The Middle Ground

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I will simply because it's a great event and with gfa tightening I never know when I might not get back in. 

In terms of training for that, I'm at stage now where I only need a dedicated 12 week block. I want to get some xc in over December and January so will pick it up early Feb. 

Planning a 12 miler tonight. 
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good news DT!

5K race for me ... very tough windy conditions on the exposed Brownlee cycle circuit. I went faster than last time and put in a strong last mile, and a long 150m sprint finish, so happy enough with 21:08.

Going all out for sub 21 at parkrun ... last year it was normal but this year it has evaded me!
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    21:10 parkrun and the my 2nd "20" today ... first 14 at 8:35/m ... clearly too fast as I slowed ... and then wheels came off for last 3. Grim but at least it's done!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I went to parkrun to run as a session. Decided on 6.05 pace as that was what my schedule said and it sounded right and it would just get me sub 19. Miles 1 and 2 came in bang on. Then half way into mile 3 my stomach went. Had to briefly and again with 400 to go so a 6.24 mile 3 though this then enabled a reasonable sprint finish at 4.48 pace for final 0.11. Came in 5th for 19.07.

20 for me also yesterday. Kept it fairly easy at 8.17mm. Felt tired and leggy for the entirety and didn't much enjoy most of it. That's 4 down.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Those 20 milers sound horrible! Good work getting through them!

I managed to trudge out 5 runs this week, totalling 18 miles which is the best week I've had since May.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

They arent so bad in winter. I do find mara training in the summer much more draining than over winter, though of course winter does bring about its own challenges not least route planning on dark evenings.

Progress, Andrew and the cricket season must be closing in?

5 mile recovery over lunch at 8.41mm average.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

DT - yes, I can't play this weekend and then the last game is the following Saturday, then I can re-focus on running.

By my maths, it then gives me 11 weeks until my target 10k (13 from now). Probably not enough to fully do myself justice, but long enough to get a good training block in. Then I can hopefully build on that over the winter and target some spring PBs.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good running Andrew ... keep that up and you'll do well in 11 weeks!

Bad luck on the parkrun mishap DT ... nice "20", even if it was tough.

Dropped my son back off at Uni yesterday, so 8 hour round-trip and hence no exercise. Good job as my DOMS from "hitting the wall" on Sunday were pretty bad. Back on the bike today and will delay my MP run until tomorrow. I think I'll have to consider a Spring marathon (Manchester) as I'm really not going to be in good enough shape to do Yorkshire justice ... I'll run it but I'll have to target a slow time and make sure I get around unscathed.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

You can make a lot of gains in 8 weeks, Dr Dan so hold off any decision making just now. I recall last year I was really struggling then September came and it all clicked into place.

I'm still a little sore from Sunday. Thursday and Friday look good days to train weatherwise, at least they do here.

York should be an MG gathering in that Duck is doing it and Mr V is doing the 10 miler.

I happen to be in Edinburgh (by the looks) the weekend of the mara festival. It was my plan B from London. Still tempted to book it in case London is hot again etc and if not just run it at long run pace. Alternatively the 10k on the Saturday morning is tempting.

Andrew, I think 11 weeks is plenty of time to fully maximise yourself for a 10k. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh isn't a cheap option from what I remember ... but if you're there anyway it makes more sense.

Yep, I won't make any decisions until race week. I will definitely run it, just know it won't be worth chasing a PB as I have only managed about 550 miles since last October's marathon! I'm running Vale of York HM on 9th Sept and should have a couple more 20s in the bag by then. I managed 90:24 last year which converted to 3:22:56 four weeks later at Chester ... basically I'll take my 2018 HM time and use it to predict a sensible finish time from York and then stick with that. I also have a 1 mile, 5K, and 7 mile trail race in September, so should b a bit sharper by October.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well, just looking at accommodation costs and it is pretty expensive. I may see if we can do it a different weekend. My entire York weekend (train fare, hotel and race entry) is less than one nights premier Inn in Edinburgh.

Ok so last night 4 at hmp. Target was 6.20mm. My usual average hr for this sort of session is high 160s. It was pretty warm and sunny at 5pm. First mile came in 6.21. My first mile in these sessions when they go well is usually a bit faster than target so I knew I wasn't going well. By mile 3 I was suffering but persevered to 4. At 3.8 miles at had to stop briefly to dry heave. Session came out at 6.30mm however my average hr was only 162 and my max hr only hit 169. As a pace v average hr this was well up there as one of my best, especially given warmth, however the effort felt way higher. Not entirely sure what is going on.

I've run 6 straight days now so day off today I think. 6 at mp tomorrow and 13-15 mlr Friday. Both look set to be cooler days so i'll get a better idea of any issues.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hope you feel revitalised (at least a little) from having a day off DT.

Managed to slip in 1.5 miles at tempo pace (around 7.20m/m) during my run last night. it's not much but it is a start at doing something at a higher effort level again. I'm also planning a parkrun on Saturday, just to give myself an idea of how much my fitness has dipped since the spring (!) and to give me a time from which to work out training paces.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    DT - might just be a case of the accumulated fatigue over 6 days making the perceived effort seem high. Day off hopefully will pay dividends.

Andrew - nice tempo section. Good luck at parkrun.

I did 10.6 miles with 8.5 of them at MP ( which came out at 7:55/m) ... comfortably hard session. I did it just after work and then cycled home straight after which was a bit of a grind. Unfortunately I forgot my HR monitor, so don't have those data.

out...
    0.25, 2:02
    1, 8:07
    2, 7:54
    3, 7:59
    4, 7:53

back...
    5, 7:47
    6, 7:52
    7, 7:48
    8, 8:01
    0.25, 1:58

I did the same session 12 months ago and it came out at 7:35/m.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Back to it.  Was in Canada for 10 days for holiday and wedding.  I took my gear with the best intentions but did 0 runs in the end.  Kids too jetlagged, me too tired and family wedding took up so much time.  Decided to just enjoy the holiday in the end and not worry about running. 

Back at work and did 4 miles at lunch, 4.27min/k.  Not bad considering, now to build some mileage and consistency.  Also got to use my new shoes (same model as my old ones, just new), forgot what they were supposed to feel like.  My old ones are proper dead!

Looks like some good running @DT19 @AndrewD @Dr.Dan

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good trip JGav!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Glad you had a good trip JGav! 

21:34 on the watch for me at parkrun this morning which amazed me. Was expecting my perceived drop in fitness over the summer to result in a time around 23 mins. Instead I ran at Pb pace for the first half, then slowed a bit but still came in only 15 seconds slower than the time I did on the same course back in the spring (just before my 10k pb)!

All in all, a decent exercise!
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Nice!

Thought I'd go for sub 21 but I had no legs today ... 21:26.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Went running at 06:15 so I could avoid the rain ... 22 miles. Tough last few miles but better than last week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nice 22, Dr Dan and decent parkrunning. 

Sounds like a decent trip jgav. isn't your wife/partner heavily pregnant now? 

Good parkrunning Andrew. Sounds like you're in a great position to kick on. 

I was due to do 20 today but couldn't get out until 10. by then it had started raining so swapped it out to tomorrow. did a decent 8 on a hilly loop just to open legs out as I had prepared for a 20. 7 weeks now it'll be done. 

Tricky week this week as I've a half Sunday I want a good go at but have to also keep my eye on the main goal. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Not heavily pregnant, about half way now and she's still trying to get out running occasionally.  I'm trying to dissuade her from running and to switch to swimming for now.

I managed a healthy 5ish miles at lunch in 37 mins loving the cooler temps.  HR was a relatively low 160 average.  Back to normality after a stupidly disrupted August, hoping injury stays away for the final push to November target race.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    How was the 20 DT?

Welld done on the 5ish JGav.

Off work Mon/Tues, so no bike... cycled in/out today and also ran 12.5 with 10.5 at MP. Felt good and HR was OK.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good running, Dr Dan. 

20 went very well. Felt pretty loser legged so just went with legs. Came in 7.42mm average. Followed up yesterday with ab7 mile recovery.

Today I combined an mlr and mp run as I'm racing Sunday do 10 miles. started with 5 easy followed by 3 at 6.47mm then 2 easy. had an hour at home then bodypump. 

I've run 63 miles in last 7 days but feel good. Though I do need to taper now. planning 5 at recovery tomorrow then 3 Friday and rest Saturday. that'll give me another 200 mile month which is decent given I've had a 12 day holiday. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Insane mileage @DT19 I don't know how you do it without breaking.

7.5k today at 4.35m/km pretty happy with that apart from some GI problems towards the end.  Loving my new trainers but I know I could do with some which are better for longer distances, these are lightweight and 4mm drop.  

@Dr.Dan training for anything atm?
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Yorkshire Marathon, same as DT... only a lot slower.

I also have a HM, a 1 mile track race, a 5K race and a 7 mile trail race coming up in September!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Jgav, there is a compromise required to run higher mileage which is a reduction in speed. My easy runs are run now at the same pace as they were 3-4 years ago, however over a half I am about 6-7 minutes faster. I often feel quire refreshed after an easy 10 miler done at 8 mm pace now.

My sessions are also more conservative in that I wont do 2 big sessions in a week and rarely do vo2 intervals which on the whole under a cost benefit analysis for me provide more risk than gain.

5 miles for me over lunch at 8.32mm average was quite enjoyable. I'm on 198 for month now. Tomorrow will be 3.5 with strides before work in order to maximise downtime before sunday.

I go through stages where every run I go on for about 2 weeks will come with gi issues thyen it wont affect me for months.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    As the others have said, great mileage DT!

Did a decent little tempo session this evening, only 2 miles at tempo pace at a 7:14 m/m average but that compares very favourably with the first tempo run of the last training block, which of course yielded a 10k PB.

Looking at entering a local 5 mile race on 30 Sept which is billed as being flat and fast! Not done a 5 miler since 2015, when I did one in just over 37 mins so I would hope a sizeable pb could be achieved this time around which would be a nice confidence boost a month into the training block.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sounds promising, Andrew. 5 miler sounds like a good shout. You can run it at your planned 10k pace to see how it might feel, but know it'll cut short.

Didn't run this morning, so i'll do 4 very easy with strides tonight. Legs are feeling pretty good. Weather is threatening to interfere a bit with temps rising beyond where they have been the last few weeks. Just need to get this race nailed then have a big 4 weeks in September before a 2 week taper.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a good plan DT. 10k PB pace in the spring was around 7:04m/m, which would give a 5 mile time of 35:20. Hopefully that is realistic.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Finally, a sub 21 parkrun.

20:59.  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    great stuff dr dan!

83.35 today. A 4 second pb and 50 faster than last year in this race. Mildly disappointed with pb margin as feel I've more in me. having run my highest ever mileage this week at 62 I can't be too disappointed.