The Middle Ground

Comments

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Well done Andrew. Keep it going!

Good going DT.  Hopefully that extra mileage will tip the balance.

For VLM 2014, I clocked 586 miles over Jan-Mar with no bike ... this time I'm on 458 miles but with 373 on the bike. Not sure what that all means but we'll find out in under 3 weeks!

parkrun and 22 miles planned for the weekend ... legs are feeling crap but just need to get it in the bag and then start to taper. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Back off soon, DT!

Reasonably pleased today! 21:07 or thereabouts. Was blustery and not been well this week so will take that. The A target was sub 21 so not too far away. Will be disappointed if I'm not well under that in the summer.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    You will be Alehouse! No doubt about that.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good effort, Alehouse. No doubt it'll come together in a few months.

Feeling quite tired now after my lunchtime run.

Backed off already a bit. 4th weekly run is now reduced from 10 to 5 mile recovery which makes a big difference.No more runs beginning with a 2 left to do either. 

good luck with the weekend plans, Dr Dan. Will you be stopping for a beer after London?
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Run Fest at Lee Valley 10k 

Lovely morning for the inaugural running of this race, which took place in a country park in Waltham Abbey. Started and finished at the white water centre where the 2012 Olympic canoeing and kayaking took place.

There was also a HM taking place, with a different start area so went to scope out the correct start area for my race during my warm up. Started bang on time at 9.45 with a loop of the canoeing course before heading out into the park for the main loop of the race. Kept the pace sensible, although slightly faster than my planned 7:30m/m before picking up to 7:05m/m for the 6th mile. My watch actually measured at 6.29 miles, and last 0.29 was done in just over 6m/m pace to allow me to dip under my target of 46 mins.

Watch said 45:56, still waiting for chip time to confirm this.

Overall, pretty happy with that and would happily recommend the event to others if they hold it again next year.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Andrew. Sounds promising with the closing pace and fact it was longer side of measurement range. I did a 5 mile race today. I had to do 5 mile at tempo anyway and conditions were good and there was a local ish no frills one happening. Went off silly fast but felt good, which was surprising as I did 22 Tuesday then 10 at mp Friday. First 2 miles came 6.03 and 6.04. I decided to see if I could go through 5k at pb pace (18.59). By this point I was in a solo time trial. Went through in 18.49 with Mile 3 6.09 pace. Mile 4 was hard going in 6.20 then mile 5 in 6.13. It measured 5.07 miles and final bit was in 5.55 pace. Came out 31.10 on watch for a good 20 second pb. Gives me a good boost at the end of a heavy week and suggests I can attack next Sundays 10k at pb pace. It leaves a question mark over why I can't perform in parkrun though.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Great stuff DT! Get yourself to a fast and flat 5k or parkrun (and if the latter, then tell yourself it is a race rather than a parkrun!).

Feeling a bit achey here today, my hips obviously aren't used to 10k at that effort level, but hopefully they will loosen off over the next couple of days.

My plan for the next two weeks is to have a couple of 'off-plan' weeks, just running easy and getting the miles in the bank, before doing a parkrun to see what improvements I've made over that distance since mid-Feb. Then get back into another (short) 10k schedule before a race late May.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - good effort. Sub 21 is around the corner.

Well down Andrew! Good to see you racing!

Great 5 miler DT - a real confidence booster. Strange about parkrun but shows it's just a mind thing rather than physical. I had my last alcohol yesterday and I am planning to drop by The Red Lion for the next one - hopefully see you there (I assume there may be the odd recognisable face).

I skipped parkrun on Saturday after a bad night's sleep but got up early on Sunday and did 23 miles at 8:55/mi. Last 3 miles were hard work and I was glad I'd missed parkrun. Glad to have that one in the bag ... 3 weeks to go and it's now officially taper time.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done AD and DT!

Decent long run Dan: now take it easy!

I'm having a back off week or two before the next 10-12 week schedule: target is my club's 5 series starting July 6th.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan, I found when I did 22 last week, the miles after 20 were hard going. Largely mentally though as in my head 20 was as much as the schedule demanded.

I aim to get to the Red Lion but not sure who else will be. Not heard from PRF in a bit. Will he be in London? I will see on the overdone thread who else is about.

I'm feeling pretty good today, not at all like I raced yesterday. Usually a sign that I'm in a decent place when I can absorb races and bigger sessions well.

One more big push this week with 13 at mp tomorrow night and a 10k race sunday. Conditions look reasonable again. I did the same race last year in 31.31 so this will give me some indication of if I am in better/same/worse shape. Based on yesterday I should realistically be shooting for sub 39 and possibly pb.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    PRF & HO have moved to New Zealand!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have they, how come? Far less accessible cities to run marathons in there!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well, the event results are out and I don't feature on them at all! So I can only assume that my chip did not work. Not sure I can be bothered to email the organisers about it, but it is annoying nonetheless.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    31:31 last year, DT?!

Not sure about many other races, but PRF/HO seem to be enjoying their parkrunning. They did run a marathon in Feb and PRF was first M50 and HO won the women's.

I would contact the organisers, AD!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, I would certainly make contact. It usually only takes an e-mail. Unless it was a very large race they will often have a rough manual record, or they will accept a garmin trace.

Sorry, that should be 39.31. I had 5 mile times on my mind.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I've just emailed them, so will see what they say.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Response already from the organisers confirming my time at 45:56 and putting me back in the results. Very impressed.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, AD: result in more ways than one!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I also gave them some 'constructive' feedback about the number of morons they had starting right at the front of the 10k who then set off so slowly, blocking a path about 150m from the start and then complained when people were bombing past them! I know not everyone will stick to it, but why do all races not have those predicted time boards up at the starting pen to at least try and get people into a moderately sensible order?
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    For reference (and so it is clear I am not a hypocrite) I started about 6 or 7 rows back (so would guess about 40-50 people ahead of me) and finished 42nd, so I think I judged it about right.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes it's an age old problem. Why though do people position themselves in such places. The last thing id want is loads of people bombing by me. That does tend to happen in parkrun though. At 400 metres I often have a good 40 people ahead of me and usually finish between 5th and 10th. It's much better doing the overtaking than vice versa. 
  • MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Evening all. 

Excellent work hitting your 10K target, Andrew, and I'm glad you actually got a result in the end! 

Looks like your 5K PB is well overdue a recalibration, DT. :) Glad the race went well.

Great effort in the Parkrun, alehouse. 

25 miles last week for me, so back on target. That included a new tempo run which I really enjoyed - a 2.5 mile loop, up then down, which I ran at 6 min/mile pace or so. Hard to be exact, because it was more like 6:45 on the way out followed a by 5:40 on the way back, but a good workout I think.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I understand it to some extent at parkrun as you 'lose' the time you take to cross the line, but it makes less sense in a chip timed race.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Myox: not a parkrun, but a "proper" race in a park! If you are ever in Hyde Park on the last Friday of a month, year round, there is a 5k at 12.30. Have to enter in advance, for the princely sum of £2. Deceptively undulating! But not as undulating as the course you describe for your tempo! Great little race which I go to a couple of times a year, fitting it in with a day trip to meet up with friends, usually. Results go onto powerof10 for ranking purposes. I am now 38th in the country for my age group. It won't last: no-one has run a 5k yet this year!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, Yes I see your point with that. It effectively makes slower people slower again!

Good training, Myox. I am thinking of following a 10k schedule from mid May through to mid July which contains some horrible looking sessions. I am hoping that will break up the half schedule, followed by mara schedule of last 2 years and yield a decent 5k performance. I do also note that people that run slower 10k times than me who turn up at parkrun every week seem much better than me at it. So I might just have 6 weeks of parkrunning every weekend I can get there.

13 at MP tonight. The last bigger session.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Good luck with that run DT. I always imagine that by this stage in marathon training people's bodies must be crying out for a rest, but you seem to sounding remarkably fresh!          

Hip feels significantly looser today, so barring any deterioration tomorrow will get out for a few miles tomorrow evening.

Needless to say, the organisers haven't replied to my suggestion about getting starters into a sensible order.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    You spoke too soon, Andrew. Was going great then about 8.5 miles I completely crashed. Couldn't get pace up over 7.20 and felt like I was wading through waist high water so called it a day at 10 to still have got a reasonably credible run in. 

I am operating at a bit of a calorie deficit at the minute as trying to scrape off the last few lbs. I possibly also underestimated residual fatigue from last week. 

I continue to race better than i train. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Ah, sorry DT! Still, 10 miles sounds like a good session still. Hope your last sentence remains true for your 10k and then, of course, London!

Lovely day here (again) - itching to get out for a run now!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, 10 miles is still a good stint. Mentally though, 13 would have been a decent boost.

In the past I have always trained very well and under performed in races, so from experience, this is a better problem to have.

I will get a 5 mile recovery in early evening. Though it's gone cloudy here now.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Bad luck DT but it's probably just accumulating fatigue.

I just bike-commuted on Mon and Tues while my legs recovered from Sunday's 23. Today is run commuting - felt OK this morning but expect the return leg will be less pleasant. Plan is: bike-commute Thurs, run-commute Fri, rest Sat, 10 mile race Sunday.