Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Tracy - Well done image

Did a 28 mile family bike ride. Tracy it included riding up Hog Hill image

• Still not running as such, but I did a 50km bike ride today as part of a local tour, it was great fun and my calf  muscle didn't bother me a bit, Huge event, nearly 3000 people took part, they had 7 different tour routes and 12 control stations, free refreshments and a tee-shirt all for 5 euros. Brilliant day. Got talking to lots of strangers around the course and had a really nice time. My OH as usual took off ahead as he does everything like he's racing, joined up with 5 other fast guys and they completely missed the signs, going off course and missing the station where the tee-shirts were given out! I rode at my own pace.  Tortoise and hare fable springs to mind.

I'm on the comeback trail!     image

• FB - see you in Brighton! That'll be my 44th marathon.
  • Good evening everyone, i've got too left behind for individual replies i'm afraid but i've read everything and i still care!!

But TB well done on your fantastic race!!!!!

and (((hugs)))) for all the injuries and image for all the fantastic running which has been going on.

Afraid i never did 20 in the end, gave up at 14 due to boredom, i got fed up of factories and housing estates image i had a bad mindset from the start and also didn't plan my hydration or nutrition for the day so had awkward wee stop issues but hey-ho it happens! Will try one more long one in the week then the taper begins.

BUT i did a 5K race today and averaged 9.41 mm pace image Didn't quite smash 30 mins as the race was 5.16K long and working it out on k/m pace (changing the units on the garmin) i was 3 secs per kilometer too slow but i am very happy, it was a great race and the quickest/best 5k i've done.

The last few hundred meters were round a track and as i came into the stadium the were 4 very tall fit athletic men just ahead of me. I thought of Mo Farrah - this to win the gold medal - and caught them, found a gap on the inside which i managed to snick through, and then out sprinted them all to the line with Mo in my head. I mean, they may not have been trying but WOW what a buzz i got from that!!!!

• Well done Julia T! Great time  for your 5k image ! Your training is going fab. Terrific finish too! How are your long runs comparing with previous Brighton training?

OH's just signed up for Jurassic Coast 3maras, 3 days, and coastle (obviously) and scary looking! Man.. I'm gonna worry about him and miss him image

• Tracey - not thought of tri as my swimming would not be quick enough. The throught of an ultra is more of a challenge to me at the moment, that is why looking at doing one next year.

juliaT well done on your 5K

Take care all

• C&I Dad -  most people who haven't done a triathlon say it's because they can't swim, or can't swim very well. I can swim for miles but I am slow, however it doesn't matter because the swim bit of any tri is a relatively small percentage of the total distance. For instance, an Ironman triathlon is 80% cycling, 18% running and only 2% swimming. An Olympic distance tri of 1500m swim/40km bike/10km run is 78% cycling, 19% running and 3% swimming. The RW Pirates training mantra  is swim a bit, run a bit, bike a lot. It works.
  • UI - thanks for that good advice, and I think I would enjoy it, but for finances (it seems quite expensive) and maintaining the support of my family (read wife) Ineed to only take on one new challenge a year, and as less than 2 years ago i did not really run, this year was the marathon, next year Brighton again and then an ultra possibly Grimthrope, and who know the year after ??

Got my first HM on Sunday, the work one I had referred to in earlier comments, and I am getting really nervous about it, I know i can do the distance, i have run the course many times as it was part of training routes for the marathon, how silly is that getting nervous.

Take care all

• Hi TraceyG and thanks image What a lovely family bike ride.. bet the kids loved Hog Hill image

Spen shame on you image My run isn't fast enough for a marathon nor is my swim/bike for a tri! Ultra's appeal to me too! ... in my dreams. The thought of all that running..... like... running forever... image Like UI said it's a small part and you find most people either play catchup on the bike or the run.. although in my case ...?image

I got 1.50.35 - well pleased as expected 2.15! and wanted sub 2.00! and came proudly 144th out of 148! image How cool am I for an old bird?! image

• traceyB - well done on your tri result and what a good time 25 mins better than you thought. For me the ultra is the next test, this will really push me, 2.67 marathons in one go. I think the appeal of tri may be a challenge in the future, my daugther is an excellent swimmer and she could help me train for that bit, it is also the cost of a bike, wetsuit etc that puts me of at the moment, even though some are in swimming pools so no need for a wetsuit. So it would be just the bike cost, so perhaps 2012 will be my tri year to give it a go.

Take care all

• Feeling very chilled as i have just got back from a massage image

TB I'm actually finding the long runs harder this time, all in the mind i think. Also the hotter weather hasn't helped. I think is because i don't have that first time thrill and excitement of getting longer and longer distances this time it's harder to motivate myself. Also, having had some cracking good runs on the IOW i'm feeling decidedly uninspired by factories and housing estates image Still, i'll get there......bring on the cold weather image (but not slippery snow)

And WOW fab time, well done! I'm still slightly tempted by triathlons, maybe next year?

Dad getting nervous is good. It shows you care how well you do which will, in turn, help you run better. So embrace the fear. Does that help you feel better?

UI that is interesting as 'i can't swim very well' would also be my excuse! Mind you, my bike is a thin tyred ladies type shopping sort of bike, would that do?? I do get a bit worried about traffic too....

• Well I feel I can run and swim quite well, not sure about cycling, but with practice I could quickly pick things up. However like Spen, I am sort of put off by the expense of all the extra kit you need for Tri racing. Think I will stick with running for the time being and also maybe have a dabble at Ultra distance.

Sounds like there is a few of us out racing this weekend. I am nearly ready for my marathon attempt. Just waiting for my race pack for New Forest marathon to arrive, which hopefully should be in the next day or two and then I am all sorted. Just had a gentle 5 miler earlier, a few weights and cross training and swim. Will be taking things easy for next few weeks to ensure plenty of energy left for racing.

• You only need a lot of kit if you get seriously hooked and want to do some longer races with open water swims. Many short distance sprints have a pool swim, so no wetsuit needed, and for a first attempt (or for always if you were then to stick with just doing sprints) any old bike and running shoes will do. The only thing you absolutely have to have is a helmet - and you shouldn't be cycing without one anyway.

OH and I did a fun sprint tri a couple of weeks ago and the entry fee was12 euros.

'nuff said - now back to running training everyone!

• Ultra Ironwolf: you say any old bike! I have an old mountain bike in my shed that I found in bush some time ago, none of the gears work and only the front brake half works, it is not rusty though. Think I will stick with just running for the time being.
  • Julia it's better round Benfleet! They do long runs at weekend, although only 10m at the mo. I've done Canvey Wall with 10m, although it gets samey, dunno if I could do that for 20! I understand the demotivation for the long runs, it's better round here than where I was. Just need to find the routes. Admire you for doing another mara so soon.

Tris.. I treated myself to a Giant Hybrid although now want a racebike. Had an old cranky mountainbike and didn't realise how heavy it as until I got my Giant. Tri's infectious as OH does it too. Swim is pool, can use cossie or speedies and throw cycling gear on after, everyone has run or cycle shorts, with a t-shirt surely! Tri suit I got for my birthday. It's not expensive, and it's great fun. All sorts of bikes, all kind of gear is worn, all types of swim/run/bike levels.... is just allsorts of people, just like running! Enuf said... unless FB puts his bit in...;)

• Julia - I do feel for you on your 20 mile run, it is a long way especially if it is an out and back. Friend has said to me that is a car journey.  I normally run from Dagenham and end up outside the M25, now that sounds far.

Tracy - I am alright on a bike until I have to go down hill, then I get scared image We road to Lambourne Road and then the Sky Ride Essex Ramble route. It seems we did it the opposite direction to them as we saw them go passed us when hubby was fixing his puncture.

12 mile today with hubby.

• JuliaT - I embrace the fear, and I suppose as I have been running more I get more competitive, when I did Brighton it was purely to finish and still be breathing, but now the competitive side of me has been awoken. I admire you for the long runs I too am looking forward to the cooler temps for running, but not slippy surfaces.

I normally run early in the mornign, but my wife has been ill since Saturday so I am looking after the kids, and after dance class and swimming lessons for them both last night, I went for a run at 8.30 when they were in bed. I though i would do a short 4 miles, but ended up doing 8.15 miles in 1hr and 10 minutes so 8.33 miling for over 8 miles, i was well chuffed and really enjoyed running in the dark, I think i might change some of my runs to night runs now.

I think I will have to go and watch a tri race just to see what all of the fuss is about, is there any good websites you could recommend to find local events. I already have a mountain bike but it has a kids seat on the back would that be allowed ??

Good running all.

• Spen, good effort, not a fan of running in the dark, there are too many uneven paving slabs and tree roots coming up through pavements for my liking! 
  • PP - it must be my sense of adventure but I enjoyed it running in the dark, and where I live we too have uneven pavements etc, you should give it a go.

• TracyB - your Giant will be fine until you get a race bike. Once you've got one of those, you'll want a TT bike, it's a slippery slope (tee hee)

I was happy with my MTB until I got a Trek road bike, then I realised how heavy the MTB is. After I relegated the Trek to substitute bike and bought a Cervelo, I realised how heavy the Trek is.........(the TT bike weighs 7.7kg)........

• C&I Dad (SPEN) wrote (see)

PP - it must be my sense of adventure but I enjoyed it running in the dark, and where I live we too have uneven pavements etc, you should give it a go.

I did, that's why I have tendon damage and shin splints in my right ankle!  image
  • PP - good point, perhaps I should be more careful
  • Afternoon all

Still no running this week went to the physio yesterday and he has advised me to lay of running until the shine split i have eases of so no running this week has given me a couple more exercises and to use a tennis ball to massage the muscles in the back of the legs

Will have to get out next week whatever or i won’t be fit enough to run Leicester

• Toby3 - sorry to hear you are not fixed yet, hopefully all will be sorted and you get to run at Leicester
  • toby: still a while to Leicester, so don't give in just yet. Hopefully things will improve soon.

spen: running in the dark now will be good practise for your Ultra next year!

• SR - thats partly what i thought before I went out and to de-stress with everything going on at home, and as stated earlier it was good fun it made a real change from the early mornings, and a time i was proud of.

I am debating going out again tonight but only do the 4 miles and slower as I have a HM on Sunday, and after 43 miles last week my legs need abit of a rest

• spen: you want to have fresh legs for Sunday, so don't go to mental this week. I too have a race on Sunday and only run 33 miles last week, and will only do 20 this week, also will reduce my cross training, weights and swimming. Will be the first time  I have ever properly tapered, so will see if it makes a difference on Sunday. Have you seen the weather for Sunday? long range forecast I see said sunny but cool, so sounds perfect for a run. So where's is your half?
  • SR - I am going to reduce the mileage, in my mind two more runs, about 4-5 miles each and not push , myself at all just put the i-pod on and enjoy the music, after thursday morning no running until Sunday.

My HM is at a place called Cranford near Kettering Northamptonshire, it is about 3 miles from where I live so a local one, we are entering teams from work. It is a course I know as I use it for my marathon training runs, it is undulating / hilly. The weather is saying 15degrees 9mph wind and fair so looking good, should be a nice run I will be happy with 2hrs 10mins due to the course, I will be looking for a sub 2hr Pb at the Great Eastern Run HM at Peterborough on 10th Oct.

Which one of your races is Sunday ??

• spen: am running the Farnham Pilgrim on Sunday. This is a hilly trail marathon, is the first time they have staged this event, so not to sure what to expect. I do know from what other have said on Farnham thread on here that it is quite sandy under foot, so just hope it stays dry between now and then, other wise could get messy! The hardest thing will be holding myself back, so as to save myself for New Forest the week after which I think offers the best chance of a PB, but knowing me I will just go of hell for leather regardless!
  • SR - that looks like it could be fun if the weather stays dry, but not so much fun if it is wet, I am sure you will have fun