The Middle Ground

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about 2017 targets and would welcome your advice.

Obviously my first target is to stay relatively injury-free and get some consistent weekly mileage going. Assuming that is possible, I'm thinking I can easily fit in 20-22 miles a week around my work and family commitments, and hopefully without pushing myself to injury again, so am planning to stick to that for the next 3 or 4 months and see how that goes before deciding whether to up the mileage a bit.

In terms of race times, here are my pbs and targets:

5k - pb 20.42, target 19.59

5 mile - pb 35.32, target 33.59

10k - pb 45.07, target 42.59

All of those pbs were set in 2015, and current form would suggest that I am someway behind pb form (22.31 on NYE parkrun for instance, albeit not off any kind of specific training since the first part of 2016).

Realistically I think I would be happy just to get back close to setting pbs, but it is good to have some slightly more challenging targets to aim for too.

Any thoughts?

Dan - some more good parkruns there. Further progression, sub-20 can't be far away!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Andrew - your first targets will get you into a good place. And if you can get to a point of running 30-35 miles per week, things will get much easier.

My main target for 2017 is a sub-3:30 marathon ... and then some - I have London and Chester in the calendar. I'd also like a few sub-20 5Ks (only did one in 2016, plus another 11 sub 20:xx). I still dream about another sub-40 10K but that might be far-fetched (best in 2016 were 41:38 and 41:43). And of course I'd like a sub-90 HM ... although not sure where I can fit that one in.

Today's 6 x 800m went OK ... it was windy, so I did out and back 400m on the canal (well quarter miles actually, based on the mile markers) so each was wind neutral and identical. Average pace was 6:17/mile.

1, 3:09, ???/??? bpm
    2, 3:08, 148/158 bpm
    3, 3:09, 147/158
    4, 3:06, 150/161
    5, 3:08, 150/162
    6, 3:12, 151/160

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done on the parkrun, Dr Dan.

Andrew, I would see the key targets as simply getting back to pb shape, though with consistentbyear round training there's no reason you couldn't hit those targets.

My aims for year are-

1. Remain injury free and in full enjoyment of it.

2. Sub 85 half.

3. A successful marathon schedule and to get as close to 3 hours as possible. I may well have two goes this year with the potential to run the inaugural Birmingham marathon in October. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps, sounds like I am not being too optimistic then so long as I can stay consistent and injury free (easier said than done!).

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

AndrewD if you have been there before it is always easier to get back! Focus on keeping consistent consistency and go from there.

I am attending a coaches development day on 15th Jan and one of the topics is goal setting - it is a hard thing to do, but I like stretching goals. Not everyone responds to that though.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Curly - in 2015 I went from doing a 5k in 23.26 in April (so, a minute slower than my current form) to a pb of 20.42 in September (and actually ran a 20.46 in August), so I know that 4/5 months of decent training has got me to those pb levels in the past. Hopefully I can replicate and, as you say, knowing that I have done it in the past gives me more hope that it can be more easily achieved now.

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    AndrewD: I'm sure you'll get there! Hope you avoid injuries. Good training speed, Dr Dan!

2016: 385 miles; highest weekly mileage was 30 miles. Fairly pathetic I suppose. image

Started running at beginning of year, so PBs galore!

5K: 18:31(Nov)

10K: 39:14 (Oct)

HM: 1:35ish (Mar)

Aims for 2017:

Parkrun: as close to 17:30 as possible.

At least 6 fell races.

Marathon at some point? (as close to 3:00:00 as possible)

My main aim is to get some consistent mileage, running a bit slower. Going for the 2017 km in 2017. Looking forward to it!
  • AD, Myox: as Curly says, consistent consistency is the key. A helping of gradual progression as well. And as you say, Myox, running much of it more slowly: "slow is the new fast". Remember Rome wasn't built in a day..."Buhoro buhoro ni rwo urungendo!" Read the latter in "Running the Rift", a novel about running in Rwanda during times of conflict: "Slowly, slowly a bird builds its nest".

Day 4 of 2017 completed, making the present streak 886 days. 30k of the 2017k down, 1987 to go! 

Aims for 2017:
    - injury and illness free;
    - 365 days running;
    - at least 2017k;
    - 80% WAVA (would need 20:35 for 5k or 42:51 for 10k)
    The last aim may be a toughie but who knows!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Myox,  you obviously have a lot of potential if you can run 18.31 off 385 miles so will be intresting to see what you could achieve off some consistent and solid mileage. 

That begs the question, why marathon ambitions? It takes a goodbut of aerobic development, via mileage to run a decent marathon. I wouldn't even consider one until you have a half time that is even remotely comparable to your other times. 

5 x 1k on treadmill last night followed by core session. The running want fine but my entire upper body now hurts. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

DT19 I was going to say the same (but a bit more bluntly!) last night...

MXOX I am by no means a speed monster, but my 5k time is 19:14, half 1:28:51 and full 3:15:28...

The full was set 1 month after the half and the 5k one week before so they are quite aligned. When my half time was 1:35 I was running maras at about 3:30 times. Its pretty normal for those who have relied on speed to sturggle to convert their shorter distance times at the marathon. Not impossible but usually requires a lot of mileage building over consecutive attempts...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Equally at the end of Feb I ran 1.25 half then in tbe two weeks prior to London a 39.31 10k and 19.03 5k. You will see my half time is on paper way better than the other two times, but I only managed 3.08, probably due to the fact I average about 30 miles a week. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)

Equally at the end of Feb I ran 1.25 half then in tbe two weeks prior to London a 39.31 10k and 19.03 5k. You will see my half time is on paper way better than the other two times, but I only managed 3.08, probably due to the fact I average about 30 miles a week. 

You ran your half pb two weeks before london image

Agree about the 3:08 being a lack of miles, loads of men in my running club have amazing times to half, but never quite achieve their potential at the marathon, but then they dont want to train 80 miles a week.

You can "cheat" distances up to a half off low mileage. The marathon bites back if you do that (in general, for most people, there is always one who can pull it off!).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

No, half was end of Feb so 7 weeks before. The 10k was 2 weeks before and was 5 seconds short of pb and parkrun was weekend before and was a pb. 

There are just so many factors involved in running a good marathon and so many things that can go wrong that wouldn't in a half. 

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Morning all!  Happy New Year!!

Did someone say they want to run a marathon?  Muppet.

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Yes, good thinking both. I'll target a HM before a full one; I'm not really bothered about a marathon for the sake of it, just want some challenging aims. The Sheffield HM is a possibility, but it's very hilly.

Once I get some more consistent mileage I'll see what I feel like. image
  • Good to see you, Ratzer! Doing much running?

Had a pleasant 23 minutes or so chat with Hilly yesterday whilst we ran round the inaugural Hyde parkrun (both setting embarrassingly age group records!) followed by a warm down and cafe chat that included BR.  Good to see them!

Have got my train tickets for LFoM on March 31st!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Hi, alehouse!  No running.  A lot of walking, and a decent amount of snowboarding. image  Any running leads to swelling.  How the devil are those BR and Hilly people?

I thought I'd pop in to give the benefit of my no-running experience.  Lack of exercise can be a contributory factor to weight gain.

That is all.

• BR and Hilly seem fine! Lots of parkruns plus they have upped their training with a target in mind! 

And lack of exercise does seem to be linked with weight gain...so venturing out shortly for day 891 of the current weight loss experience/fitness campaign. Needs to stop raining first though!

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Upped training.  A target.  They're both VLMing, right?

891.  image  You are a star.  Continuous continuosity never had such a fervent advocate.  So you'll be going for 2020 in 2020?  Lovely numbers for such a challenge!

• No, they are not VLMing! That's actually what I asked! Up to them to say what and where! Doubt if they can answer the "why" question though!

Got soaked as I couldn't wait any longer for my run. 45 minutes banked. Will have to do! 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

EeeUp Ratzer! image

Alehouse ... intrigue!image

First proper week back on it since the hols, although wasn't working Mon & Fri so missed those two bike commutes ...  after Tues intervals, managed 2 x 5 miles on Thurs, a 21:03 parkrun Sat (legs were not in the mood!) and then 15 hilly miles on Sunday.

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭

Ey up, all.

32.6 miles for me last week, and 3061 ft of elevation, says Strava. Both records for me.

Most of those miles were steady, though I did throw in some horrendous long hill reps. 12 off-road, muddy miles yesterday - excellent! Rest day today.

I really am amazed by that streak, alehouse. You seem to be getting a lot of Parkruns in, Dr.Dan!

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Hi Ratzer sorry to hear you are getting fat image

Alehouse I havent seen them for ages as I dont get to parkrun much anymore. How was Hyde?

Dr. Dan when you started bike commuting did it result in a reduction in volume of running? I got home last night, soaked, cold and pissed off after cycling through strike traffic and surpisingliy didnt make it out for a run. I also have very tight hips and back... wonder if my position on the bike needs looking at. I'll be somewhere near 100 miles on the bike this week as I'll be using it on Sunday as transport.

I often find the parkrun after a thursday session is hard!

MYOX long hill reps are good. Enjoy the rest.

Surrey County Champs on Saturday meant a gold medal for my team (woot!), but sadly a DNF for me as aforementioned tight hips gave me the threat of a pulled hamstring. Massage on Sunday, and its starting to feel better, but the bike commutes are not helping. First ballet class tomorrow as well just to pile on the misery/fitnessimage

Will run tonight and see how the hamstring/back is, but could definitely do with getting some more stretching in and less stress at work inimage

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Curly!  You're still here!  (I knew that.image)

Dr. D!  Still randomly throwing in huge weeks in the absolute antithesis to alehouse's continuous consistenceness!  (Get back off the thread, Ratzer, we don't need another Moraghan!)

Curly, it's not fat, it's an experiment in reduction methods.  I just needed something to test various diets and exercises on.  Did you get your bike fitted by a pro?  Worth it's weight!  Might it be overworked quads causing the tugging on the hams?  Gratz to the team!

Poor day for me yesterday with only a walk of the dog, due to a heavy cold.  Today will be better with a walk up Brandon Hill in Bristol, plus the evening walk and, now that the cold is going, the start of that 100 push ups thing.  The bike is also coming back out soon as since the New Year I've been assigned to a local office in Cardiff for two days of the week.  Those are the two days it isn't going to rain.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Curly - I think the second half of your last sentence would probably apply to most people, it certainly would to me! image

Since my last update I've continued to tick things over:

Wednesday - 3 easy miles at around 8.45 pace

Saturday - warm up mile followed by 2 miles at notional marathon pace (c 8.15 pace), then a warm down mile

Sunday - 5 miles at easy pace (around 9.00 pace) - felt a slight bit of discomfort in my knee during the last mile, so keeping an eye on that.

Fortunately, the way my week is structured, I never have a chance to run on a Monday and most weeks not on a Tuesday either, so next run will be Wednesday evening which gives me nearly 72 hours' rest following Sunday's run. Hopefully that will allow any niggle in my knee to settle down.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Ratzer yes they did bike fit as part of the process. Never been on rollers before then - was weird. I need to book in for the 6 week check so I can get them to look at it again...I think it is too high as I can barely reach the floor and it strains my toes when stopped at lights, but they said it should be that high to get the most power image I do find the gears too easy as well (I use 8 of 9 when between junctions and 9 on the flat most of the time), so perhaps its just my massive thighs causing problems...

Brandon Hill is tough! Climb the tower if you really want a workout.

Haha AndrewD but not the ballet eh. Sorry about your knee - 72 hrs rest cures most niggles.

I normally do pilates once a week as weel, but its during work hours and has fallen off over Xmas as meeting keep getting put in for that time. It is free though so cant complain too much.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Curly - yes, bike commuting all year round has resulted in lower run mileage but that's been a good thing as I have been injury free since. When I just bike commuted in the summer, I tried to ignore the bike mileage but think that's a mistake ... the 40-50 miles per week bike commuting now replaces 10-15 miles of easy paced recovery running. Like anything new, it will take a bit of getting used to.

Ratzerimage - haven't done any huge weeks for a very long time. Biggest week last year was 41 ... in 2015 it was 45 ... need to go back to 2014 to find any 50-70 scores.  Routine at the moment is 5 runs per week over 4 days (35 miles) and 8 cycles per week over 4 days (45 miles). Good luck with the push-ups and bike commuting.

Nice climbing MYOX.

Andrew - hope the knee is OK.

It's session day ... 4 x 1200m coming up at lunchtime. Uggggh.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Curly - the only tights you'll find me in are running tights, not ballet ones .... As with all these things (pilates, yoga etc) it is trying to find the time for them isn't it? Good in theory, difficult in practice (at least for me).

The thing about my knee niggle (which is a repeat of something that I had about 3 months ago) is that it doesn't hurt when walking (in fact it stops hurting about 4 steps after finishing running) so it is very difficult to gauge when it is recovered or not. We shall see how it goes on Wednesday night!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Averaged 6:33/m for the 1200s (managed 6:25/m for 2000m intervals before Xmas) ... so, a bit like Saturday's parkrun, it didn't feel great! But in the bag.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Good running Dr. Dan!

AndrewD have you had a sports massage? I know its an investment but well worth it for managing niggles.