Salomon South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• I'm running this even after my worst London performance a few weeks back.

Although it will be my 10th marathon, this will be my first time for a trail marathon. Could you tell me at what point the worst of the hills start? Is it at the beginning or further in? I have looked at the fly-through, but I couldn't see distances.

Also, where is the best place for my other half to spectate?

Thank you for the advice on the timings though - I won't be disappointed then to run around 5 hours. I am running the Cheltenham Circular Challenge the week after so I need to leave something in the tank!
  • hi all,

I am travelling over from Dublin to do this marathon........this will be marathon no. 6 out of 8 in 80 days I am doing for charity...................and after looking at the video presentation on the incline of the course, has me a little spooked at this.

So how hilly is this race?I see from the comments that I should be prepaped to stop and walk at some stage.Are the inclines gradually or are they very sharp climbs?

Cheers for the assistance & hope you are all well & raring to go

Dave

And also, at what point

• tigertwo - the road crossings  are the best (only) places - and they have water points there too. The one at 20miles  is quite a good one - always a lot of people, and when u really starting to need a friendly face too !!

Hills - 4 bigs ones, sharp climbs - quite evenly spread out - last one just before the 20m water point. The last 6miles always catches me though and is quite "undulating" too so keep a little in the tank for that.

It is a lovely race and the best, most scenic course, and the views more than make up for the hills image

• Thinking about staying overnight rather than having a ridiculously early start from home. Any pointers re accommodation from those that know the area? Tavm
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah!! wrote (see)
    Thinking about staying overnight rather than having a ridiculously early start from home. Any pointers re accommodation from those that know the area? Tavm
    There is a Premier inn in Horndean also I believe the Ship and Bell in Horndean has accomodation and the Rising Sun in Clanfield  offer accomodation too (and nice food) image There are probably lots of places in Petersfield too which is also fairly close but I'm not so familiar with that area
  • Thanks touie2, will check them out. 

The tourist office have recommended a b&b  in Midhurst which I must say looks rather nice and isn't at all expensive (a big plus with all the races I'm doing this year!)

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah!! wrote (see)

Thanks touie2, will check them out. 

The tourist office have recommended a b&b  in Midhurst which I must say looks rather nice and isn't at all expensive (a big plus with all the races I'm doing this year!)

I'd check the distance I'm not sure Midhurst is that close image
  • Multimap has it as being c15 mins drive.  Tbh from home it'll be nearly 2 hours so anything up to 30 mins would be ok.
  • Only place to come back to me from the ones I emailed last night is the Good Intent in Petersfield.  Looks nice and he says it's 10 mins to the park.  At least with a pub I won't have to go far for dinner!! image
  • I am staying at the Good Intent the night before.  Trains and taxis seemed too troublesome/expensive so I am driving.  It was the good at the Good Intent that sold it to be - good pub grub that should keep me going round the course (she says!!!). I am running with a pack for training so going to take it really steady - my road time is 3:50 so would be nice to get in under 5 hours.
  • Cool, will see you at the Good Intent Kaly!!

Given my current road pace is c5.20 I'm not expecting much other than a (hopefully) nice day out in lovely countryside 

• Oh help! This is my first ever marathon and have now got the jitters! Do they have a cut off time as I know think I will be about 5.30 to 6 hours? Do all my training on the North Downs so do do hills but why did I choose this one?! Any words of encouragement would be gratefully received x
  • Gail, you'll be fine just as long as the marshalls don't catch you coming out of a pub image

I did the water station at the 21 mile point a few years ago and i've also helped at the finish a couple of times.  It's a challenge, but certainly one that everyone seems to enjoy.  

• Gail having thought about this some more I think I will be more like 5:30 as I'm not going all out plus am training with a full pack for an ultra in July. I doubt the stations would be packing up before that, 6 hours for a marathon like this won't be at the back.

K

• Gail, sure you'll be fine. 

Doubt I'll go under 6 so I'm hoping there's no cut-off!

• I fellow,
    I will be running this as part of my build up toward fell & ultra running this year.
    Is there any one from around E7 or any Orion Harrier doing it?
    See you there
    Regis

• Thanks Ultra, Kaly and Lady Wot Jogs. Feel a whole lot better about it this morning! See you all there
  • Just entered. Just hope my legs recover in time to do the Midsummer Munroe the next weekend image
  • Not long now!

I survived the Marlborough Downs Challenge and I am really looking forward to this now. I might try and get out and run some of the route again before hand.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

The hills are looking beautiful this week and are very dry. Mostly!

I'll be a slow finisher and possibly hanging around for a while after. If anyone needs a lift to stations eastwards of Petersfield I should be able to help. I'll be heading towards Portsmouth.

• Hi everyone, I've been reading this interesting thread, this year is my first time on SDW marathon.

Is there any shade on this run, or is it all in the open?  I heard that they often run short on water, so the advice is to carry your own drinks, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

• I'd say 90% in the open. I've had no experience of them running out of water (in the 3 times I've done it) - I think once they didn't have energy gels at one point they were going to, but that was all. 

I always carry a 250ml "donut" bottle and keep it topped up - because I like sipping water regularly, but have never needed more than that between water points.

It's a brilliantly organised race - and I'm sure that if conditions are expected to be anything like this passed w/end, they will make quite sure there's more than enough water image

• Great - thanks.  I'm hoping for a cool day then, 20 miles in the sun yesterday nearly killed me!

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Hello I've entered this too.

I'll probably be well over 5 hours so it will be good to have company.

• 3 weeks to go, I'm really looking forward to my first marathon and a great day on the South Downs.

Fingers crossed the temperature will be more forgiving than this weekend, eh image

Good luck  everyone, and see you on the 12th.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Limper - I may be after a lift but I'm a trifle confused. Is Portsmouth not west of Petersfield?

I've done this one twice and the water provision has been fine (mixture of bottles and cups plus gels at two points). That said I tend to wilt in the heat.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Oh, don't ask me about lefts and rights Helly!! I'll be heading back towards Portsmouth / Chichester, whatever point of the compass they're on!!
    I really will be a late leaver. You're welcome to a lift anywhere along my route image
  • Expect to be really slow but if it's anything like as warm as it was in Edinburgh this weekend I dread to think how long it'll take me!
  • Can anybody who did this last year remember if there was gels at the start; in the tents where you got your chip? I seem to remember there being some but could be confusing it with another race.
  • Mr Guy,

I did this last year and am doing it again this year.  There definately were gels at the start, plenty of them so you can stock up for the run,

Did the Marlborough Downs as well, really enjoyed that one.

greg