Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Well done Andrew. There's been a bit of rain here in Leeds today ... but stopped now so looks like I'll dodge it on the return home.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Pouring in Manchester just as I am about to set off for the Roses T20 cricket! Now about 17 degrees: ran earlier for first time for about 6 weeks, just 2.4k, and it was 24! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done, Andrew.

I went out for 4 at hmp as planned so target of 6.20. At 2.7 I had to stop to heave. Never had that before in training. I completed to 3 miles then for 6.18mm for a reasonably decent session, though disappointed not to finish the 4. That should feel much easier when autumn temps arrive. I also think I am viral as felt rubbish all week and have ear ache on left side.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I now think my fatigue all week has been viral ... sore throat coming on now and really tired.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Felt bad on Sat but dragged a 21:36 parkrun out of the ashes ... early night and the a solid 18 miles in 2:34 and 125 bpm ... felt good until the last couple, although not as brisk as last year's.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I had a work meeting Saturday morning so got back about 11am and did 7 at low level easy. 

Today I was pleased to see a better forecast and was out at 8.40. At 15 miles my hr had only just tripped from recovery zone to easy. As a standalone 15 it was possibly the easiest I can recall. Then the sun came out.....I needed 21 for a 60 mile week. From about 18 miles my hr was rising fast. Came out 8.12 pace for 146bpm so still largely comfortable. What a difference the weather makes!!! if only I'd got out at 8.

Nice parkrunning and long run Dr Dan. 

I'm due a cut back now as in last 4 weeks I have run 201 miles. I've a 10k next Saturday so good excuse to take it easier. 
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Got out for 11k this morning, bit muggy but otherwise ok.  Running on feel and it was 7.55mm, so bad but it didn't feel super easy.  Need to build some mileage over the next couple of weeks and then race to see where I'm really at.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Probably not a bad week to cut back DT, given the forecast for 5 days of 30+ (here at least).

I ran on Friday and it felt like a real slog, obviously a jump from 10-12 miles a week over the past 6 weeks to 18 last week was too much. So fit it short at 3 miles.

Aiming for 18/20 this week and then start to reintroduce a session a week through August.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    7 miles at 7.30mm in the lunch heat.  Running with a faster colleague really pushed me to keep going when it was feeling hard.
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    DT, similar story with me as I went out at a similar time of day (08:30) ... first 15 were at 8:30/m and HR was rock bottom ... I was even considering doing 20 at that stage. Then quite quickly the fatigue set in, the pace dropped and the HR went up. Not sure it was weather related though.

1, 8:25, 119 bpm
    2, 8:19, 124
    3, 8:30, 125
    4, 8:33, 125
    5, 8:38, 125
    6, 8:33, 125
    7, 8:33, 124
    8, 8:38, 124
    9, 8:43, 126
    10, 8:30, 124
    11, 8:24, 126
    12, 8:20, 127
    13, 8:30, 125
    14, 8:29, 126
    15, 8:29, 127
    then...
    16, 8:58, 128
    17, 8:48, 130
    18, 8:41, 130

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Not planning to run this week until parkrun ... also no cycling. However, I do plan to climb Snowden, via the amazing Crib Goch (weather permitting), so not a complete rest! Looks like North Wales will miss the heat wave this week! :-(

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, Dr Dan, a very similar look to my run. Good luck with the Snowden climb!

I went out for a 5 mile recovery over lunch. The heat hit me as soon as I left the building. I'm not surprised to read that it is officially the hottest day of the year. Consequently 5 miles became 5k.

I vowed after last summers mara training that I wouldn't do it again over summer, however last summer was a piece of cake in comparison. The good thing with an Autumn mara is however that you are training conditions where it is almost certain to be much cooler on race day. With a spring mara, as we saw with London this year, it is the opposite

• Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Snowdon sounds awesome, not climbed it yet but the Brutal Extreme Tri really does tickle my fancy, half iron, iron or double iron distance with the end of the run being up and down Snowdon!!!!

http://www.brutalevents.co.uk/the_brutal.html
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Snowdon! I still have nightmares! Probably my worst ever race, and that is up and down the easier Llanberis Path. Wasn't too bad on the way up to the summit on what was a very hot summer's day in 1978; on the way down I was passed by seemingly hundreds and had to walk with dreadful blisters that needed first aid afterwards. Great even otherwise with friends coming first and third, the winner breaking his own course record, completing the 10 miles in 64:28. Enjoy, DrDan!

What 10k, DT

JGav: any races under your belt yet? I'm going to LFoM on Friday but not ready to race yet as the longest run since early June is 3k, with a walk break in the middle. Knee not quite right yet.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Alehouse, it is the Magor 10k organised by Chepstow Harriers. A largely low key affair with only 250 places but with a very fast profile. Looking on strava last year, it pretty much came in at with 50 feet of elevation. It's quite unusual as it's a Saturday morning and with a 10am start it gives my body a chance to wake up!

Hope you are feeling better since your last post here? Sounds like you are if you are at least running again.

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Alehouse, hope you’re doing well. What happened after your last injury problem/health scare?

Snowden - rather you than me JGav!!

DT - sounds like you have had a good spell of training (especially considering the heat) so good luck in the 10k!

4 miles for me this morning- went out at 9.45 and it was already roasting! Must have walked about 3 miles this afternoon/evening on a family trip to the seaside too! Will probably leave it until tomorrow evening around this sort of time before attempting tomorrow’s 5 miles.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Solid 5.75 miles in 45 mins this morning, starting to get into a rhythm and get some run fitness back.

I'm going to do the LFOM this week.  First standalone run race in a very long time.  Will be nice to see where I'm at, though don't expect any PBs given it's the middle of the day and probably roasting.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done both! How far is lfom?

3 x 1 mile last night off 3 min. Very hot of course. came in 6.09, 6.04 and 6.02. Not flat out bit probably faster than 10k pace. 

very gentle 8 mile mlr over lunch today. Feel quite rested now with reduced miles and effort. rest day tomorrow then a very light 3-5 miles Friday with strides. 

I'm currently on for my highest ever mileage month (currently 204 in march). Last week at 60.2 was 0.2 higher than my previous highest so quite pleased with where I'm at. 
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Last Friday of the Month - the Serpentine 5k race in Hyde Park.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Best of luck on Friday JGav - judging by the forecast you may be running in 36 degrees or a thunderstorm!! 

DT - great mileage. Make the most of them, and the cooler conditions, at the weekend.

Today didn’t work out as planned as I spent the whole morning with a migraine and splitting headache. Didn’t want to abandon my run today completely, but was wary of overdoing it in case the migraine had been triggered by a bit of sunstroke or dehydration from the trip to the beach yesterday, so just did 3 miles this evening once things had cooled down slightly.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Went to register for the race and it's full :-(  Not sure 36 degree heat racing is for me anyway but I did want to give it a go.  Will find another race for next week instead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well my on-going race day weather curse continues. Whilst the temps are reasonable, the wind forecast is now 17mph and it'll be a headwind for 5k and a tailwind for 5k.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Couldn’t run today as it was just too hot to sensibly consider during the day and my wife was out this evening so I had to be at home to put little one to bed and obviously stay at home! 

Maybe tomorrow night .... dodging the thunderstorms potentially.

Unlucky JGav, sure you’ll find something else. How close to you is your nearest parkrun? Or are Saturday mornings not convenient for you?

DT, I’d rather race on a windy day than a day like today!
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @AndrewD Parkruns are really difficult for me hence me never having done one.  It's the sabbath and I don't use the car.  In theory I can run there and back to my nearest one which is about 5k away for a total of 15k.  It's round a lake on mud paths and so I've never been that bothered .
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Can you use your bike JGav?

Alehouse ... the up-down Snowden from Llanberis race was just before we arrived. Not my cuppa! We did the whole horseshoe on Thursday via the scary and very challenging Crib Goch route... 9 hours in the sun. Legs were good going upwards but I hate descending. Ankles and feet a bit battered this morning, so I gave parkrun a miss. Wet and windy 20 to look forward to in the morning.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds 'fun' Dr Dan.

Reasonable race this morning. came in 38.23 for 13th place. Lost pb (38.18) in mile 6 at 6.20 and course measured consistently on Strava about 40-50m long. Average pace of 6.09mm should have got me 38.12. 

It's better than where I thought I was and I think i could go sub 83 in an autumn half for sure and starting to believe with a good 12 weeks training to come that sub 3 at York is there for me. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done DT! Might be worth finding another 10k in a couple of weeks. And you have every chance of sub 83. Marathons of course are harder to predict but am sure you will have done the training to go sub 3.

Not surprised you gave parkrun a miss, Dan! 

JGav, worth looking to see if there is a Great Run Local near you. I've done a few on Sunday mornings: low key version of parkrun. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, it's unfortunately going to be difficult as I go on holiday for 2 weeks on Friday. I've entered halfs for 1st and 3rd Sunday's  in September. I have had a look for a decent 10k over weekends of 21st and 28th August as I know that if I had another crack I would go harder earlier, however there's nothing really about. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    21st and 28th are Tuesdays according to my calendar, DT! Trafford 10k, rescheduled following March's snow, is on Sunday September 2nd, if that fits! Not many faster courses. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I thought they were Sunday's. 19th and 26th then. 

Thats same date as wolves half unfortunately.