The Middle Ground

1107110721073107410751077»

Comments

• Not much to report here, either! Been unwell the last four or five days so just short easy streak saving runs!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Watched the NY tracker with interest, DT. It is, I believe, a tougher race than people think! Chester was your A race, so overall another decent performance. Sorry to hear that you have now tested positive (COVID not drugs I hasten to add!).

Just back from four warm days in Spain: 25 or so, so 3 degrees yesterday morning was a shock. Actually haven't felt great since my return. Legs dead , also: most of the running in Spain was on the concrete prom; legs not used to harsh surfaces. 

Got absolutely soaked on today's run, despite waiting for a dry window of opportunity. So wet that my phone no longer works, despite being iny goretex jacket pocket.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Alehouse. I would say (albeit I was running with a significant handicap) it was the toughest course I've run. 

The climb over the bridge at 15m is significant and lonely as no supporters, then you come off that to a long gradual drag up 5th Avenue, peaking with another climb at 23m. 

Despite there being a cock up with Starr, with the corrals on my start going vack to front either slowest at front, unlike London, once I got through the first mile I had loads of space. Had that happened in London it would have taken 20m to have a clear run. 

I feel hugely disappointed that covid indirectly ruined this for me in 2020 then almost as a tragic parting shot it had me in 2023. Currently now dealing with covid, jet lag and post mara soreness. The positive is, if I felt like I do now on Saturday night I don't think I'd have made the start. 

I had really hoped to preserve my sub 2.50 majors record, I guess at least I've preserved sub 3. 

Spain sounds pleasant, know quite a few that went there over half term and enjoyed great weather. 

Lewis wanted me to have a complete week off to reset, and that was before covid diagnosis so I was a bit resistant, however now it sounds like a great idea! 
  • Take as long as you need, DT! Can't remember if you have had COVID before. Took me months to get over it as I probably rushed things. 

Foul weather here again so a good day to watch cricket! Should squeeze in half an hour or so running the. A long stretch this evening. The latter is definitely something you could be doing at present, DT: gentle yoga or Pilates rather than anything dynamic, I would suggest.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I had covid in May 2022 but it barely touched me. I had 1 groggy day but otherwise trained as normal and it had no impact. 

This however has been a very different beast. Tuesday night about midnight I woke drenched in sweat but cold and shivery. Started feeling better yesterday pm but then relapsed a bit last night. Feeling OK again now, just a snotty nose.

I've got a day out at the darts tomorrow so need a good sleep tonight. 

I am definitely going to spend a bit more time on basic strength stuff after tomorrow.  I have a place a week Sunday at the Derby 10m, but can't see there's much purpose in turning up. 
  • Friend was celebrating his 600th parkrun today so popped along to support, and run. Surprised myself a little with 23:50, WAVA 73+. Quickest since Jan 2020 and highest age grade since 2019. Consistent consistency, almost all gentle running, seems to be working. Rarely break 6 minutes per k in training, never mind five! 
    Currently need 80k to get to my 2023 in 2023k target!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    That sounds positive,  Alehouse. Quickest in 3 years  is a big shout to be fair!

I've been going through motions last month or so since NY. Covid took more out of me than I thought it would then Lewis told me he was moving away from coaching to essentially run the company and do tv work , do recently switched coaches slso.

Local 10m pudding run last Sunday. Was an opportunity to find where I'm starting from as I emerge from the bottom of the curve. Not a fast course and not helped by a late reroute of course due to a stabbing on the route in early hours, added about 200m. I thought I'd done enough to sub 60 with 5.56mm average but came in 60.14 for 10th. It was Midlands master champs though and I got silver. 

Popped to parkrun for a social this morning at just faster than my, came in 19.05. Such is my age that gets me a 75% wave. I remember the first time I achieved a 70% wave, it was a big deal to me. 

I've decided to run Newport mara in late April. Planned Manchester but we decided to book an all inclusive to lanzarote for a week incorporating Easter weekend late March. Manchester came too soon off that and London is same day as sons birthday.  Plan is to run London 25 from champs start. I've two attempts in 2024 to achieve it. 

75m off 2600m this year. Should just make it.