Salomon South Downs Marathon & 5K

123457»

Comments

• Peter: Events 2.09 have the link up for results but they are not there as yet-(
  • Am I going mad?! I can't find them yet-(
  • the results are more depressing than I expected them to be image
  • Mine show how badly I slowed down.  80 minutes from that last checkpont image
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭

My results amuse me - I had auto pause on my Garmin which shows that Hippo and I were standing still for nearly a quarter hour. This was so that she could photographs the hills we had just slogged up and video the sheep bleating at her!

Did you talk to me Bridget? Sorry if you spoke to Hippo and I ignored you - I'm a bit blank sometimes!!

I love this event and absolutely everyone who finishes 26 miles across the South Downs should be proud of themselves.
    Thanks to 2:09 for another success.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Ultra Kazaaaah! Look at it this way, you got the best value for money! image
  • i don't think I actually talked to you limper (although there was a point in the woods where hayfever was mentioned and I chipped in).  Saw you and Hippo when you arrived at first water (wearing a Fetch vest and a camlebak)
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I've seen Hipps' photos of you at the start now Sparkly. I wasn't talking much then. I was saving my energy for the next five and a half hours of non-stop natter that epitomises SD mara for Hipps and I!!
    Hope you enjoyed your day?
  • QBQB ✭✭✭

it's a great race isn't it?! Second year here and enjoyed it as much as last year - perhaps more as I set out slower to try and enjoy it even more and finished in a bit less time than last year. Managed 4.08 which is good enough, and had enough time to enjoy the views and various company.

I struggle to compare with BH as only ran that one once last year when it was damp, muddy and the visibility was so poor I could have been running through SE London rather than a beauty spot. I thought that this was harder then but now swaying the other way?

• Sounds like you had a good day limper.  It's a good race to have company.

QB, in two minds about which is harder between Beachy and SDW.  Trying to remember my first Beachy but, on balance, I'd say SDW is harder.  I remember I could barely walk after my first Beachy.  Nowadays (thankfully) it's not so bad - then again I am so slow these days that I hardly put pressure on my legs!

• Hi All,

have changed the link on the 209 website to go to the RTS home page as the results are there and not on our own section yet: www.racetimingsystems.com.

Will email everyone when the photo's go live.

• In 2008 and 2009 I came along to support my boyfriend while he ran the full marathon, in 2009 I ran the last 6 miles with him for moral support and this year I thought I'd have a go at it myself. I'm definitely not brave enough to tackle the full 26 miles so got a relay team together. CONGRATULATIONS to EVERYONE who ran the full marathon, I don't know how you did it!

I stuck to what I knew and did Stage 4 again, but did a training run on Stage 3 a few weeks ago with the team member who would be tackling it on the day ... sort of by way of apology/commiseration as I feel it is by far the hardest stage.

The course is really challenging but worth it for the views and the feeling of accomplishment.  Other runners were very friendly and supportive, and I'd definitely do it again.

However, could 2:09 PLEASE sort out the organisation at the changeover between Stage 2 and 3 for next year? In previous years I've always gone a little bit into Stage 3 to cheer on the runners, and so avoided this point - I don't know if it is always like this or if this year was exceptionally bad.

There was no communication between the marshalls, so cars were being directed up the lane to the top of the field when the carpark was full - this caused a huge tailback as everyone struggled to turn around at the top. I do appreciate how hard it must be on race day, but this simple lack of communication caused real problems for our relay team and at least a few others in the queue with us!  

We spent 20 minutes trying to find somewhere safe to drop off our Stage 3 runner, who wasn't able to get into the check point field until our Stage 2 runner had already finished. Although the few minutes difference this made to our time isn't really important, it was unnecessary stress that wasn't needed right before the ordeal of Stage 3. 

Other than that, a great day!

• Hi xine267,

We are already considering what we can do at the change overs and a quick analysis of the results show that most of the relay teams completed in less than 5hrs so changing the order of the starts may reduce congestion at the change overs.

My thoughts are:

9am - relay start

9.20am - 5hr+ wave start

9.40am - 4 to 5hr wave start

10am - sub 4hr wave start

This would mean that most relay runners would be dropped at the change over points and gone before the full marathon waves get to the change overs at CP1 & 2.

Communication we can sort out with walkie talkies for the Car Park marshals - we haven't used them in the past as mobile phones work better over the distances involved across the route but with the close proximity of CP marshals they will work perfectly well.

• Capricorn, good to see you again too. You seem to be getter faster and faster, despite the sore leg - hope it's better now btw. Agree about the choc drink at the finish - what is it and where is it sold?

Mike, fantastic day. The organisation was like clockwork - great to hear one's name announced as you neared the finish - and the course is incomparable. Am provisionally targetting the 2012 event for my 100th marathon.

• Thanks Southdownsman.

The drinks were sponsored by ForGoodnessShakes! and you can get it from most supermarkets and from their website www.forgoodnesshakes.com

Mike

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply!

I think your suggestion for setting off the relay runners at 9am, followed by the 5+ hr full marathoners would work really well. 

Part of the problem was that Stage 2 was the quickest for my team (we were 20 mins quicker there than any other stage) so we got caught up in the traffic of the full marathoner's supporters on the way to the change over at Cocking Hill. 

Walkie talkies for the carpark stewards would be a GREAT idea! image  I don't think any of my team had mobile reception at the 2/3 cross over, so it would probably be safer to rely on radios than phones.

I don't know if this is feasible (with the road closures etc), but would it be possible to keep the field for Stage 2/3 handover as a carpark and have the actual water station and changeover point a bit further down the road, a little closer towards Cocking Hill?

But all this aside, really great job with the race - my team will definitely be back again next year!

Christine

• MG2 - I would have thought that the majority of the cars belong to relay teams and therefore shifting their start time would simply shift the bulge in cars.  I found it extrememy heartening to arrive at Checkpoints with a varying number of supporters still in place for the relay teams (Checkpoint 1 sounded like it had a fottball match going on such were the cheers).  I was also completely alone (i.e. no-one else in sight) for no more than a couple of miles.  2 years ago I think the relay and slower runners started together and the sub 4.30 crew 30 minutes later (correct me if I'm wrong) and I spent far more time hauling myself up the hills in splendid isolation.  It was great to see how many people walked the uphills.

In short - a vote for the current start times image

For relay teams it might be better to use a 'leapfrog approach with more than 1 car as this allows extra time for delays on the roads between the checkpoints.  My club did this for the Ridgeway relay rather than hire a mimibus and it worked well.

• I would also vote for the current start times.  Most of the cars belong to the relay teams anyway and full marathon supporters are at the checkpoints well in advance anyway so I don't think starting the relay teams off first would help in anyway.

From a runner (jogger!) point of view, I had a lot of support from the relay runners themselves along the way as various teams overtook me and there was a bit of banter about full vs relay image.  Setting the relay off first would reduce this camaraderie - something I think was/is really special about this race.  And I have to agree that 95% of what pulled me through that last checkpoint were the spectator supporters - they were fab!

Absolutely amazing race though Mike - I am a definite for next year!

• From a marathon runner point of view (as opposed to the relay) I didn't think the marshalling was too bad.

Overall a great event, made by the weather and the views - could be miserable in the heavy rain I would think.

Good t shirt; but any chance of a beer tent at the end Mike?

• QBQB ✭✭✭

also a vote for the current start times as worked really well this year (again from a full not relay runner POV)

and also if I didn't say it earlier, well done to 2.09 team as for me a second great year at the event. Very much recommending it!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Jenks, if there was a beer tent what are the chances of them getting any of us to leave?
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭

I've done this event several times and now that the water stations have been increased I wouldn't change a thing.
    It's great. Congratulations and thanks to Mike and 2:09

Roll on next year.

• Totally agree...as a first timer I thought that the whole event was brilliantly organised. I vote for it to remain the same if you can book the weather again!
  • Fantastic event

Good support along the course, cracking weather and views.

See you all next year

• An excellent event, one that makes you glad to have been part of.

A very tough course, and my first marathon experience, excellent views, great comraderie and a great party atmosphere in the finish area.

Fairly pleased with my time, although I think I mis-judged my finish goal. In doing so I reached the half way point on target (1:50) but blew the legs out and cramped up through stage 3 and 4, so will chalk it up to experience and think about coming back for another go next year.

Mike and the 2:09 team have done a great job with this. I ran in a Salomon 10K trail event in Moors Valley last year with these guys, which was also good. These guys know how to manage these types of events. I'm sure the relay changeover / car parking snags can be straightened out.

Well done to everyone that took part, and a big thanks to everyone that came to support us all on the day.