VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• They do say everyone has a book in them... not too sure they would publish mine though....
  • Why is that then Gatton.........? I have just read eight books on marathon running and training and I am wading through Advanced Marathon Running now by Pfitzinger and Douglas.......abit above my grade but interesting reading. Enjoyed Hal Higdons book on training as well.
  • The science of running changes as time goes by....... don't forget we used to run in plimsoles and nothing to drink or eat until you got to the finish...... oh those were the days.... I don't think......I think you can over read on a subject. Just take to bits that concern you and yout journey to the finish line and enjoy....
  • Yep agreed, though I like to get lots of ideas to mull over. My parents live at Accrington near Clayton Le Moors where the great Ron Hill was from and his reminices about running a marathon with no food and drink are amazing. How the goodness more people didn't collapse from dehydration. Love the journey to the end of a race, its the journey to the start line thats the tough bit, that is one thing I have learnt from being on here the last couple of years.

Going dark and very snowy here!!!

• Have had the honour of meeting the great Ron Hill a couple of times and worked for him when he had a travel company based in Sheffield.... it was a few years ago I might add...
  • I heard him once doing an after dinner thing. He has had some bad luck with business over the years but still keeps pounding the roads and hills..................where does he live now do you know?
  • Thought he still lived in Hyde near Manchester......
  • Not far from me then, I drove through there the other day. Nice fell running area round here, going to go off road this weekend and get nice and muddy.
  • mcs I'm not a witch or anything - just think you've got good support and think you are in with a good chance. Either way the whole thing has been a really interesting experience.

I've learnt some things from the experts (tried some core work at gym today - only for about 2 mins over all as I have no core) and learnt a lot about myself too. Oh and a bit about human nature based on some of the forum comments!

Good luck! Have a good weekend... I'm running (well plodding) a hilly crosscountry dressed as an angel!

• Good run Emma doing a run with my bro in the morning bout an hour. Core is my weakness need to get doing those physic exercises now.
  • Five in the end in forty mons due to too much ice.
  • Well done mcs - so difficult and not to mention dangerous running in ice and snow. Came a cropper last year - we even had ice on the south coast!

Today we are doing the christmas tree, much excitement from two little boys going in the loft - hope social workers don't monitor this site as probably not meant to let kids up ladders and in to lofts! I used to have to stand on a stool, balance on the door knob and swing in to the loft when I was a kid - my dad was too heavy so it was always my job. We'd never get away with that now!

Thiny my costume is going to be very tricky (an annoying) to wear - didn't realise that the course was so hilly and muddy! Oopsie - wll try to get some pictures!image See already an angel!

• Have fun sounds like a great costume.
  • Eleven of cross country averaging 9.20 and keeping heart rate under 140. Probably need to be a touch slower yet but getting better.
    Two daughters and son in law went at 7.15 but I went on my own later as wanted to be strict about pacing today and ensure I was slow enough. We tend to race on the way home when we go as a group.
    What's your choice of listening if you do on Sunday runs?
  • CYCLED in to work this morning, lovely clear morning, sad to see a cow dead in the field next to the trail. Rang and told the farmer whose field it is. Hope its just a one off and not anything too serious. Such huge animals they look ungainly when laid on their backs legs in the air but when walking about they are lovely, this was a jersey brown poor thing. Tales from the Peak District and there are plenty of them. 

Popped down to the market to the fruit stall and loaded up the rucksack with oranges to keep the lurgy away as colds are being brought home from school just before they break up for school holidays!!!

Happy new week lets hope its a good one.  image

• An interesting trip into work then Mark.

The new house is taking shape.  Still lots to do and I've not even thought about Christmas shopping yet.

Take care all, its looking like its going to be a windy few days.

• Popped out for a little 5 KMS at lunch with 50K in cheques to bank I just had to go down town via a detour that is my cross country route!!! Lovely run 26 mins could just have done a bit more but work calls.............well manning the phone as too quiet here today. Roll on the 21st and finish day!!!image

Much decorating to do Suze?

• Five home doing some intervals and averaged 8.30 with some speedy 1/2 miles in there. Time for chorizo risotto. Yummy!!
  • Had a nice six miler up the trail at lunch in sunshine, abit weak and watery but defo sunshine lovely run felt strong despite running for four days in a row now.

5-11-9-6 each day since Saturday.................fitness base looking the best for a while ready to start mara training very soon.

• Keep it up Mcs.... doing well....

• Ran three miles in to work to keep the Street Running Streak going 33 miles so far in five days............why wont my phone ring..........aaaaaggggghhhhhh.......must do some work..........image
  • Nope I have given up hope!!!! Went for a little trot at lunch and going to do a longer trot home and forget le Francais......my daughter is going to Paris on Monday for a week with her cousins, one of whom has just come out of hospital after a year suffering from anorexia so she is abit anxious about seeing her for the first time for over a year. There are more important things to worry about!!! But..............
  • I didn't make it but all the best to those who did.............life goes on, have to save up for some new trainers now...............the run home will be sweet.................thanks for your support those who voted for me..........appreciate it.
  • Well its been chucking it down here and I have been moving boxes and pallets around,................hope I can keep my motivation going over the holiday period and keep the running going. I am going to crack the 4.30 in 2012 that is my New Year Resolution so if you want to keep an eye on me that would be good..................give me a message if you dont hear from me and check up that I am sticking to the schedule. Going to continue with the Hal Higdon schedule which is now in its 7th week of 30. Its a 30 week schedule for achieving peak performance and while there only 2 x 20 milers at the end of the schedule I am not going to over train this time round and not race and pull hammys as in 2010.

Must put some new batteries in the headtorch.........happy Thursday evening to all.

• Ran 4.5 miles to work in 40.50 this morning.............all on my own in the office today, very quiet folk winding down for the holidays and the bad weather doesn't help the building trade.

Have a good weekend...............image

• Ran home last night and another 3.5 super hilly, muddy cross country today. Now time for tea........Day eight of running streak and up to 51 miles since last Saturday.
  • Your doing so well Mcs dont go and over do it now...you are allowed to take a break...Bloody cold this morning so only went out for a 3 mile walk around the estate.
  • Three miles icy jog to work with daughter too, she wanted a decent run out as going to Paris today for a week with cousins. Bit dangerous under foot so being careful today, may try and get a lift home horrible, only for a tready this weather!! Happy new week to all.