The Middle Ground

Comments

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    DT..Nice intervals.

WP & Andrew ... welcome back from the lurgy. I have been lucky so far.

Alehouse ... another long one!

Invented my session today as I left my schedule at work but was working from home ... I did 4.8 miles with 2 x 1.25 miles at 6:25/mi off a 90s rest. Bike only tomorrow.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Merry Christmas all.

Festive parkrun today. Ran it at just below full effort (parkrun is actually quite enjoyable  like that) coming out at 19.12. Felt more like just faster than 10k effort, which is what hr stats suggest. 

Few days rest and over indulgence then back to it midweek. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Can't believe you disappeared for over 3 years Curly! Welcome back...

image today...will let you do your thing though.

as ahem, I slip back off to the other thread....hope all is well with the rest of ye imageimage

• Hi SG!

Well done today Curly!

No parkrun today as wasn't feeling great: wish I'd gone to my nearest now as Hilly  and BR made an appearance!

And Happy Christmas all: 

http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/preview/flash/bws8Shell_fps24.swf?ihost=http://ak.imgag.com/imgag&brandldrPath=/product/full/el/&cardNum=/product/full/ap/3132942/graphic1

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hah wasnt exactly fast though. Stevie you would have had first place with that time most weeks you just got done by a super speedy turning up!

Great progress Dr Dan - NYE you are doing Bushy? We were planning on Bedfont again but I may be able to peel hubby away to say hi (we have another race at Midday!).

Alehouse - I wont be working on Fridays from Jan so am looking forward to sneaking in a few last Friday's. The only thing at the moment is they have to use the B course because of Winter Wonderland and it can be busy...

Nice parkrun DT19 I wouldnt mind 19:12 for 10K effortimage

• I don't mind the B course too much, Curly: at least everyone is in one race and I like to pick people off. The last couple of times I have done the main course I have been put in the B race so tend to be at the front end of that. Not sure either the course or which race I am in make much difference to me!

And I wouldn't mind 19:12! Or even 20:12! My last 3 LFoMs have been 21:56, 20:55 and 21:12 so my A target is 20:54, B 21:11 and C is 21:55!  Am aiming to be there on March 31st, subject to getting a cheap train!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Aley, I'm intrigued by this 2 courses, and one course is split into 2 races!

Can you remind me which is which, and why they split one of them?

Will have to do this when it gets a bit warmer, and maybe organise one you're both doing.

• Answered on your own thread! Don't know why they split one and not the other.

• I have also done both (back end of the fast race and front of the slow). I prefer to be at the back as well. It makes sense to split given the narrow underpasses.
    To be honest at £2 a race I dont really mind either way. image

• And there are more dog walkers, pram pushers and cyclists around the lake, so two smaller fields makes sense. And at £2 I don't mind either!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

£2 is incredible scenes, reminiscent of club only type series races.

I just paid £11 for a 5k on Boxing day, and I'm sure some 5k race put on by a rotary club was more than that in October!

In some ways though, i sort of prefer paying to do a race, almost makes it feel more of an "occasion" image

• LFoM is a fiver to you, SG, unattached as you are!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ahh, i might have to sort that sooner rather than later.

Although, i'd then have to buy the vest, and i'm a bit all or nothing, so not sure i'd want to get back in with a club and not do all their stuff. And possibly not up to that yet.

• Loads of spare vests at our clubhouseimage

• I would think most clubs would be more than happy to have you as a member, SG. And you don't have to do everything. Our best runners are very selective and road/country-wise we only ask them to be available for the northern and national road relays and the xc equivalents. 

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Hello all, happy belated Christmas!

I've been very lazy over the last few weeks - been feeling tired and over worked - but have started running my short (2.5 mile) commute both ways this week. The aim is to keep is 'easy' which for seem reason often feels harder on my body then my normal pace. image

I've been trying to run by HR but I'm finding it tough - my max is aroind 200, but keeping it below 150 is very difficult without some serious (and mind numbing) plodding.

Couple more (newbie) questions: is training HR harder on undulating terrain? I find staying in the 'easy' zone pretty tricky up any sort of hill.

Also, how much variation should I expect, day to day? I'm finding that sometimes I can run the same route in the mid 7s and my HR stays below 150; other days, I'll be noticeably puffing when trying to run mid 8s!

We going to do any sort of year round up posts? Always enjoy them. image
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Hi Curly - always good to see an old face returning!

• MYOX I would politely suggest that if you are trying to run to HR that you stop worrying about plodding and speed and worry about HR. It is harder up a hill but that is the point. If you are committed to it then you'll slow down once you hit an incline. Gobi (not sure he is still around) was the master of heart rate training and always went out plodding when not doing sessions.

Yes you will see Day to say variations, much as we do with legs and how they feel. They get lesser with more miles in the legs, but worth checking the contacts.

I have on wrist HR and use it for easy runs (just put my watch to that screen), but I don't use it as a primary training method because I don't find it as motivating as running to feel. I rarely use the watch except post run (same in races these days) and trust the legs more, and head as it's the final factor in fatigue I find. Dr Dan does heart rate doesn't he?

Hey Mr V, long time no chat!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope you had a good break?

Myox, I train to some extentby reference to HR. If I'm after a recovery effort I ran to sub 140 hr  average. What pace that throws out on a couple of routes I use ranges from 7.50 to 8.30 dependant how much training fatigue I have, how much sleep, other stress, weather etc. 

In other runs I try to balance getting the pace and hr as close to target sometimes with both landing and sometimes both missing slightly. I don't want to hit the pace but have hr miles out, I'd rather be a few seconds off pace and only slightly off my target hr.

I mostly ticked over this week with medium distance easy efforts. Today I did 18 miles at Mara pace plus 45 seconds. Came out 7.33 so a bit faster than 7.35 target, however hr was where I wanted it. Felt a bit tired in the legs last couple of miles which was disappointing. 

• So, LFoM in Hyde Park. I hadn't planned for the weather! Freezing fog and very cold indeed, although no ice. 21:13 by my watch although 21:16 officially. Didn't quite make my B target but given the conditions am quite happy with the run, knowing that I am likely to go faster in warmer conditions.

A reasonable year's training: 366 days, with 2237.49 kilometres covered, exceeding the target of 2016 in 2016. 

Talking of which, I hope some thread members will target 2017 in 2017, whether kms or miles!

And happy new year! Trust 2017 is a good one!

• Wow DT19 I have never been able to put that sort of run on in training - great work! I wouldnt worry about feeling tired that is the point, to mimic fatigue on race day. I normally do marathon long runs at MP + 2 mins and didnt have any trouble re: drop off in pacing last time.

I did do some fast finishes though which I did find very useful so maybe 15 miles + 5 at MP.

alehouse are you a fair weather racer thenimage

Good year's training, I dont tot up anymore so I have no idea but I'm sure taking 6 months off training from Feb didnt help the mileage. No targets for 2017 except one time target for 5k and to race a 5000m on the track (hope to kill two birds with one stone here!).

Fun race in Richmond park today relay in teams of 3, each with a fast, medium and slow runner.

Fast runs three laps, medium two and slow one. Each lap is 1.3m xc around a wood so slippery and not flat. We were in 5th after leg 1 (with me doing fast) and ended up there at the end as well, despite a brief spell in second place. Still ran some fast miles and shook out some of my newly arrived cold. Early night and lemsip for me. Dont party too hard, double parkrun long run tomorrow image

• No parkrun(s) for me tomorrow Curly: legs are a bit mashed after yesterday and today (Burnage pr). And yes, ideally I would indeed be a fair weather racer (and trainer!) if I could be! Unusual conditions yesterday! Enjoy 2017! For a long time I didn't record my runs but keeping a log since the start of 2014 has helped motivate!

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭

Thanks, Curly, DT19. I'll probably stick to HR for proper recovery runs but run everything else a little more by feel. Good job on the races and (fast!) training runs.

Amazing yearly mileage, alehouse! I'm going to go for 2017 km in 2017, so I'll probably pop in and out of that thread. Consistency is the goal. Trying to run slower has actually been an eye-opener; while I can run at a decent pace, I've not actually got much aerobic base when trying to run regularly, and when already a bit tired. 

Ran the final Parkrun of the year today: came out at 18:38. Was feeling a bit tired and leggy after the last three days running commutes, especially after a bit of a Christmas break, so it didn't ever look like getting

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭

... sub 18 was on. Briefly entertained giving myself a break but in the end I really went for it: just didn't have it in me today.

Still happy with progress in the year: only actually ran 385 miles in the end, with copious breaks and marriage in between. 

Hope everyone has a good one tonight. image

*For some reason, I couldn't add this part to the previous post.

• Happy New year Guys lets hope 2017 is a great year with Health and happiness which equals runningimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

You too Welshpoppy

Hope everyone is training well?

A decent week, despite a cold and a 4 mile run today in central London this evening (travelling to Paris for work tomorrow so may not get a run in and definitely missing running club).

I'm not sure how many of you know about why I have had so much time off from training, but long story short I struggle to metabolise fat so often have low energy levels and can get very unwell quite quickly if I am not careful. In addition, I have been doing a very stressful job and got married in June (woot!), so training just got pushed to the bottom of the list.

However, I am probably at the level where I can begin working with my coach again, although at a much reduced level from before. I also now have a shiny new bike and have been cycling the 10 miles to work 2-3 days a week for the last 5 weeks so that is helping the cross training.

Next Friday I start ballet to help my flexibility and hopefully it will be uphill from here. I dont think I will get back to my 80 miles a week training, but I would like to get back in 5k shape. I'll skip marathons for nowimage

2017 is going to be a good one image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year all.

I managed 1405 miles last year, so comfortably over the 2016km. I think 2017 miles would be too much. I did also do 105 spin sessions. 

Curly, sounds like you've had a lot going on. Sometimes we have to remember running is only a hobby!

Due to circumstances on weekend coming I had to follow Friday's 18 with this week's long run of 20, today. I sat nicely at 8mm and it was very comfortable all the way through, much to my surprise. Sat here now, I've felt worse after 10 milers. 

Curly, the reason my long runs are faster than normal is because I follow a low mileage schedule which is supplemented with x training hence the spin classes. What you lose in mileage you make up in the paces. For some reason the way I run at easy pace and volume I get niggles and injuries. I've looked into it and it is a 'thing'. 

It's the County xc champs saturday. Most of my incentive will be racing my own clubmates really, of which 18 are running. 

Myox, good parkrun to end the Year. What are the goals in 2017?

Alehouse , decent effort in the conditions and decent stats for the year. I do find putting everything on Garmin connect can.provide a great boost. I can now look back on my training runs and make a direct comparison to this year's corresponding runs which is in the main positive. On which point December is my highest mileage month since March 2015. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Lol you have a thing DTimage

I also have county champs at the mud fest that is Lloyd Park, we were second last year and I scored (holy knows how), so team has a lot to liver up to! Win will go to Aldershot as usual of course, but might be touching a medal depending on who comes from other teams!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Morning all and Happy new year!

You will recall in my last update that my plan for the end of 2016 was to keep ticking over with easy running and then to do a parkrun on NYE to assess current fitness.

Largely managed to tick over the mileage that I had intended to and did the parkrun in 22.31. This time sits about midway between my best and worst parkrun times of the year, and was comfortably quicker than I expected considering my training (or lack of it) in the second half of the year. So all in all I was quite satisfied and hope that it provides a base from which to build in the early part of this year.

To this end, I got out for 4 miles yesterday which came in at about 30 seconds per mile quicker than easy running has for some time, but it all felt comfortable so I didn't try and slow it down at all.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done on the holiday period training folks and a Happy New Year - I have been PC-less for a while and can't cope with this forum on a phone. December was OKish for me - came in at 127 miles with another 97 on the bike. Got in 4 x 15 mile runs, 3 x interval sessions and 3 x parkruns (20:25, 20:20 and 20:16), so a good mix despite the reduced volume. I was hoping for a sub-20 at Bushy Park on NYE but the trail/grass sections probably compensated for the flatness, and it came out similar to Woodhouse Moor ... but 20:16 on the last day of 2016 has a nice ring to itimage

2016 came in at 1307 miles running, 2146 cycling and 17.6 miles swimming. Like DT, I've been going with a lower volume approach but with cross-training and a good lump of intensity. Just under 5 weeks until the Dewsbury 10K ... hoping for a solid January starting from today.... first bike commute and 6 x 800m planned for later.