Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    ah - so it was you who wrote that memo to the Pope....
  • Options

Just got an official e-mail from Brighton telling me the date (April 10) and entry opening (10 May 2010)

It also give a link to what they are going to improve on for next yearimageimage But the link just takes you to a page with the starting pens image So maybe they need to improve the internet content firstlyimage

• Options

Well just done it entered the Leicester marathon

Was a bit surprised they new asked for expected finish time or anything

Shall see if i live to regret it

• Options
    just got that mail as well TG - this is their improvement plan - all of which looks OK to me:

The Start
    We will have many more loos in the Start area - and some will be for Runners Only!
    We will have bigger signs indicating the Start Corals.
    We will have better music before the Start (sorry if you like loud Techno-funk, but the race director does not!).
    We will have more catering at the Start.

The Course
    We will have a sports drink station earlier in the race than 10 Miles.
    We will have more music on the route generally.
    We will make the Power Station loop (19-23 Miles) more interesting – more bands/music/support (but marathons are meant to be tough)!
    We will make sure that the stretch along Hove Prom (23-25 miles) has separation between the runners and the spectators (this was planned, but we ran out of time to get the cones & rope in place).
    We will have more crossing points for spectators on the route generally.
    We are working on tweaking the pinch-points so you can enjoy unhindered running.

Finish
    We will have easier exiting from the Repatriation Area at the Finish.
    We will aim to provide transport from Repatriation to the centre of town (it’s less than a mile, but OK...you’re tired).

General
    We will make sure there are no errors (as far as is humanly possible), in the Race Timing.
    We will make sure there are no long queues at the Park & Ride sites.
    We are working on tweaking the course to avoid pinch-points.
    We are planning to increase the size of the race – with caution.
    We are planning to keep the entry fee the same as for 2010 for individuals.
  • Options
    How come the link worked for you the FBimage
  • Options

They seem to have listened to the feedback - should be good if they can take all those comments on board.

• Options

Great!! Sounds fair, I'm up for it

So what's the betting guys n gals. Are we gonna struggle to get places or will it be coolio?

I'm going to fret about that now for the next few weeks

• Options

I'm really impressed by the email. OK there's a huge difference between saying you'd like to do something and actually delivering, but it shows a good attitude.

• Options
    TG - sheer talent mate, sheer talent.... image
  • Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭

Afternoon All image

Thought I'd better pop in at least once before the race next year .. especially as my PR dept has been so hard at work image Thanks everyone.

GF - image ... and I've told TracyB that the only way to get good at 'it' is lots of practice image

2bt -  You've got me worried now as TracyB said she'd had enough of 'that' as well image

FB - Stirling effort that man, as one 'double whammier' to another. Reading your post re London v Brighton this year I must say I totally agree

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

gmike - Well done on your VLM time. 

Just received an email about the changes they are planning for next years Brighton Marathon.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Here it is.

Race Day Information

We are absolutely stunned with how well our first ever Brighton Marathon went and gather that the vast majority of you had a great day. However, we know that there are loads of things we need to work on in order to make the 2011 event bigger and better.

We’ve listened to what you’ve been saying by phone and email and of course have read comments on a variety of websites, so we are on the case! Amongst improvements and adjustments we’ll be making for the 2011 Brighton Marathon, are the following:

The Start
    We will have many more loos in the Start area - and some will be for Runners Only!
    We will have bigger signs indicating the Start Corals.
    We will have better music before the Start (sorry if you like loud Techno-funk, but the race director does not!).
    We will have more catering at the Start.

The Course
    We will have a sports drink station earlier in the race than 10 Miles.
    We will have more music on the route generally.
    We will make the Power Station loop (19-23 Miles) more interesting – more bands/music/support (but marathons are meant to be tough)!
    We will make sure that the stretch along Hove Prom (23-25 miles) has separation between the runners and the spectators (this was planned, but we ran out of time to get the cones & rope in place).
    We will have more crossing points for spectators on the route generally.
    We are working on tweaking the pinch-points so you can enjoy unhindered running.

Finish
    We will have easier exiting from the Repatriation Area at the Finish.
    We will aim to provide transport from Repatriation to the centre of town (it’s less than a mile, but OK...you’re tired).

General
    We will make sure there are no errors (as far as is humanly possible), in the Race Timing.
    We will make sure there are no long queues at the Park & Ride sites.
    We are working on tweaking the course to avoid pinch-points.
    We are planning to increase the size of the race – with caution.
    We are planning to keep the entry fee the same as for 2010 for individuals.

If you have any other constructive comments or criticism, please let us know; we know that the day you think you know everything, you’re on a slippery slope! Please send comments to: info@brightonmarathon.co.uk

• Options
    errm - didn't I say most of that further up the page Tracey???

• Options

Shhhh. Don't tell everyone until I have got my entry in. Have to get into the office extra early on that day so I am ready to go by 10:00am.

Don't know if I can be arsed to enter London next year. Major hassle getting in in the first place and after actually going to watch it this year (at the 400m mark) looks like a lot a hassle to run as well. Also, a nightmare getting home (and I live in London). Then again I think it is a race you have to do once.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    FB - having a senior moment image
  • Options
    image Looking good! I for one will be poised mouse in hand watching the seconds tick down on May 10!
  • Options
    May 10 marked on the calendar - don't plan to hang about with entering.  Would be nice if we got the early bird discount again this year but I suspect not.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I didn't get early bird discount as I left it too long to enter.
  • Options
    Anyone know if they will have the same system of buying places back (less £10) like they did last year if you should get into London?
  • Options
    Oh now I really don't know what to do. Brighton or London. My heart says Brighton but my head is telling me I should take the oppertunity to run London while I'm lucky enough to have it. I would do both but I don't think we'd be able to afford it.
    It really seems like the Brighton team have taken on board every comment that's been made and next years event could be truly awesome. But then again it could rain and be blowing a gale, which would put a downer on things somewhat. Guess I need to decide by 10th May.
  • Options
    Rugger_Bird I'm feeling exactly the same. I think next year's Brighton could be great but in a few years it might start to spoil. Maybe if we all stop posting we can keep it secret and special?  My OH has a deferred London place for 2011 which may spring it for me, but at the moment I'm feeling far more positive about the idea of a nice run along the clifftop rather than negotiating a womble on Tower Bridge.
  • Options
    o o o o oooooooh getting excited already. How will I be able to contain my self for a whole year??? Maybe I should find a nice autumn marathon to run in the meantime. I wondered about the Isle of Wight but think it's hilly, any suggestions anyone????
  • Options

Rats, keep forgetting to untick that box at the botton which says 'e-mail me when a response is made'

hang on, i'll do it now

• Options
    Will be loads more support next year too ( as if 80,000 wasn't enough). It's still the talk of the town and everyones really proud of it, I think those that didn't make it down to watch this year are regretting it and will definitely make the effort next year, especially if there is more entertainment

Do they have ANY idea how peeved I'll be if they don't give me a place! I shall be on t'internet from 10 on the 10th and if I don't get a place you will know about it. Grrrrrr
  • Options

Brighton or London.............image

Having done London 4 times, the last in 2001, I had intended to do it one more time.  I must do Brighton next year.  When I saw the entry details for London and saw the race, all the bad memories came drifting back: cost of hotels, crowded trains, crowded running, after race use of Underground (oooh those steps!) against: easy train journey on day, new course to run, nicer scenery, good companions!, not overcrowded, easy peasy trip home.  I know I have a deferred entry but you still know immediately if you are in.

So, I would definitely say try for London and if you get in do it for the experience.  But London doesn't interest me any more.  Brighton all the way!!!!

Yes I shall be in costume next year.  Hopefully it will be hanging on me much looser than it does nowimage.  I may even pop into a shorter race in the next few weeks................

• Options

green Fairy can’t wait to see you in Costume next year

Brighton Rocks and so they should be they did us proud though i don’t think i would want the same Taxi driver next year as we had this year he decided that it would be funny to gently bump into the taxi in front when we stopped at a set of lights

Julia T come with me to Leicester in October as have just entered the Leicester marathon which is on the 10th of October and this from the man who said that he was only doing one and that was it

I take it from Brighton Rock post that entries open at 10 in the morning if this is the case i will have to set my alarm

• Options
    toby3 wrote (see)

I take it from Brighton Rock post that entries open at 10 in the morning if this is the case i will have to set my alarm

You need to set your alarm to be up by 10.00 a.m on a Monday morning image Easy life

Having said that, you're always posting on here at 5.00 a.m.....image

Do you work nights?

• Options
    r_b - you can always do both you know....

I'm going to have a serious think as to whether I'm doing Brighton again - 2011 for me is already planned to be a big biking year rather than running so I shall have to sit and cogitate. I can probably fit at least one marathon into the biking plans but it's a question of whether I want to or not.....

hmmmmmm
  • Options
    You know you want to.