Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• PeterPan: lasts nights run had me running 1/2 a mile at 6:20 M/M, 5 & 1/2 miles at 6:40 M/M, and 4 miles at 7:03 M/M, with a minute water break  this had me finishing in just over 1:09. There are lads at my gym who regularly run 10 miles on the treadmills next to me in sub 1 hour. I just feel I am at a stage now  where I would like to give it a good go and see just how fast I can get.
  • SR - Have you thought of doing any specific speed work sessions e.g. Warm-up then say 10 400s with 90 sec rest and then a warm down?

toby3 - I hope your shin splint gets better soon. What are you doing to try and re-hab it? Both my wife and one son have had it to varying degrees.

• I'm now of 4-6 weeks rest/layoff before I start training again in order to give the ligaments and tendons time to heal; if I don't rest them the quack will get the scapel out   image

Toby, I used to know a gym instructor who had shin splints and he reckoned walking up and down the length of a swimming pool was the best rehab possible. The water acts as resistance which helps build muscle but without impact upon your shins.  Whatever you try - good luck 

• I've always used pool running as therapy for leg injuries, it's really a good way to help the healing process and keep your CV system fit.
  • Thanks Guys.

Far for me too in the middle of the night. Fortunately OH won't be too tired to drive after his Saturday League Cross Country, food and snooze image plus as he raced in the day he's racing with me, (i.e. slower pace than he usually does!), we get a free headtorch too!

Okay all, happy training and have a good weekend image

• Evening all

Opted for a swim yesterday so did 10 minutes swimming and 10 minutes running in the pool  then repeated did 3 sets of each in the end which took me up to the hour mark

Rest day today 

P/P I hope the rest goes well and you come back fighting fit

• Has anybody been on or know of anyone who has been on these Algarve training camps?
  • Moi, been about 4 or 5 times. image

• Dips: Worth it? Thoughts? With the Brighton Half Marathon lot?
  • PP, sorry just seen email from Brighton Marathon and realised you probably mean the Embrace Algarve training. I've not been with them, although I am V tempted by the March one, just thought the photos only showed young fit bods. image

I've been with 209 Events and then in recent years with Full Potential who were both inclusive of all abilities.  I've really enjoyed the camps, its great being with other 'running geeks' and usually the weather is kind, just the ticket after all that snow last year!

• Morning all

Have had a couple of rest days but am hoping to get over the gym later today if time permits i hope me and the O/H spent yesterday afternoon sorting out our food cupboard my goodness is surprising what you find when you start clearing things out

And the shame of it we found some of our spices were over 2 years out of date

I think my biggest problem at the moment is i keep forgetting that running is support to be done for fun and it not all about training for races

And that you don’t have to go out every day and not every run has to be 8 or mile 9 you are allowed to do small little runs and it not a cardinal sin if you don’t do a long Sunday run

I am my worst enemy when it comes to anything like this i tend to beat myself i if i don’t think am training as much as i should or as hard as i should  and forget that no one on here is going to think less of you if you’re not out there running

I have unfortunately by nature and additive personality which means once i am in to something i am in to something this is both a blessing and a curse

Any way ramble over i think a bit of frustration is kicked in

Have stopped going to the physio as i don’t feel things were getting any better and as i said before he never give a straight answer if i asked his advice about any thing

waves to every one 
  • Hello everyone,

I went for a long run yesterday. My GPS watch had run out of charge so I had to do it with just my normal watch. It turned out to be a blessing as I wasn't constantly checking to see how fast or (more likely) how slow I was going. I was able to just settle in to a steady pace and enjoyed the run so much more as a result. 

I was doing a 2 hour run, so I ran along the canal and at one hour I stopped and headed back. I usually find that I am unable to get back home in the same time, but without the frustrating distractions of knowing my pace, I comfortably ran back home in an hour. I've never managed this before. I was delighted!

I think I will do more of my long runs without the GPS watch from now on and just decide on the duration of the run, stop halfway and try my best to get back in the same time.

From using the maps on  http://www.mapmyrun.com/, it seems I ran out about 6 miles and so over the two hours it seems my average pace was about 10min/mile, which is much faster than my previous long runs with the GPS watch.

Does anyone else find the long runs easier without knowing your pace?

• pgb, I do know acouple of people who claim to have set new PBs whilst running without a watch. They say that you relax more and let your body run and not your brain
  • Hi All, we did the Brighton Midnight White Night Half Marathon last night. Did it in a slow 2.42...actually 13.6m so makes a difference! Reminisced on the seafront from Hove to the finish... although no-one was at the pub to stand and cheer, nor anyone outside their beachuts to invite me for a drink, but the memories of Brighton Mara 2010 made me smile image

Was more like an LSR then a race image but not chipped or defined as a race anyway.

Started on the last 'wave', although realised we could have gone earlier and no-one would know. Not only did we start at the last, also at the back.

Found the off-road part a bit scary, luckily OH had decided to stay with me, knowing I'd be about 2.30, whereas he'd usually be around 1.30.

So long day, late finish, enjoyed it as it was a challenge. Luckily we took food supplies as on the way home at 3am we were bloody starving image

Good value, marshalls were fun/helpful, getting a t-shirt, headtorch (extremely useful) and a medal all for a tenner! Will have raised around £200 so happy as it's not my main fundraiser.

Two ladies shouting at us in a residential road, near a pub something Oak I think it was called. They'd had a whipround in the pub and gave us the money. We gave it to the next marshall.. was at least a tenner there. How lovely was that.

Some people stopped and asked what we were 'jogging' for! Clearly they could tell we were running! Quite a bit of support from individuals, excluding the drunk (yep, another one) saying: Halloween's over! Erm... take your mask of then mate image Actually, it's not till today!

Met a RW forumite which was lovely.

Pleased I did it. A challenge for me with the timing and the route.. biggest hills I've ran to date, and off-road in the dark. No plans to do it again, but pleased I did.

Home around 5am.

Well deserved curry now image

• Dublins done now so when does the 16 week plan start?

• 16 weeks before the marathon?
  • Evening all, back from the IOW where i stuffed my face and only ran once. Whoops!

Well done TB, sounds like it was fab!

Waves to everyone else, will catch up properly in the week

• TracyB & gmike - Well done on running a half marathon through the night imageimage Was going to come out but didn't fancy walking down the dark road out of East Brighton Park.
  • Morning all

Well got over the gym went with the O/H had a nice swim will try to get over again today but this time will go into the gym first before having a swim

Tracy B well done to you sounds like you had a great time

• Thanks All. TraceyG, did wonder where you were en route! To be honest, the late night drunks were a bit of a worry. Even worse when you don't drink yourself and all you can smell is booze as you're running!

Well done on Dublin EH.

Julia, how's your recovery?

Hi to everyone else image

• TracyB - How are your legs today?

Not long back from a 7 mile run with hubby image Now that Beachy is out the way Brighton/London marathon training begins.

• Afternoon all, hope your legs are still working TB!
  • Not been running since last week as have had a twinge in my right hand calve that I did not want to make worse, so apart from a little cross training in the gym, just rest for me.

Did go out and buy myslef  a new pair of Asics Kayano 16 this morning. Hopefullly will get some good milage out of these. Am tempted to go back to running shop soon though for some proper racers for using in events. Maybe early next year I will.

TB: well done on the night race.

• Just achey quads as the hills were the hillyest I've done... climb was 850ft, I don't know what this means but Garmin route makes it look like I climbed Snowdon! Just my quads, but are recovering quickly.

Well done on Beachy Tracey G!

• TracyB - I climbed 4850ft in Beachy Head Marathon. Hill really take it out of your quads and bum. Can I get you interested in doing it next year?
  • I think the use of one word here is politer than two! ... No image
  • afternoon all

Went over the gym yesterday did 50 minutes in the gym then went for a swim a really pleased as this is the first good work out i have had for a while hoping to get over for a swim today if time allows

oh dear it’s Pringles season again i am going to have to be very good with them this year but having said that i haven’t got off to a very good start as we have already emptied 3 tubs

oh i do love a Pringle

S/R glad to see your being sensible 

• JuliaT! Just saw your name on B15 list image
  • I had enough rest as was getting withdrawal symptoms from runner's high so put the trainers back on last night and headed out for 15 miles in just under 2 hours. Felt good to be running and the dodgy calve seems to be behaving. Now time to get my head down for some serious training for next race which is Gosport half latter this month.

toby: yeah it is Pringle season again. Already have a few packs stashed away in wardrobe ready for Christmas image. If they do not get eaten beforehand.

• toby3 and SR - I have come on here to announce to TracyB that I am following her Brighton lead and giving up chocolate at least until Christmas!  Perhaps you two should do the same with the Pringles?  I know it is hard to resist the offers on goodies at the moment, but we know we will eat them before Chrissie Time and will have to replace themimage  It's the same with Easter eggs.

TracyB - well done to you and Mike for doing the Brighton half......and in the dark during halloween weekend!image  So how did you 'cope' without the choccie Tracy?  Did Mike help by not eating it in front of you?  Have you been eating any since April?  I am hoping to find other 'treats' which are healthier but tasty.

My knee ligament was getting so much better but now the meniscus has started playing up.  hadn't been any trouble up to now.  Am off the physio tomorrow anyway so will see what he says.  He is a very good one in my eyes and has been very helpful when asked questions, not like yours toby3.

Now where did I put that slab of Marks and Spencers christmas cake.............................................imageimage