The Middle Ground

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks DT. I looked back at my training log from the autumn, and didn't manage a 3 mile session at that pace (and with that consistency) until about 5 weeks before target race. I am currently about 12 weeks from target race, so hopefully am a bit ahead of the game.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Did a short intervals session last night. After 2 miles warm up I did 4 reps of 400m off 60 seconds recovery. Got the paces all over the place to start with, and finished with average pace for the reps around 6.15mm. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Stretched the long run to 8.5 miles this afternoon. Bang on 9mm pace again. Felt good.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Going well, Andrew. 

17 today. Had a few beers last night. Literally just 3 bottles but i think that was enough to make this a bit of a trudge today. 
  • Time I posted!

Good progress, AD! Are you going to continue to increase the long run? At some point, probably 80 to 90 minutes I would be inclined to have that as your max, assuming that your max race is 10k; I would then start to try to cover more distance in the time, perhaps by running the last couple of miles slightly quicker, and then the last 3 miles, and then the second half: hope you follow me! Or push a little harder for ten minutes, then 15, then 20 etc.
    And how are the stretches coming along?!

Hope the knee is progressing, Dan.

Steady progress here: last three weeks have been 32, 34, 37 kilometres with a long run of around an hour, largely off road. Several parkruns but not run hard, and wearing lots of gear! Have run them progressively and have all been in the 24 to 25 minute range with the quickest being on the hardest course! Not the time of year for running quickly, and also still having to nurse various niggles. Aiming for 40k this week: sticking very much to the not increasing by more than 10%. Will probably have a period of consolidation once I hit 45 or even 40. Nothing "fast" as yet because of the niggles.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Alehouse - I am planning another couple of 8.5 mile LSRs (yesterday's took 76.30) and then I've pencilled in at least three 9 milers. I have also got a couple pencilled it at 8 miles, but including 2 or 3 miles at MP rather than LR pace. Hopefully that covers it all! Large parts of my LSRs are off-road at the moment too, and fairly hilly. Still drawing a blank on stretches though, I'm afraid to say!

Sounds like you are making decent progress. Beware the niggles though!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sounds a decent plan, AD! And yes, am being very aware of the niggles! 
    Are you able to run any of your runs in company? Makes it so much easier. I am managing to do most of my "long" runs with an M73 neighbour. He's probably slightly fitter than I am at present and when I get to the same level as he is it will ensure that I don't push too hard. We talk for the whole way and the time goes much more quickly than on my own. 

And stretch!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

No, all my runs are solo runs. I don't mind it actually, it allows me some peace in amongst a busy life!

Two days rest and I am now looking forward to my session tonight. Stretching the tempo block to 3.5 miles, which is where it will stay for a couple of weeks before increasing to 4 miles nearer race day (and possibly 4.5 miles for one session if I'm feeling good).

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Paces were a bit off for the first mile or so, but pulled it back. Tempo mile paces were 7.15, 7.10, 7.08 and 7.08 pace for the half mile. 7.10 average, which was about spot on target. Bloomin cold out, and I have a cold too so perhaps not optimal conditions either so I’m happy with that even if it did feel like hard work by the end!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes thats good going, Andrew. 

Good to see you progressing, Alehouse. 

6 at recovery Monday, 10 x 1k at threshold yesterday off 1 minute (quite hard) and then a pretty easy 12 tonight. The toughest part was forcing myself out in the cold and dark to do it. 

Recovery 4 tomorrow. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - interesting with the 10 x 1k threshold session. Do you think this has more benefit than a shorter continuous threshold run? I suppose you get more volume in.

5 mile recovery planned for this afternoon/evening.

Jgav - hope all is good? Have you managed to venture out for a run yet at all?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well i suppose it doesnt take as much out of you as 6 miles at threshold, which i would find impossible on my own. 1 minute isnt very long but it's just enough time to recover the hr and allow me to train properly for the rest of the week. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I agree it would be much easier than 6 straight miles at threshold, but what about compared to, say, 4 straight miles at threshold?
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Another intervals session on Friday (same as last week, similar average pace but more evenly paced) and then another 8.5 mile long run this afternoon. Quite muddy and windy, so harder work than last week but enjoyable still!

Bit of a cutback week planned for this week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    When's the next race, Andrew? Youre getting a decent block in. 

17 Friday with 6 easy, 4 at mp, 2 easy,v4 at mp and 1 easy. 

Just a very easy 5 today. If i do as planned next few days then January will be my highest ever mileage month. Weather looks like it could interfere this week however. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - next scheduled race isn't until the beginning of April. My plan has 6 more full training weeks, and 3 cutback/taper weeks. I'm currently training at the level that I normally reach at the end of my training block, so hopefully the extra weeks will help me to smash my pb (all being well!).

That Friday run looks heavy!

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    First day back at work and a 6 mile lunch run to boot.  First one since pre-baby!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done JGav - how did the run feel?

Looks like this week is going to be one of those 'struggling to juggle runs around the manky weather and icy pavements' ones!

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    The run felt hard, felt like puking and the legs are mostly wrecked today.  That's what 2 1/2 weeks off does!!!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, for me there's scope to get a couple of parkruns in there if life allows. Will give you a proper idea of where you are at, a good training effect and racing is just fun as well.

J'gav, in times of difficulty I always try and get something in every 2 or 3 days, even if it is just a few miles easy. If I don't run for a week, I ache loads during the first week back.

Session over lunch of 2m at hmp (90) 1mile at 10kp (3 mins) then repeat twice. First set at hmp possibly felt the toughest of them all. Possibly not fully warmed up, though I did go 2 miles. Reps came in-

6.19, 6.23, 6.05

6.09, 6.22, 6.05

6.13, 6.19, 6.09

I was pretty tired, wet and cold by the end I must say!

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I did try @DT19 every time I mentioned it I got daggers.  I'll get back out tomorrow for another run and will be back at not aching soon enough.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well, after a couple of days off which were probably well needed as I have had a cold/cough for the past few days and probably needed the rest to help shake it off a bit, tonight's session will be a pared down tempo session reflecting the fact that this is a bit of a cutback week. SO I have planned 3x1mile at tempo with 60 second rest breaks in between. Target pace is 7.04 for short tempo intervals according to my VDOT calculations. Hopefully it will not be too icy on the pavements.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    That would be a pretty solid tempo run AndrewD.

I managed 7 miles at lunch - felt much better than Monday even though legs hadn't fully recovered.   
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    The 3 miles at tempo actually came in at a 7.00 average pace. Felt quite controlled which was good. Bloody cold though!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Need to get my trail shoes and get out in the snow before it turns icy/sludge.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds decent, Andrew. Wont be long and they'll be coming in sun 7mm.

It'll come back quickly enough, JGav. Just need to get over that initial hump!

12 miles last night at easy pace gave me 227 for January which is my highest ever by 9 miles. Good  to month 1 of 4 of the vmlm training with a decent array of quality sessions in there as well.

• Great mileage DT - don't know how you find the time (or energy!).

5 easy for me last night, took me to 92.5 for the month, which is the best month I've had mileage-wise since Feb 2016!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well done on January's totals DT, and good to see you back to it, JGav!

5 easy for me last night (in 27 minutes including warm up and down*) took me to 167** for the month, which is the best kilometrage since May 2017.

* (on the anti-gravity treadmill at 90%)

** 103.77 miles. Would like to see you over the 100 by March, AD! February is three days shorter!

Any news about the knee, DrDan?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    There's also the 4.5 hours spent in spin classes. Its easier now my kids are a bit older and my wife works from home. At our gym they do various kids sessions on week nights and all over weekend which they really enjoy and it allows us all to do something without eating into day or evening completely. Plus an understanding employer!

Energy comes from turning my phone off as a rule at 10pm and taking it nowhere near my bedroom so enabling 8 hours sleep. Plus a reasonably decent diet. 

Decent going Alehouse!

Long run done yesterday. 5 easy then into a session of 4 at mp, 2 easy,4 at mp. Followed by 2 easy. Just cruised along at around 6.50 for the mp miles. 

Im on 59 for week and highest ever mileage is 64. Nothing scheduled today, however the desire to run tomorrows easy 6 at recovery and rest tomorrow is overwhelming!
  • Did you resist the urge DT?!

6 for me today to round off a cutback week of 20 miles. Slightly sore calf this weekend, so I took it a bit cautiously today but it felt ok through the run.

Alehouse - yes, 100 miles pcm is the plan! Probably not until March though, as you say.