Options

VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Options

Thanks Rio, will have a nose around the net tomorrw if I get the chance at lunchtime.  It sounds a much better bet than the £1450 model my local tri shop was recommendingimage

Relaxed sorry to hear you're having a bumpy ride so to speak, but lovely to see you back and please keep in touch when you can. 

Mark, hope the hip's just a blip

Bridget, don't worry, I really know the feeling, I have a "should do" list as long as your arm.  Hope everything's okay xx

Really looking forward to tomorrow night running with Rod and Pinks.  I'm still on ice but I bloody well will do this, I want to so much that it has to be okay.  I don't have it in me to have all this sh*t to put up with at work and not be able to do what I want to do, tomorrow of all days, not with being on a stretch of working 11 days out of 12.   

If I'm not around for a while it's just w*rk getting in the way, nothing important, just the stuff that finances real life, as opposed to being the stuff that really matters.

• Options

Hash my garden has been on a "should do" list for 17 years yet the grass areas outside including next doors are mowed regularly by yours truly yet they are owned by the local authority, keeping up appearances I think its called image

I'm looking forward to tomorrow too, it's only a month since we ran at yours seems like years!.

Work does get in the way but in these hard times I have today reminded myself that I am lucky to have a job  and more importantly my health, my well being comes first before anything, running has certainly helped in that department. image

• Options

Wow Rod, that was only a month ago you're right.  Feels like a lifetime.  You and me both on the work front, hang in there.

I had a bit of a bumpy moment at the Parkrun on Saturday when the two people doing the results asked me if I was the woman from Runner's World, and we had a completey cross-purposes conversation with me assuming they knew the background when they didn't.  Basically thet asked me how the marathon went, I assumed they knew more than they did so replied with "I couldn't do it thanks to being injured but it was okay because......."

I couldn't make sense of their facial expressions at the time, it was only afterwards I realised that they'd only read what's been printed in the magazine so had no clue what happened and probably thought I just couldn't be bothered to run it.  

• Options

That must have felt awful Hash image Did RW not do a review post-event to give the final chapter of the story & the result? I guess not, eh? That's pretty crap! We all know the full story anyway and that's what really counts.

Sorry to hear that work is taking up far too much of your personal time. You too, Rod. I'm in the same boat and am hoping it'll be over soon. Either that or I'll be hunting for another job. I'm not prepared to give my soul to something that is there fundamentally to pay the bills.

Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
    Lostkat is it you who is into cooking?  Someone said they had a good focacia bread recipe (the one I tried i didn't like too much) and I can't remember who it was!  Also looking for a good souffle recipe recomendation - I tried out Raymond Blancs comte cheese one yesterday - tasted lovely and very light but just didn't look the part for serving up for friends.  Also tried a new satay recipe which is fabulous, v yummy!image 
    Yes it is me and yes I did say I'd give you a recipe. Oops!! Will PM it to you on Facebook. I make it quite often. I only cooked my first souffle at the weekend (roaring success, hurrah), but I was reading Delia's Summer Collection last night and there were some twice baked goats cheese & chive souffles which sound divine & can be half cooked in advance. I could scan in the recipe if you're interested?

Anyway, morning all image Another beautiful day. Hope it stays like this. Running club tonight!!

• Options

Morning all

Hash - hope you are okay after your parkrun moment?

Like many of you work is chaos..family hetic and I have had a cold for a week now. I am fed up so may try a short run this morning.

• Options

Morning all, Happy Birthday Hash image

Lostkat my work thing is not that bad it just seems to be, I can chop and change things to suit myself so that must be good eh?

No real complaints!

So my early start is to ensure all my kit is ready for Bedford so its for purely selfish reasons I am up at this hour image

• Options

Happy Birthday Hash imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Have fun tonight in Bedford guys!

• Options

Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Hashimage!!!!!!

Work.....................AAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!.............ok feel bit better now!!  Seems we are all having a bit of a time of it right now - is it the weather or something in the water???  And it seems when I am stressed with it I can eat for England - made the ridiculous mistake of standing on the scales this morning...not good!!!  Well at least daughter finished degree exams so that is one bit of stress out the way.

Lostkat yes please to focacia recipe and also the souffle one you did at the weekend if that was a success.  I have the Delia summer collection so going to check out that recipe tonight.  Was the other one you made sweet or savoury?  I'm guessing the basic principles are the same for either?  Going to try a ginger salmon recipe tonight which sounds yummy but also, hopefully, good for the waistline!!  I love cooking and food but then just want to eat everything I've made!!

Relaxed is that your eldest giving you some fun? Male or female?  My youngest, little pinks, is 13 going on 19 and whilst a lovely natured lad he drives me to distraction as he is so laid back he is horizontal and getting him to focus on schoolwork ahead of his social life is a nightmare!!  The other two were workaholics, focused, straight A's type and this one is driving me nuts!!!

• Options
    Im.Rio wrote (see)
    So will you be joining us at Regensberg next year then Mark? image

Where is Regensberg or what is Regensberg Rio? Sorry if I have asked before, getting senior.......

My 20 year old(21 in June) and 19 year old daughters came in at midnight after being at a wedding all day. My eldest was playing the grand piano for the wedding at Hassop Hall a posh venue so was a high and stayed up till three this morning with my OH looking at pictures and chatting. Women what are they like!!!! They earn more than I do as piano teachers so not grumbling I went to sleep so I could get up early and go for a five and ahalf miler into work this morning. Bootiful day here in the Peak District. Hip seems better so happy. Managed 5.43 miles in 53.14 mins with 3kilos of roller boots in my rucksack that my youngest had sold on ebay and wanted posting off. Things we do for kids.

Hash.......you did amazing at the VLM with the support team so dont worry about what anyone thinks or says we know what you did and you were amazing so keep smiling.                Genius is nothing but an aptitude for being patient. Your day will come again I know. 

Enjoy the spring weather all.image

• Options

Pinks-he's next to the youngest. I have 2 olderchildren (26 & 28) , then 3 younger (18,16 & 15) and 2 step children (25 & 23) So he's part of a large brood! But realistically  within the three youngest he's a middle child! Being  a middle child myself I know middle child syndrome is a reality but he goes beyond that!!!! He's good a t heart and I have to hope we all get through this in one piece. All the others are very supportive and more tolerant than I could expect. Just sometimes I despair and worry for him! We are at the moment trying to get to the end of school and come out with some sort of qualifications-then we can worry about next year!!!

Sorry to go on! Feel better now!

Mark how wonderful to have musicians in the family, I can manage the piano to grade 2 level and am in complete awe of real pianists. If I had any spare time I would have lessons!

imageimageimageimageHAPPY BIRTHDAY HASH imageimageimageimage

• Options

If we knew the joy and grief kids bring us would we have them I wonder............my youngest daughter who is nine is struggling in a class of 32 kids 22 of which are boys so the noise levels are hard for her as she is quiet and shy...........what fun.............all we can do is love them and help them and keep guiding them and try to help them to be happy. Too much emphasise on achievement in school and not on quality of life in my humble opinion...........

Sorry will do some work and shut up.

• Options

I have two older ones too Relaxed, son of coming up 24 and daughter nearly 22.  I don't think the 'fun' of being a parent ever stops (my Dad tells me that and I'm the youngest of 4 and age 46, lol!!!).  Its just dealing with issues on a day to day basis and enjoying any 'ups' as and when they come along I reckon!!  hang on in there and the running will keep you sane!image

Talking of family issues..............POOHSTICKS!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry but am very very diappointed - Hash/Rod, i don't think i am going to be able to make it tonight!!!!!image  OH is in Germany and doesn't look like he will get home tonight and I can't leave little pinks for that long!!  Will know for def early afternoon so will let you know then.

• Options

Pinks you can only do what you can do.........

Talking of music the ability to be able to play an instrument or sing is a great gift IMHO.

I was able to pick up my bass guitar last thursday and run through a load of songs I hadn't played for 18 months and gig them on the Saturday with no issues and learn a few new ones too.

For those of us who are "musical" it is a great thing I know a lot of good players who do not have a lot of natural ability, those in a way are the ones I admire cos they have to work on it.

Hash most people know why you didn't do VLM so S....f them.

Catch you all later.

• Options

Morning all

Have a lovely day Hash.  That was a bit unfortunate about the Parkrun thing but these things happen.

Re the bikes - go for the best spec that you can afford as it saves you needing to either upgrade if you can or buy a new bike quite soon after getting the first.  But the most important thing is that it fits you and is comfortable for what you want to do with it!  After all the pedals will only go as fast as the legs pushing them!!!!  Gearing is important but not the be all and end all.  If anyone wants any more bike info then mail me

I can play the clarinet image  (though I haven't done it for a while)

• Options
    Relaxed - school is often not a good place for some kids.  At least these days it is not the end of the world.  He might find that college is a better option next year and the way they teach there is more condusive to his learning.  I spent a few years working in careers and the kids I loved the best were the ones that were challenging image
  • Options
    Rio meant to ask you about spin bike - not had a chance to put on one of the DVDs yet and not sure I would be up to even the shorter workout yet! So...what would be a good start?  Going to do a bit of a gym interval cardio type session tonight as can't get to the Bedford 6, and use the treadmill, crosstrainer and bike - should I do something like 1 min higher resistance and then 1 min on zero for say 10 minutes?  When I am doing the spinning bit am I aiming to turn my legs round as fast as possible?  All a bit new so just want to take slowly to start with.
  • Options

image  HAPPY BIRTHDAY  image  Hash... Hope  you have  agreat day..

Whats this about work. i am still doing the horrible night shift 6pm - 6 am and dont seem to find time to do any quality training. Not only that but it is half term again soon and all the little loves will be out and about...... Retirement is on the horizon thank goodness......image

Mark this might help...Rio will tell me if Ihave it wrong.

http://www.ironman-regensburg.de/english/default.htm.

• Options
    Thanks for that Gatton I had googled it. Are you winding me up? Are you doing  that this year Rio, honestly???? A 3.8km swim would finish me off, I could do the bike ride but then a marathon to finish off blimey...................image Wow impressive................. I should have started about 25 years ago on this getting fit lark.................
  • Options

Eeeek - Mark she's trying to lead you astray, you'll be wearing yellow next!image

Thanks for all the birthday wishes.  Pinks I really hope you can make tonight, fingers crossed, but if not then see you at the next one.  Hope both our work stuff calms down soon, you too Lostkat

See you later Rodimage

Rio thanks and yes please I'd love some help on the bike front.  I'm after a road bike, I've already got an old boneshaker that will wobble over the fields to the pub and back, and preferably a nice light one that will be a bit less of a struggle to hoof up and down the hills than the one I've got at the moment.  Maybe even a duathlon or two if I really get into it, who knows.  According to the local tri shop I need a 54 cm frame, and the one I really fancy is this.  Sadly there are 1449 good reasons why I can't have one.......  There must be places where you can get second hand, but as I have no idea what to look for it's a bit of a minefield.

Relaxed, hope he works his way through xx

And with that, back to the coal face. 

*waves*

• Options

Blimey Hash thats a coincidence I have been lusting over this one here...........

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/madone/madone45/

My local bike shop has one in and I had a ride on it Saturday.  The Boardman Carbon Frame ones are cheap but the halfords shop gets a slagging off on most of the forums I have looked at which is abit off putting.  You can get one for 999.........carbon frame.......... Any way I shouldn't really as I have funding issues!!!

• Options
    Mark.... we could always do an Ironman relay somewhere between us all.
  • Options

Mark I am going to do Regensberg next year.  Did Switzerland last year and IM and I have things to discuss over time limits!!!

Hash that is a fab bike but even second hand you are not likely to get that for much less.  Bikes (like everything else) you get what you pay for to some extent.  I am surprised the bike shop put you on a frame as big as 54.  How tall are you?

Mike Halfords gets a slating I agree but the Boardman bikes are really good value for money and you can always take it to your LBS for check ups etc.  The next model down from the carbon gets good reviews too.  If you are going for carbon you really do need to look at 1K or the spec wont be that hot.  Gear mech wise you are looking for either shiman0 105 or ultegra or campagnola (but they are usually a bit more expensive again as are SRAM)

• Options

Hi Thanks for all your kind words, I've dried my eyes now!image Rio I'm hoping that things will improve when he leaves school, he has a conditional place at a college doing a sports course (he loves rugby) and I'm hoping this will help him..

Sorry I'm babbling on again image

Bikes image I love my bike but its only a bog standard road bike! Cost about £300. Its quite heavy really but It will have to do image Rio will it make a great difference being heavy at my level at Bala?? Am hoping to do Bala in between 31/2 -4hrs. Any quicker I will be delighted. Any slower and hey ho hopefully I'll still be smiling image

• Options

Relaxed.............is that 31 to 32 hours no sorry must be 3 and a half to four hours. Is that for the bike ride section or all of it. The course record for ladies is 4.18 so you must be good!!!! Good luck in June. Busy that day so cant make it!!! The 2km swim how fast do you do that in??? Seriously, interested in how fast you guys do that in. Probably take me about 80 minutes at the moment........Is the bike section hilly? I would imagine it is round Bala.

• Options

Firstly - HAPPY BIRTHDAY HASHimageimage

Had a nice afternoon off yestarday, and got out for a 5km run.  Well its was more of a 2.5km flat out, 0.5km walk while trying to keep down the nutritional meal of two bags of crisps I had for lunch, and finishing off with a further 2.0km flat out.  Despite having to walk for part, I managed an unoffical PB by 20 seconds.  Possibly not the most ideal of training sessions but I've set myself a target of running the Lonon Bupa 10km at the end of the month Sub 56mins - I know most of you can do that easily but I'm not the speediest of runners.

Wore the skort again and still really liking it. 

Have a great time at the 10km tonight Rod and Hash, and Pinks if you make it. 

• Options

LOL Mark - no thats just the bike!!! I haven't done it before so I'm having an educated guess at how long it will take me. The bike course looks hilly to me, Rio will know how hilly. Now the swim-in the pool I would hope to do that distance between 40 and 45mins, I haven't done much OW swimming and I find it really hard and seem to be much slower, so I'm hoping 45-55 mins will see me round. And the run............now that I have no idea cos I've never tried to run that far after cycling over 50miles!!! Normally I'd hope to be around 2hours for a half marathon so how much longer it will take is anyones guess! This is all new to me, I did a sprint triathlon last year to see if I wanted to give this a go, so I really don't know what to expect......except a novel way of celebrating my 50th birthday! image

Suze well done on the unofficial PB. 56mins is a really good time  good luck I'm sure you can do it image

Have a good run tonight Hash and co. 

• Options
    Hash and Rod - not looking good for me tonight but if the wind changes I will be there, candle at the ready for you to blow out! Have a fantastic time and tell me all about it later.

S**t really hitting the fan at work and I'm just not the sort of person who can deal with confrontation without taking it all personally so its incredibly emotionaly draining - I could do with a damn good run to sort my head so I would have probably flown tonight!! If you see Kim and Karen and Elaine can you please say hi to them from me too!!

Suze you are doing grand and 56 is a fast time but you can do it!!

Relaxed that sounds a brilliant way to celebrate your birthday!
  • Options

hi everyone

I don't get much chance to pop in cos of work - boo!

happy birthday Hash imageimageimage

relaxed - I too have a troublesome teen - he's 18 now and has been giving me grief for - it must be - 18 years! he's on a college course too as he didn't work at his GCSE's - he can cause such stressimage
    and then there's elderly parents - gah!

I think you're really brave going for Bala - i hope you have a great timeimage. I did a couple of sprint tri's but have given up on the cycling, just doesn't seem to fit into my life schedule

good luck suze!

I did a marathon at the weekend - Windermere - with  2 pals from the WAIS thread - we run/walked the whole way and had a great time - my friend's 1st and she was really please with our time of 5:20.image

• Options
    Hands up for another troublesome Teen.  One year of sixth form, now in second year of college but still not really working at it
  • Options

Happy Birthday Hash! image