Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    22 mins easy to round up to 4km. It felt so good to get out again - even if it was on a 600m loop in the least beautiful park around me, to guarantee a nice flat and even surface to run on. Beautiful and crisp morning, a shame I couldn't be out for longer (I tried to keep out thoughts about what a perfect morning it would be for a session, if I'd managed to stay healthy!).

Body feeling good, hip feeling like it's moving well and is still pain free afterwards. Heart rate was apparently an average of 155, but I'm not convinced my monitor always reads accurately on these cold and dry mornings. 

I plan to stretch well later, and possibly a short walk, too.
  • Options
    Sounds like a promising first outing. It is a glorious winter's day here too - so tempting to be out, but work gets in the way. Planning 4 miles later instead.

Had my email today to offer me options for my rearranged 5 mile race. Instead of trying to race on 27 December, I have taken the option to switch my entry to a different race - chose a 10k at the beginning of April.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising, Muss. 

Yes I got out over lunchtime. Was supposed to be 6 easy but I swapped in tomorrow's 8 so I could do my favourite countryside route and I'll do 6 tomorrow. 

In bigger news, I've just entered the Milton Keynes winter half which is a week Saturday. They had to cancel everyone in the race living in tier 3 so it opened entries up. Chose an 11am start time as it's a 90 minute drive so I can set off at 8.30 so no getting up at a silly time. 
  • Options
    That's exciting! How does that change your training plans?

1600m swim for me today. 5x50m kick drills (these are incidentally great for leg strength), 250m arm drills, then 1k moderate freestyle, and a 100m sprint to finish. It all felt very rusty, after not swimming since February, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it. The water heaters were broken, so the water was around 18°C - which feels a lot colder than it sounds!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Not hugely as such. It's schedule as usual through to Tuesday then drops off for taper and recovery, getting back to normal from next Wednesday.

Yes, I can imagine swimming in 18c would be pretty chilly. I have done back to back spin days, which I've really missed doing and just easy miles. 10K tempo run tomorrow. Looks like there could be any sort of weather for it!!

• Options
    Just over 30 mins very easy jog, 5.6km (3.5 miles). Heart rate averaged at 153, but with a few spikes into the 160s that suggest that I've lost a bit of fitness. In terms of breathing and general effort, it did feel very relaxed though, so maybe it's just a question of shaking the rust off (and those extra pounds, because I really haven't changed my diet at all from when I was running 50-60 km per week  :D <span> ).</span>

<span>Most importantly, no pain!</span>
  • Options
    Damnit, still can't see the edit icon, and I've no idea why this forum software keeps on throwing in those random HTML tags! Sorry guys!
  • Options
    All sounds good, Muss! But don't re-build too quickly! DT is a very good example of re-building at a sensible rate.

DT: I imagine a week on Saturday will see the worst of the winter weather! 

65 minutes, largely off road, today. Pretty foul underfoot for most of it. Longest run since before my procedure in October. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    My plan is to carry on with a maximum of one day on, one day off for the next few weeks, probably alternating 30 and 40 minute runs.

If everything is still feeling good at the end of next week, I might start stretching one run to 45 or 50 mins to start building back the long run. Does that sound cautious enough?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yep, it'll be carnage next Saturday I'm sure. I had a choice of entering the Saturday or Sunday race. Let's hope my 50/50 choice doesn't prove to have very different weather outcomes!!

It was the most miserable running day I've had in a while today. Fortunately it was only a 4m recovery run though. 
  • Options
    Evening all.

DT - a race! Excellent! What time are you hoping for? 

Muss - good to hear you’re easing back into it. I know from my own past experience that it is easy to get tempted into coming back too hard too soon.

Alehouse - good to hear you are back over the hour mark. 

I’ve been running lots of easy miles this week - 11 so far, all around the 8.30-8.45 pace. Feels aerobically very easy, even if the knee is still complaining a bit!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well I know nothing about the course except that Milton Keynes is generally flat, so assuming that's in order and weather reasonable I shall be looking to be at pb level, ideally sub 82. 
  • Options
    How is the start organised, DT? I was going to suggest that you try to lock into 6:15 pace...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The race is run over 2 mornings so when you enter you select your day. You then select your start time that day and there are an umber of slots to each start time. There is  afresh start every 4 minutes from 9am-11am.

So there are obvious risks, I end up in time trial, I end up caught behind 2 hour plus runners as the race goes on (though hopefully the field will be sufficiently spread out by then as there's only about 400 racing and the earlier slots seem more popular).

I have now done some research via 2019 results then onto strava which once I find one open profile I can access lots via flybys. They all seem to have the same theme-

1. about 350 ft of elevation gain.

2. Lots of comments about the ridiculous amounts of twists and turns.

3. Most gps measured it just on 13m, which may be because of point 2 above (it has a certificate of accuracy and licence and last years results are noted on po10 without any caveat).

4. The course has up and downs but mile 10 involves a pretty big climb by the looks and then mile 11 provides an even bigger downhill and it looks slightly downhill/flat in to the finish.

My pb in feb (82.11) I averaged 6.15 pace and that involved running about 6m around an airfield in very strong wind so I am hopeful I can sit at closer to 6.10 pace. I am a bit concerned about the loss of momentum on these twists and turns.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    10k tempo at lunch. Went higher effort than usual application to get me used to that harder work ready for next Saturday. 

Controlled but fastish first half then let go 2nd half was plan. First 5k in 19.32 then second in 18.50 for 38.22 for 10k. 2s faster than I raced Telford 10k last December. 
  • Options
    When I said 6:15 I felt I was being conservative, so 6:10 is definitely on the cards, DT! re twists and turns I would try to think positively about them: they naturally break up the relentless slog. 

Hope you get better weather than we have had here today! Decent session from you today as well!
  • Options
    <span>Bit of a frustrating run today. Beautiful day (unexpectedly), I got in 40 mins pain free running, and all I could think about was how ploddy the pace felt, how my heart rate was so high and how much fitness I'd lost. Annoying when you just can't let those negative thoughts go. The watch beeped for 7k almost exactly as I reached my flat. </span>
  • Options
    That's fine, Muss! I felt rather like that on my run this morning! You will gradually get back to it. An old coach at my club used to say that on average when you are less fit one out of three runs feels good; when fit one out of three runs is poor. About right in my experience! Anyway, another gentle hour banked. My HR was also a little high compared to what it would have been six weeks ago, but am confident another few weeks of steady running will make a difference, not least to my weight. 
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I expect to have those poor runs. I haven't been sleeping that well recently, for a start. The more frustrating thing for me is that when there is so much to be positive about, I somehow still spent a lot of energy on being negative! But I guess mentality needs training just as much as the physical side.
  • Options
    I’ve made the call to give my knee a week off from all running. Even just running short, easy runs this week has left me in pain afterwards. So I’m admitting defeat and resorting to the physio’s advice of rest. Will see how it feels after a week.
  • Options
    Yes, I understood your point about negative thoughts, Muss! I was trying to say that part of getting them is relating to the bigger picture and what others experience.

Sorry to hear that, AD. Make sure that you commit to the exercises, glutes in particular.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Muss, I always feel a bit clumsy and awkward even just from a few days off running. When you know the pace v hr stats aren't going to be on your side, the best approach is to completey ignore them. I dont know of you follow footy but if your tino werner in September you get a hatrick today. As your an out of form timo werner you get nothing. 

Spin first thing then a restful day. Weighed in at 10st9 pretraining. Last time I was that weight I was a teenager! 

Alehouse, when I started with Lewis and we chatted I always said (having just run a sub 3 mara) my piei in sky dream goal is a sub 80 half. I think that and a sub 60, 10m  (possibly also a sub 18 5k) move you across a line in terms of decent runner to very good. I'm starting to feel those times aren't an impossibility anymore. 

Edit, Andrew, yes get the work done. I really feel shattered lunchtime and had to shoehorn in it when I just wanted to use the time to relax but I made sure I did my glutes and core class. 
  • Options
    I would say that you are perfectly capable of those times, DT! And certainly good for age, so to speak.

Just under 39 k for the week as I slowly re-build; need to listen to my own advice about doing the Pilates work!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Before I got injured I was essentially 10s per mile off those times, so that doesn't seem to be a huge gap to close. 

Very leisurely half this afternoon for 47m for the week. 
  • Options
    Do any of you have any good suggestions for quad strengthening exercises that don't put too much strain through the knees?

Along with glute exercises, I think I need to strengthen my quads to add more support and stability for my knees.

However, the exercises I've found online all feel like they are straining the very bit of my knee that is injured! Squats and another exercise (difficult to describe, but sitting with legs out straight and then lifting each leg) both result in clicking and discomfort in the knee, so I wonder if they are doing more harm then good!
  • Options
    DT, when you say to ignore the stats, how important do you think it is to keep efforts genuinely easy when building fitness? It feels pretty comfortable and conversational when I run, but my heart rate is still in the 160s for much of the time. Should I be easing off even more? 

Another 40 mins today, foggy but beautiful, and just over 7k, 80m elevation gain and an average heart rate of 157. Looking at the Garmin stats, the most encouraging one is that the left/right balance was 49.7/50.3, the closest it's been for quite a while.
  • Options
    Muss  - I've only recently started looking at HR during runs (since getting a new watch in the summer) and would say that all of my easy and long runs come in with an average HR in the 140s. It might reach 160s if I have a long hill to climb, or possibly in the last couple of miles of a long run, but the average stays lower than that. Not sure if that helps, as I'm not as experienced as DT!
  • Options
    AD: not sure what to suggest re quads. When I had knee problems (a long time ago I am pleased to say), the main exercise was to sit on a dining chair and lift a leg from a bent knee to horizontal; when this is comfortably manageable then weight is added. I used to use a brick tied to my foot but there will be more efficient ways!

Three runs of over an hour over the last 7 days with all the rest at around half an hour. Mostly off road and all well within myself. Gradually getting back to things but no rush. 
  • Options
    Andrew - have you tried not going so low in squats? You don't have to go super deep to get benefit from them. Reverse lunges/split squats also put much less strain on the knee than other variants. Chair pose is also a good one. Leg raises from lying flat on the floor are good, and you can add resistance or weight if you need to progress. Also, squeezing something between your legs as you do glute bridges really fires up your VMOs - the weak link for a lot of people and important for knee stability!

Otherwise, cycling? Swimming is also good - kick drills really fire up all the muscles in your legs and glutes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Onto day 5 of no running. Knee definitely feels better, but I am getting incredibly grumpy and grouchy! Does anyone else get like that when they can’t get out for a run?!