Options

Lucozade gels

Bit poor running out of gels was it not. Felt very sorry for those that had planned to use them.

Comments

• Options
    Some were taking more than one. Lucky I had my own gels to take.
  • Options
    Me too but think I'll try without them next time, after much experimentation don't think they agree with me. Very squelchy underfoot at that point weren't it!
  • Options
    YorkieYorkie ✭✭✭

The last gel station ran out extremely early as I finished in just over four hours and they'd already run out.

It did feel like a dingy nightclub with your feet sticking to the floor by the gel stations!

• Options
    I took the SIS gels which I use for my carboloading. They contain more than the Lucozade.
    But they are less like syrup. I took one at 10, 15 and 20. I only took one Lucozade gel at 14.
    The ones I took seem to work well.
  • Options
    Think I took too many gels - one every three miles from mile 7 onwards, which meant I took on far too much water which I feel led to my cramping. Maybe not but I'm annoyed I got it wrong.
    Lucozade need to plan the gel thing a bit better next year me thinks. Yup dingy nightclub is spot on.
  • Options

I felt like my feet had been velcroed to the floor running through those gel stations. As if it wasn't hard enough as it was!

Poor show them running out, luckily for me I wasn't planning on taking them as Lucozade makes me image.

P.s. *pedant alert* wherefore means why, not whereabouts.

• Options
    They were very welcome - saved me having to carry (or get them from the RW crowd at Mudchute)

Shame they clearly didn't do the simple maths.
  • Options

There was only one gel station... it served both sides of the Highway....

I'd planned to take them.  Luckily I'd overdosed on roadside jelly babies by the time I got there the first time (about 3 hours 20), so never got any.  I had planned to take 2 as I'd have needed that many if it hadn't been for the jelly babies.  I don't think anyone can blame people for taking more than one when there were only 2 points on the course where they were supplied!

Good idea, but if they are going to do gels it should be more of them and at more points on the course.

• Options
    Am I right in thinking that this was the first year the gels were offered? It must have been difficult to estimate how many they would need, but you would have thought they'd try to overestimate rather than end up short. Hopefully they'll get it right next year.
  • Options

The gels remind me of the old Lucozade pouches they supplied years back.
    If runners chuck them on the road and everyone tramples over it will be sticky.
    Unless Lucoazde can try and put this in bottle form, then it stays that way.

If you took the Lucozade bottles and gels, this should have provided added carbohydrates.
    These are only to top up your reserves. 14 miles is a good point as your reserves will be
    down to a 1/4. 21 miles will give you a top up to the end. I would recommend supplying
    gels at the start and to take one. But wouldn't recommend having more on the course.

• Options
    Yes - first year they've provided gels on the course.

They ought to be able to estimate, based on the demand for LS pouches at the regular 5,10,15,19,23 mile points.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Did they run out? Seemed plenty when I was running past the gel stations. Oh well. I don't use gels so I didn't notice. Mind you I didn't notice much except for the large quanity of undrunk water and lucazde at the waterring holes. Made running rather dodgy. Think that the bottles are just too big for most of us. I only had a few sips of my water on the way around. Seemed enough for me.

Bad if folk took more than they needed though. Just not cricket.

• Options
    there were at least two gels areas along the course, I had two of my own and had one of the lucozade gels and they were disgusting compared to the ones I had brought with me ( and they take a lot to beat !)
  • Options

Fortunately I took my own SiS gels (and picked 2 up from the lovely RW supporters at mile 17) so it wasn't a problem (although trying to prise my feet from the pavement at the first gel station was!)

One poor girl in front of me at the 2nd station was clearly relying on them though and resorted to picking an unopened one up off the side of the road when she saw they'd run out. image

• Options
    there were plenty available at 14 when i got there (2hours 25 in)-they were having to open the boxes one by one though which was a bit odd (they werent pre-opened).  I took two but soon realised i didnt need it and passed to another runner down the road.