd........Well ......waiting in great anticipation for your news. I do so hope you are able to get back to running again. You deserve a medal for your patience and perservrance! 

• 2btiny - good luck with your marathon tomorrow. If you can give Cinders a hug from me, she is at the top of the hill. My very first Kent half was 28c and it makes a difference as there are jet ski in the sea and people on the breach to take your mind of the pain.
  • Hi All image

Back from a very sunny week in Wales where we did beach runs, trail runs and walked a very scary 5m coastal walk close to a cliff edge! 3hrs to walk it out, I got the train back image OH ran it back in 1hrs 15! Biggest achievement was climbing Mount Snowdon with OH and 16yr old son!

Tim! Well done! What a fab time!

Thanks Spen! I was three episodes behind then downloaded them all for my hols and saw the mention on the show notes! image He's a good kid.. am so proud.. as I'm sure he is of me in a wierd kind of 16 yr old son kinda way image

Mummymunch, nice to see youimage

2btiny, have a great day tomorrow!

Wotcha Diane! Great to see you back! Still take it slowly though, don't rush in.. but I'm sure you know that image

Julia T! Same.. sandblasted, windy first day.. was great resistance training! Although only did 3 runs in the week around 20miles.. around 21-25degress. Funny when that used to be a big mileage week. hope you had a great time. Proud mother too! Will drop you an email once I've worked through the mounds of washing, sorted post and bills, made dinner, done my brick training tomorrow... blah blah image Let me know how she did.

UI and Toby, wishing you good recoveries.

Hi everyone else image

• Me again image

Haven't done a half marathon due to injuries and tri training this year.. so this one caught my eye ..

https://www.bhf.org.uk/events_and_volunteering/events/event_finder/view_event.aspx?ps=1000888

British Heart Foundation... half marathon.. Brighton...30 Oct 10.. starts midnight! Run through the clock change.. what a way to knock an hour off my 2.38 pb!! Me and OH have signed up.. only 300 places image

• Been on the red wine so apalogies for any spelling mistakes tonight. 

Sounds like you had a nice run today SR, where is your first marathon? By the way have you had the IOW pack yet, and how is yyour toe?

TG i ordered, (and got) the dvd from this years maragthon, with pics at th end, and it makes me sob whenever i watch it! You are right, i have progressed, i remember you answering my posts right from when i first started running, thank you for all your encouragement image

2btiny i expect i am too late for you to see this before tomorrw but i wish you a lovely race tomorrow, fingers crossed for your knee, we're looking forward to your race report.  Are we nuts to put ourselves through such long diastances i wonder? what makes us do it? i thinkk for me it's beacause i can and i didn't think i could.

Welcome back TB, wow well done for getting up snowdon, that's something i still haven't done. it's on the list. i will follow your link in a mo. Daughter got 2 A*, 2 A, and loads of B's, more than enough to go to SEC , so all signed up and she can't wait to go now. Hope H did well too, will have to get to FB and get in touch there.

Right off to watch the lovely music coming from the tv bbc proms of some sort, and there may be more wine,,,,,,,

didn't go out today, lots of cooking tommorrow for stepdauhter 18th so may not get out tomorrow either....

• Hey p1sshead image Julia.. follow the link.. let me know if you'd like to join me/us! It's the 'dark country lanes' that makes me nervous by myself though! H got 1 A, 5 Bs and 5 Cs and starts Seevic tomorrow. Well done to daughter! Hope you're head's ok image

Off for a 20m bike ride with OH apparently, then run.

Happy Sunday all.

• Julia T: no I have not received my IOW race pack yet, but still plenty of time. My next marathon is Farnham Pilgrim in 2 weeks today. Thanks for asking, but my ingrowing toenail feels fine. It is not causing me any discomfort. Just waiting for an appointment to have it removed, then from what I have been told will have to have a couple of weeks without running. But hopefully this will be in between the  race's I have coming up through autumn.

Sounds like there is a few out there racing today. How did you get on???

• Tracy - hope you enjoyed your bike ride today.  We did the Sky Ride in London today, we did 3 loops of 15k.image Andre longest every bike ride and a year since he learnt to ride his bikeimage

• Hi all

Same about the weather though at least it stopped raining for the majority of the race and the cooler weather made it nice to run in

Sat on the settee at the moment legs stiffing up nicely used my new stopwatch today for the first time and completely mess up so i had no idler what time i had done figured it was just over 2hrs

i have just checked the Bristol H/M web site and turns out to be 2:01:28 which is only about 4 minutes slower than last year which considering i pick up this damn injury which meant the training hasn’t been any were  near where it should have been i am well pleased

Had some good news the wages the O/H was owed and she had to claim from the government insurance scheme was paid into are account on Friday so Monday i am off to the physiotherapist

Tracy B glad to hear that everything is going well for you and quite frankly even when i didn’t have this injury your training put me to shame

2betiny i hope your race goes well

good luck everyone else with your training and may all your injuries heal

• Well done Toby3 - a great time considering.

2btiny-hope all went well for you.

2btiny and TracyB - thanks its good to be back.

I went on my first group run since the marathon and it was good to be back - only 6 of us today and we set off from Devils Dyke - a lot of cross country running which I havent done in yonks either - pace at times faster than I have been running recently but that is a good thing as it pushes me harder. Had to struggle up the most mahoosive hill on the homeward journey but was met at the top of it by my dog who came charging towards me!!

Back to work tomorrow and hopefully back into a routine - going to have a gym review done as well.

Happy running, cycling or whatever it is you are doing!!
  • mummymuch - Devils Dyke, sounds hard work. Well done you image

Toby - I call todays time a good result image You are one of the lucky ones to have a chip time, so even more lucky image

• Good racing Toby, a fuller reply over on the Gulp threadle.

TB I am still a tad drunk i am afraid but had to have a couple to make sure the cooking all went smoothly today. Well done on the fantastic results, hope all goes well tomorrw. My girl starts thursday. Dark country lanes sound dodgy to me but it does look good i'll grant you that one!

Well done on the biking TG and to your boy imageimage

Glad the toe is behaving SR. Gues you are starting your tapering now.

MM sounds like you had a lassie moment at the top of the hill! Glad you are getting on ok.

right off tocarry on washing up...

• Hi all! Did a 10k race today as part of my half marathon training schedule. Was aiming for 55 mins and got 55.55, but it was pretty hilly so I'm pleased with overall. And it's a PB, so I can't complain.

Excellent result toby3! image
  • Hello all, 

thinking about entering the Brighton Marathon and wondered how likely it is to get a place through a charity? Do they usually say yes and have i left it too late for entry? 

• nicki - you probably get a charity place still.

http://brightonmarathon.co.uk/charity.html

I looked at the Guide Dog charity entry. It is £500 with a £40 deposit.

=1]http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/helpus/events/running/event/brighton-marathon-2010/?ne_gdba_events[iRegular]=1

• Morning all

I am paying for my run now could hardly walk on my leg tonight at work so the sooner i get to the physio the better

Tracey G apparently about 900 people lost their timing chip we were only given a paper tie to hold them on with and the speculation is that the wet weather caused them to come unglued even some of the elite runs lost their timing chips as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-11191700
  • Morning all

Toby - I read the about in on the BBC and Fetch. Not very good and I really feel sorry for the runners that pb'd and got no official time.

• Toby3 - glad your race went well.

Nicki - it would be worth contacting the charities, i am sure some of them still have places left.

looks like everyone else is getting some good training in, keep up the good work all

• Afternoon all

Just back from the physio apparently it called meralqia peraesttetica or to in terms i could understand i have a nerve entrapped in the TFL (TensorFascia Lata) also the muscle is weak in the right hip i have been given some exercises to start and told not to run this week

organizers are using the race videos to make shore everybody get there
  • That is terrible about racers not getting a chip time at Bristol. You would have thought they would have used a material to attach the chip that is waterproof. If they have videoed the finish then at least they can sort it out that way, but will be a fun job for someone to watch that film!

Gym session for me today. Only a couple of weeks now then the gym I use is having a re-fit. All the machines are being replaced and new one's brought in as well. They all ready got a couple of machines at the entrance on show, one of them is a cycle machine that has a tv screen on the front of the bike, and from what I could see of the demo playing you get to race a virtual partner over different terrains. Looks like an arcade game to be honest. Just hope they get the new treadmills with this tv monitor. Would be good fun racing a virtual partner!

• Toby3 - at least you have an answer and a name for your problem now - makes it easier to sort it out I think - good luck with the exercises.

Solent Runner - the gym I use was refitted a few years ago and it was really good to get up to date machines - shame they cant keep doing it. Our treadmills have a tv screen but no virtual training - only rubbish tv!

I went to the gym today to get a new programme and have signed up for a free taster session with a personal trainer tomorrow - then the company are offering 3 half hour sessions as a stater pack for 15.00 - thought that's definitely got to be worth it!

Looks like the weather isn't gong to be so good over the next few days - so hope you don't all get to wet!
  • Lovely 9 miles done this morning, seems like my grape carb loading did the trick image

Fab racing Beet, well done image

Nicki, ditto TG, i reckon there will still be places. Let us know how you get on image

Toby wishing you a speedy recovery (((((((((hug)))))))) - i've met you so i can do that i think?

SR I have a stickman to race on my Garmin but it takes a bit of setting up so i just try and catch Mr T now image

Waves to Dad

MM the personal training sounds like a bargain. Wet on and off here - nightmare getting the washing dry!

• Good morning, 3 today.

Forgot to say, when i was coming to the end of yesterdays run my i-pod started playing FatBoy Slim, Right Here Right Now.....................brought a lump to my throat!

Hope you are all well image

• juliaT - good morning glad you are keeping well, and your daughter got good results. Whenever i hear fatboyslim I always think of marathon, as I passed him at about mile 24 and had a quick chat as best as you can chat after 24 miles.

I have got my first half marathon on 19th Sept, it is through work we are entering a team of 6 and I think I am more worried about this than I was Brighton, I suppose it is because it is to do with work.

grape carb loading sounds appealing, is this your new marathon training strategy ??

Good luck to everyone else, take care

• Hi all - now that I'm starting to do long runs of 10 miles +, together with 3 runs in the week, I've noticed that my poor toenails are getting sore.  At what point are they likely to turn black and drop off and is there anything I can do to prevent this? 

• beetchawawa....YEP!!! Get bigger shoes. Your trainers should be a size or so more than you normally wear so your toes don't hit the front of your shoe when running. Have 2 friends who both lost toenails in the Spring marathons....both have bigger shoes half to full size bigger.........problem sorted! I wear a size 3 shoe normally but run in size 5's....never had a toenail problem ever through training and 2 marathons now. 

Well the news on my marathon on Sunday....sorry it's taken me awhile to report back!!! Thanx for all those good wishes too. My knee behaved way better than I expected and although sore at times was bearable with tablets! Was just agony anytime I stopped and had to re-start again. Sadly although I truly believed I could beat my PB from Brighton it wasn't to be! Unfortunately in all the patches where I was going strong..........11-18 miles in particular was when my team mates I was running with where battling.....Just at the point where I was considering going on my own, one of them started  vomitting. Then myself and other friend felt we needed to stay with her.  Eventually we did end up leaving her after a second bout of vomitting but with promises that she would stop at the next marshal point where her husband was waiting for her if she still wasn't coping. Then for me I struggled with a good deal of the way back from around 20 miles.........a few good patches.....but the last 3 miles where HELL. The wind was a killer draining away all my energy! Anyway I completed it in 4:51:47. My sick team mate completed the race incredibly bravely and as a result 3 of us won the Ladies 3rd team prizes!!!! Which was a lovely surprise ofter the deep disappointment that I missed my PB by a little more than 1 minute!!!!  I am still proud of my achievement. Two marathons in 4 1/2 months for a novice veteran is not to be sniffed at!!!!
    I ached all over.....but not as bad as Brighton......on Monday, I was much better by Tuesday and even managed 60 lengths in the pool. I shall hold off running till Fri/Sat....even though I feel up for a run again. Then the preparation for a PB attempt at Great Eastern Run (Half Mara) on 10/10 followed by Maidstone Half the weekend after.
    I am so pleased to report that my recovery after my second marathon is going so much better than last time!!!! I am almost understanding why the serial marathoners do this if recovery time improves the more you do it.  Today I honestly feel no worse than I've felt after a hilly Half Mara.