VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Oooh thank you everyone image I feel much better for having shared and knowing I'm not alone is comforting image

Toublesome teen went to rugby tonight with a new club. Fingers crossed it helps.

Pinks if the confrontation get to you, think about your fantastic acheivements and wonder how many other people could do what you do. Then feel sorry for them because you're soooo much better image

Jenni my parents are getting to that age too! And I'm the only one of three children who lives near them!! I love them to pieces (as I do troublesome teen!) but.............image

Have had a good session tonight - spin class, 5k on the treadmill and 50 lengths swim image Not the right order but I feel better now image

Looking forward to hearing about the birthdy runimage

• Pinks...... my dear friend. use the confidence you gained from the VLM to put any problems to one side and think positive....

Relaxed .. I have a teenaged granddaughter and she is a dream . But no doubt she will be problematical as she gets older.

• Morning all

Relaxed, Bridget, Jenni, sorry to hear about the troublesome teens.  I can't imagine - it's hard enough keeping a house and a job going and I really have no idea how you do it.  

Pinks really sorry you couldn't make it last night, and to hear about the work stress.   Hell really is other people sometimes, isn't it? Not sure if they're people you work with all the time, or people you're dealing with temporarily, but hope it's the latter. I was wondering if you and your OH fancied a meet up and a natter at the Sandy Ghandi sometime, as it's sort of ish half way between us?  Will drop you a line when things calm down a bit for both of us.

Last night was pure therapyimage  The run started from one of the places I laid a water stop for the VLM training run that I coudn't do, poddled gently through a woodland track down to the other water stop at Danish Camp that I remember limping down three months ago.  Loved it loved it loved it, goodbye gremlins.  Finished in 53.49 which will do nicely, and sooooo nearly did a Gwyneth Paltrow crossing the line!  Lovely to see Rod and Kim again, although I did get told off for holding up the finishers by hugging and yakking across the tape before I'd even gone through the finishimage

• Well done Hash and a time I can only dream of.image  Looking forward to hearing how Rod got on.  Think Bridget had a good 5km race last night too.

Gym class tonight and I know it will be a hard one as my instructor has been on holiday and she likes to take her holiday indulgences out on us.

Have a good day everyone - hump day Wednesday, the weekend is getting nearer.

• Morning all

Hash - well done on your race...sounds like you are back on track!

Very busy here...work and family chaotic as ever! I was going to run this morning..but got to work, where I usually park before heading to the sports centre..,.realised I had let my handbag at home. Had to go all the way home and back and now no time to runimage

My sympathies for anyone with teenagers..I have three chidlren 15, 13 and 10. Mostly they are great but there have been some teenage issues and I'm sure there will be more. the hardest thing is biting your tongue and letting them make mistakes....and knowing when to intervene. 

Anyway...hope today is a good day for everyone.. 

• Good running Hash keep it going fantastic................image
  • Hash thats awesome!!  Brilliant time and sounds like the whole thing did the trick for you!image

The work thing was someone I worked with all the time but now they are effectively temporary - leaving end of next month but its the fall out that goes with it that has been so v v stressful!!!  Anyway I so needed to run last night which made me more stressy so little pinks dragged me out the door for a 1 mile warm up then made me do an hour with him in the gym - 20 mins of 400m intervals on the treadie, similar on cross trainer using the different modes 1min on 1min off then 15 mins on the spin bike same and then arm weights, abs and cool down.  it was great - I sweated for England and had the music blasting and it did the trick!!

Suze I love that hump day Wednesday expression, not heard that before!!

• Suze is right that I had a good 5K last  night with 2 targets accomplished.  Number 1 was a PB, number 2 was sub 27.  I even wrote the 27 min splits on my arm!

Result = 26.58 image

• Way to go Hash!!!!!!  Fantastic.  Hoped you would come back stronger after the enforced rest.  So you see something positive always comes out of something negative image

Relaxed - having a heavier bike will make a difference at Bala.  It is quite hilly but it depends on what you are used to by way of hill training.  There is one shortish steep bit close to the start and on the return leg there is one long drag uphill which is not oversteep but does go on a bit.  You will gain on the downhills though with the bike being heavier.   More important is that it is a bike you are comfortable on.

Last year I did the bike leg in about 3:30ish but expect to be nearer 4 hours this time round.  The run I think as a general rule they say add about 30 minutes to your pb and you should be ok but the run leg is only 12 miles and flat (and boring and possibly windy and exposed too)

Whatever happens you will have a fab birthday and a new pb to your name imageimage

• Yaaaay Rio image a birthday PB will be mine!!! image Is the run really flat? I was told it had a steep hill in it?! Sometimes wind can be worse than hills - unless its behind you, then its good! image I am really looking forward to it even tho' I keep having wibbles!!!!! I would like to get a 50+ cycle ride in beforehand, finding time to do everything is the hardest part!!!

Last night I did spin class, 5k on treadmill then 50 lengths swim. I am really tired today and am thinking about binning the planned cycle + run, but I know I will feel guilty at weekend cos I will be having 2 enforced days off!

SB well done on the PB imageimage

• Oh Relaxed it does have a steep hill in it.  I was getting mixed up with the Vit.  Yes a lot of the first half is up if I remember now but the good thing is a lot of the end is down.  I made a plan of running 5 and walking 1 which I pretty much stuck to despite the hills

I know I am not going to get much in the way of long stuff in in the next couple of weeks so I am going to try to make sure what I do is really quality stuff - either fast or hilly.   Head out and see how you feel.  Sometimes the thought of getting out there is harder than the actuality of it but be prepared to bin it if it doesn't go according to plan!

I forgot to say I did my 30 mile bike ride on Saturday and was just starting off down a nice steep hill where I usually let the bike roll (can get up to 35mph at this point) and there was a herd of cows in the road!!!   I did manage to get the brakes on in time but it was a little hairy.  Glad the weather was not wet or I would have slid into them!!

• Hi All,

Firstly well done Hash on the run, you made it by the skin of your teeth which was great I thought maybe the 4 letter word beginning with w had got in the way image

And thanks for the beer afterwards that tasted very good after a hard run.

Bridget well done on your PB fantastic.

It was a good race at Bedford, was really good to go back over the route we did Pinks training run on.

I got there miles early as I had to pop somewhere else on the way, had a wander round the athletics stadium, what a fantastic facility and so many people there training, I did feel old mind looking at all those kids image

Anyway the race was as expected, I always go into these with an open mind and last night was no exception. I have realised that there is no real time to have a steady first 2 miles best get to the required pace and stick at it hopefully.

I had a pretty good run really all things considered, Sundays 10 mile run didn't seem to affect me at all.

results were.

6.06 miles 47.30 average pace 7.50

Splits 1 mile @  7.55

1 mile @ 7.57

1 mile @ 7.52

1 mile @  7.55

1 mile @ 7.48

1 mile @ 7.38

0.06 miles @ 6.29

Pretty consistent miles I was aiming for 8.00 but after 2 miles around that 7.52 seemed  ok so I stuck at that, I didn't think I would see the day I could do all sub 8 minute miles over that distance but it was a flat course and still too.

I am very pleased really.

Off road at the club tomorrow night for me.

I do like running in Bedford I always seem to go ok, there were some fast people there mind image

• Ermmm...that'll be MY FAULT for holding you up Hash - I mean, what did they expect, I never got my Marathon Hug babe, I was hardly gonna let you get through without giving me one then image

WELL DONE HASH! I did a Gwyneth for you when you came through, I caught Rod who told me you were about to come through - I ran to the line and SCREAMED out your name, much to the dismay of the old cronie standing next to me image - Ah, well who cares?! It was too emotional to miss - So very proud of you holding it together and yep, demons laid to rest, huh?

Rod, well done too honey - so glad to get a hug from you as well. You did awesome!

Bridget - so glad to see you at Silverstone with Rod - you did really well there image

My demons have been finally laid to rest after Bedford race last night too - I pulled up at Silverstone halfway as my calf was hurting but if truth be told I alsothink a mixture of heavy legs and total exhaustion were playing a part as well and my mental state just wasnt right.

I managed to do the race last night in 46.06 which I was estatic about - 6th place in my age category and next lady in from  my club after Elaine (who done 41.04) so really, really pleased as I beat all the young 'uns too image It means I get to stay with my current coach in the faster group as well so I'm really happy..

Hash hit me with her broom and told me to get back over here and I realise how much I've missed you all so will endeavour to keep back up to date here! 

Will go back and read some but hope everyone is doing ok (catch most of you on FB) and there are not too many injuries. My next goal is the NSPCC Half Marathon in Milton Keynes in July and I have to try and beat my 1.58 PB of last year so got 10 weeks to plan and try my best!

• Hello image

Been away on a well needed and impulsive holiday to visit sweet mum. Seems like most of you done some good running whilst I've been away.

Hash - a belated happy birthday wish.

Suze - Any skort news?

Hash and M S 2 - The knee is much better think I might dare a slow plodding run on Friday image

Flew back yesterday and came back to a green, warm and sunny London, think I have fallen in love with London again image

• Morning all welcome back Zaba sounds like you have had a nice holiday, its always nicer to get back to the sunshine too image

And Kim welcome back you had a stonking run and Hash deserved a welcome over the line scream, some people have no sense of humour image

Regarding your HM in July, looking at some of your runs I would say you are a bit faster than me on most given days, that PB will go for sure, I don't know how many halfs you have done but if you want me to mail some of my old stats over let ,me know, I have learnt a lot from last years efforts, I would love someone to benefit from my limited knowledge1

Off to work now so catch you all later.

• Morning - bit achey across the shoulders from my gym class, knew it was going to be hard going back after a month off.

Zaba - worn the skort several times now and find it really nice to run in.  Thinking of letting it make its race debut at the end of the month.

• Woweeeeee Kim Rod and Hash you were BRILLIANT!!!!!  Excellent times from all of you - what is the secret and what have you guys all been eating/drinking, I want some!!!

Kim I agree that mental state can really have an effect................work has just been awful the last week or so and it was taking its toll.  I had a lovely 6.5 steady run after work Monday and a killer gym/cardio session Tues night with litlle pinks but last night i was HOPELESS!  Went for just over 6 miles and my friend and I had to walk about 5 times!!! Legs were heavy, no energy, you name it! BUT I feel better today and had a good nights sleep and its another day - onwards and upwards!!image 

• Pinks............. remember that rest is a great training aid........Your body is the best machine ever built and it lets you know in no certain terms when it has had enough and needs some time out.... listen to it..... ignore it at your peril......

Apart from that I am just so glad you have gained so much confidence over the past few weeks

• Thanks Gatton - and yes am learning to listen more (hence the walking breaks last night) although I recognise my head is still more strong willed than my legs!!  And I guess its not even 4 weeks yet since VLM so that marathon will still be in our legs!
  • Pinks I can only speak for myself regarding getting my required time, the other night I felt ok had eaten or drunk nothing different than normal really, I did have chicken nuggets and chips about 4.30 pm and my usual water.

My Garmin is set in mile splits but I use the cursor so I can view the time and exact pace for that particular split. So if I am too slow I speed up or too quick I slow down.

Believing you can do it helps too, I know from previos runs that I can always achieve around 8.00 mm so I tried to stick at that, it seemed to be ok at around 7.55 so that was what I aimed for. That bit of a hill I sort of attacked so I didn't slow down, once I got to 5 miles I just maintained the pace and upped it a bit the last half mile to ensure an ok time, I was a bit tatered by then though.

I found it better being more consistent in pace, your marathon splits were awsome which sort of proves the theory image

• Wish my head was as strong as my legs.  My head always gives in first!

Off for a mega swim session tonight.  I expect to be mashed when I am finished.  And have to cycle to work tomorrow.  think my bag is going to weigh a ton as it is full of paperwork and that is before I put clean clothes in and lunch image

• Ah yes Rio that is the thing image The other night I ran with a guy who trounced me in the last Kilometre of a race at Stratford, most impressive it was, the other night he was at Bedford with his wife , now at the previos race I had caught him up and thought"ah I will get past now" as you do, no chance image

This time we had a chat and a laugh about that, this time I kept right ahead of him till the last half mile. I was by then a bit tired and my head said I couldn't do it, I had nearly caught the lady up too as she had tpo walk up the one hill, in the end I sort of gave in but not straight away. My legs were strong too its that running at the high heart rate that is the thing!

Good luck with the swim and cycle, you are set to storm Bala!

• Hello Hello!!!

Brief catch up sound like everyones well getting out there and running lots.... Excpet me.......

Had a very busy couple of weeks and looks like works set to get even more busy shortly!! 

Really struggling to get out the door at the moment only done 3 runs since the marathon!  Someone please get the rolling pins out!!! Am off on Sunday so going to try and get out and have a plod round hampton court and the river to see if nice scenery inspires me!!!

But I have got a place for Brighton Marathon 2011 for when I get a big fat no from the London Brighton- so guess this marathon thimg is addictive as already mulling over how  I will train differently this time around!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine!!

• Hey Vikk!! How are you babe?!

I looked at Brighton too but bl**dy heck, its kinda expensive at £45 isnt it?!

Not sure what I'm doing yet apart from helping my work friend Jon, train for the Run to the Beat Marathon, so I'll be down there watching you and Suze take part and cheering you on!!!

• Club handicap run for me tonight so another hard session.  3.5 miles of road, track, towpath and fields with the odd hill thrown in.  Best mile was 8.40 (first one, long downhill) worst was 10.34 (3rd mile, long uphill on gravel which I walked).  Overall pace 9.45 image
  • Great run SB image Well done.

Kim - how speedy are you?!! Fantastic time image Go girl image

Hash so good to hear great results from you too image You deserve it well done image 

And well done to everyone else too! Great running going on. This thread seems to be helping everyone to keep the enthusiasm which is so easily lost after the marathon! So KEEP IT UP!!! imageimageimage

I'm having to have an enforced rest due to some stupid man driving into my car yesterday image Good news is ony stiff and achey nothing too serious apart from very bad timing!!! And bad driving on his part!image My car wasn't as lucky tho' and isn't driveable image waitin for a hire car today.

Off to Edinburgh for the weekend to support my daughter in the marathon. Its her first one. She's hoping for around 5hrs but looks like being a hot one so finishing will be an acheivement image

Enjoy the weekend everyone and good luck to anyone racing image

• Morning all, did the club night yesterday 6 miles mainly off road, those grassy fields are hard tom run across image We had a talk afterwards by Andy the physio who dealt with my injury which was really interesting, its a little quiet on here which means everyone must be busy at work or enjoying the good weather, I have to go to work later so am having an easy morning, it was hot out there last night even at 7pm!
  • Hi all, not long till we can start the weekend.  I've just dashed over to Borough market and got some kangaroo burgers and ostrich steaks for the first BBQ of the year - the only time of the year that the OH takes an interest in cooking, men and fires!!

Had a bit of a flash back as I crossed over the road which runs from the Tower of London to the embankment.  I've not been down to the river since the 26th and it bought back several memories, one especially of shouting out to Liz as I ran past her at the Lucozade station. 

Relaxed - hope you get the car sorted and good luck to your daughter at Edinburghimage

Just a few bits to finish off at work.  Hopefully get out for a run tomorrow.  I'm going to the Darts at Wemberly on Sunday and got Monday off to recoverimage

Have a good weekend everyone!!!!

• Is that Darts the 'sport' or Darts the band?
  • Bridget,  its Darts the sport - well some argue its not a sport but its good fun.  It's my friends birthday and the beers should start flowing early afternoon.image