Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

YP - definitely.  Good work.

Every time I see someone bounding along on grass on a sunny day, it always reminds me of this little fella.

http://www.atimetolaugh.org/images/kitty%20running.jpg

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭

I see your cute kitty and raise you.....

/members/images/37826/Gallery/black_lab_pup.jpg

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Thanks Phil - Love the photo

Minni Best of luck with the half  hat is some round trip

forever thanks too

Interesting Curly i found that my runs are getting quicker perceived effort as can't use HRM old Garmins lost or broke and now using an older 201 but it does the job barring the first mile  uphill i'm getting under 10 min miles  i put it down to daily running  but maybe its  the bike as well not that i cycle far either 2-3 miles each way and i don't normally run that quick

• Options

Minni - Dundee is point to point & net downhill IIRC so good for a quick time. Decent standards - normally a bunch of runners around the 90-minute mark. Only problem... well it's Dundee image 

You mustn't be too far from Jedburgh? That's a pretty decent HM in Autumn. 

Nice running from YP & Curly at the same race. Your head injury sounds a bit worrying Curly, is it feeling ok today? And good pictures from you both.

Well done on a new wava pb forever!

Decent paces for the end of a 16 miler Dan. Looks like the base is there & decent strength too to up the pace like that.

I had a very frustrating morning as I went into town to to 5*300 at the track only to find it was having some maintenance done to it. I was told I could use the indoor track too (~135m straight) so I figured I could do some basic speed work instead. Got down there to find it was fully booked despite being told it was free image And to make matters worse my usual stretch of road has roadworks on it right now too! 

I will get out though as soon as I've found somewhere else to run.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Hope you find somewhere Duck to run sooo annoying for you! I have a headache today, but it is much better, still a lump but my neck is okay too.

Love the puppy and the finishing shot YP image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Duck - yes about 30 miles from Jed so that is my local one.  Done it twice and it was a pb course for quite a long time.  Its undulating but that seems to suit me.  It now clashes with the TM marathon so missed it the last few years.

Have you run Dundee before?  I think the first 3 miles will be uphill followed but a nice long down!  I will hopefully start quite far up because the course seems quite narrow in places and there's almost 1000 runners.

I'm also heading for the Forth Road Bridge 10k in a few weeks time.  image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Looks like you'll have a few opportunities to test the fitness Minni.image

Frustrating Duck ... looks like you need our canal towpath. Not much use for 300m intervals but if it's 400s then the 1/4 mile marker are very useful.

7.1M for me this lunchtime (9:01/m for 67% maxHR) ... legs were a bit stiff to start after yesterday's long'un but they soon settled in. No commuting possible this week due to Dad's Taxi Services being required for a 9am drop-off and 5pm collect (also makes the working day tight). I may have to bring the bike into work in the back of the car one day and escape for a lunchtime ride ... I hadn't factored in not being on the bike in the week before the Triimage.

• Options

Never run Dundee before Minni but it's a day out for Fife AC & it gets quite a bit of press up here too. You're brave doing the Forth Road Bridge!

Dan, I'm sometimes very tempted to try and get my HRM working again to see what kind of stats I get. Afraid I'd find out most of my runs are now at 80% MHR or something!

Yeah kind of frustrating with the roadworks but they're only for a smallish section of road, so I used the horse rider's path (a bit overgrown & muddy) to get past the roadworks & used a bit of road about half a mile further away for 5*300 w/2'30 rec (well, as close as can be to 300m while not on the track). 

Despite the fourth hard session since last Tuesday I came out with 47, 46, 44, 46, 43 (4:06/m avg according to Garmin). # 3 & 5 were under 4:00/m pace (although they were downhill)! pretty hard session but I'm feeling strong right now. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Do you run for Fife Duck? I friend often lived up there for a few years and ran for them. Sounds like a great club from what she's said.

I entered the 10k while under the influence - seemed like a great idea at the time!!
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)
    I entered the 10k while under the influence - seemed like a great idea at the time!!

I think I was probably still under the influence when I ran my last raceimage.

• Options

I sure do Minni! Great club, really down to earth & there for the athletes. Real salt of the earth type characters. 

lol Dan image 

For some reason I totally cocked up my reporting of that session, 300s were 47, 47, 45, 45, 45. I think I was looking at the wrong splits screen image 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes Duck, from what my friend has said it sounds very similar to my club here.   She loved her time with them.

Dan - ha ha!  Been there many times myself!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Curly - shame about the half but still a decent training run. You say your lungs are your weakness, what does your coach say about developing them?

Forever - indeed stragers can be quite pleasant - nice meeting you and good work on the medal and pb!

Haven't read back much as on my PlayBook in hotels but I'm sure you're all doing good training and racing!

A few days in Norfolk for us enjoying the sunshine and finding a few new running routes. No racingfor me yet but fitness is returning.

• Options

Well done on your parkrun and the fastest mile yet, Darola. With your rapid improvement, I am sure sub-20 will come sooner than you might think.

YP, those long runs can take a good while to recover from. An 18.5 miler I did earlier in the year took me about three weeks to recovery properly from.

forever, great stuff. You're getting well ahead of me on the WAVA now. I'm not sure there's much I can do about it this season.

Curly, sounds like a tough race, and a tough weekend. Do you really need to get 26 mile+ runs under the belt to be ready for a marathon? I always understood that time on feet was an important factor and bear in mind that if you are not racing them, you will almost definitely be spending more time on your feet than you would on race day. I would argue that the recovery time and its effect on training that could have otherwise taken place would outweigh any physiological benefits you might get from going over-distance (well, over-time)

Who's Magpie? Do you play a game where you see how many people you can name who do not post in this thread? It reminds me of Robot62

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Darola - More progress so plenty to smile about there.

YP - Doing 1-37 with poor pacing is better than doing 1-37 with perfect pacing in terms of future potential. So if you were hoping to achieve that sort of time if it had all gone well then you must have overperformed? image

Curly - Rounders? Thats Baseball without any protection, right? Far too dangerous. image Sounds like it produced a bit of an ordeal of a half marathon but, having had recent experience of trying to run after hitting my head on a solid object, I empathise with your plight! A Warrior? I like that,maybe we should change our club name to Barnsley Warriors! image

Phil - That sounds pretty similar to our day yesterday but you cant be good all the time, eh? image But I would have thought that resorting to cute animal shots to court popularity would be below a man of your standing! image

Duck - I suppose there are a good few more options when trying to find an alternative location to do 300m reps than when I try to find some flattish road for mile reps but good perseverance to get another blistering session under your belt.

Simon - Who is Robot62?

Dr Dan/Darola - Loving the festering WAVA smackdown talk. image

And talking of festering WAVA smackdowns.............

Just back from a weekend in Norwich/Dereham that involved one. image

Firstly, Saturday was Norwich parkrun no.99. I fancied having a crack at the V45 record there of 17:34. After giving it a good bash I came away with 17:55 but the legs felt good.

As we lined up at the start I was approached by a young junior who asked what time I was going to run. When I said 'hopefully somewhere close to 17:30' he made some comment along the lines of 'Oh, thats alright then'.

He went on to win in 16:36, so clearly I was no threat whatsoever to him. However, can you imagine how chuffed I felt that he thought that I looked remotely like I might have been. image

Then yesterday was the Dereham 5K with forever and BR.

This was a 2-lap town centre course with a couple of tight twists and a 200m grass incline finish but apart from that a very fast course. I was most impressed to find that a local 250 runner event had managed to get a starter with the gravitas of Paul Evans. However, I dont think 90% of the runners had a scooby doo who he was!

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

On to the race and I think we can safely say that forever has taken the No.1 Sandbagger crown away from YD.Just as a reminder:

forever wrote (see)

My plans are always changing image but...............at the moment I should be there. I don't think it will be much of a battle thoughimage

So how does running the fastest 5K of her life and landing a WAVA of 79.15% constitute anything other than trying to lull me into a false sense of security? image

That meant that I needed an 18:03 or better or else I was going down........

Thankfully, I felt pretty good yesterday morning and managed splits of 5:40, 5:35, 5:39 and a final time of 17:43 on a course which I measured at 5.08Km.

Suffice to say that I wont be falling for any of these 'I wont be much competition' sob stories when it comes to the next leg of the smackdown. image

• Options
    parkrunfan

Suffice to say that I wont be falling for any of these 'I wont be much competition' sob stories when it comes to the next leg of the smackdown. image

Errrrrr we're not talking about a certain 5 mile race are we?image

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

prf Rounders is dangerous though i love it. When in the 4th year at school we had a teachers versus pupils match held every year it was the 4th year who played the 5th would be doing exams or have left school by then. Anyhow i didn't make the team so was a spectatator well i got walloped in the mouth by a rounders ball (was a teacher) so much blood poured out of  my mouth they reckoned i bit my mouth in shock

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    forever wrote (see)
    parkrunfan

Errrrrr we're not talking about a certain 5 mile race are we?image

We're talking an as yet unspecified next leg, so you're safe on Friday night! image

Pammie - Ouch!

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I have knocked someone out while playing backstop too once...I threw it right into their head image

Simon magpie is Rob - that's his forum name when he posts on here (very rarely!). We drove past Nonsuch twice on Sunday and he was admiring the park so I expect us to be making a trip down there soon.

Which reminds me Pammie - no we are a bit worried about going anywhere road wise on Saturday as we live almost surrounded by the cycling courses so any not closed roads will be backed up. We are going to stay local and cycle to Bedfont instead image

Great raceing twice PRF - how do you feel the 17:43 compares to your 17:25 at Hull in March? I have a suspicion that you are getting back into peak fitness. How you have done that just racing without breaking yourself i dont know!

Are you in Norfolk all week? I love it up there image

Did you get to speak to PE at all?

Simon these are just thoughts I am having - Moraghan will more than likely disagree so right now I am taking the next training block before making any decisions.

Dawn he recommends more basic speed and multi pace tempo to get used to running fast and running faster for longer. However, at this point in time on my comeback trail I am not in a place to do either of those for the maximum benefit so instead we are letting me run with the speed endurance sessions at club.

Tonight is polo pairs, basically a rectangular field split in half to make two squares, one person runs fast around three edges of their square and then tags the next, while the second is running fast the first person walks back to the start.

This works really well for me and Magpie as we are very evenly matched in terms of pace. Although because its in Richmond park the field isnt completely flat and its my turn to have the three sides with the uphill which makes it slightly harder. Total effort time is 26 minutes, so its a chunky one.

8 miles cycled this morning and another 10 this evening should see me pretty tired tonight!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Curly - sounds an interesting session. 

Forever - we won't be doing the 5 either, but if you fancy a short run early tomorrow morning 9.30ish before we leave we'd could meet you at Whitlingham Country Park. We are only doing 4 miles very easy as BR is racing in the evening so  it's a way of loosening the legs.

A nice 6 this morning in very hot sunshine.

• Options

PRF, a nice couple of 5Ks there. Sub-18 is looking routine for you these days. But looking like you're in ~16:30 shape sounds like a challenge to me.

Curly, just teasing. I have been away from Nonsuch for a few weeks what with stag dos and race schedules but plan to get back down this weekend. I reckon it could be busy with Bushy, Richmond and Wimbledon (IIRC) being cancelled this weekend, even though they're not quite the same area.

I went out for a 3 mile test run yesterday. The test being 10 mile pace. I used a combination of heart rate and effort to gauge and the pace came out at 6:08 per mile. Given that it was bloody baking, the course was slightly uphill, and it's not been my training focus, that gives me quite a bit of confidence for sub-60 at the Cabbage Patch. Part of my training will probably involve lots of parkruns at about 18:30 pace.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Actually forever wd are here now until Saturday morning so will be at the 5 mile race. Can we enter on evening?  image

• Options
    Hi Ladies, you are not talking about the Worstead 5, are you?
  • Options

Dash indeedimage Are you doing it?

Hilly I'm off to the coast tomorrow so can't make Whitlingham but glad you like it.

There are entries on the day Friday between 5.30-6.30. Will look out for you image

• Options
    Arggh ( but not like a pirate). I'd love to but so far, after my calf prob, have only managed a 3 and a 5 very slowly in 3 weeks so unsure if it might be a bit risky. I am tempted though. Did it last year and seem to remember it being all downhill!

Cracking race and a beer festival after image Might just put the feelers out to see if anyone's popping over..
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    No problem forever. Have a nice timeimage

DR - if you pop over say hello! I won't be racing too hard either as i'm not too fit either !
  • Options

I once knocked out my old physics teacher when I was 16... in fairness I turned around in the corridor and her head collided with my shoulder (she was pretty small). No-one's fault but a rather awkward lesson that afternoon image

prf, that's a great, consistent double 5k weekend! Know thine enemy with forever image

Curly I do enjoy hearing about the creativeness of your club sessions! 26 minutes is pretty hefty.

Simon, how did it feel doing more long endurance-style tempo stuff? When I did that 4-mile tempo last month it was hell. 

I think a big thing for me right now has been keeping the weekly parkrun as some form of tempo session, which I think is helping to no end with knocking out the good sessions recently - I'm feeling rather strong right now. 

Pretty hot today, 5M done and dusted. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice double 5K there PRF! image

Hot indeed Duck ... my planned 7.1M was reduced to 5.6M, partly due to the heat, partly because the police had closed the canal towpath and distrupted my planned route ... but mainly because I felt drained from the moment I set off (that will be Sunday's 16+ catching up on me). I think I'll cycle/swim tomorrow and hope my running legs come back for Thursday.