Salomon South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Have just booked into the Good Intent as well, so looks like there might be a few of us there.
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭

Look forward to seeing you along the way then Ultra Kaz as I intend to be Very Slow!

Please tell me that you haven't got your numbers yet anyone?

• My Guy, as per what Greg H said above.

Yes, there were (SIS GO) Gels on a table just outside the registration tent at Slindon. However, I don't know what the etiquette was with regards to the number you could take. I guess only one or two.

• Thanks Greg and Sean. I didn't take any last year as I had about 6 of my own and several chocolate bars (I don't like to go too long with out eating even when I as sitting down! ). 

Greg Marlbourgh downs was great wasn't it, lovely run and well organised.

Limper I havn't got my number yet either, I think they said two weeks before the day.  

• @ Regis E7

I'll be travelling from Loughton via train, welcome to join me. 

• @ Chaz!

Thanks, that could be an option. what is your journey?
  • Looking forward to this!  Will be good to see you again Capricorn after not seeing you at Neolithic for more than the pre-race sheltering from the rain. Am training for the Ridgeway so am having a long-and-slow training schedule, hence finishing behind you more often than not!
  • Mr Bobban, good to know you're back on the South Downs.

See you at the start line fella.

• mordomordo ✭✭✭

hi all

i entered the race a few weeks ago but did not get the usual email though the money has left my account

is this the usual and are people getting numbers yet

• Is this your first since the Marathon des Sables?
  • No mate, I took a couple of weeks off and then ran in the 3 Forts Marathon, albeit rather slowly. Then I jogged around the Marlborough Downs 20 miler a couple of weeks ago with no ill effects.

I've got the Dartmoor Discovery next Saturday so a scamper around the South Downs should be a breeze by comparison.

Famous last words eh?

• Mordo.....have had same experience as you and as of Monday 1st have not received number....think all is well as no one else seems to have either!
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Can't remember if I got the email but  no number for me yet. I don't expect any problems as organisation's usually very good..
  • My training has been pants!

Entered ages ago - done only a handfull of runs (nothing for at least 4 weeks and very limited up to then) but on last run did manage a hilly off road 18 in the Chilterns.

Have done a sub 4 on the flat before (a few years ago), but am rightly quite nervous now due to lack of application and training and current rotund stature.

Preparation has consisted of beer and general bravado accompanied by the odd pie, bacon sarnie (earlier this evening) and other misc. unhealthy meal. (May live to regret this lack of training or bask in the glory of it - although unlikely)

Is it woth doing anything in the last couple of weeks? I doubt it...

Is this still achievable?

Have done Windermere, any comparison?

Engald Vs USA in the evening!

• Jenks, I think your training regime is spot on. Minimum running and maximum bragging has always worked for me.

You did 18 miles recently so don't be concerned, although a couple of shorter runs between now and race day wouldn't hurt. And bacon sandwiches have always been an excellent training aid.

My old chum Mr Guy will be there too, probably wiping the crumbs from his lips as he walks to the start line. Just turn up and enjoy the day my friend.

• mordomordo ✭✭✭

"18 miles"  --- goodness gracious me, i havent done over 10 miles since the halstead marathon and somehow expect to survive

anyone doing the mid-summer monroe saturday after? so i can tag along on the day

• Jenks..........you've made me feel a whole lot better! I still haven't been able to give up the wine and am now fretting about the heat!!!
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭

<< snorts >>

Last marathon distance I did was last October. Half marathon back in February. Other than that... image

Recent training has involved most of a family bar of chocolate today and trying on my new shoes. I'm sure that's adequate prep image

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Not planning on giving up the drink till Monday at the earliest but I have cashew nuts to snack on for my nutritional needs.

I would say the only thing to be a bit wary of is possibly the heat  as though water provision is fine I don't fancy doing this if it's 25 degrees or above.

• As I log on at just before mid night, a glass of wine in hand; you have all made me feel invinsible!

Brilliant responses, very motivational - importantly, you're all right  - I AM ready, in fact I've probably over prepared, because everyone knows that a total of 50 miles in training is excessive.

Who needs to train? Who needs speed sessions, long runs and hills? Not me!

Who needs to take on fluids; who needs carbs and who cares about the heat? Once again I say, not me.

I'm ready for the 12th of June

Bring it on!

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Obviously us South Downers are well 'ard Jenks!
    Training? Pah. I laugh in the face of training.

<< caresses shiny untried shoes and packs more choclit for lunch break >>

• Hey Regis,

My journey wld be loughton to london, london to arundel cab to start & petersfield to london when finished. 

• anyone know if i will be able to park at QECP on the friday night and kip in my car?

it's a long way to travel in the morning and i can't afford anything else

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    In previous years a few folk have camped in the finish zone. Best email 2:09 and ask them.
  • I have looked around and there is no sign of a camp site so this could be an option...
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Chaz - presumably you have ascertained there is a train that gets in to Arundel in time (I've been too lazy so far). If it's possible on the day I'm coming down from London so would be up for a cab share from Arundel with you and Regis. 

Limper - I'm not being deliberately confusing it's just that I can stay in the area but it's not that close so I'm weighing up options whether I need to stay over or can come down on the day. The last 2 years I stayed over but gota lift, once to the start, once to QE park for the coach to the start. Either way, say hello on the day (once I've found or received my number I'll post it up here).

• Travelling back from overseas late on Friday night and will then be leaving home at 0530 to make my way to QE park. So, please say hello to rather weary and tired looking soul!  

Number: Red 895.

Question for 209 Events: What time does the last coach leave QE Park for Slindon?

IIRC it was around 0800 hours last year. Could you please confirm. I have a 100+ mile journey and the extra 15/30 minutes in bed/at home would be quite useful!

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Helly - no worries.
    Train to Arundel and then cab to Slindon sounds the best option as I'll be aiming to be at QE park by about 7am!
    Let me know though. And if any of you catching the train from London want a lift back to Chichester station I can do that, just bear in mind you may be waiting a long time for me!

• Too Much Water,

I camped with my brother in the car park field last year. You will need to check what time the organisers will be leaving as they lock the gate when they go home and you wont get your car in after that time. It's quite noisy because your near the main road but the luxurry of getting up and being there already is great.

Greg

• Sean, the info leaflet says the buses run from 7-7.30 but I thought I'd read 8am somewhere