Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Morning all

going swimming on Saturday we were sent some free vouchers by the gas board as a promotion we went last Saturday but must admit i did not do a lot of swimming just sat in the spar pool and relaxed ready for Sunday

• Options

2btiny - what a great effort in very difficult circumstances.  I think you just have to forget about PBs on the days where everything goes against you and give yourself a large pat on the back for getting round.  That said, you were within spitting distance of your PB in the end, so you know you'll smash it next time!  Well done. 

Re sore toes - My shoes are a 6 and I'm usually a 4 1/2 so I don't think I can go any bigger without looking like a clown!

• Options

beetchawawa.......... What brand of running shoe do you wear?? I know that Asics do come up a bit smaller. I have some ascis which I have have a 5 1/2.....on my size 3 foot.....becos of this. The 5's were just too small to have room at the end!! So actually have shoes 2 1/2 sizes bigger!! I do know what you mean by clown feet though! I certainly couldn't go any bigger. Don't really know what else to suggest??? Thanx for the words of encouragement. Have come to terms with my failure to PB......it was a very challenging race with a lot of my fellow club runners not achieving what they'd hoped for. Hot sunshine in the quite hilly first half, a stiff breeze for the last 6 miles home and injuries seem to have been the ruin of way better runners than myself!!! Moving on, lessons learnt .....Brighton here we come!

• Options

2btiny - well done a fanstastic effort and a trophy as well, just think you have completed 2 marathons this year, and good luck at GER I am also doing that.

Beetchawawa - if you have bigger shoes as 2btiny says, are they too big have you had them checked at a shop, and do they suit your running gait, also your socks they may not be suitable, good luck in finding answer. I have lost two nails, one in Brighton last year and the second this year when the new trainers I brought just did not suit me, they were not supportive enough.

Take care to everyone else

• Options

Thanks for the tips - yes my current pair are Asics so maybe I need to go even bigger.  I did go for proper gait analysis (a real eye-opener as I overpronate massively). 

I've had these shoes quite a while (yes I know I should buy new ones regularly but I'm trying to be green in 2010 and have set myself a target not to buy anything new) but since this problem has only reared it's head once I started doing 10 miles + I'm inclined to think it's not the shoes and maybe I'm just prone to this.  The weird thing is that I did martial arts for years and my feet took an absolute battering, so I expected them to be able to withstand a little bit of running! 

• Options

2btiny well done!! How fantastic to be placed 3 rd ladies team imageimageimageimage and you know you would have PB'd if you hadn't been a very generous friend image

Beetchawawa my shoes are large enough but i have still had black toenails. Can you press a whole thumb between the end of your big toe and the end of your shoe? The toenails are going back because they are banging for whatever reason but as i never really get any pain (even when they fall off) and cannot feel anything whilst running i am ignoring it. Although since having new shoes fingers crossed mine are still ok.......

Shoes are meant to last between 300-500 miles. Oh and if it helps i also remember the shop person saying that when you get over HM distance and head up to 16+ ish miles your feet swell up even more and you then need marathon fit shoes image which puts me into 8.5 size eeek

Dad I suspect that it's the pressure of work colleagues, they will be expecting big things from you as a marathoner image (and the grape loading comes highly recommended)

• Options

JuliaT - I think that is it the pressure from work colleagues, and most are younger than me or the older one is a more proficient runner, we have entered teams for the HM and 10K, but someone has pulled out of the 10K yesterday and I have to try and find soemone else to take his place, abit short notice for 19th September (what are you doing ??image).

My training has gone well this week, I have tried to train on tired legs to see how it goes and each morning this week so 4 mornings, I have run a route of 6.85 miles, and maintained and average pace on all of the four runs of 8.55 - 9.15m/m, so quite pleased. I am having tomorrow morning off and then a long run Sat morning of 14 miles.

The other reason for trying the running on tired legs is that I am looking at Grimsthorpe Ultra 70 next year, and want to start training towards that within my training for Brighton next year.

I find my trainers only last about 400 miles but I am just under 14 stone so not the lightest on my feet, so I have to go through about 3 pairs a year.

Take care all

• Options

Just been busy down the gym this week. Plan a 10 mile run along the beach tomorrow, before putting my feet up and having a weekend of no exercise. Will take it very easy next week before the marathons start.

Julia T: I got my Isle Of Wight race number through today. Have you had yours? not long now.

• Options

Well as it happens Dad I have a blank page for the 19th September however I'm pretty sure that a 10k in the region of 65 mins (on the flat) would drag the team down horribly and I suspect that the race is a long way from Essex.......

SR no number as yet but i did take delivery of fluorescent pink socks and new shorts which i hope to wear on race day, test run tomorrow permitting of course. I plan to be quite pink on the day so that I do not get hit by wayward motorists, see and be seen and all that! I see you have started a thread, I will pop over in a tic.

20 miles planned for tomorrow, last long run then let the taper begin, although whether an attempt on a 5K PB on sunday counts as tapering i do not know!

Sorry about all the words today, been filling in a job application and have gone all clever image

• Options

Morning all

Must admit i am getting itchy feet at the moment and its only been5 days what it’s going to be like if on Monday the phyiso tell me to lay off running again

I feel like a bit of a fraud at the moment posting on here as i am not running at the moment what with reading about all these wonderful runs going on

Julia T i am full of admiration well done for getting there i hope the I.O.W. marathon goes well i can only sit here and ponder on what might of been  though i haven’t given upon the hope i will still be able to run the Leicester half in October

S/R good luck to you also

Spen i hope you find someone to fill the spot and good luck with the training towards the ultra my hat goes off to you

• Options

Toby3 - you are no fraud and good luck for Monday fingers crossed all will go well with physio and you can get back out there, and do the Leicester HM. I am sue somehow i will find someone to fill the place, they even get a free company T shirt, worth about £3.50, how much more tempting can it be. I have not entered the ultra yet as it is not open yet, but it is something I need to have a go at finish or not.

JuliaT - good luck for your 20 miler today it seems ages ago that I did a 20 miler, well I think it was 18th April, but I am sure I will be up to doing them again early in the new year ready for Brighton.

SR - good luck in your prep for the marathons.

Good luck to all take care and enjoy your running this weekend, 14 mile "fun" run tomorrow for me.

• Options
    I too am still not running but I did try a jog/walk in the woods yesterday with my dogs and so far no ill effects. May do a little bit more tomorrow but I'm hesitant about re-injuring my calf in case the muscle is not totally healed yet. I'll just go really easily.
  • Options

2btiny - great effort on the marathon

beetchawawa - I run in Saucony's but have one black toe nail, lot's of friends recommend mizuno's for marathons.

managed an hour a quarter last sunday, will try hour and a half this sunday then off to see the surgeon again on Monday, then the Great North Run next sunday

have a good running w/e one and all

• Options

UI - hope the calf continues to get better and better.

PP - good luck next week in GNR, I am running a local HM at the same time.

good running all

• Options
    aye up folks

got back last night from a week in Ireland taking in the Dingle marathon last Saturday. it's about the furthest west in Europe you can go and is a stunning part of the world and the marathon is probably the most scenic one you can do anywhere - it's just beautiful. not the toughest around although it does have some testing upflats and one bitch of a climb.

up to 1/2 way I was going fine but the wheels came off when I went past the spot where the 1/2 marathon finished (the 1/2 runners get bussed back as it's a circular marathon route) - maybe it was psychological knowing that I was only 1/2 way and people were peeling off to finish the 1/2, but I went off big time until the top of the big climb at around mile 22 when I found my legs again - it was downhill to the finish which helped as well. when the 4:30 pacer went past at about mile 18 I knew I was not having a good day - so a PW road marathon with 4:41 although I was kind of hoping for 4:15'ish.

I think to be fair to me and Petal (she started the marathon but pulled out at 1/2 way feeling very slow and knackered) we both had the Outlaw ironman still in our legs even though that was 4 weeks earlier - perhaps we were just too ambitious for this one.

but if anyone wants to do a cracking scenic run in a beautiful part of the world, I'd urge them to take this one in. there's a choice of the 1/2, marathon and a 50 mile ultra.

the downside is getting to Dingle - it's a long way from anywhere!

right - no 19 next - Beachy Head
  • Options

fat budha: that Dingle marathon sounds a nice place to be running. But I fear it is a little far a away for me though. Shame the pace was not there, but always Beachy head.

Went out this morning for 10 miles along the beach path, which took me 1:13. Quite pleased with this as did not feel like going out running, but after a few miles I found my stride. Will be taking it easy this weekend to get some rest for next weeks Farnham Pilgrim marathon and the two marathons the 2 weeks after that as well.

Just entered 3 more races too. Stubbington 10k, Portsmouth Coastal half and the Meon Valley Plod, which is a 20 mile trail. All these are early next year, so should keep me busy through winter.

• Options
    fb - great effort. I'll have to google it, sounds reasonably challenging especially after your recent efforts
  • Options

2btiny! Well done! Fantastic effort and the circumstances sound harder than Brighton! Soooo proud of you

Julia T, sounds like your training is going great! Is it easier 2nd time around? I'm currently trying to fit in the long runs. Job hunting?

UI really hope you recover soon.

PeterPan, I have Mizunos (over pronator), and I hate them... just so much money to get another pair just cos I don't like them.

Spen. You sound so busy with your ultras! Have you thought of trying a tri?

Toby, you should keep posting! You'll never catch with everything otherwise..

FB, well done even though you are disappointed! Think I'll consider the ultra image

Blackwater Sprint Tri Sunday (first sprint!), then trying to schedule the runs for a sub-60 at Southend 10k, including LSRs for Brighton White Night Half Mara end October. I just can't fit it all in!

• Options
    fat buddha - see you at Beachy in 6 weeks, I expect a hug like the one I got last year image Hubby wondered why I had stopped lol.
  • Options

Hi Guys, just wondered if I could join the Brighton train. Entered ages ago knowing it would fill up… and it has. Posted a couple of times before on here, but drifted off for some reason? Been chatting with Toby 3 (Hi Toby, hope you are back running next week mate) on the Leicester marathon thread and he's been a trooper keeping that one going. It's a bit quiet there so I thought I"d jump on here as well.

Doing the Half Marathon in Leicester in October, then it's a few weeks of relaxed running taking it a bit more easy. Then November/December a bit of base building (make mental note to google base building). Then 16 week plan for Brighton.

Here we go choo choo!

Edited to add…

2btiny - read back a few pages and you did really well in your marathon. I think it's probably harder stopping like you did to look after your friend and then to carry on running. It's lucky your legs/mussles didn't cramp. 1 minute off your PB is good going considering what you ghad todo in the race.

• Options

Well done everyone, lots of good running (training and races).

FB - Running a marathon shortly after an Ironman Tri, that takes some doing in my book.

Toby3 - Hope you get good news from the physio.

SR - How many marathons in how many weeks? Makes me tired just thinking about the training and races you do.

Did a good 10 miler this morning, thought it was going to rain but didn't thankfully, although I'm sure running in the wind and rain will become common  place over the next few months.

Having a few problems with my Garmin Forerunner 205 as it's turned itself off a couple of times in the middle of runs over the last few weeks. Read on some forums that you need to wipe the back, especially around the metal contacts, after each run to avoid sweat etc messing it up. I've been doing that now but still had a "failure" on Thursday. Garmin tech support said reset it and give the battery a full charge, been OK since but I'll just have to see how it goes in the future.

Good running everyone!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Evening all 

Hope all the training is going well fingers cross for Monday or hoping he may be able to suggest a suitable train plan to get me through the Leicester H/F

Last week of driving instructing next week as it has become unviable to carry on

Running Again hope you don’t have any more trouble with your Garmin

K/R welcome your find it a bit more lively on here it was a shame about the Leicester thread apart from you me and Martin it never really got going

• Options
    Toby shame about the Leicester marathon, but good they have allowed you to run the half instead. Hope you heal soon!

JuliaT good to see you back from your hols. Well done on your 20miles.

Good luck for next weekend Spen. The pressure is on to beat your work mates image

KnightRider. Welcome to the thread!

Running Again. I thought about investing in a Garmin but recently bought an iPhone4. However its a little fragile to take running / cycling so may still invest. Keep me posted on any faults.

Everyone else, hello and good running all. Phew...

Not a huge amount of running for me over the past few weeks, apart from a couple of 7-8miles during the week. Been back on the bike and spent last weekend up the Peaks mountain biking. Good to get back off road after spending most of summer on the road bike.

An easy fifty miles on the road bike today, still managed low 20mph average by myself with a killer wind on the way back. Hopefully will get out for a 10 mile run tomorrow if the weather is kind.

• Options

Fab time at Blackwater Tri today 400m/23k/6k.

Dodgy on the swim where the frontcrawler I let pass me, went out too fast and slowed down after he overtook image, and I was swimming breastroke on his tail! I kept hanging back to let him get ahead, but I was worried if I overtook he would be on my tail then I'd panic! Performed better than I thought and really enjoyed the course. Expected to be around 2hrs 15 but waiting for results and hoping I got in sub-2hrs. The run I was aiming for 11mmp and being content, but got 10.17mmp image Def improving as part of BRC! One I'd recommend for next year image

• Options

TracyB well done sounds like you had a really good time

• Options

Running Again: hope you have the Garmin issue resolved. For the money you pay for these devices, problems are unwelcome!

Toby: how long you got until Leicester half marathon? Is there no improvement yet with your injury? you have had it a while now. Hope physio can help.

Tracy B: well done on your tri. I hope you get the time you think you have.

*tim* sounds like you enjoy your bike riding.

Well it has been a weekend off training for me. Have been sat around watching tele and drinking beer! Will just be taking things easy next week to keep myself ticking over before racing begins.

• Options

S/R Yes i have had it for a while and did indeed go to the doctors back last year and was told that it was all too with the back problem i have which they kept putting down to wear and tear but has got worse over the last 9 month with all the training towards Brighton and Leicester

It got to the point about a month ago were i knew i had to do something about it as running was becoming more and more of a problem then the wife got made redundant and money became a problem but now are thing are easier in that department so really i have only just sort the help of a professional

So really it’s my own fault it’s gone on so long  Leicester is about 4 weeks so am hoping still to Leicester and that the physio can suggest a training plan to get me through the Leicester H/M

• Options
    toby: oh dear, I did not realise it was a reoccurring problem. I hope the physio can help tomorrow and you are able to find a way to complete Leicester.
  • Options

Thanks Toby and SR! Crashed out on the sofa when I didn't even realise I was tired!

Toby, hope your back holds out of Leicester HM (((image)))

• Options
    Lovely morning for a run today: 12.2miles in 1.44 ankles hurt, going to give them a rest so that's me done for the week until next Sundays Great North Run!