The Middle Ground

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'll  do well to run much more with our itinerary. 

18.40 at parkrun today. Not a great performance throwing in towel at half way when pb pace started slipping and i felt beaten.

Work to be done post holiday. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Sub 19 is still not bad but you do set yourself high expectations. 

My 'long run' in Saturday was an 18k, so not ideal but this week will be better.  Planning a 30 for next weekend.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    1500m swim last night (realised I have a tri in under 4 weeks and I haven't swum a length since May)

15k this morning up the Thames path and past Reading Festival which is currently being setup.  Did the middle 5k at MP or quicker and the last 2k around HM pace.  It all felt manageable but I just don't feel confident on my longer runs, really need to get them in consistently from now to Bournemouth.  
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    16 miles early Sunday morning - really struggling with the longer runs, I suspect that the heat isn't helping. 

Ordered a trail vest and some soft flasks to try out, hoping it's just dehydration.  Feel that I really need to hit 20 miles this Sunday - I only have 2 more long runs planned before taper.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, can i suggest you try the maurten 360 drinks before long runs with a view to using them raceday. I think they are a nutritional game changer. Also hydration in advance.

Ticking along on hols. Short runs every few days, just 3-4m but at 7.50s. At 9am its 30 plus but the feels like is 40 plus due to humidity so its quite an effort doing that. Just keeping it together so i can just pick it up when home. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @DT19 is that stuff just expensive sugar and salt?

I've been hydrating as best I can with electrolytes the night before and some water in the morning but I do normally run first thing and fasted.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, no its a huge carb hit you take before a big run, just as a drink. All the elites use it now. It's  the nutrional equivalent if the vaporfly 4%. if like me you struggle to eat on big race mornings this is great. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Just saw the price - they'd better be rocket fuel :-) 

If I can get some to try out then I'll give it a go.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, they are really good. it's  80g of carbs. You have to eat a lot of food to get that much in you, more than you could the morning of a mara. 

I just bought 5. 1 for race day and 4 to practice on long runs with. It's a small cost to get the best out of a race you've invested 4 months in. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Hope all is good for you all!

My training has been sidetracked even further by the arrival of our second daughter earlier this week! Think it will be a further few days before I get out for a run!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Any excuse, AD! And congratulations to all concerned!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Since my last back update (fractured sacrum, July 20th) have had a host of issues! 
    The MRI scan had indeed revealed that the sacrum had been fractured, but also found another area that needed further investigation and had a nuclear radiation bone scan. This was not fun! Had radioactive dye injected and then had to sit around drinking lots of water for three hours before around an hour and a half in the scanner!
    Got the results around a week later and the issue from the original scan was not an issue at all; however a further area of the spine needed further investigation so I had to go for an x-ray. 
    Results a few days later revealed that the problem area was just some residual bruising, probably from being knocked over. So all good on that front. 
    However...one of my hamstrings has been playing up and the consultant believes that because of the damage to the sacrum my glutes haven't been firing properly and this has had an impact on the hamstring. Have been managing a couple of kms a day but that is becoming more and more of a struggle. Physio on Tuesday!
    Had planned that August would be a big month training-wise: the opposite has been the case. 
    Hope you get those long runs in, JGav!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Congrats AndrewD enjoy whatever running you can fit it but baby and mummy come first for now.

Heal fast Alehouse

And yes, I just got back from a 20.  Great route down regents canal and then along the Thames to Hyde Park.  Legs appear to be ok and I feel like I could go out running now just 90 mins later. Good sign I think. Olympic Tri next week then one more 20+ before I start to taper.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Andrew. At least the cricket season is almost over. 

Alehouse, sounds like a messy injury situation. Hope you get fixed at physio.

Last day of holiday today. Been a bit edgy this last few days as this hurricane at one point was due to deliver a direct hit by tonight and the airport announced it was closing etc. Fortunately it's slowed and now looking to not make land, so flight is on tomorrow. 

Managed to run 6 of 13 days. Found a 2 mile loop within my complex which i do as a 4 mile run. Started out slow at 7.50s but progressed that through holiday so pushing pace out more each time, finishing today with a 6.57 average, however in mid 30s heat, by hr i was working at tempo effort. Should allow me to just pick things straight up as soon as I'm back. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    That's pretty consistent for holiday running DT19.

4 Easy miles this morning, legs complaining a little and I feel a bit run down.  Need to keep up momentum for the next two weeks because then it's taper time.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes quite pleased to have got that much in given we were on 12 hour theme park days. We were doing 20000 plus steps a day without a run. 

Yes, it's meant to feel tough now at the very peak end. My coach wont do mp runs in last few weeks as he thinks that it leads to doubt as the pace doesn't come as easy as you think it should which starts playing with your mind. 
  • JGav, I was more or less going to say what DT wrote! I would expect the legs to be complaining at this stage! You should currently be running on tired legs most of the time. That's why the taper is needed!

No physio today: she contacted me to say that she needs a full hour with me, which will be tomorrow. Whilst I am keeping an open mind the hamstring issue may well be sciatica related. Will just see what she thinks and take it from there. 

And welcome back, DT!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

How did physio go, Alehouse?

Went out Tuesday for a 10 miler, mainly to try and stay awake. Yesterday It all caught up with me and I was shattered so ditched the planned 4m and will carry it to Friday's rest day. Easy 6m planned today.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Physio confirmed what the consultant thought. The sacrum fracture has caused the glutes to misfire, with the consequence that the hamstring is compromised. Lots of glute exercises.
    On way to get cold or wet at Old Trafford for two days of the ashes.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 I'm also struggling with tiredness but it's work related not running.  Just about managing to keep ticking over (4 mile and 5 mile done so far this week) with long stuff at the weekend to compensate - not ideal really.
  • Well, I managed to get out for 3 miles this afternoon. It was a bit slow and the legs felt a bit wobbly by the end, but it felt good to be out and running at all!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It is what it is, jgav. Just do what life allows! 

Well done on getting out, Andrew. 

Alehouse, hope you enjoyed the cricket/Aussie batting masterclass!

Easy 6 yesterday and then 4 this morning. Nice cool Autumn conditions today. It was perfect running. 

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Woburn Oly tri yesterday - not swum or cycled much so was treating it as a warmup to a 10k mara paced run.  Managed to hold 4.58m/km for the run mostly comfortably - just some cramping near the end.  Planning a MWL tomorrow and a long run on Sunday.  32km for my 32nd birthday
  • So I went out to hard and my stomach got upset to the point of «I can run with it, but just a tad worse and I'll have to stop», but... 1:22:4x in my first ever half (third proper race with the previous two being 10ks). Aiming for sub 1:30 i gotta be happy with that. So happy infact, that I forgot to eat, drink (apart from two beers) and put on enough clothing afterwards. For four hours. By the end of the day I was reduced to a shivering mess with an upset stomach. How I managed to forget everything I've learned about proper post-race hydration and nutrition is beyond me.

Wednesday marks the start of early bird signup for next years race in my home town. Should I go for the full? I probably will.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Wow - if that's your first half with limited pacing knowledge you have a bright future.  Do you run with a club at all or at least do track sessions?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

espen- Good going. If I recall correctly you have a pretty serious cycling background, which will be of huge help.

Is it your birthday sunday, jgav? How many weeks until target race?

I managed 32m last week, all easy running. Got 4 weeks until my first target race. Not going to be in shape to challenge a pb I don't think.

• DT19: Yup, the cycling background probably helps. Especially the part where the brain goes blank at the sound of the gun.

What's the target race?

JGav: No club. Almost all training done as part of my run commute before work. Have done some mile repeats on a concrete track that is a ice skating track in the winter and one on a normal track. Have done a fair bit of speed work on the road though. 400m repeats, mile repeats, 3k repeats etc. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 - Bournemouth is on the 6th October so 4 Sunday's time and yes it's my birthday this Sunday.

espenhb - I'd recommend trying the local running clubs, it's so much easier to push hard doing intervals in a group.  Depends if their training schedule fits with yours though.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Burnham half, which is the same day as jgavs mara. let's hope it isn't a windy day given we are both on the coast.
  • JGav: I know I know. Would prefer running intervals with a group, but finding one that does track sessions from 7 to 8 in the morning ain't that easy ;) And with a new kid and a new house in need of remodelling running in the PM (except for the commute home) ain't much of an option.