The Middle Ground

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well predictably Bath cancelled. I managed to turn the week around with some great fun Friday and Saturday running the country lanes in some ridiculous snow. Finally got to use my yaktrak pros I bought some years ago.

Today I made the best of not racing by getting a 20 in at 7.39 average. 

I've now entered the Liverpool vitality half on 25th March. Hopefully I'll finally get a target race in. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Long run completed yesterday morning - 7.5 miles on a fairly undulating route. It felt a bit harder than the 7.5 run I did 3 weeks ago, which was on a flatter route, so hopefully that explains it.

Need to step things up, as it is only 5 weeks until my first scheduled 10k race of the year.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Got out for a supposedly easy 4 at lunch.  It felt ridiculously hard with HR hitting 170+ i.e. threshold for me and the pace came in at 8.50mm and so well off where I normally am for an easy.  Hope I'm not coming down with anything.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes sounds like you might be harbouring something, JGav.

Yes Andrew, running a hillier route would definitely be harder than a flat route.

I just did spin last night, needed a day off running. Hoping to get a medium long in tonight of circa 10  miles, albeit I think I will keep it at recovery pace and effort.

2 weeks full on training culminating in the Ashby 20 then I will cut back quite drastically to recover and taper for Liverpool. After that, London is suddenly only 4 weeks away so not a great deal of time for many more gains. Better off just staying steady and avoiding injury.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Hope the 10 mile recovery went well DT.

Does sounds like you might be on the verge of something JGav - hopefully it goes quickly!

Did another 3.5 mile tempo session tonight - paces were 7.24; 7.26; 7.20 and 7.13 for the odd half. 5.5 miles in total including warm up and down.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    AndrewD said:
    Hope the 10 mile recovery went well DT.

Does sounds like you might be on the verge of something JGav - hopefully it goes quickly!

Did another 3.5 mile tempo session tonight - paces were 7.24; 7.26; 7.20 and 7.13 for the odd half. 5.5 miles in total including warm up and down.

Tried doing my physio exercises, single leg squats on the left was a fail as whatever thigh strain I picked up has robbed me of any power on the side.  It decided for me that it is going to a swim only week.  Let's see how it feels on Sunday if I decide to go out for a run.

Decent tempo run that.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks JGav. Probably a good idea to be cautious with the thigh strain.

Well the weather forecast for the weekend looks pretty miserable, so fitting in a long run might involve just putting up with the rain.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

good tempo, Andrew.

Everyone around me in work is becoming ill, which always makes me edgy!

I'm feeling a bit tired this week. 10 miles last night at recovery effort just felt like a right old battle. 5 at mp over lunch. At least the conditions look pleasant.

Weekend doesn't currently look great.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good luck avoiding the lurgy DT.

Did an easy 4.5 mile run this evening.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    5 at mp over lunch was laboured but came out 6.38/160 for my best run of that kind surprisingly. 

I'm lucky in that I've my own office so I can take measures to avoid Every one!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Haha! You'll be known as Mr Unsociable in the office! Wish I had my own office sometimes though.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Managed 4 miles at lunch, 15 seconds a mile faster than Monday for 7bpm lower HR and that is with ta huge headwind for half of it.  I could feel the thigh but it wasn't painful and I made sure to keep good form.  Glad I waited a couple of days.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @AndrewD @DT19 I'm migrating over to the sub 315 thread.  DT posts on there and it's just the 3 of us in here anyway.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

you can still post in both, jgav. Its not one thread per person ;-)

Jgav- Often we can be harbouring a virus that if we weren't runners/cyclists etc, we would never know we had as it doesn't make us feel generally unwell. Sounds like that may have been the case for you.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

you can still post in both, jgav. Its not one thread per person ;-)

I know but with so few posting it's often an echo box.  Might as well migrate somewhere more active.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Fair enough JGav.

My problem is that I’m not training for a marathon (and never will be) so can’t join in on those threads and I’m not quick enough to fit in on the faster runners threads.

I do post on the 1000 mile thread, but that is more about counting the miles with little chat about training regimes, races, sessions etc.

I would join DT on the Overdone It thread, but I think I am too slow, so I might just take a break from posting until I am faster!!

Did an intervals session this afternoon - 3 x 1km at 6.30 pace off 4 minute jogged recoveries. Felt pretty hard by the third rep!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I'm still here! Not that I am running, although am getting closer! 

AD: that's a decent session. Around 4:03 km I think. I would like to see a shorter recovery, over time, rather than increase the pace. In a race you don't get a rest! 

Hydrotherapy for the back tomorrow, and hopefully in a week or so will venture onto the anti-gravitational treadmill.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Yep, it basically worked out at my paces to be 4 minutes hard (30 seconds per mile faster than 5k pace) then 4 minute recoveries. I thought the recoveries seemed long when I saw the session in the Daniels plan, but actually by the recovery after the 2nd rep I was glad of them before tackling the third km.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    8 miles today marks my longest run in about 2 years ? 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, AD! Wonder how long before I can run that far again! May be able to run on the anti gravitational treadmill on Friday. Can't wait!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some good running, Andrew. Room for all abilities to chat on overdone it thread. It's not exactly blessed with numbers these days.

Alehouse, fingers crossed on continued improvement. 

Friday I had to cancel my planned half day to run 20 due to work commitments so went to Worcester Pitchcroft and did a freedom parkrun. It's pretty tough running a 5k flat out alone. Came in 18.44 but strava subsequently told me I completed the actual parkrun course in 18.38 so pretty decent for a solo lunch break effort. Friday night I was at a quiz night at the rugby club so just a very low end 10 miles Saturday then recovery 5 with strides today. Pleased that recovery effort  (sub 140 hr) came out for sub 8mm. 

Big week this week then things start edging back as races creep in. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    No running this weekend, just lots of cycling (and drinking).  Going to do a medium length easy run at lunch.

Great solo 5k effort @DT19

@AndrewD I didn't realise that you don't do much longer stuff.  So much easier to go long now that the weather is significantly better/warmer/nosnow.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Yep JGav, I don't currently have the time to commit to higher mileage or to a longer long run (although it has crept up from 6 to 8 miles over the past few weeks) and to be honest I do also tend to struggle with injuries once my mileage gets past a certain point so it seems counter-productive to try and push the mileage any higher!

DT - that is indeed impressive (as much mentally as physically) to churn out a 5k solo TT at that pace.

Alehouse - good luck! How is the recovery going?

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Disaster, got to my locker at work and found that facilities had cleared it out, including my trainers.  Cue a grumpy email to them and no running.

Went an bought some new running shoes instead (a semi planned thing), hope I made the right choice, wanted some faster road shoes for races.  Went for Zoom Fly.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    New shoes Tuesday, took the Zoom Flys out for a spin. 5.6 km in 25 mins.  Garmin says an average of 4.17m/km or 6.54mm at an average of just over 160bpm.  Really pleased with that and with the shoes.  It felt like 10k pace and the pace progressed from a 4.25 (7.06) first km to a 4.05 (6.34) last km.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, jgav. Nothing like a nice new pair of fast shoes to get you moving. 

21 miles this afternoon. Kept it very easy as have a 20 mile race Sunday. Though the weather is looking to get involved again!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good stuff DT - will the 20 mile race by run at MP?

Sounds like a good progressive run JGav. It’s always a nice feeling to have enough in the tank to run the last mile faster than those before.

I did a short intervals session yesterday afternoon- 4(400m at interval pace; 400m recovery jog) then 2(200m flat out; 200m recovery jog). Paces came out at 6.21; 6.15; 6.23; 6.22 for the 400s and 5.31 and 5.18 for the 200s.

Looking back, my paces for my last 400m intervals in late January were all around 6.30ish, so some nice improvement in 6 weeks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Looks positive, Andrew.

Plan for Sunday is to run at 7mm which should be 10 seconds a mile slower than mp.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Looks like weather could indeed be a key feature on Sunday, DT

Heard from PRF the other day: he will be over for London.

Am gradually getting closer to running, I feel, and on Friday I may well run on the anti-gravitational treadmill at 75/80% bodyweight to see if there is any reaction in the back. Am still in pain but am getting back a wider range of movement: two weeks ago in a "touch your toes" type test I could barely get past my knees! The other day I could almost touch my toes once warmed up (I can normally just about get my hands flat on the floor). I have also managed to do some glute work with no reaction. The aim is to run/walk by the end of the month.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Mrs has her HM on Sunday, she was looking forward to it and now the weather forecast says it will be -1 at the start time!  eek!!!

Got out for some solo (and wet) intervals.  Managed 6 x 600m off 60 seconds rest.  Wanted to hit 6mm but legs just couldn't hold it, averaged 6.23mm, for context I did a 1h10m bike last night, moderately hard with a 10min threshold effort to finish, so I reckon it was that which has sapped me.

Onwards and upwards.

Good luck @alehouse with the rehab, must be so frustrating being injured. Good luck for Sunday @DT19 sounds like a tough run planned.