The Middle Ground

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done on the continued streak and years mileage , Alehouse.

Andrew, I think that's a reasonable target for you to chase down. Sometimes you just have to manipulate other parts of your day to get the runs in. I shall be taking slightly long lubches twice this week to do an interval session and a 10 miler. They'll get the time back though.

Well done on the long runs, WP. 

Still going well, Dr Dan.

Today is day 1 of London sch. Started a bit early to accommodate a 10-14 day recovery period end of January for a minor op. 

• DT - wow, London schedule already! Seems like a long one, even taking into account inevitable quieter weeks around Christmas and your op. Hope you don't find yourself a bit burnt out by the time April swings around!

You are right that I should be able to achieve 2017km next year all things being well injury wise, but I am not so lucky with my work to be able to fit training into the working day. A longer lunch wouldn't be considered I don't think (even though you are right that they would get the time back!).

Alehouse - I know your current streak is a couple of years but what is your longest in the past? I am finally catching up with my old issues of the RW magazine (which I get free with my bank account, bizarrely) and read the article about a guy in the US who, as well as being the 'founder' of modern records keeping, did a streak of about 41 years up until a few years ago.

WP - I loose track, are you currently in training for a specific race?

I ended up having a cutback week last week (due to circumstances), so the 4 weeks since my last injury setback have been 12.5, 14, 14.5 and 11. Not setting the world alight, but a start! 16 planned this week, which was kicked off with a 5 last night. Aiming to do a parkrun on NYE to assess where I stand going into 2017.

• AD: longest streak in the past was just over 13 years but then broke a bone in my foot. Tried to run on it...and failed! Streaking works for me, but doesn't suit everyone: if I miss a day I might as well miss a week. Or more! 

I have all the RWs since it was "Jogging Magazine"! Lots are unread and some are still in their plastic wrappers! Don't know why I keep them!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Andrew: No not training I am in winter training easing back but getting some nice longer for me miles in until NYD when it all begins againimage Already entered my first race of 2017 a half in March I ran it last year whilst coming back from injury so would like to better my timeimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Alehouse - 13 years is mightily impressive. I'd be delighted with myself (and actually a little worried about being on t he precipice of injury) if I did 13 days in a row!! Rarely do more than 4 or 5 in a row to be honest.

WP - I should think that so long as you steer clear of injury you must be nailed on to beat that time from this year! 12 mile runs in base training - yikes!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

13 years!image Bliddy heck! image

Andrew - keep building!

WP-  enjoy the off-season! But not too much! image

DT - good to hear someone else will be suffering through the cold months in preparation for April.

I'm going to target NYE parkrun at the parkrun genesis site, Bushy Park. Usually do it NYD (and probably will again) as we tend to stay with my brother's family ... but it is not a morning for fast running. However, NYE is ideal!

Tuesday was 2x 1 mile and 1x 800m as park of week 3/12. Usual bike commuting, and today is the double run commute. Planning to parkrun and long run this weekend. Still low-carbing too.

• I just entered my second race this is an 8 miler last Sunday in January last time i ran this race was 2005...eek would love to get near my time especially as pre injury and off course i have aged 12 years double Eek

Andrew: You can do this one day at a timeimage

DR Dan; was it cold this morning? it was -7 I had to resort to my treadmill second time this winter!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nah, it's a 16 week schedule but will need 4 weeks out and the time out in January is a clear 10 days of no exercise so that will provide an opportunity to reset and start again. 

my workplace takes a more rounded approach to things. I took a 90 minute lunch today and did 10 miles. Tonight I'm hangingaround until 6 to them attend a drinks function until 8. If someone told me I couldn't take 30 minutes extra for lunch in the circumstances, then my goodwill would face away and if be leaving at 5 to do it instead if the function. 

That's some streak, Alehouse.

I've got a decent chunk of races entered next year. 

I was considering a parkrun on nye. Just depends on weather and what I'm squeezing in the days before it. 

• DT - you are of course right, but the difference between how employers should act and how they shouldn't often is quite large! (and a reason why I no longer bother putting in the extra hours for them at the beginning or end of the day!)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yep, they've already lost your goodwill which is a rubbish way to operate and get the best from people.

XC for me again tomorrow. Another Birmingham league hammering, plodding in at the back of the field! All good training though.

Dr Dan, I was looking at that 10k schedule from the book. I quite fancy having a go at that at some point. I think if you tagged a few miles onto the long runs it would serve pretty well as a half schedule as well. Every run looks like it wants to hurt you which for a one off cycle might be a good thing.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

WP - ouch to -7!

DT - hope the XC wasn't too bad. RE: The FIRST 10K plan ... it does look harsh! ... but as you know, I'm not really following it too closely. I am using the intervals schedule and also general principle of x-training by bike commuting, But the tempo is replaced by parkrun, and the hard "LR" is replaced by a longer/slower LSR and two easy 5 mile runs. Talking of which...

6.9 miles on Saturday, inc 20:25 parkrun. And then 15 miles (hilly ones) early on Sunday morning. I am into a good routine now but am working away in London for 3 days next week (I'll only miss my interval session) and I'm sure Xmas will disrupt it. But probably the best Nov/Dec training to date.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

xc went well Saturday. I was a minute quicker than the first fixture 3 weeks ago for exactly same distance but with 400foot additional climbing. Average pace 6.32 for 5.95 miles of mud and climbs. My faster time was also directly reflected in results based on those I finished around.

Followed it with 15 with 13 at mp plus 30 seconds Sunday. Was pretty tough on the legs after xc but came out smack on 7.18 target.

I have a 10 mile race Sunday. It is the only distance I've not had a pb in this year (though it's my only attempt) so hoping to clean sweep. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Excellent XC and 15 LR there DT. Fingers crossed for the clean sweep.

I had a bit of a scare on Tuesday when I went over on my ankle towards the end of my intervals session (stepped off the edge of the tarmac tow-path when turning around). Had to walk back and it did swell up and bruise ... but my (very wet) 5 mile run to work today was fine, so think I got away with it. Phew.

• 16 last week (as scheduled). Plan is to maintain at this level for this week and next.

Good luck Sunday DT - sure you'll smash it.

Dan - glad to hear that the injury doesn't seem as bad as you first feared.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I've rolled my ankles a few times and experienced a sense of doom but I've always seemed to get away with it. 

Good work, Andrew. You just need to reach a level and try and get some consistency.

On that note my mileage year to date gives me a 52 week average of 25 miles. Obviously there have been holidays and illness when I've not run and there are 3 weeks left. I've also done in excess of 100 spin classes. 

Plan Sunday is to try and run at just under 6.20 pace, with pb pace 6.26. Looks like I've just avoided the worst weather. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

63.26 on watch today for 55 second pb. pretty pleased with that. Went through 6.2 miles on watch at 39.03 so my 2nd fastest 10k and only 14 seconds off a pb.  Same with 5 miles as well. Suggests i should really pb in both those distances if i had an opportunity. 

• Great stuff DT - and plenty of scope for further pbs in the near future if you can get some races pencilled in.

I completed my planned week and did 16.5 miles, so keeping the consistency going for another week at least.

• Well done, DT! Does indeed sound like there are plenty more PBs to be had!  

And well done on the consistency, AD: keep it going...for a lot more than another week!!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yep, I'll try and save some for next year now!

I've raced 25 times this year. Four were xc and there were 4 races I didn't attack as a pb effort. I've had 10 pbs out of 17 attempts, however over 2 halfs, a 10k and a 5 miler, as a cumulative total I have missed pbs by 45 seconds over 4 races. That is off the top of my head so might be slightly inaccurate.

Yes, as Alehouse says, just need to keep it going, Andrew.

17 miles today. Was aiming for 7.40 pace but I just felt really good and couldn't slow down so came out 7.25.

• OMG you guys are still on here talking!!!

Anyway hello image

I might come back from time to time from Jan as I am back working four days a week and going to be training a bit more, but in the meantime I am hoping to read some and get to know you all a bit more (and again for some of you!).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi curly.....yes people dip in and out but it still goes on!! Look forward to hearing more from you.

5 miles today at 'Long tempo' which is sort of between MP and hmp. Came out 6.37 which was pretty much smack on target though it felt hard work following Sunday's race and Tuesday's long run and the fact I was lap a race course and 3 of the 5 were into the wind. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Great 10 mile DT - cracking year for you.

Hello Curly! image

I'm on a recovery week image. Actually, I was feeling pretty drained on Friday night, and thought I was going down with lurgy so abandoned parkrun. A day off was needed and I did my 15 mile run on Sunday. Then Mon-Wed I was working in London, so didn't run, and consequently Thursday's 2x run-commute was turned back to bike-commuting due to not having any clothes at work. Biked again today because I needed to be in a suit (hate runnign with a rucksack!) ... so I've now decided to utilise the fresh legs for a hard parkrun tomorrow and another 15 hilly miles on Sunday.

• Afternoon!

Good to see you Curly! Hope all is well! Consistent consistency is the way to go remember!

Day 867 today, I think! Relatively long run for me, just under 70 minutes. Got the tram to Old Trafford (had to drop my time sheet in at the town hall!) and ran back largely along the Mersey. Antiquated systems sometimes have their advantages! Takes me to 2154k for the year thus far.

• Hello Curly - I think you may have departed your own thread around the time I started posting on here, so I doubt you'll know me - all you need to know for the time being to summarise the last 6 months of messages is "injured"!

Dan - no harm in a recovery week here or there, probably does you good in fact.

DT - sounds like a good run so soon after a race.

A particularly nasty 24 hour vomiting bug laid me low on Monday/Tuesday and has caused a rejig of the schedule. So may fall a bit short of the last two weeks' mileage this week.

• Morning all! Good weekends I hope?

Dan how did the parkrun go? No excuse for not running while down in Town though - some fab running routes down 'ere.

Alehouse thats some good mileage going on there. And a nice use of errands to get the run in.

I would be happy with consistent at the moment image

Andrew bad luck! Although sounds like you are doing some more now (bugs aside!)

I did a 7.5 mile XC "race" on Saturday, unfortunately I had run pretty hard on Thursday at track so I seem to have given my hamstring a going over. I made it round for the team, but had to skip yesterday as it was so tight. A 5am get up this morning for a meeting in Leeds (4 hours travel time!) means I wont run until tonight and then just a little jog test to see how it is.

Actually for once not coaching tomorrow as we have a special Xmas session on so should have time to let it recover over the coming days.

I need to book some proper races as that will get me training properly, which would mean my body would be ready for XC two days after track and not give me niggles!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Alehouse - nice 70 min river run.

Andrew - - hope you're over the bug.

An easy week plus some carbs didn't impact much on parkrun ... 5 second improvement - 20:20 for 17th place. But a steady improvement over the past couple of months ...

08/10 21:01
    15/10 20:49
    29/10 20:43
    19/11 20:36
    03/12 20:25
    17/12 20:20

...and hoping for a good one on the flat Bush Park course on NYE.

• Managed to re-jig things and did 14.5 miles this week (which was only a couple down on what had originally been planned pre-bug). Still nothing special but that makes seven weeks in a row of reasonable (by my current standards) mileage, so after a couple of inevitably quieter weeks over Christmas I'm hoping to kick on a bit more in the new year.

Dan - really good consistent progress in your times there. Let's hope it continues!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan, that looks like good steady progress. 

You must have genuine expectations of sub 20 pretty soon. 

I see a lot of people posting in various forums about vomit bugs. Thankfully I've not had one in several years. 

Curly, I do find that when I'm in schedule and also racing a lot as I have this year I seem to be able to move from session to session pretty quickly. 

I managed an interval session Saturday morning before family weekend began, giving me about 35 miles for the week plus a couple of spin sessions. 

• Afternoon!

Nice set of parkrun figures, Dan! Hope the trend continues!

Curly: hope you are doing plenty of stretching to keep the injuries at bay! I most do better in that respect!

Had a pleasant 80 minutes around the Mersey valley this morning, much of it with AOH from other threads. Came out at 14k, which was  the longest run of the year. I have entered the Last Friday of the Month in Hyde Park on 30th: will probably run quite hard this week and then back off from Christmas day.

• Morning

Hello Curly I know I joined after you had left.

I am finally over my bug nearly 3 weeks with it  so back again 9 miles yesterday-yay

Andrew: great you are back running againimage

Dan:Those stats look goodimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression