The Middle Ground

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Dan - I ' m on course for 20 miles this week, which would be the best in a long time. Hoping to get out for a run this evening, provided I still have the energy after a 5am wake up call from a poorly little girl. You seem to be going well image

How is everyone else getting on?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Looks like a good block of training, Dan! Hope you can keep it going next week!

Consistency is the key AD! If you can keep getting 20 miles a week in you will see improvement down the line.

Sale Sizzler last night, but didn't do the planned pacing job as the athlete wasn't available, and wasn't feeling great (antibiotics for an ear infection which has affected my balance) so ran progressively for a fun workout with no-one passing me after the first 500: 4:52/4:45/4:40/4:30/4:20 for 23:07. Enjoyable! 

Day 727 of the current streak!

PRF: have sent you a message via RW!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Great streaking Alehouse and well done on the progressive Sizzler.

Andrew - great news on the 20. Hopefully you're on the way back now.

The 5 x 1000m sesh turned into 7.6 miles with 6 x 1000m (av 3:58 per 1000m, so 6:21/m). Similar stats to the same session back in April when I ran 20:07 5K 3 days later... that was in week 15/16 of the HM plan ... so  I'll take that for week 4/16 of the marathon plan.image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good session Dan! I would expect sub 20 off that, as long as the recoveries weren't too long! For four minutes running I always take 90 to 2 minutes slow jog recovery.

Just 20 mins, off road, wet, slippy today. May parkrun with one of my runners tomorrow. Or I may have a lie in!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive been to lanzarote for 10 days, where I managed two short runs, along with lots of walking.

Back to it now though. I was due to have a minor procedure on Friday which would have put me out for 10 days however I arrived at the pre op this morning to flippantly be given a letter cancelling and giving a new date in mid September. Unfortunately a lot of planning has gone into me being laid up for over a week at work and at home and it's simply not possible to cancel it all and rearrange for 5 weeks time. So, the next earliest point I can get it done based on the next set of dates, is mid January!

On a plus point, I now have unhindered training until the end of October so can make something of the Autumn. I will just have to start my London training early enough to account for the time out in January. It may do me no harm at all.

I've managed to get free entry into the Robin hood half at end of September. It wasn't on the plan but it's 3 weeks from Manchester so could provide a good sighter for what I can get away with going out at in Manchester.

Until then I will just keep bashing my way through the schedule, albeit I now have a spare week as I had factored no training next week into the dates.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi all - hope all is going well?

DT - hope you had a good time in Lanzarote. We went there a few years ago and found it very windy - would probably be a good place for running though. Sounds like a nightmare with the operation.

Dan, Alehouse - training sounds like it is going well. How long is the streak now Alehouse?

WP - how is the injury now?

As for me, 20 last week and 18 so far this week, so I'm getting back to it slowly. Did a really good run on Thursday where I felt like it was all 'clicking' for the first time in at least 3 months image Need to start building in some sessions into my training next week to get my legs turning over again.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Keep up that consistency, AD! My streak passed 2 years last week! Am on holiday in Switzerland and yes, I will run every day!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

2 years - incredible! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the continued streak, Alehouse.

It is windy there, Andrew. We welcome that though as otherwise it's too hot.

I did a new parkrun today. Flat but 2k on field. Unfortunately a club mate died last Sunday on the way home from finishing 4th at a triathlon. Very fit 45 year old, suffered a heart attack in the car. Anyway he was first finisher at the first running of this parkrun so they did a tribute run. Plan was to run at 10k pace. Came out 19.46 so pretty.much right on target. 

looking hot for tomorrow's long run. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Alehouse - recoveries were probably about 2:30 as they were 400m jogs. Don't think I'm in sub-20 shape just yet. Great streaking by the way - 2 years!!!image

Andrew - sounds good to me!

Nice parkrunning DT, albeit under sad circumstances. Hope Lanzarote was warmer than Tenby, Wales, where I have been in a tent for the past week. Travelled there on a Sunday and back again on Sunday yesterday, so that played a bit of havoc with my schedule. Managed to get 7.6 with 4 tempo on Mon and another 8 easy on Tues ... Wed was supposed to be a very hilly 14 but I went over on my ankle at about 11.7, so had to walk the rest of the way. It came up like an egg and was pretty bruised - really thought it was a disaster! Luckily I was fine by Saturday, so did Colby parkrun, a trail run with some climbs but very nice ... managed 21:16 and 10th place. Missed yesterday's run due to driving back but may squeeze it in later today.

• Hello all, any chance I could join in on this thread? Been running just over a year now after 2 years of doing pretty much nothing, these running forums seem intriguing so I decided to sign up! 

Just rank a parkrun PB in 17:39 last saturday, other PB's are 29:11 for 5 mile and 38:27 for 10K.

Thanks!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Welcome RR. Some speedy times there! What does your training look like?

Bike commuting and 6.1 with 3 x 1 mile intervals yesterday off 400m recoveries (average was 6:46/m). Hard work after Saturday's parkrun and a week of camping! Today I biked to work but will run back night (8 miles) and then, hopefully, run back in tomorrow (14 miles) and then cycle home after work.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

welcome RR. Looks like your 10k is a bit older your other times?

I need to get my head back into things this week. Whilst I did 13.5 miles sunday, it was meant to include 8 at mp, however following Saturdays parkrun and the fact I went out at 5pm in full sunshine, I simply couldn't be arsed destroying myself.

Starting tonight with a 6 x 800 session! Forecast for next week doesn't look great from a running perspective with a monster heatwave forecast.

• Thanks guys!

Dan - My training is typically 45-50 mpw, 3 hard sessions(tuesday/thursday/saturday)

DT - Scratch that 10k PB, just ran faster tonight, I will explain further down, I ran that 38:27 on a hilly course 3-4 months before that 5 miler and 5k, and I have improved since.

Did near enough a 9 mile hilly tempo run tonight with the club (8.86 miles to be exact) according to the Strava, ran it in 55:01 or 3:51/km pace, splits were; 6:18, 6:25, 5:51, 5:57, 7:22(all uphill), 5:54, 6:07, 6:10 and the last 1.4km in 4:55. Very hilly route hence the inconsistent splits. The best news is that I ran a 10k PB en route in 38:18, a 9 second PB on a 9 mile tempo run, I'll take that! Effort was quite comfortable aswell, right foot was bleeding at the end, got a nasty blister on my little toe, might have to take tomorrow off.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done RR (although if it aint a race on "Power of 10", it aint a "PB"image).

Hope the 6 x 800m went well DT.

I did the "8 mile home / 14 mile back" commute ... in keeping with previous attempts at this "double", had took in my last carbs at Mon night's dinner and remained carb depleted all Tues & Wed. Did the most of the two runs at "plod pace", but then progressively ramped up during miles 8-13 of the 2nd run and then plodded the last mile back up the hill to work.

8:52, 122 bpm
    8:33, 124 bpm
    8:17, 127 bpm
    8:03, 131 bpm
    7:56, 135 bpm

Confess that I was pretty cooked during the last 1 mile up-hill "cool down" but in previous attempts I would not have been able to up the pace at all ... so hopefully this will help towards fat-fuel-adaptation and go some way towards finding a way to convert my 10K/10M.HM times to 26.2.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Dan - that all sounds very advanced! Glad it went well though.

RR - welcome. Not sure I can add anything which will be of use to you, given your times are so good compared to my own!

So I managed to get to 21 miles last week (plus 10 overs of bowling in cricket game on Saturday). Started this week with a 6 miler last night which felt pretty relaxed and easy, so felt quite encouraged by that. Am planning to introduce a little bit of tempo running into a couple of runs this week.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I don't know, listening to Mo Farahs attitude to training last week, being a very good runner doesn't necessarily mean you have the slightest clue about the science of it all!

Good session Dr Dan.

The 6 x 800 didn't happen. I decided that it would fit better at lunchtime later in week. I ended up just doing 8 miles hilly but easy. Off for 5 at lt shortly.

That sounds like a mad session, RR. What was the aim ie 9 miles at half pace or something?

Good you are getting some miles in again, Andrew.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - yep Mo sounded like he never wanted to take a day off ever! I thought that went against all recommended science, but it seems to work for him! 5 at LT image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

but who knows how much better he would be......

Run went well. Target was 6.25-6.30 and 170 av hr. Came out 6.22 for 170 and a 9 second 5 mile pb without really moving into top gear. Coincidentally I have a 5 mile race 2 weeks today. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

PRF: hope you are reading. Have sent you a message about tonight...have got HO a number, I hope!

Back from Switzerland and ran every day, of course! Even found a 300 metre track that I last ran on in 1974! Only I didn't as it was cinder then and synthetic now! Sale Sizzler tonight, hence message to PRF above: sold out (500+) so numbers are in short supply, to say the least!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Very good to see you and HO earlier, PRF

Race: Sale Sizzler. 21:43, compared with 21:39 last time. A little disappointing...but only a little! 4th in the series, with two raced and two paced.

This time last year I ran 20:50, so should be closer to that than I am. Probably not racing enough. Definitely too heavy: back over 10 stone again when I should be under 9 and a half. Probably running on slightly tired legs from a lot of time on the feet over the past week whilst on holiday in Switzerland. Set off too quickly, perhaps: it felt more uncomfortable than it should have. However very few people passed me, so a lot of other people started off too quickly as well! My mate (The Flying Pig!) went by at the 1k mark and gradually pulled away; however he was always in my sights and I fired off a reasonable last k, passing him with less than 200 to go. Overall verdict: not too bad, but could do better! Seemed to be a pretty high standard tonight and around 600 finishers! Remarkably efficient, I thought, and had a text with my result by the time I'd walked the short distance to pick up my gear.

Need to up my game in training, particularly increasing the distance to help drop the weight. And work on my core strength, which is poor. 

Edit: 487 finishers from 602 entered.

• Nice one Alehouse, thanks for the assistanceimage

It was the first  Sizzler for me for about 3 years and it certainly wasn't as big as tonight back then. 500 or so on a tight course is just about ok but it couldn't get any bigger.

The half stone difference in weight probably explains all of the time difference between last year's and this or, in other words, your underlying fitness is probably just as high?

The reason for wanting the numbers was to see how well recovered the legs were from last Sunday's Gloucester City Marathon. As it turned out very surprised to run a solid 17:52 and HO eased away to 17:40. Now to get some 50K fitness sorted out ready for Qatar.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done on the Sizzling performances.image

I did 5.6 with this interval sesh inserted into the middle (2 min rests).

1200m 4:54, 151/158 bpm
    1200m 4:42, 155/163 bpm
    800m  3:10, 155/163 bpm
    800m 3:06, 155/166 bpm
    400m 1:32, 146/162 bpm
    400m 1:29, 148/163 bpm

"Out and backs" on the canal tow-path - "out" was into wind, "back" was with wind.  So 6:24/m for the 12s,  6:16/m, for the 8s and  6:06/m for the 4s. Tough - especially the 800s image.

5 mile race on Sunday which will take me over 40 miles for the week with another 40+ on the bike - the race looks a bit lumpy but PB guaranteed as it's my first official 5 miler.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

34:20 at the 5 mile race at Birkenshaw ... some proper Yorkshire hills in there so happy with that.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Quiet here!image

8.25 miles last night (Tues) and then 16 miles this morning (Wed) ... no significant carb intake since Sunday night. Went well today ... 9:04/m for the first 10 and then 5.25 miles at 8:10/m with avHR being under 75% maxHR, before jogging back up the hill to make it a round 16. Feel like I'm adapting well to running on no carbs which will hopefully help me get through the final miles in October.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sounds like you are going well, Dr Dan.

I've been getting through my schedule. Everytime I have a big run though the temperature seems to go up 10c. Week off schedule next week with a 5 mile race planned. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I've just been plodding away at trying to maintain a regular weekly mileage around the 20 mark. This week is week 4 of that, so am planning a parkrun on Saturday to gauge progress and then get back into a proper training plan next week before some autumn races.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Unscheduled 5K on a treadmill today ... Sky News were at the Uni wanting to do a triathlon-related story related to the Brownlee brothers, so I was the only person with runnign kit and was the stooge in the background during the filmingimage. First came the following live FB bit ... followed by shorter live TV report and other VT filming.

https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1428942617120331/?pnref=story

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Fame at last Dan. image These Brownlees are phenomenal really though, to do all the swimming and cycling and then still blast off a 10k at the pace they do. Will be interesting to see their swim/bike/run splits at the end of this race.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

A 28 min 10k at a rough guess (including jogging then walking the last 100m)! Unbelievable. Seriously, I wonder what sort of time he would do in a track 10,000m?