The Middle Ground

Comments

• Hope the physio can work some quick magic, AD!

I think you get better weather than we do, DT! Although AD probably gets better still! Soaked the last two days and lots of paddling today as well, although did escape the rain; rained all morning after the forecast was for a dry day. 25 minutes warm up, 7 x 30 secs hills with one minute jog recovery, 10 minutes warm down. Warm down curtailed as it was just starting to rain again. Otherwise all as planned. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Mixed news from the physio appointment - on the plus side, it seems to be the same issue that I had a few sessions on last summer (inflammation and slight rotation on the lowest lumbar joint) so I know it can be fixed, but on the down side it seems to have been damaged worse than the time before which will mean it takes longer to heal and also is now much more likely to keep re-occurring.

I have felt much better today, so hopefully by the weekend I might feel ready to get out for a light jog to test things out!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, what you need is a small strengthening regime focused on it if it's a reoccurring issue. Did physio suggest anything?

Nice little session, Alehouse.

I did spin yesterday morning then a 6m progressive over lunch. Easy 8 today. Should be pushing 50m this week. 
  • Not yet DT, but she asked if I’d had exercises given to me before so I assume it is in her mind to give me some. Going to book another session next week. Feeling better again today, just need to avoid doing something stupid and triggering it again!

Sounds like a good week’s training for you. 

And yes, I missed Alehouse’s session above - sounds like a good workout (not a fan of hills myself!).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, definitely need to do some work on wherever the weakness is. In my experience everything tracks back to weak glutes!

I've just entered a race!! The Derby 10m on 15th Nov. Given that the Govt opened up air bridges to some more Greek islands last night it appears increasingly likely I will be away for the Leicestershire 10k. Derby is a fast, flat course and also I have beaten my 10m pb several times in half maras so it gives me an opportunity as opposed to running a solid 10k but nothing more.

• Great - a pb is always one to grab with both hands (especially given the lack of racing at the moment)!

My back feels pretty much like normal now, and if I hadn't had the episode a few days ago I'd just be putting down any residual pain as just 'a bit of stiffness', so I'm very tempted to get out for a run this evening. Nothing strenuous. Hmmmm
  • Bit the bullet and went for a run - did 4 miles and felt absolutely normal! Just hope I pull up ok in the morning.
  • All sounds much better, AD. My physio also seems to trace most things back to glute strength, or rather lack of. 

A very wet hour or so this morning...during which my left glute and hamstring complained. I have been neglecting my stretches for the last two weeks since I have been back at work. Now sitting on a spiky ball. Also HR is slightly up for the effort, and has been all week since my flu jab last Saturday. I have a slight cold, although that may well be due to going back to working in a school. Probably won't quite make my 50k this week, but that's fine. More concerned that I may have to cut the speedwork back a little if things are going to continue to niggle. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • You don’t seem to be having a good run of luck with the weather up there Alehouse! Missing speed work is my main concern about this back injury too - seems I can turn out easy paced stuff ok (another 4.5 miles at 8.31mm today) but how it copes with speed work remains to be seen!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Positive stuff, AD. 

I've become a bit complacent this week, Alehouse  with the maintenance stuff, largely as work has been much busier. I'll get back on it from next week. 

I've never been concerned by missing speed work. As my coach says, nobody became unfit from just running miles. 

A rare rest day for me today. It was just a spin class this morning but my sons footy was timed to make it impossible and my wife's out for the afternoon therefore I've worked on rest by spending a wet afternoon in bed snoozing with the rugby on. A lazy afternoon was well needed. 
  • That sounds particularly lazy, DT! And I agree, I won't become more unfit by just running miles...but I won't make the looked for progress if I have to ditch the faster stuff. Obviously will err on the side of caution. 

My M75 friend has lent me a book: Pilates for Runners by Harri Angell (Harri being short for Harriet). Excellent and will be on my Christmas list, if I can wait that long! definitely worth putting on yours, you two!
  • Legs played ball today and ran an easy 66 minutes to bring up just under 49k for the week. Tempted to put my kit on later to take it over the 50! Beautiful day for it!
  • 66 minutes sounds about what my long run will be when I go out in a bit. Provided my back stands up to it.

I should definitely look into Pilates or something similar, as my core body strength is awful, so thanks for the recommendation.

DT - I’d give anything for a lazy afternoon right about now!!
  • Hope that you don't even notice the back, AD! I am trying to reduce my arm movements on the longer run: an hour or so of swinging my arms doesn't seem to do my back any favours.

And had another look at that book: definitely recommended. 

And had a look at my training over the last few months: decided against going out again to make up the distance to over 50k: have exceeded that for 17 of the last 21 weeks, so happy with that. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    A Saturday afternoon on sofa watching footy/rugby was one of the greatest pleasures taken away when I had kids. Now they are 10 and 7 so old enough not to need constant supervision, it's something I've been keen to reintroduce. 

Hope the long run went well, Andrew?

Some great consistency,  Alehouse. No need to add to it!!

Easy 14 again today after junior rugby. Weather was perfect and 7.57mm average pace for a hr at the top of my recovery zone (139) it barely touched the sides. That's about 48.5m for the week, my highest since March. 

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll take a look. My only concern with things like that is there's no one on hand to correct you if wrong. 
  • Yes, understand your concerns about doing exercises incorrectly, DT! Having been fairly cynical initially, I have been a Pilates fan for about two years now. It is very gentle and there is minimal danger of damaging anything by doing the exercises incorrectly unlike some other exercise programmes. Much of Pilates is about balance, poise, form etc. Progress is very gradual and is not a quick fix gimmick! My M75 neighbour is also an advocate and feels that Pilates has contributed to him being rarely injured. 

• Long run went well thanks - 7 miles along a local river path- barely saw a soul! 8.46mm avr pace, HR was 146 avr.

Managed to salvage 15.5 miles from a week where even running at all looked pretty dicey on Wednesday night!

DT - I don’t think I’ve been able to sit down and watch a whole football match uninterrupted on the tv in 5 years now! I’d like to reintroduce that in the future too.

Sounds like your long run was perfect. 50 miles next week? Unbelievable how well you’ve got back to those levels from your injury earlier in the year. 

Alehouse - great consistency over the past few months too. I’m sure Pilates (or similar) is vital if we want to stay active beyond our younger years (being careful how I phrase that!)

Not that it affects running, but I guess you’ll find out tomorrow if your region is going to face stricter restrictions? Burnham seems to have been very vocal, and I get where he’s coming from about economic support, but surely he can’t reject any further restrictions outright?! Anyway, enough politics....... 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Andrew, I think your youngest child turning 6 is the point things like that start coming back. 

Nice long run. Decent turnaround from where you were mid week. 

Yes, I've surprised myself and coach with where I've got so relatively fast. He puts it down yo the 5 years unhindered training before as well as the work I put in on the turbo as soon as I could in June. 

Wherever the North West is now we'll all be there in a month. I'm not sure why anyone thought anything different would happen without a vaccine. The much debated Spanish flu only fizzled out due to herd immunity. This won't magically  end like that did at a 2nd wave as many assume as we've suppressed it too much. In the absence of a vaccine we'll be up and down like this for a few years, imo. 
  • Hope you’re both having a good week so far?

I had a rest day yesterday, then did an intervals session at lunchtime today. 3 x 1km at around 6.45 pace, off 400m recovery jogs.

Did the first two reps too quickly (6.36 pace for each) and that combined with not having eaten much beforehand meant I needed to take a little longer on the next recovery before rep 3. Managed that in 6.44 pace, so still on target. 

4.5 miles all in with warm up and down.
  • Afternoon!
    Did you receive a Pilates clip, AD?
    Re km reps I have to work in minutes per km, eg 4 mins, 4 mins 10 or whatever. I think this is more relevant anyway as we largely will be racing 5ks or 10ks and have target km paces in mind.  Whilst I am perhaps "old school" in may ways (or just old), I find mile paces completely foreign (unless I ran a mile race, of course). 

Anyway, the day for quicker stuff, obviously, although I bet yours wasn't in pouring rain! 25 minutes warm up, 8 x 30 seconds uphill with 1 minute jog recovery, 15 minutes warm down. Hard work, and part 1 of step 8 of my 16 step speedwork plan. Just over 8k in total. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good session, Andrew. Yes, you have to watch those reps sometimes as it's easy to initially find them easy enough to charge off.

Well done on the hill reps, Alehouse.

Intervals for me today, albeit in perfect conditions, cool, little breeze and blue skies. 10 x 1k off 1 minute starting at HMP and working to 10kp if feeling good.

Prey successful session and well executed with reps of (for Alehouse's benefit) 3.57, 3.49, 3.46, 3.41, 3.44, 3.44, 3.44, 3.41, 3.40 and 3.40. The first 7 all felt well controlled and a bit of a cruise. It was only when I nudged the pace in the last 3 that it became  harder work. I am definitely in very good shape right, easily comparable to February, at least over shorter stuff. I am not sure how I would manage on the speed endurance of a half for eg.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Sounds a decent session, DT! And thanks for the "meaningful" times! At least you didn't start off too quickly! 

AD: I do remember that 4 mins for a km is 6:26 for a mile, so that session shows that you are in decent shape. I would try to gradually reduce the recovery, or aim to run them more quickly over time...but certainly more consistently!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I can convert 6.26mm to being 4m per k and 8mm as 5m per k. Beyond that I'm lost in km times and purely a miles person. 

My first rep is always much slower than the others. Just feeling my way into the session. 
  • Km splits were 4:05; 4:06 and 4:11 (all rounded)! I’d guess that at the moment this is about 3k pace, although when in pb shape it is almost exactly 5k pace.

I struggle with the conversions, so just operate in mile paces (and keep the watch ticking distance in miles too, so 0.62 for a km rep and 0.25 for recoveries).

Good sessions both! I think one advantage of lockdown and restrictions on social life has been that us runners have had less distractions and therefore we all seem in decent shape at the moment.

Alehouse - yes! Sorry, I meant to thank you for that. Haven’t had time to review it yet but will find some time tonight after kiddos are in bed!
  • PS - I see in the news an 85 year old man just set the age group mile record in 8mins10.

Good on him!
  • Easy 3.5 recovery run this afternoon, nice and relaxed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Very pleasant 7m easy over lunch gor me.

Sadly the race i entered Friday has now cancelled today. I suspect it won't be the first casualty!

Yes, saw that mile record on BBC site. 
  • No, I think you’re right. 

Just had a quick comparison of my easy 3.5 mile run yesterday compared to the same distance run a month ago. Pace was almost identical, the route was hillier this time and had more elevation gain, but my average HR was 135 compared to 142 a month ago. Hopefully a sign of increasing fitness (not that I take too much attention to training by heart rate but it’s interesting to occasionally look at it).
  • Definitely heading in the right direction, AD!

Pleasant 50 minutes with my M75 neighbour this morning, off road. Quite bouncy, but that is to be expected as it was very gentle. Yesterday was more of a struggle after the hills on Tuesday. 

Shame about your race, DT. No surprise though. 
  • Tempo/threshold session completed. Cruise intervals of 1 mile off 1 min rest. Target pace was low 7.10s. Paces for the 3 miles were 7.11; 7.09; 7.10. 

4.5 miles all in.