The Middle Ground

Comments

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Busy busy busy - away at the weekend and then again on Tuesday, so not much running going on! First run since last Friday was a Wed night 5K - I managed 20:01 (123 out of 373 - some fast folk there!). Also beat a chap that ALWAYS beats me at parkrun. Happy enough, especially as I had cycled 11 miles and had done 64x25m of front crawl earlier the same day, but another 2 s would have been nice. Away again in Glasgow for 2 days, so will need a good weekend of training to catch up.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I recall you doing the same last year, Dr Dan, or was that with a recent parkrun near sub 20?

I do genuinely believe that parkrun and an evening 5k are very different beasts. Certainly for me as I hate exercising before 9am even at a gentle level.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done yesterday evening, DT! And DrDan on the 20:01. Frustrating time, though!

I agree, a race at 9 a.m. is very different to later in the day. Have done 80+ parkruns but never run one hard yet: my body struggles to work at that time of day!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    High Easter 10k this morning - was aiming for somewhere in the 45:30 region, which would represent a decent improvement on my 45:56 at the start of April. You may recall the race profile looked a little uphill for 3.25 miles, then downhill for 2 then uphill to the finish.

In reality, the up hills and downhills weren't much to speak of either way (apart from a short, sharp hill at 5.25 miles. So in the end I ran a pretty even paced race of 7:14, 7:18; 7:25; 7:18; 7:20 up to 5 miles. Must confess I lost track of my pace over the 6th mile but at the finish the watch said 45:33 with the final 0.24 mile at 6:57 pace.

So in the end, pretty much dead on what I was targeting and only 26 seconds off pb now.

Two weeks recovery training then a parkrun is the plan. Aiming for 21:45.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds well executed, Andrew. How tired did you feel at the end? it's funny how a strava profile can make hills look much sharper then they are. 

Will you need two weeks of recovery running?

Nothing to report here as been away for weekend so not run since a 5 miler on Friday. Will get back on it tomorrow. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

DT - thanks. I felt like I couldn't have given any more once I reached (or should that say, retched!) the end. It was hotter than I expected and that hill in the 6th mile took a lot out of me. So I'm comfortable that, on the day, that is the best I could have done.

It was (just, by 2 seconds) my 2nd fastest 10k. Hopefuly when I next do one in the autumn I can nail that pb and sub45.

When I say recovery running, I don't mean only easy running, I just mean a reduced level of sessions and not sticking strictly to a plan, before starting another training cycle. So enough to hopefully tick over (22 miles this week for instance, which is my current max weekly mileage, but with only 1.5 sessions - long run and a short tempo session - rather than 3 sessions) and leave myself fresh for the parkrun, but without cutting back completely and losing any training benefit from the past month.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, AD, and sounds a sensible plan for the next couple of weeks.

Did my attachment get you thinking, DT?!

82 mins this morning, off road largely. Enjoyed it, probably because I had a bit of a cut-back week last week, in anticipation of running the vets relays, which didn't happen due to team shortages. I could have got a run, but wasn't going to travel for a couple of hours each way to run in the M35 race and be run out of sight!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse- Thanks for sending that through. Ive had a read and can associate with many things said. I have been complaining to my physio for a while on and off that I feel like my left ankle is locked in. Ive printed it off to work through the recommendations tonight as I sit around the house.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I've had my usual Monday/Tuesday off running and am looking forward to getting back out there tonight. Am suffering big time with hayfever the past few days though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I was keen to have a run today but couldn't get out over lunch and plans this evening. Did 3 miles at mp yesterday lunchtime. Was aiming for 5 but sun came out and I wilted away!

I am suffering mildly with hayfever as well. Just leaving a burn in my throat.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

5 miles last night in a sweaty, snotty state!

5 miles planned this afternoon, with 2 at tempo in the middle (my 'half a tempo session' for the week) - looks to be hot!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

5 miles for me later. Think I will keep them nice and easy! Planning a treadmill session for tomorrow lunchtime, away from the sun!

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Think I will keep the easy parts of the run very easy and hope that 2 miles at moderate effort is doable!

Looking scorchio for cricket on Saturday afternoon though.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well, that was pretty horrible. Done though and more or less on pace, even if the warm down mile felt horrific. Onwards ....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I ended up with 5 miles on the treadmill which which a bit boring but more pleasant than outdoors.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Had an interesting (for that, read 'disappointing') few days running. I mentioned about suffering heavily with hayfever last week. Well this also causes me to suffer with asthma and plenty of coughing/wheezing. Last Tuesday morning I had a coughing fit which caused me to put my lower back out. Luckily Tuesday was a rest day anyway.

By Wednesday evening it was still sore, but ok to run on, as it was on Thursday afternoon. Felt a lot better on Friday and did 5 miles in the afternoon again. Then about half an hour after my run I was in the garden with my daughter when she demanded to be picked up - as I did so it felt like a knife had been stabbed into my lower back again!

So no running at the weekend, but did manage 3 miles last night as a tester run.

Not ideal preparation for a parkrun on Saturday .....

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Didn't your back pull relatively recently, Andrew? 

Little to report as been away all weekend. Hoping for my first proper and full weeks training this week. Started off today with 10 x 400m. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Had a stiff neck for a couple of days in about March, but no back issues for about 18 months.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

10 x 400 went well yesterday, given I had been away all weekend and it was 9.30 in the morning.

Just threshold session on the bike today.

Ah yes, maybe it was that I am thinking of.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Was planning some intervals for tonight, but the back is still very slightly stiff and with parkrun at the weekend in mind I am going to play it safe and just do 5 easy miles instead (maybe with some fartlek bits towards the end if I'm feeling good).

Am planning a spot of parkrun tourism this weekend, with a trip to Ellenbrook Fields parkrun in Hatfield, which looks fairly flat from the course profile. Recent 10k time would suggest a 5k time of 21.50, but seeing as I always have a slight bias towards shorter races I'm hoping for 21.45 or lower (21.41 or lower would be nice, as it would bring me to within a minute of my pb).

In fact anything sub 22.03 would make it my fastest 5k since I set that pb back at the end of 2015.

Near enough bang on 7 minute pace required then.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I never seem to get to take it easy building up to parkrun. The fact that they are free sand every weekend leaves it somewhat difficult to give them the required importance to break training for.

I am thinking of a parkrun Saturday, just to get an idea of where I am at and if I am less fit following 5 weeks of not much. Following weekend is Welsh Castles race.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think because I only get to do one every 6/7 weeks or so (at most) due to home arrangements it means I can target them as race efforts rather than just something that could be done on a whim any week.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Ended up doing 5 miles on Wednesday evening with a few fartlekky sections (one where the watch even clocked sub 5 pace for maybe 150m!) and then 4.5 easy miles yesterday. Going to rest today.

Wednesday's run included a dickhead driver deciding to 'scare' me my flooring it and making as if to swerve into my path as I had to run in the road slightly to go round a couple of parked cars which were blocking the pavement.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I need to catch up! Triathlon looming and some real life stuff in the way, so still not much running from me. 160 miles on the bike in the last 2 weeks and 192 lengths in the pool too... hoping to sneak in an open water swim on Sunday. 11th June it the ITU triathlon - my wave id the Men's 50-54 British Championships, which I don't like the sound of (last year it was mixed age/ability/sex)!! Ironically, this year I am dreading the 10K run at the end more than the rest of it. Including taper, that's now 8 weeks of low mileage ... but what miles I have run, have generally been quality miles (5K race pace or MP). 20:27 at parkrun last Saturday, so I think it won't take much to reactivate things once I am back at it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Same here Dr Dan. London taper then recovery seen to have finally caught up with me. 19.29 at parkrun. Could tell at 800m it wasn't going to be great. Gave up at mile 1 with a 6.28 and 6.29 mile to follow. Didn't see point hammering myself. 

Really need to get on with proper training now. 
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    20:30 today! Yep, need to get back to work .... after the Tri.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    21:23 for me at parkrun this morning. Fairly consistent splits, but a little quick in mile 1. 6:45; 7.01; 6.53 then scraps. Good course. Over 20 seconds faster than expected, so pretty pleased.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done Andrew. I'm not sure Mike 1 was all that quick when I look at mile 3 and the scraps. It looks more like you panicked mile 1 was too fast, slowed in mile 2, then realised you had plenty left.

I did my first long run since London today. Previous longest was 8 miles. Did 15 today with over 800 foot of climbing. Was pretty comfortable, much to my surprise. 

Decent weeks training this week for first time since early April.  Feeling a bit more driven now. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    DT - you could be right! It's always a tough balancing act in mile two isn't it to keep going but to also keep enough in the tank for the last mile!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    DT: new parkrun may be of interest, although you probably know about it already! Sounds as if it will be quite a quick one! 
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/worcesterpitchcroft/ 

AD: experience has taught me to work hard in the second mile, believing that there will always be enough in the tank for anther 6/7/8 minutes hard running in the last part of the run.

And talking parkrun, ran a local, off-road, undulating one on Saturday with the aim of passing people all the way round. Surprised to find that I was the highest WAVA of the day! Doesn't say much for the standard!

AD: you seem to be reaping some rewards from more consistent training; suspect DT and Dan don't need telling that it is time for more consistent, progressive consistency post marathon!