Options

Salomon South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options

Buses from 630 - 8.00 on the website

2:09 Events

Greg

• Options
    Bit disconcerting the race pack and web say different things!
  • Options

Hi All,

The last bus will leave at 8am - I think Jackie the race  director for this one wanted to make sure that happens by putting the earlier time on the instructions!

• Options
    Wondered if that was the case Mike!
  • Options

cheers Greg, i shall be going from work nr Heathrow so will hopefully be there before they go, A3 dependent.

if not the nearby village is probably a good bet for kipping in the car.

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

so Arundel is best train station to aim for then for trains down from London on Saturday morning? I can't remember from last year the name of the station but thought it was one or so beyond Arundel.

If anyone is up for cab sharing to Slindon from that station let me know

Also I have received a red number but hope to go in earlier batch of runners. I'm assuming that won't be a problem, couldn't find anything syaing it would be as definitely won't be in the prize winners and won't at best be much under the 4.30. Anyone know otherwise please?

• Options

HI QB,

You will need to come and see us at registration to change your start wave as we will need to issue a new number.

Mike

• Options
    Are entries still open?
  • Options
    Hi Kate F - entries will close on Thursday as there are still a few spots left - entry is up 25% but not reached our limit yet.
  • Options
    I'm entering this marathon as part of a relay team for the first time.  How do I find out where the drop-off points are for the various stages of the relay? Does anyone have any tips on running this event as a relay? Which are the longest/hardest sections?
  • Options

Hi Helen,

You or your team captain if someone else entered the team should by now have a pack with race numbers and 4 OS maps with the route and change over points indicated.

If you haven't please email me at mike@209events.com and I'll email the maps and details to you.

Mike

• Options
    Thanks Mike, no excuses now then.
  • Options

Hi all,

I have taken it very easy since my shocking run at Halstead where i suffered with severe stomach cramps and am hoping that Saturday will be back to normal form.

My aims was to be sub 4:30, but if i need to add 45mins to my road time (average around 4:15) there is no hope, This is the 6th installment of the year and i have been running up the toughest local hill every week for some time and will let you all know how it compares to the hills on this course.

Still time is not really that important anymore, good company and an interesting course are what i am looking forward to.

I'll be in a Macmillan vest so please do say hello got my number but can not remember what it is.

Looking forward to another challenge

Alan

• Options
    Thanks Mike, our captain does indeed have all the info.  Really looking forward to Sat!
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Just entered this today (training run for Mont Blanc marathon in a couple of weeks). Assume it's OK if I just turn up on the day and pick up my number?

Mike, if you do read this, then I'm happy to do that rather than you sending out numbers/info by mail (which may not arrive before the weekend).

Thanks
  • Options

Hi Dan,

It is likely that it will go in the post - we are posting up to Wed. If it doesn't arrive in time we will re-issue at the start.

• Options

I finally entered last week and got a call from 2.09 today to check which start I wanted.  Ann said it would go out today.

How long are the buses supposed to take to get to the start?  I did it 2 years ago and apart from my memory getting old our bus got a bit lost too.

Also, I've been trying to work out from the Saloman website the actual spacing of the drinks stations.  Can anyone help with that?  I don't think I carried extra water last time but was a bit anxious if it stays hot.

• Options
    Hi Mike, my entry has just gone in as well, looking forward to a very slow plod around, I'll keep an eye on the post too.
  • Options
    Traveling by train from London my plan is:

7.32am train from London Victoria to Arundel, arrival 9.02 am.

Cab to Slindon College, 6mi / 15 minutes / £15

Who is with me on that?

Can anyone offer me a lift on the way back?

Merci, a Samedi!

• Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

OK seems there's a couple of us coming down from London way. 

QB , were you thinking of Chichester? Slindon is half wayish between it and Arundel. Chichester probably has more cabs but that shouldn't make a difference if you've booked.

The Petersfield / Waterloo route is much quicker going back and there are two trains an hour. I'm sure a cab can be arranged from QE Park to Petersfield or even the once an hour bus should  my best efforts at lift-scrounging fail me.

Regis  - I'm not sure where Chaz is but this certainly sounds like a plan for the way down. 

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

As I've said guys - if you can wait for me to finish (allow 6 hours as I like a natter with folk at the end) then I can drop you off at Chichester station for the train back to Victoria.
    As we all know though the best laid plans can go awry and there is always the chance that I'll end up walking the second half!

We've had a welcome drop of rain on the hills today and I for one would be glad if it's like this on Saturday.

• Options
    Helen Parker 8 wrote (see)
    I'm entering this marathon as part of a relay team for the first time.  How do I find out where the drop-off points are for the various stages of the relay? Does anyone have any tips on running this event as a relay? Which are the longest/hardest sections?

Hi Helen, I did the relay last year. Was a really good event. The hardest leg is the 3rd (though think the 1st was pretty hilly too). The maps you get sent are pretty detailed though we also had a AA map as they don't completely connect up. Seem to remeber it was pretty easy to navigate (though we went down so early we drove straight past the second changover point without even noticing it (unobservent me?!image) I would suggest getting there quite early, the carparks at the chnageover points got pretty busy, particularly the last one. Other than that it was actually all pretty easy. I was quite worried before hand as we'd done the Edinburgh relay before and liked the fact you got bussed to the changover points, but it all went very smoothly and was a really good day.

Good luck everyone doing the relay and the full event (I was actually quite jealous of the finishes of the full marathon. Made me want to do it one day). Hope you have god weather again (though not too hot!)

• Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike - I'll try and get there early then to switch my number to get into the earlier start

Thanks also Helly - I'm sure you're right that I went on to Chichester last year but did book a cab in advance so could do that from Arundel.

Because of aiming at that early start I can't be with you Regis, but if anyone else is up for sharing a cab at 7.45 from Arundel station across to Slindon, please let me know

• Options
    Hi All,Keeping to my usual record of entering at the last possible minute, here I go .....

I thought I would use this as a nice training run for the Adidas Thunder Run 24Hr   later in July, is anyone else thinking of doing that as well? As I live in the area  I know what to expect in the way of hills and running the south downs which is beautiful place to train.  I see the temperature predicted for the  day is creeping up so look out for a hot one!

• Options
    Hoping this week's forecasted rain doesn't leave things really slippery on Saturday.  Have only just forgotten the quagmire that was last year's Beachy!!
  • Options
    Sould not worry to much about mud as the downs drain very very fast. So it will only be the lower parts of the race leading up to the downs
  • Options
    QBQB ✭✭✭
    that's what everyone said pre-BH last year and it was as Ultra K says a quagmire! But yes you're right, should dry off fast and drain away at this time of year
  • Options
    What are the watering holes like distance wise - I have only just entered and so have no information yet! Is anyone going to run with small back pack with water? I normally use an Inov-8 Race Pro 12 Rucksack
  • Options

As you say it should, hopefully, drain pretty quickly.  I just have very bad memories of 7.14 hours of torture at Beachy last year.  Typical the one year I have to walk most of it and the weather was dire!!

BA, I'll likely have my Deuter backpack with me.  I doubt I'll take the full 2 litres - probably only half that.  I got some of the high 5 fizzy tabs last week and had one of them on Saturday's run.  Would really have liked a better test than one run but I think they'll be more refreshing than my usual oj/water/salt combo which tends to get really cloying in the latter stages of a long one.  Will likely take a small bottle of flat coke as well as a bit of a treat towards the end!

• Options

Hi BA I remember you from the JCC thread. I did this last year and just used the water stations without any problmes and it was hot. I might take a pack this year but only because I want to test it for another race. There are 7 drink stations I don't know the exact distance but according to the instuctions:

3rd at 13 miles, 5th at 20.7 miles 7th at 23.5 miles

Drink Stations 2, 3 and are also checkpoints which also have SIS gel and drink as well as water. Oh and the water is bottled.