Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @DT19 I always like track sessions, hard but satisfying.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    JGav ... sounds like you're back on the game.

Nice sessions DT. I am avoiding speedwork as it tends to trigger my foot issues.

70+ on the bike last week, including a hard 20+ km group ride on Sat which we sandwiched between an open water coached swim session and a 5k run. Monday morning was 8.3 miles at MP which felt pretty good.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Was marking exam scrips at home over weekend and today ... finished at 1pm, so ran to work, delivered them, collected 13 dissertations, and ran back. 10 miles in about 90 min, excluding midway break.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    So the Dr bit of Dr.Dan is real?!

Just went with the work run club, 2x (4x2min on 60secs) longer break after the first 4.  Absolutely destroyed me, number 7 was agony and I flaked out on the 8th and cruised it home.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I've not been around here much recently as running has, to be honest, been a bit shit the past coupe of weeks!

Holiday followed by cricket at the weekend and then stupidly injuring my hip/groin has meant not much running going on at all. Luckily I am at base training stage of the year (opposite to everyone else I know, but with cricket in the mix I have decided to dial down my running over the summer anyway) but frustrating anyway!

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    AndrewD said:

Afternoon all.

I've not been around here much recently as running has, to be honest, been a bit shit the past coupe of weeks!

Holiday followed by cricket at the weekend and then stupidly injuring my hip/groin has meant not much running going on at all. Luckily I am at base training stage of the year (opposite to everyone else I know, but with cricket in the mix I have decided to dial down my running over the summer anyway) but frustrating anyway!

Enjoy the cricket season (except England's performances which are woeful), it's short enough as it is.  
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Never mind Andrew... enjoy the mix!

JGav... yep, indeed! It's marking season for me. :-(

Talking of which.... marked all day at home today so didn't manage anything... not even my usual commit. However, I did get out for a swim with the club last night - usually can't make it due to dad's taxi duties ...but it's half term. :-)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the work session, JGav. 

So tell mevthis Dr Dan, how badly do students with atrocious hand writing suffer with exam paper marking? 

Yes, just enjoy the mix Andrew.

spin and pump combo last night followed by 5k at recovery this morning. Then 10 miles tonight with 6 at my steady 160 bpm efgort. came out 6.39 for 161 but was really tough going in what was ridiculous humidity. Still sweating now. 
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
     really tough going in what was ridiculous humidity. Still sweating now. 
    Every run is a sweatfest with this stupidly high humidity.  Reminds me that I need to drink more and maybe add some electrolytes/salt in.

Swam this morning, hip is playing up after runs, just going to monitor and keep the distances down for the moment.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Yep ... agree with the sweat-fest!! 11.6 miles this afternoon and if was humid. Longest run since Chester marathon last October!! Legs felt good though.

DT ... bad handwriting is a pain for the msrker but in the end it's the content. Very very occasionally it's so bad you can't mark it at all... but we have systems for this involving transcription services.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, I tend to take a zero high before or after a run in warm weather. 

Dr Dan, are you going to start a mara schedule soon? I've always wondered how it worked as I have terrible handwriting and of course that worsens in exam conditions.  in uni I was advised for exams to only wrote single sided and underline every piece of caselaw or key point. 

15.5 today to give 46 for week. I couldn' get put until 10 by 10 miles it was warming up nicely. last 3 were tough work.

Welsh castles next Sunday. I'm leg 18 which has just been reduced to 7.3 miles which is disappointing as it' a 3.5 hour round trip and just over 10k barely seems worth it. still it' a good time up for wilsmlow half 2 weeks later, which I don' see much good coming out of based on how I feel.

on a plus I did 174 miles in may. Last year it was 95 so hopefully I'll have a better summer this year from that. 
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    So first race of the season yesterday, Blenheim Palace Sprint Triathlon 740m 20k 5.4k.

I wasn't taking it too seriously in the build up, was supposed to be a gear test and a fun day out, then the horn went... The swim is a long straight then a 90 degree turn a straight to the boathouse pontoon.  I managed to position well at the beginning and had some feet to follow (it all helps with my atrocious sighting).  Quick sight check and went straight out of the water in 14.23, massive improvement for me on my previous 18min at that distance.

Then it's a full on 400m slog up a steep hill from the lake to the palace, with a wetsuit restricting your lower body, however there was amazing support with lots of friends and family there shouting.  A little right hand turn and into the Palace courtyard, well laid out and well signposted, for once I didn't get lost, quickly out of my wetsuit and into bike gear before heading out onto a traffic free 3 lap course.

Straight out of transition, I slipped off the pedals so looked down to figure out what was wrong, heard some shouting from spectators and so I looked up and just managed to avoid hitting the barriers.  Caught the handlebars slightly, straightened the bike up and carried on.  Quickly realised the handlebars weren't perfectly straight but good enough to continue on.  Three laps of beautiful grounds, the course wasn't too busy but much hillier than expected.  A girl on a pink bike with full carbon disc came wooshing past me and I had to get my 'manliness' into check as she was clearly a much better cyclist than me and I was never going to chase her down.  A couple of guys in aero bars came past quickly, one quickly went off into the distance but the second just held there as a nice target.  We played cat and mouse for two laps until I finally dropped him on one of the false flats whilst pushing a big gear and then the bike was over in a shade of 38 minutes.

Parked the bike up in transition and started off out, I quickly realised that the massive ramp over the bike course I had seen earlier was where I had to run.  Whoever thought that was a good idea is a complete sadist.  Then it was out onto the run proper, two laps of the lake with huge downhill to start.  By this time, I was feeling the heat at about 27 in the shade.  Legs were feeling heavy, so decided to ease into it down the hill.  Round the corner to see a waterstation, quickly chucked some over my head before starting the climb back to the palace.  Lap 1 completed in just over 12 minutes before what had started as a little stitch developed into something unbearable.  Ran past friends cheering me on (can't stop in view of my supporters), pushed on until rounding the corner to start lap two had a quick walking break to stretch out the stitch.  It seemed to help and so I pushed on, letting the hill help with the speed.  Checked watch to see HR floating at 185, euch, no wonder it was feeling so hard!  The second drag up the hill was tough, there were a much higher number of walkers than normal in a sprint distance race showing how tough people were finding it.  Ran past a friend Nick who was just finishing his first lap, couple of friendly words before I powered on...and then stopped to stretch out the stitch again.  He came past me, told me off for walking and I took it to heart.  

Put in a massive effort to finish the race strongly, went past the turning to start a new lap (huzzah) and into the finish straight  Tried to sprint to the line but I was pretty much maxed out by this point and it was probably more of an elongated hobble.  Quick celebration over the line, cheeky cold alcohol free pint and some water over the head before having a long lie down near my amazing family.  They had stood next to the circuit fornearly 90 mins cheering me on and they do help you when it gets tough.  A total time of 1h26m10s and very happy with that performance.  It always looks like you could have done more in retrospect but I think I gave it what I had.

Two weeks to the next (Olympic distance tri race), so no rest for the triathlete in race season.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done JGav - I have no idea how that compares to your previous times, but it sounds like it was a tough, hilly course and hot conditions!

DT - still training nicely I see. I don't really recall you having had a rest in many months (could be wrong?), but your comment "I don't see much good coming out of based on how I feel" suggests that you could maybe benefit from a couple of quieter weeks before the Wilmslow Half?

I've hardly run in 2 weeks, partly through injury and fatigue and partly through being very busy with holiday, work, other. I am looking to settle back into my usual weekly routine this week, starting on Wednesday evening. I am comfortable that a couple of weeks should not cause me to lose much fitness, but I don't want this period of inactivity to drag on much longer!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Nice one JGav!! Riding after a hard swim is very disorientating!

Looking forward to my race on Sunday. This is ITU Leeds number 3 ... the route changed between 1 and 2, so hard to compare my times. First year I was worried about 1500m swimming OW, so practiced a lot... however, last year and this I have not been so diligent. Last year my swim was 2 min slower, so prob going to be similar this time. The bike and run routes changed between 1 and 2, so hard to compare … but 3 is the same as last year, so I have a target at least. Should be stronger on the bike this time after TdY training but we shall see!

Nice mileage DT! Yes, I will start mara training as soon as I'm recovered from the ITU on Sunday. Plan is to follow last year's Chester regime, seeing as I managed a 7 min PB. So basically 5 days per week bike commuting, flat-out parkrun Sat, long Sun, no carbs in-between those two runs (and pretty low carb in general), and a "as long as possible" MP run mid week.

36 miles on the bike yesterday … looks like nothing today as trying to make my marking deadlines.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Bike and swim today ... Johnny Browlee was training 2 lanes away. Don't think I'll be troubling him on Sunday! ;-)
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @AndrewD this was only my third tri and second at sprint distance.  I did a sprint distance last year in almost exactly the same time, though on that one Garmin measured the bike as being short and the run as being short.  This one had a long first transition and the bike was accurate and the run was long.  So a decent improvement on last year.

Good luck for Leeds @Dr.Dan  supposed to be a great race.  Shame Ali has pulled out of the race.

Go get back into some consistency @AndrewD you'll love it when you put some back to back days in again.

More running @DT19 no rest for you eh!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done on the triathlon, jgav. I never appreciated they were such hard work. 

Dr Dan, some good training. good luck at Leeds.

Andrew, as jgav says, you just need to get a couple of little runs in. one thing I'm really hanging my hat on is consistency. I'm doing lots of easy short runs at the minute just to keep my mileage at 40-50. I think there' more to be had going that than having a few weeks out and coming back and trainer harder.

in terms of a rest, this is only my 4th weeks training having had mara taper and recovery.

today I got up and did 5 miles at recovery effort which came out 7.55 on a hilly route then tonight an opportunity arose to run straight after work. I was keen to get a tempo in before the heat returned just to confirm whether my recent indifference was heat related or not. Anyway, despite the sun coming out and having run this morning I did 4 miles at 6.28 as a steady effort with splits of 6.36, 6.30, 6.28 and 6.19. Probably one of the best paces I've posted at that effort level which is reassuring. 

Welsh castles Sunday. Annoyingly the leg I'm on was already one of the shortest at 8.85 miles. This week due to on going gas works they'e had to knock off another 1.5 miles so I'm running more closely to 10k effort now. 
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments guys - I am looking at getting out for a run tonight and will take it from there.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    How did the run go @AndrewD?

Went out with my work runclub.  10x1minute where I was covering approx 300m.  Felt good stretching the legs, upping the leg speed and trying to relax into the pace.  Felt great to start but the fatigue really does start to catch up with you.  Reps 9 and 10 were hard but I maintained my pace through the whole set.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the relay DT.

Nice sesh JGav.

Hard bike commute yesterday, followed by 6.6 mile run ... hard commute home. Worked it on the way in today too and then did 4 x 200m in the pool as the last swim. This time I spotted Ali Brownlee in the pool! One last bike commute home in the next hour ... off work tomorrow as collecting my lad from Uni, so that's it until race time.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Not great JGav - both Wednesday night and yesterday I did short easy paced runs and had to stop after about 2 miles due to pain and stiffness on the outside of my knee (the exact same spot and pain that caused me to have 3 months off injured a few years ago). The strange thing is the pain eases immediately on stopping, and within a minute I am ok to start running again, but within a mile or two the pain comes back. All very strange.

So I managed 3.5 on Wednesday and 4 yesterday, with stops.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Andrew, You may nbeed to get a physio session booked in? Could be IT band.

That sounds like a full days training Dr Dan and some celeb spotting also.

Jgav, that's some pretty sharp reps. I love how they always catch up with you once you get a couple of k of volume in.

13.1 last at almost effortless level on the edge of recovery/entry aerobic based on hr, came out 7.58 pace. Easy 5 over lunch today in advance of sundays race.

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Got a great long run in today.  12 miles at 8.50mm, through fields and across Herts countryside.  Only issue was that hayfever caught up with me big time after I stopped.  Been terrible all day!
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    How was the race DT?

Andrew ... sounds like ITB.

Nice run JGav ... same about the hay fever.

Leeds ITU was an experience. Forgot my chip, so an emergency 07:30 call home was required and my son came across town in a taxi, got as close as possible on the closed roads, and then ran down to the swim start. Alas I had already started by the time he arrived but I got the chip from him between the lake and transition. No official swim time as a result but at least I got a bike, run, T2 and over all time, so can work out a swim+T1 combo. The swim was also reduced to 750m due to mist on the lake - that was a real shame. But safety first I guess. I was in the last male wave and it then reverted to 1500m for the first women's wave only 5 min after we set off. Swim didn't go well - I'd spent too long stressing over the missing chip and wasn't mentally prepared. Even forgot to start my watch. However, the bike went well - 18.1 mph on a hilly route on a standard road bike (don't own a TT bike) ... that was 6:39 faster than last year and all down to training for last month's TdY sportive. As predicted, the run was not so good ... 2:48 down on last year when I had trained for London and had much more stamina...  main issue yesterday was that my lower back was wrecked from the bike stage.

Now it's onto full time marathon training!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

nice long run jgav. Yes hayfever is a pest!!

Dr dan, that scenario is one of my worst sport based nightmares. Not surprised it affected the swim. Looks like your biking has clearly improved. Hopefully you can get the running moving forward pretty quickly.

Race went well, here is my report I have just posted on 3.15 thread-

Welsh castles for me yesterday. My race had a 13.50 start and of course it was a warm day (will there ever be ideal racing conditions again??). I had to drive 2 hours to get there, however fortunately my leg was starting from a leisure centre so I actually had some facilities, which is a rare thing in this event.

As soon as I arrived I bumped into a friend of a friend who had gone sub 3 in Manchester for first time. I then saw a guy I recognised who was 2 years above me in school. I sort of knew he ran and was probably a bit better than me, never the less a decent target. My main target was a top 10 finish for first time in this event. Got a 2 mile warm up in then positioned myself in second row.

A group of 5 or 6 went flying off and I debated going with them but with the heat as well, it would have been crazy. After about 400m I was in about 14th place and wasn't feeling great. Not much later a little dog came sprinting passed me and another guy and joined up at with a runner just ahead and stayed with him. I just assumed he was slightly quirky and had brought his dog with him!

Anyway things settled down and I picked a few places back off and the field thinned out. Mile 1 came in at 6.02, which was a little worrying as it was a 7.2 mile race and it was hot. It was slightly downhill though so I let it go. I bashed on but was largely in no mans land now. There were 2 guys and a dog about 100m ahead but that gap seemed insurmountable. There was no one else in sight.

Mile 2 came in at 6.14 followed by a 6.06 mile 3. Suddenly the gap to the guys ahead was closing and this gave me a boost. By mile 4 I had passed 1 and was just behind dog man (6.11). I was basically running at 10k pb pace. Miles 5 and 6 were tough as they were completely open and exposed to the sun and largely climbing. I passed dogman during mile 5 and at the same time some marshalls and he started shouting at them to get rid of the dog. I explained that I thought it was his! Apparently not!

As I passed dogman it seemed the dog preferred my pace and just came with me. Now I had become dogman!!! Mile 5 was 6.39. Now I had this bloody dog racing with me. The nature of the castles relay is that teams follow it along the route and pull over at various points. It was these points whilst I was dogman that were conducive to stopping. Everyone I ran passed were all cheering the man with his dog!!! I went to great efforts to explain it wasn't and that I was concerned it was now 6 miles from home.

Ahead of me from about the start of mile 5 were 2 other runners. I was conscious I was on or around 10th place. One runner was about 100m ahead and the other 150m. The first runner was going backwards and I caught him by 5.5 miles. I thought the dog might stick with him, but no, he stuck with me! Ahead was the guy I went to school with and the gap was closing. Mile 6 was 6.28. The gap seemed too big and I felt like I needed there to be 2 miles left. But I plugged away and picked up my pace. By 6.5 miles I was on his shoulder and then went passed him quite easily. I put a good 10 m between us and then came a massive downhill to the finish area, which arguably gave him a chance, more so than if it had remained flat. I thought I had left him for dust and put in some effort on the downhill with mile 7 coming in at 5.54, just at the bottom of the hill I eased up for some reason and out of nowhere he sprinted passed me. By the time I could respond the finish line was upon us and he beat me by 3 seconds. Pace for that last 0.2 was 5.24mm.

I felt quite happy with my performance with an average pace of 6.13mm. I went through 10k in 38.45 which is my 2nd fastest time on a hot sunny day. More pleasingly I finished in 7th place and ran 30 seconds per mile faster than a very similar leg in 2017. I was only 1 minute off third place so some slight improvements and I could do well in this next year. I was also positionally the third best placed from my club over the 20 legs.

I am not sure what happened to the dog, the marshals got it off the course just before the finish line but someone said it ran away. I hope it is microchipped and someone has the sense to take it to be scanned.

I have the potential of a 5 mile race Wednesday night. My pb for that is 31.10 so slower than yesterdays average pace. I will see how I feel tomorrow morning but it would be good to chalk off a pb for the year.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    "Now I had become dogman!!! " :D:D:D:D:D

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done Dogman, I mean DT! Great report too.

Dan - sounds like a nightmare with the chip situation.

I haven't run since Friday, when I managed 3x1 mile with short walking intervals with no pain. Think this may be the way forward for a couple of weeks to get some miles in without causing further injury (hopefully).

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I have nightmares about race logistics going wrong, never actually happened to me though thankfully.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Got out at lunch.  3 miles maybe tempo HR kept under 160 (my threshold is closer to 170) pace came in at 7.30mm.  Then a short recovery (going past Westminster and there's loads of pedestrians there) before hammering out a mile which took 6.05.  Slower than my last dedicated 1 mile TT which I did in 5.53 but then I am carrying some fatigue.

Nice running Dogman @DT19
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Take it easy Andrew.

Nice going JGav ... and no peds taken out too.

Just bike commuting here ... still feeling Sunday.