Thank you Thread

OK. People may not want to join this but I thought I'd start a thank you thread. Who knows the people who helped us out may see it one day and realise their support is appreciated. So:

Thankyou to the fella at Mile 18 with the tray of orange slices, they were fab.
Thankyou to the people holding the Motivational Sign that read "Motivation Sign". Made me chuckle. Down with that kind of thing.
Thankyou to the people holding Miley Tiley signs. You were everywhere and whoever Tiley is, it made me think how ace it is to have pals who go to so much effort.

Comments

• YorkieYorkie ✭✭✭
    I'm struggling to think of specific instances but the support was amazing and thank you to everyone supporting yesterday, particularly those in the last six miles when it was needed most.
  • Thanks to the people who screamed at me when i pulled up with a grimace my knee having seized in the last 2 miles. It made me get going again, just cos I didn't want to disappoint them. Had there been no one there I might have walked the last mile and a half.
  • elgmelgm ✭✭✭
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was going through hell from mile 18 and people's encouragement made me break into a trot instead of walking !

Must have heard my name called out 100 plus times. Amazing.

Fave sign ? "Run like you stole something" at about mile 3.
  • A big huge great extra thank you to the Danish lady from the Danish traveling marathon group at Blue start pen 6. Your kindness almost made me cry. I was so cold and shivering waiting for the start and you gave me your jacket to warm me up instead of yourself.....A big massive thank you.

Thanks to everyone shouting my name throughout the race you made it all possible.

Thank you to RW supporter group 10, didn't spott you but nowing you were out there helped me a lot.

Thank you to my Lepra charity supporters, you stood where you where desperately needed at mile 23.

• I think my special notice has to go with for a guy with a tray of various things, including bits of carrot.  Wouldn't have thought of them as ideal fuel beforehand, but when I was feeling a bit nauseous from loads of sweets and having difficulty taking on fuel, they were just right.  Very grateful for a banana too, thought a whole one was a bit much!

And the one woman from the Stroke Association who was still at Cleopatra's needle when I went past, and went absolutely nuts cheering when she saw my vest!

Generally thanks to all the supporters who stood there for hours holding stuff, shouting etc.... without standing in the middle of the course/on the red line I was following and actually didn't stand stock still in my path as I ran towards them yelling excuse me until I finally had to swerve around them.... that sort of stuff did happen way too often.

(Seriously, how about next year all of us who have people coming to support us ask that if they see people standing out in the course they ask them to move back, and especially explain what the red line is.  I appreciate support, but not people demanding my attention, and just because I'm a slow runner (I'm guessing this is more of a problem at the back...) doesn't mean I want to run an extra mile or two around people blocking the course with their hands held out for high fives....  Even the staff at water stations didn't seem to showing much sense.  If I'm carrying a water bottle why are there three people in my path all basically begging to give me another one?)

• Thank you to everyone cheering around the course, especially the last six miles which hurt so much. Your support and encouragement kept me going and made all the difference in the world.
  • Who said that Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs was quiet?! Man, it was packed and noisy!

I saw the 'run like you stole something' sign as well - made me smile for a new miles beyond that!

Thanks to complete strangers who screamed my name in the last few tiring miles ... the wall of sound all the way along the Embankment to the finish. Anyone who was in the Mall cheering yesterday must be voiceless this morning.

Makes me well up when I think of the kindness of complete strangers helping sick and injured runners all aong the route.

Thanks to the Runner's Wolrd Group 5 and Fetch Group 7 and my running club for willing me on.

I'll do it all for you some day.

SSx

• So glad I had my name printed on my T-shirt.  Having a popular name helped too, as I don't think they were always cheering for me but another SARAH next to me.

At one point there was a big group with a SARAH sign who cheered just for me...brilliant.  Without the supporters telling me to keep going I would have finished about an hour later - they really kept me moving.

WELL DONE xxx

• Thanks to everyone in the crowd that gave me a cheer on. The fact that it was people of all ages, from teenage kids to golden oldies restores your faith in human beings!

A special thanks to the Macmillan guys who have fantastic eyesight - they spotted me and all the other Macmilan vest wearers from what seemed miles away, and the noise they made was fantastic - at mile 14 it brought tears to my eyes the reception I got.

Finally, thanks to another runner, also called Simon, who gave me words of encouragement at about 23 miles - it gave me the boost I needed to get running again and I managed to dip under the 4 hour barrier - cheers Simon!

• Thanks for the man who held a piece of Marsh Bar out for me, somewhere around mile 17.

• Zaba - That's really sweet about the Danish Lady, sums up the whole great big life affirming human spirit of the whole day. I know people knock the London marathon for various reasons but I cannot begin to imagine that a marathon anywhere else in the world has such positive vibes surrounding it.

• A big thank you to the runners world run-walk pacer from the blue start. With his help I got a pb by 12 minutes and very nearly cracked the sub 5 hour mark. image 

And to all the organisers and volunteers...THANK YOU

• Thank you to the man at mile 24 who changed the words to Ride sally ride to 'RUN VIKKI RUN' it made my day

and the woman who gave me water at mile 20ish who said I was a hero

and of course mudchute group 7- you were fab!!!!

• Johnny2323 wrote (see)
    Zaba - That's really sweet about the Danish Lady, sums up the whole great big life affirming human spirit of the whole day. I know people knock the London marathon for various reasons but I cannot begin to imagine that a marathon anywhere else in the world has such positive vibes surrounding it.

Absolutely agree, yes LM is not the best place for average runners to set there PBs but who cares the atmoshpere is fantastic and the thing that really counts.

Will track her down via their running club to say thank you properly, if any of their members are stuck in London I will return the favour.

• Elsewhere on these boards charity supporters get a bit of stick (taking up too much space or something). I'd like to say well done. Most of them cheered on runners from their own charity and other runners too. Happened to me loads.
  • I'd like to echo all the above thanks to supporters, without fantastic calls of encouragement (and some brilliant tongue in cheek moments) I'm not sure I would have made it.

But special thanks to the wonderful St Johns lady at mile 18 who massaged my cramp destroyed calvesquads, and enabled me to carry on to the finish. (apologies though for the big sweaty hugkiss I gave you, but I was emotional OK image )

• I had thumb ache from giving a grateful "thumbs up" sign to all those shouting "come on Pete" etc.

But there is one particular chap I'd like to catch up with.  Mile 25 with a home made sign saying:

Fancy a pint?

YES PLEASE!!image 

• Great thread Johnny2323.

* first massive thank you to Nam, Flibberty, JD and Mr. Spinkletoes on SuperGroup 8 (not a typo!).

* thankyou to Karen Sims for being so friendly at the RW stand at the forum

* thank you to Super Sixer Lucy Spinkletoes for being inspiring, kind, caring and a bit mad image

* thank you to little blonde 'HANNAH', back of red start pen 9, running for Heart Foundation.. your lovely chat kept me from running back out of the the pen in fear... I hope you finished in style, you were a star, and hope your red earrings made it to the end too!

* thank you to the guys near mile 16 who sang a lovely rendition of 'Sweet Caroline' to me!

* thank you to the guy, who at mile 23, shouted "GO ON CAROLINE, YOU'RE A MACHINE!" as I was running out of the blackfriars underpass... made me laugh (inwardly!) the rest of the way!

* thank you to all the lovely much faster runners who have made me feel valued and a 'proper runner' with my 6hr+ finish time.

• Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to come out and support us on Sunday.

It was my first attempt at a marathon, and the encouragement and jelly babies as I struggled along the Embankment made all the difference. I hope to be back again soon!

• Brownie28Brownie28 ✭✭✭

* thanks to the Magic Numbers, who got me through the week leading up to the day with all my injury worries with some great humour and encouragement and of course the fab women on the other side of the fence at Mile 17, hugs and kisses greatly appreciated!

* thanks to my amazing sister and mates who managed to keep ahead of me all day and furnish me with a bottle of the fizzy stuff at the end. I will NEVER get over seeing them at the barrier at Parliament Square (I still have no idea how they managed that!) and the noise they made!

* thanks to the guy at 18m with the oranges...couldn't have faced another Jelly Baby!

* similarly, thanks to the guy with the Murray Mints...really helped me out

* last but definitley not least...many thanks to every single person who called my name, told me I was amazing, smiled and cheered as I walked the last 4 miles when my stupid hip let me down (again!), I'm sure I would have finished in the end, but perhaps not as quickly or as happily if it wasn't for you!! image

• Brownie28Brownie28 ✭✭✭
    Ooooh, I forgot to mention the girls with the 'Run like you stole something' sign, saw them about 3 times and laughed everytime!
  • I forgot to thank Anders who got me to the start on time and in one piece, and also for him cooking pasta the day before and forcing me to eat.

And buying me an iced cofffee after the race. All this AND he ran the VLM too.

• Just like to thank my wife for putting up with my marathon training madness stage,                      The four friends who came to London to support me,                                                                 Macmillan cancer support, you were a great team to run for, pre-race support, cheerpoints during the race were mental they made me start sprinting and I had to remind myself it wasn't 100m it was a marathon, and the after race recovery center was amazing, great massage.                                              Everybody on the course high fiving and shouting my name, the guy who because I was wearing tight lycra shorts shouted "I'm sure that's illegal", the bands of musicians, the great signs, all the volunteers who made VLM possible, the woman at mile 20 who shouted "come on Andy you can do it, only another 20 miles to go".                                                                                                                                                              

• All the other charities who although I was running for Macmillan still shouted my name out and made me feel special.                                                                                                                    All the people who sponsored me thanks, I may have chickened out otherwise, but there was no way I was letting the charities down.                                                                                                    RW forums for loads of advice and tips that I picked up scrolling through the threads.             Lastly all the other runners each and every one of you were amazing, like one big family, I tip my hat to anyone in fancy dress (especially the guy with the fridge on his back) and even the ones who finished before me lol, I will run the LM again one day because it was an amazing experience, one that I'll never forget. THANKS               
  • What the hell happened to the spacing on my posts image 

Sorted  image